Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Are Your Favorite Instrumental Tunes?

Honored Social Butterfly

What Are Your Favorite Instrumental Tunes?

The subject of instrumentals came up in another thread, so I thought it might be fun to see what instrumental tunes everyone enjoys. Instrumentals cover a wide range of genres when you start to think about it; classical (of course), movie soundtracks, pop, jazz, big band oldies, blues, country, rock, and many instrumental versions of your favorite song titles, too.

So what instrumental music do you like? What are your favorite tunes or instrumental versions of your favorite songs? Multiple tunes and multiple genres are okay. And, if you have favorite on youtube, feel free to post the link so that we can listen, too!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Periodic Contributor

Love theme form a Summer's Place and it brings back memories

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Crystallize by Lindsay Stirling

Honored Social Butterfly

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

"LITTLE WING" BY EITHER HENDRIX OR STEVIE RAY VAUGHN." EVOLUTION" BY JOHN COLTRANE;
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

This one played almost every morning on the radio when I was a kid. I still love it.

Stranger on the Shore - Acker Bilk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzx664u5DA

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

From the pop music genre - remember this one from 1968? It went to #1 on Billboard's Hot 100, and stayed there for 5 weeks!

Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjsNNcsUNzE

Honored Social Butterfly

Java               Al Hirt

Honored Social Butterfly

Songbird   Kenny G

Honored Social Butterfly

A Swingin' Safari          Billy Vaughn

Regular Social Butterfly

Twentytwo Fourteen by The Album Leaf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWy4Pf8SiNc

Bronze Conversationalist

It's a 3-way tie for me:

Harlem Nocturne - The Viscounts

Crossfire - Johnny & the Hurricanes

Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Periodic Contributor

Take 5 is AMAZING.. love that song. Have it on vinyl but don't play it enough.
Honored Social Butterfly

The Ventures  Walk don't Run

Honored Social Butterfly

Autumn Leaves               Roger Williams

Periodic Contributor

nice one- I love the vocal version done by Eva Cassidy
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Ah Sweet Dancer     Santana

Periodic Contributor

Love guitar in an instrumental song so top of the list is anything by Johnney A the Boston musician but if I must pick his cover of "The Wind Cries Mary" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikkwSYE_JSY

but the song by Explosions in the Sky "Your Hand in Mine" is a song I can listen to over and over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiY6kijYHE

Social Butterfly

Rodeo

-- Aaron  Copland

Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes: IV. Hoedown

London Symphony Orchestra, Conducted by Aaron Copland

This is about as American as symphony orchestra can sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXCfEuU2eu0

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Honored Social Butterfly

Last Date                Floyd Cramer

Honored Social Butterfly

Rise. Herb Alpert

Alpert is the only recording artist to hit No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 pop chart as both a vocalist ("This Guy's in Love with You", 1968), and an instrumentalist ("Rise", 1979).

Honored Social Butterfly

From the country bluegrass genre -

Under the Double Eagle - Willie Nelson version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNLcmVZYco

Interesting side note - The original composition is a military march by Austrian composer, Josef Franz Wagner, 1893. He was known as the Austrian March King.

Social Butterfly

@MaVoltawrote:

From the country bluegrass genre -

Under the Double Eagle - Willie Nelson version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNLcmVZYco

Interesting side note - The original composition is a military march by Austrian composer, Josef Franz Wagner, 1893. He was known as the Austrian March King.

Under The Double Eagle is a guitar picker’s classic.  It was the first Bluegrass tune I ever taught myself from reading tablature to play on the guitar. I spent two months of my spare time in the summer of 1976 trying to master hammer-on’s and pull-offs so I could play along with my neighbor who was from the Blue grass state and who introduced me to bluegrass music. A lot of fond memories for me that summer. I never quite mastered it  like my neighbor or Willie but had fun trying. Thank you MaVolta for your post.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ReTiReD51wrote:

Under The Double Eagle is a guitar picker’s classic.  It was the first Bluegrass tune I ever taught myself from reading tablature to play on the guitar. I spent two months of my spare time in the summer of 1976 trying to master hammer-on’s and pull-offs so I could play along with my neighbor who was from the Blue grass state and who introduced me to bluegrass music. A lot of fond memories for me that summer. I never quite mastered it  like my neighbor or Willie but had fun trying. Thank you MaVolta for your post.

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing. I doubt that anyone can pick it like Willie, and this is his original "slow" version. He also does a faster one!

Honored Social Butterfly

Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White          Perez Prado

Regular Social Butterfly

Untitled 03 -- by Sigur Rós 

Not necessarily my favorite Sigur Rós song, but it is an instrumental off a beautiful album called "( )". Most of the songs have singing, but unless you understand Icelandic (or sometimes Hopelandic, which is a language made up by the band), the singing just adds to the ambience of the music. 

Social Butterfly

@millineutron

Sigur Rós is cool! Hopelandic changes the vocals from lyrics to instrument. I like that kind of music.

Do you like Mogwai, too? I love them!

Social Butterfly

COULD YOU SHARE A CLIP OF EITHER BAND? HAVEN'T YET HEARD THEM.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Wow!  I could make a long list here headed by anything by Gershwin including: "Rhapsody in Blue", "American in Paris" and "Concerto in F".  This might be followed by "Manhatten Tower" by Gordon Jenkins.  Then I was reminded of another one yesterday "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" by Richard Rodgers.  After this I would start a long list of the big bands:  Glenn Miller, both Dorsey's, Benny Goodman, Count Basey, Duke Ellington, Artie Shaw, etc.

Social Butterfly

I'M WITH YOU ON THE BIG BANDS ESP."SING, SING, SING", OR "TAKE THE A-TRAIN"... ANY GERSHWIN IS GROOVY TOO!
Social Butterfly

"LITTLE WING" BY STEVIE RAY VAUGHN."TAKE 5 " DAVE BRUBECK""SONG FOR MY FATHER" HORACE SILVER."... COULD GO ON & ON W/ THE STRAIGHT-AHEAD JAZZ... " THE KOLN CONCERT" KEITH JARRETT.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP