CLOSE ×

Search

What Are Your Favorite Songs? Why? ๐ŸŽต

Anonymous
Not applicable

What Are Your Favorite Songs? Why? ๐ŸŽต

Sunday - July 11, 2021

• You probably have several.
  • Feel free to stop by each day to add songs.
  • We would luv to hear from you!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

I have that soundtrack ๐Ÿ’œ

Recognized Social Butterfly

This is difficult.  It depends on context.  Favorite song by artist?  Season?  Period in my life?  Hard to pick just one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CaptainMura wrote:

This is difficult.  It depends on context.  Favorite song by artist?  Season?  Period in my life?  Hard to pick just one.

๐Ÿ’ฅHi @CaptainMura I <created this thread to have a spot to relax and chat with you awesome folks.> ๐Ÿน Hmmm, just post what you want. There are <no rules or bosses on this thread>. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I like to <post one each day.> While others post a <list for a one-time thread>. Lol, some lists are huge!! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ It is so good to see you here. Thank you!!! ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Honored Social Butterfly

I hadn't thought about this band in a long time, and then I discovered them again on YT. I have enjoyed watching many of the performance videos. Always smiling, having a great time on stage, lots of energy, and in the 80's, such acrobatics like I've never seen before. I started downloading their albums, and ordered a few more cds and dvds. Their songs make me happy when I'm blue, or feeling a bit down, or listen while getting my exercise and walking. I especially love the power ballads. Their music helped me through this past year. Music is a great healer. They are now my favorite band, and I already have tickets to see them next April in Vegas!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž  The lyrics to this one says it all . . .

The Best Is Yet To Come  -  Scorpions ๐Ÿ’› 

We cross another road
And face another day
Soldiers never die
They only fade away
How can we grow old
When the soundtrack of our lives is rock and roll!!!
And the best is yet to come
I know, you know
That we've only just begun
Through the highs and lows
And how can I live without you
You're such a part of me
And you've always been the one
Keeping me forever young
And the best is yet to come!

And . . .

There's No One Like You  ๐Ÿค˜ ๐Ÿฆ‚๐Ÿฆ‚๐Ÿฆ‚๐Ÿฆ‚๐Ÿฆ‚  ๐Ÿ’› 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Anonymous
Not applicable

• @MaVolta what is YT? Lol, go ahead and laugh at my ignorance!! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Those ๐Ÿฆ‚ look dangerous!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
  • Thank you for taking the time to share with us. ๐Ÿค—
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous -  Sorry!  YT = YouTube. Don't feel bad. I didn't discover YT until I retired a few years ago! Had no idea how much content was there. I thought it was just for kids posting videos, sorta like Tik Tok.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @MaVolta I have been watching YouTube <free> movies for years. But never heard it called YT!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Regular Contributor

The Last Resort by The Eagles is my number 1 favorite song of all time. The melody is beautiful, Don's voice is perfect, and the message is clear. If you haven't heard it before it is very memorable.

https://youtu.be/HJF3tDdNk5w

She came from Providence, the one in Rhode Island

Where the Old World shadows hang heavy in the air

She packed her hopes and dreams like a refugee

Just as her father came from across the sea

She heard about a place people were smiling

They spoke about the Red Manโ€™s way how they loved the land.

They came from everywhere to the Great Divide

Seeking a place to stand or a place to hide

Down in the crowded bars, out for a good time

Canโ€™t wait to tell you all what itโ€™s like up there

They called it Paradise I donโ€™t know why.

Somebody laid the mountains low while the town got high

Then the chilly winds blew down across the desert

Through the canyons of the coast to the Malibu

Where the pretty people play, hungry for power

To light their neon ways and give them things to do.

Some rich men came and raped the land but nobody caught โ€˜em

Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and Jesus people bought โ€˜em

They called it Paradise, the place to be

They watched the hazy sun sinking in the sea.

We can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina

Just like the missionaries did so many years ago

They even that brought a neon sign that said โ€œJesus is comingโ€

They brought the white manโ€™s burden down, brought the white manโ€™s reign.

Who will provide the grand design of what is yours and what is mine?

โ€˜Cause there is no more new frontier, we have got to make it here.

We satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds

In the name of destiny and in the name of God

And you can see them there on Sunday morning

They stand up and sing about what itโ€™s like up there

They called it Paradise, I donโ€™t know why

When you call something Paradise, kiss it goodbye.

~Sharon~
Honored Social Butterfly

โค๏ธ  that song! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SKCodner I just <listened> and <yes> I agree!!! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Honored Social Butterfly

Today Iโ€™m going with my favs from another

fav group of mine Led Zeppelin. These songs take me back to the 70โ€™s, which were the

happiest years of my life ๐ŸŽผ๐Ÿ’œ

Stairway to heaven (Possibly the best rock

song ever recorded)

All my love 

Black Dog

Dancing Days

Dโ€™yer Makโ€™er

Going to California

Dazed and confused

Houses of the Holy

Immigrant song

In my time of dying

Kashmir

Misty mountain hop

Over the hills and far away

The rain song

Rock and roll

The song remains the same

Trampled under foot

When the levee breaks   

Honored Social Butterfly

Nice list! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

• ๐ŸŽถGot To Be Real - Cheryl Lynn. I met an awesome young lady in St. Louis, Missouri who took me under her wings. We lost contact as life changed for me and I relocated. This was her song. I met her mom and to this day I am <grateful> for these two women loving a <scared 18-year old>. As I age and now retired, I have been reflecting on my life's journey. Songs that bring back <happy memories> ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Honored Social Butterfly

โค๏ธ the band U2 and Bono, and a lot of their songs. It's really hard to pick a favorite, but there is a song that is special. This past year has been tough as I went through a bad illness. It wasn't covid, but the threat of covid made it more stressful. It's been a long road to recovery, but I'm getting better. I played this song a lot at night, just before drifting off to sleep. It was and still is a song of hope. Bono wrote it based on Psalm 13, thus the title.

13 There Is A Light  -  U2  ๐Ÿ•ฏ 

There is a light
We can't always see
If there is a world
We can't always be
If there is a dark
That we shouldn't doubt
And there is a light
Don't let it go out

Community Manager
Community Manager

Musical memories are some of the most enduring memories that we have, and it's been so lovely to read the memories that certain songs bring up for folks!

I've always loved music and my first favorite song that I can remember was "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum. I remember listening to it and dancing with my mom when I was around 5-6 years old. I just watched the video for the first time, though, and now I see the song in a whole different light. 5-6 year old me had no idea what this song was really about.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MaVolta I am so glad you are okay!!!! Lots of luv and hugs coming your way ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’š

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you! Backatcha! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous The songs from the late 60's and most of the 70's were the greatest. I feel so lucky to have gone through my teens listening to music that had meaning, great beats, and words that you could understand. Chicago, America, The Eagles, The Grass Roots, Bread, Barry Manilow, Delfonics, The Doors, The Doobie Brothers, and Barry White are just a few of the performers who created music that stands the test of time. It's still my music of choice every day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@postman29 Barry White's <voice> ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›

Honored Social Butterfly

Letโ€™s start with the 60โ€™sโ€ฆThe Beatles and The Beach Boys were my standards, along with millions of others who also liked them! To this day, I love all there songs, and all their hits. But, two of my favorites of theirs were not their greatest hits. 
For The Beatles, โ€œThings We Said Todayโ€.

For The Beach Boys, โ€œSail On Sailorโ€.

Besides just being overall good songs, each had a touch of melancholyโ€ฆwhich I think that many of their songs had, and they were very good at expressing emotions. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm @williamb39198 - seems to be alot of <Beatle Fans>! So far, you  @BeatleloverKT and @sweetjulieblueeyes52 . Lol, hope I am not forgetting anyone. Some days I forget my own name = Retirement Moments ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐ŸŽถReggae Time!!! Three Little Birds - Bob Marley and the Wailers! Another favorite of mine. I was born in Jamaica West Indies to an American Father who met my Mother while working there. Back then, the lyrics just sounded cool. But when I got sent to the USA at age 16 to live with my Mother's sister and her American husband after my Father died in a car accident - the lyrics reminded me <not to worry and everything will be alright>. ๐Ÿ˜

Conversationalist

I don't have a specific list of favorite songs, but songs that I really like...I don't like to hear too often. 

I like them because they remind me of specific times in my life, and I don't want that feeling or memory to fade after hearing that tune a lot. 

I was listening to a "curated" station on iHeart Radio yesterday, and "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty came up.  Today, I pulled up that same station and within ten minutes...? "Baker Street" played again. I immediately clicked the "thumbs-down" icon and got a pop-up window telling me it wouldn't play it any more.

Good.

I love that very melancholy song and I don't need to hear it ten times a day until it eventually means nothing to me.

And yet, there are other songs that I just like no matter how many times I hear them. I can listen to them over and over again without being concerned that any significance they might have for me might eventually be worn down to nothing.  I guess this is probably because they're songs I first heard as an adult, and I don't have any formative memories associated with them.

There was an episode of M*A*S*H where Radar played "Sentimental Journey" โ€” per Colonel Potter's request โ€” over the camp's PA system. And he kept playing it โ€” again and again.

I think after the third or fourth time, I'd have strangled Radar.

And I like "Sentimental Journey!"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @AvocadoDog I remember my days of watching Mash!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ They were a hot mess ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bronze Conversationalist

You're The Inspiration by Chicago. For my wife and soulmate, she is truly my inspiration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@postman29 wrote:

You're The Inspiration by Chicago. For my wife and soulmate, she is truly my inspiration.

๐Ÿ’ฅThat is so <touching> @postman29 ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Honored Social Butterfly

Come Monday, Jimmy Buffett

My husband always told me he wanted

Jimmy Buffett played at his funeral, he

just loved him so much. He passed away

in 2018 and I had this song played at the

end of the service. There wasnโ€™t a dry eye 

in the place for those who knew he loved

Buffett. This is my favorite Buffett song and

it helps me stay connected to John. Even

though I cannot hear it without sobbing still

to this day ๐ŸŽผ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so sorry for your loss @BeatleloverKT ๐Ÿ˜ญ I am divorced and wish my ex would die. Awful man. Seems so unfair, you losing the luv of your life ๐Ÿ˜ค Lots of hugs and luv coming your way!

Silver Conversationalist

ALL MY LIFE.  LINDA RONSTADT AND AARON NEVILLE. MY HUSBAND AND I DIDN'T MEET UNTIL WE WERE IN OUR FORTIES. WE'D BOTH HAD DIVORCES AND BAD RELATIONSHIPS. WE WE'RE SET UP ON A BLIND DATE ON NEW YEARS EVE, WHEN MIDNIGHT CAME IT WAS VERY AWKWARD. WE HAD FOUND EACH OTHER FAIRLY LATE IN LIFE SO THE SONG IS ABOUT US. 

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sweetjulieblueeyes52 wrote:

ALL MY LIFE.  LINDA RONSTADT AND AARON NEVILLE. MY HUSBAND AND I DIDN'T MEET UNTIL WE WERE IN OUR FORTIES. WE'D BOTH HAD DIVORCES AND BAD RELATIONSHIPS. WE WE'RE SET UP ON A BLIND DATE ON NEW YEARS EVE, WHEN MIDNIGHT CAME IT WAS VERY AWKWARD. WE HAD FOUND EACH OTHER FAIRLY LATE IN LIFE SO THE SONG IS ABOUT US. 

๐Ÿ’ฅThat is so <romantic> @sweetjulieblueeyes52 !!!! So glad you found each other ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ’ฅ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP