Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Are Your Favorite Instrumental Tunes?

Honored Social Butterfly

What Are Your Favorite Instrumental Tunes?

The subject of instrumentals came up in another thread, so I thought it might be fun to see what instrumental tunes everyone enjoys. Instrumentals cover a wide range of genres when you start to think about it; classical (of course), movie soundtracks, pop, jazz, big band oldies, blues, country, rock, and many instrumental versions of your favorite song titles, too.

So what instrumental music do you like? What are your favorite tunes or instrumental versions of your favorite songs? Multiple tunes and multiple genres are okay. And, if you have favorite on youtube, feel free to post the link so that we can listen, too!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Social Butterfly

Daniel Bélanger; Fugue En Sol Inconnu  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeLavxQLrus

This one's not really an instrumental. But it's 7:57 min long and only 3 min has lyrics in it.

Daniel Bélanger; Intouchable et Immortel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZk13QvDFQo

Conversationalist

1.) "Spain"-John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, and Paco di Lucia

2.) "Pictures at an Exhibition"-Emerson, Lake & Palmer

3.) "Hocus Pocus"-Focus

Social Butterfly

@jm2422wrote:

1.) "Spain"-John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, and Paco di Lucia

2.) "Pictures at an Exhibition"-Emerson, Lake & Palmer

3.) "Hocus Pocus"-Focus

Another great list, jm!

So, what do you think of Tina S?

Conversationalist

Think your list is fabulous!!! Three fantastic pieces. A musicians paradise.
With musicians not only magical in technique and ability, but soul and mojo
in their playing. The girl is an impressive technical player. Obviously classically
trained in a music institute, then spent five or six years learning John McLaughlin's
circular picking technique for right hand speed, and Eddie Van Halen's tapping technique.
As the late great Frank Zappa once said "too many nat notes."
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

MaVolta/Cirice:

Tina S is a stoned cold killer with a guitar!!! That lady is Steve Vai on steroids!!!

Recognized Social Butterfly

GASLIGHT

Periodic Contributor

Wow, Tina S!  The video uploaded didn't load that last time I visited, so I didn't even know it was provided.  I went to youtube and listened to comfortably numb and that was mind-blowing.  Spotify definitely needs to get onboard with her covers.  She is phenomenal!  Thanks for the heads up on her.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Ciricewrote:

So, what do you think of Tina S?

She's amazing! 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Periodic Contributor

Tina S?  I am intrigued.  I looked her up on Spotify and she doesn't exist.  What?  Then I looked up on Wikipedia and found out that she's definitely got to be added to Spotify.  I'm going to see if I can find anything of hers on YouTube right now because they describe her as someone unique in how she covers popular songs.  Thank you!

Honored Social Butterfly

Yakety Sax              Boots Randolph

Periodic Contributor

Helen Jane Long's   The Aviators  (extended version) and almost any of her other songs

Any of Kenny G

Craig Chaquico's  Acoustic Highway  Album  (all of em fav's)

Neal Schon  - Beyond the Thunder

Beegie Adair   all 

and there are many more.  Instrumental music is always my favorite anyway. 

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I forgot about Beegie Adair, one of my favorite lounge type pianists. Love it! Thanks for reminding me!
Honored Social Butterfly

Any Phil Coulter fans out there?

Phil Coulter not only plays a beautiful piano, but has created wonderful arrangements of Celtic classics. This one from Scotland with piano, orchestra, pipes and drums . . . makes me misty eyed it's so beautiful! 

We're No Awa' Tae Bide Awa'  (a perfect lead-in to)

Scotland the Brave  - Phil Coulter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqWEuDDraGY

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

1960 "Walk Don't Run" by The Ventures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7hgzna3E

Periodic Contributor

Definitely a favorite is 'In the Mirror' by Yanni.  But there are so many more.  Yes, Kenny G's, 'The Moment' as another mentioned and his, 'Forever in Love' as well as 'Silhouette' and 'Songbird'. Then there is 'Ballade pour Adeline' by Richard Clayderman.  Of course there is 'Music Box Dancer' by Frank Mills which I remember when it came out, I was 11 years old.  Who can forget Yiruma's 'Kiss the Rain'?  Just some very memorable instrumentals and mine are pianists just because I love the piano so much.  This one will forever be a classic, 'Last Date' by Floyd Cramer.  Outside of the piano is 'Love Story: Where Do I Begin?' by Francis Lai (one version has lyrics though).  Chuck Mangione's 'Feels So Good' is another good instrumental.  'Joy' by Apollo 100 was good.  Oh and then there's Rock and Roll, Part 2 by Gary Glitter which is played at a lot of football games these days.  Can't forget 'A Fifth of Beethoven' by Walter Murphy either.  And 'Green Onion' by Booker T & the M.G.s.  I remember this one too, 'Love is Blue' by Paul Mauriat.  I like 'Rise' by Herb Alpert too.  I vaguely remember 'Breezin' by George Benson.  There's also 'Spanish Flea' by Herb Alpert.  There's also 'Lara's Theme' by Maurice Jarre.  No one can forget 'Nadia's theme' by Barry DeVorzon because it's from the famous 'The Young & The Restless' soap opera. What I didn't know that is used to be called 'Cotton's Dream', but they changed it for Nadia Comaneci during the Olympics.  Oh I hope that was enough for now.  I'm sure there are so many more.

Regular Social Butterfly

So many. Two off the top of my head are Ravel's Bolero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsF53JpBMlk

and

Georgio's Tears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85EOb07c0MY

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

I like to have music playng all the time.  When I'm doing something that requires concentration (taxes) I put Pachelbel's Canon in D on a loop because it's so soft and soothing.  It just keeps on playing until I'm finished & shut it off.

Periodic Contributor

Pachelbells Canon in D is my favorite.  It is so calming for me

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This too is my favorite as it is so relaxing.

Contributor

Soul Sacrifice - Santana

Black Sand - Kalapana

The Horse - Cliff Nobles

Variations on a Theme - Blood, Sweat & Tears

Bronze Conversationalist

I think Pachelbel's Canon in D major is one of the most melodic, relaxing pieces I've ever played or heard being played.  

Regular Contributor

I have always been in love with the instrumental theme from the movie "Somewhere In Time" by John Barry and Roger Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhahbyEjFPw

One of my all time favorite jazz instrumentals is "Europa" by Gato Barbieri, composed by Carlos Santana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRI6CvtO6o

Regular Contributor

To me the sexiest saxaphone instrumental EVER!!!
Regular Contributor

Absolutely one of my faves as well Europa!
Regular Contributor

Two awesome favorites of mine are Europa - Gata Barbieri and Santana and Cause We Ended as Lovers - Jeff Beck!

Bronze Conversationalist

Vivaldi's Four Seasons, especially "Winter".  Some day  with enough practice I'll be able to play the transitions on that piece! 

Contributor

Love Theme from "Lady Sings the Blues" by Michel Legrand.
Bronze Conversationalist

Vivaldi's concerto for two guitars in G major.  I love the rhythm.

Trusted Contributor

My favorite instrumental music:

In the Mood

Theme from a Summer Place

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Tequila

Green Onions

The Lonely Bull

Dueling Banjos

Periodic Contributor

Sooooooo many:

Classical Gas

Beethoven's 7th

Birdland

Samba pa ti

Take Five

Blue Rondo la Turk

Jingo

Soul Sacrifice

Seranade to a Cuckoo

Just about anything with Ian Anderson; Bouree, In the Grip of Stronger Stuff, his take on God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP