Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

"Math Rock" (And/Or Songs Containing Numbers or Math Terms)

Regular Social Butterfly

"Math Rock" (And/Or Songs Containing Numbers or Math Terms)

This topic is wide open. Could be actual Math Rock, with complex rhythms or weird time signatures, such as the band American Football with their song Never Meant: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfnXdXpjL0

OR you could also include songs containing numbers and/or Math terms in either the title or the lyrics, such as Love Minus Zero / No Limit by Bob Dylan.

Whatever! Oh, and no worries if you post something that someone else has already posted here. That would just be Math Rock Squared! 🤓

Social Butterfly

Good topic! I love math rock Heart

Bubble Dream - CHON

Regular Social Butterfly

@Cirice Wow! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing that! Was not familiar with CHON. 

@MaVolta @vitom712041

Yeah the Beatles most definitely! I think Strawberry Fields is mostly 4/4 but then goes to 2/4 in the "nothing to get hung about" part, then 3/4 in the "strawberry fields forever" parts. Been reading up on George Harrison, the sitar & the complex polyrhythms of Indian music. More about that later. I think one of the most rhythmically complex Beatles songs is Happiness is a Warm GunHaven't "worked out the problem" on that one yet though. 🤓

@Loulit Couldn't get the link to open on the Christina Aguilera song but will have to search for that one a little later. 

Social Butterfly

@millineutronwrote:

@Cirice Wow! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing that! Was not familiar with CHON.

So glad you liked it!

I first heard CHON a few years ago when they appeared in my Tumblr feed. I thought they were amazing musicians so I subscribed to their Youtube channel. Bubble Dream is from CHON's first self-released EP Newborn Sun (2013). Since then, they've signed with a record label and released two albums.

Here's another guitar playthrough from Newborn Sun, a little more "jazzy" than Bubble Dream, but just as good.

Dew - CHON

Regular Social Butterfly

@Cirice Another nice one!

Here's a classic ... & the only song I can think of that mentions slide rules (anybody else remember those?):

(What a) Wonderful World  by Sam Cooke, who co-wrote it with Lou Adler & Herb Alpert. Later covered by Otis Redding, "Art Garfunkel with James Taylor & Paul Simon" (who added a verse about the Middle Ages), and Herman's Hermits, who changed the "geography" line to:

"Don't know much about geometry,
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra,
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know that 1 and 1 is 2,
And if this one could be with you,
What a wonderful world this would be!"

Honored Social Butterfly

@millineutronwrote:

Here's a classic ... & the only song I can think of that mentions slide rules (anybody else remember those?):

(What a) Wonderful World  by Sam Cooke, who co-wrote it with Lou Adler & Herb Alpert. Later covered by Otis Redding, "Art Garfunkel with James Taylor & Paul Simon" (who added a verse about the Middle Ages), and Herman's Hermits, who changed the "geography" line to:

"Don't know much about geometry,
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra,
But I do know that 1 and 1 is 2,
And if this one could be with you,
What a wonderful world this would be!"

Good one!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Social Butterfly

@MaVoltawrote:

@millineutronwrote:

Good one!

Thanks! I think I still have a slide rule ... somewhere. That song got me thinking about how a simple T.I. scientific calculator used to cost around $300 back when I was taking biochem classes at UCLA, which is why I got real used to a slide rule! And how a huge refrigerated roomful of linked computers (@ my first job out of college) had way less computational power than an Apple Watch has today. The funny thing is, it doesn't really seem like that long ago. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun!

Honored Social Butterfly

Three Times a Lady - Lionel Ritchie

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Social Butterfly

Knock Three Times -- Tony Orlando & Dawn

Social Butterfly

"ONE IS THE LONLIEST NUMBER"- 3 DOG NIGHT; "IT TAKES TWO"- MARVIN GAYE & TAMMY TERRELL; "28 OR 6 TO 4-" BLOOD SWEAT& TEARS? & OF COURSE:"NUMBER 9" THE FAB FOUR!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

Seven Days a Thousand Times   Lee Brice

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

3/5 Of A Mile In 10 Seconds          Jefferson Airplane

Conversationalist

Forget the downbeats.  I have enough trouble keeping up with the count.

So in the light, how about Take Five by Dave Brubeck?

Regular Social Butterfly

@vitom712041wrote:

Forget the downbeats.  I have enough trouble keeping up with the count.

Thanks for that! Makes me feel a little better about being polyrhythmically challenged. 

@nyadrn wrote: Sounds good to me!

Yay! I'm honored!

@MaVolta

Good one!

@Loulit wrote: There are like a million of these. (Pun intended.)

Haha 🤓love it! So how about this one:

Million Years Ago -- Adele

Honored Social Butterfly

Million Reasons              Lady Gaga

Honored Social Butterfly

I suspect much of the music by The Beatles would qualify in the changing beat / odd rhythms category! I think it became something of a signature for their music, but I don't know how to figure it out.  These songs change rhythm, and I'm sure there are many others.

I'm Looking Through You

Help

Strawberry Fields Forever  (try figuring that one!)

Regular Contributor

Happiness is a Warm Gun was absolutely all over the place when it comes to time signature.

Honored Social Butterfly

1984              David Bowie

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

Honored Social Butterfly

99 Miles from L.A.           Johnny Mathis

Honored Social Butterfly

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon

Social Butterfly

19th Nervous Breakdown

The Rolling Stones

There are like a million of these. (Pun intended.)

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Social Butterfly

-- The Beach Boys

-- Anna Kendrick
Social Butterfly

Revolution #9

-- The Beatles

-- Anna Kendrick
Honored Social Butterfly

@millineutronwrote:

This topic is wide open. Could be actual Math Rock, with complex rhythms or weird time signatures, such as the band American Football with their song Never Meant: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfnXdXpjL0

OR you could also include songs containing numbers and/or Math terms in either the title or the lyrics, such as Love Minus Zero / No Limit by Bob Dylan.

Whatever! Oh, and no worries if you post something that someone else has already posted here. That would just be Math Rock Squared! 🤓

Sounds good to me!

Conversationalist

The Eleven ==== Grateful Dead

This song is all about math - and psychedelic, hippie nonsense.  And odd musical time signatures.  Common time in music is sometimes also called 4/4 - that’s 4 beats in 1 measure.  The Eleven is an odd time signature known as 11/12.  They drop the last beat.  So instead of the beat going 1234, 1234, 1234 it goes like this: 123, 456, 789, 10 11.  That drives the beat really fast and the Dead would morph common time into The Eleven and back again over the course of, usually, about 10 minutes.  Lots of fun.

Regular Social Butterfly

@vitom712041

Niiiice! I'm pretty sure Mickey Hart was one of the early rock drummers to experiment with polyrhythms etc, and was influenced by the Nigerian percussionist, Babatunde Olatunji, who came to America in the late 50's. Thanks for the great explanation of 11/12 time, although I can't always find the downbeats myself as I'm listening. Tricky stuff! The Elevenhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5McdXcZKbw

Another very polyrhythmically talented drummer is Danny Carey of Tool. For example, on their song Forty Six & 2https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8CWXPXujXc

Honored Social Butterfly

1-2-3. Len Barry

” 1-2-3, oh, that's how elementary it's gonna be C'mon, let's fall in love, it's easy (it's so easy) Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby“

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP