Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What is the best Beatles Song ever?

Honored Social Butterfly

What is the best Beatles Song ever?

Beatles music has been playing for more than fifty years. Their songs are as relevant today as they were in the 1960’s. As an avid Beatles fan, I am always interested in what others consider their best song. I’ll start by saying “All You Need is Love” is my personal favorite. They have so many wonderful songs so I know this post won’t dissappoint!   Kathy T.

Honored Social Butterfly

"Let It Be"--such a sincere, prayerful and comforting song

Social Butterfly

Too many great songs to choose only one. Dear Prudence, I am the Walrus, Baby Your a Rich Man and all the takes of Strawberry Fields Forever come to mind. Usually whatever I’m listening to is my favorite. A Day In The Life is probably the song I listen to most often. 

Honored Social Butterfly

As I posted before, “All you need is love” is my absolute go to, cheer me up, make me

smile and sing song. Just makes my day

to hear it! I truly love all their songs, but

some more than others.The genius

collaboration that was Lennon/McCartney

is a rare and amazing thing. I feel blessed

to have their music in my life still!!

Conversationalist

Where do you start? It's a great body of work. Almost sacreligious to pick 2 or 3.

I mostly like the ones with the least overdubs, where they play as pure rock 

quartet. 1.) Back in the USSR-just two guitars, harmony vocals, punchy rhythm section  

work by Paul/bass, Ringo/drums.

2.) Helter Skelter-for basically the same reasons.

I suggest you all get a copy of The Beatles Naked. No strings or fills. Just them.

I think their whole catalog is utterly fabulous, I could have any of them. I just happen

to like these two for that reason.

Honored Social Butterfly

I threw a couple of Beatles parties at the library I worked at.  At one of the parties, my guest speaker was a professor of music who talked about how really very good the Beatles were at song composition.  He cited "A Day in the Life" and "She's Leaving Home" as examples of excellence.

Contributor

I love all the Beatles songs but the first one of I think of is the song my husband and I called "Our" song when we first began going steady 48 years ago. The song was With a Little Help From My Friends. Still love it! Tres

Social Butterfly

We can all agree picking one song is impossible. But if you twist my arm I'll go with side 2 of Abbey Road beginning with Mean Mr Mustard and ending with

Her Majesty.

Need to shine these up a bit.

DBEATLS.jpg

Silver Conversationalist

I think all Beatles songs are great!!! Two favorites are Hey Jude and Get Back!! 

Regular Social Butterfly

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NCtzkaL2t_Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Above: "Don't Let Me Down"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAn-AWXtHv0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Above: "Imagine"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BGLGzRXY5Bw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Above: "Revolution"

silly me....I couldn't pick one! Smiley Tongue

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Just saw this on YT:

Can't believe Sir Ringo just turned 79 and Sir Paul 77! 

Peace and Love!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

I'm just glad there's 2 still here to show us how great a group they actually were.
They really kicked off the entire the British Rock Invasion. Great song writing,
playing, and vocals. Let's not forget the Fifth Beatle: Sir George Martin who's
production and arrangement values made for many memorable recordings.
I know those not physically present, are jammin' in heaven.
Recognized Social Butterfly

As many before me have expressed...how is it possible to say which Lennon/McCartney composition is the best? Their vast catalog has already, and will continue, to hold up to the test of time...IT'S JUST THAT COMPREHENSIVELY MULTI-GENERATIONAL. Having said that...these are among my very favorite:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps.....a magnificent bluesy lead primarily by Eric Clapton captures me

Here Comes The Sun.....an uplifting effect on me

Revolution.....you say you want one?

Peace and Love

Merely OneTokeOTL
Conversationalist

As I have said before. Too many great songs to choose from to pick just one. Your three choices are great for sure, but that song catalog is too deep and fabulous to pick just one.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

When I made this post, I should of really said what’s your favorite Beatles song. I do agree that their body of work is amazing and it’s impossible to say what’s the best song they composed. Your three choices are amazing 👍

Honored Social Butterfly

My personal favorite Beatles song is Yesterday.

"Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away.  Now it looks as though they're here to stay.  Oh, I believe in yesterday."

Regular Contributor

There are way too many favorites, so I can't pick just one. I go from Baby's in Black to If I fell to Helter Skelter. I love them all.
Honored Social Butterfly

Omg a true Beatles lover! Agreed that it’s hard to pick one song! I love your two choices- In my life is my brothers favorite- another Beatle lover. My list of favs would run forever but my honorable mentions are: Revolution, She Loves You, Get Back, Eight Days a Week, Two of Us, Nowhere Man, Thank you Girl, It won’t be long. I could go on forever! Thanks so much for your post!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh my! That's a tough one. There are two that especially stand out to me. 

Let It Be - (1970 album, Let It Be) This was their last single from their last album to be released. McCartney said it was inspired by a dream about his late mother, whose name was Mary. To many fans, it became something of a Beatles farewell anthem. I was in a high school folk / pop group and we sang this a lot because it had great harmonies.

In My Life - (1965 album, Rubber Soul)  IMO, this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The lyrics are especially amazing since it seems to be reflections of a much older person, yet John Lennon was only 25 when he wrote it.  Rubber Soul is still my favorite Beatles album. 

Honorable mentions to -

Yesterday (1965, Help) Possibly the most covered Beatles song ever

Here Comes the Sun (1969, Abbey Road) 

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (1968, The Beatles, White Album)

Come Together (1969, Abbey Road) IMO, one of their best "fun" songs 

My favorite cover of a Beatles song -

Help - covered by Deep Purple (1968, Shades of Deep Purple) Deep Purple singer, Rod Evans, came up with the idea of singing Help as a ballad. It was reported that John Lennon heard it, and remarked that this was how he envisioned it being sung in the first place but management wanted it sung up-tempo for the movie. Lennon said it was meant to be a ballad.

Always fun to chat about The Beatles!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Trying  to  figure  out  my  favorite  Beatles'  song  is  like  giving  me  a  big  bowl  of  popcorn  and  asking  me  what  is  my  favorite  piece;  I  just  can't  do  it.

Conversationalist

Simply put, ditto. They're all great. No comparison needed. If you need to hear how good they were as a band listen to Beatles, Naked. Great raw album.
Honored Social Butterfly

While My Guitar Gently Weeps    Love it  and love this cover Heart

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

I agree and an absolutely great song, and maybe the best cover of a Beatles song ever. But then again, look at the personnel in that band. Jeff Lynn, and Tom Petty on vocals, Dhani on acoustic , Steve Winwood, Ferrone on drums, and of course Prince on guitar. Great solo on that Tele he plays all his serious solos on.
The night I saw that show when he came with that particular Tele on, I knew he meant business. Love that rendition. In my heart, I I knew George was up there jammin' too.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Love those guys together. Such a great cover of a great song. Especially love that Dhani is playing on it. His Dad would be proud.

Today I’m loving Two of Us. Reminds me of my husband- May he rest in peace 💦

Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

Love those guys together. Such a great cover of a great song. Especially love that Dhani is playing on it. His Dad would be proud.

Today I’m loving Two of Us. Reminds me of my husband- May he rest in peace 💦

Awwwww. That’s nice 🙂

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Come on you must have one song that makes your heart sing every time you hear it! 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP