Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

The Songs About Getting Older

""Hope I die before I get old," sang 21-year-old Roger Daltrey in 1965—and 43 years later, he's still singing it. Rock 'n' roll has always been invested in a Byronic cult of blazing youth and beautiful corpses. But as tyros have turned into reunion-tour warhorses, rockers have had to come to terms with the ironies—and the indignities and the glories—of old age."

What are the songs that talk about getting older, looking back, etc?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

Old and Crazy.  Bruno Mars

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Precious Lord Take My Hand

Regular Contributor

I have to laugh every time I listen to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPrWQYCOhY
0 Kudos
Contributor

Rocking Chair by George Jones. It's a great commentary on getting older.

Periodic Contributor

Great one....
Periodic Contributor

I like it !!!!! Excellent choice.

Periodic Contributor

When I Grow up (to be a man)  by the Beach Boys

Chuck W.

In My Life by The Beatles

Trusted Contributor

I do not worry about aging, because every thing will change. Winter turn to spring, young become the old, nothing remain the same. i thank my Lord that I am able to care for my self, go where I want to go, I have a great mind, I am able to assist other at the Senior Center where I live in Lombard, IL  I am able drive my car to visit my friends and family, I am trully blessed at 72 years young:

Periodic Contributor

"Old Friends" by Simon & Garfunkel.

Periodic Contributor

"In My Life" by the Beatles.

Amazingly prescient for Lennon & McCartney to be able to write this in their mid- twenties.

Regular Social Butterfly

This is a hard one. There are a lot of good ones. But, most "getting older" songs are depressing like the Bee Gees' How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (I can think of younger days...etc... and live again), or "I Can't Go Back" (Bruce Springsteen), or accepting the inevitable "Autumn Of My Life" (Bobby Goldsboro). Even just "Reminicing" (Little River Band) leaves a meloncholly after-taste of "gone forever" behind. When You And I Were Young Maggie (traditional), or All Those Years Ago (George Harrison) were more up-beat, but still "in the past". Remember Christmas (Nilsson ) and Remember When.(Alan Jackson) leaves a yearning for the past (in spite of the bad times) that can't be fulfilled. And even For the Good Times (Elvis) leaves a sense of regret for not being able to "go back". The only song I can think of, that tries to bring the best of the past into the present, is One Time For Old Times.(38 Special). Even tho I pick this song by default, it's still a pretty darned good song.

Honored Social Butterfly

The Verve  The Drugs Don't Work

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Contributor

He's An Old Hippie by the Bellamy Brothers!

Periodic Contributor

I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore by The Snake Oil Willy Band.For most of us this song is very befitting. Makes me laugh.

The Beatles "When I'm Sixty-Four"  has always been one of my favorites.  It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the question, especiality since I will turn 64 at the end of the month!

Enjoy Yourself, Its later than you think by Guy Lumbardo!

Conversationalist

When I Grow Too Old to Dream - simple, beautiful and old fashioned!

Contributor

The Memory Song by Tom Rush.  It always makes me laugh, even though I’m a bit sorry I can relate to it so well.

Contributor

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac sung beautifully by Stevie Nicks.

Contributor

Wow, a lot of "Blasts from the Past" Thank you to you all for the great memories. Here's one to add: Eddie Money, "I want to go back" I always liked that song. Brings back very fond memories 🙂

Regular Contributor

The Chairman of the Board - It Was A Very Good Year!

Five for Fighting - 100 Years

Contributor

'My next 30 years' by Tim McGraw.

'I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord, have mercy on my next thirty years....

Oh, my next thirty years, I'm gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I'll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life...
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here in my next thirty years...'

Info Seeker

"Hello in There" by John Prine. Stunning lyrics by one of America's greatest singer-songwriters.

My favorite song about getting older is "Shades of Gray" by Billy Joel. Not only is Billy Joel my favorite singer/songwriter, he hits the nail on the head with this song. At least it's true in my life, anyway. He talks about how, as we age, distinctions between what we once looked at as black and white may now become more indistinct as we struggle with misconceptions that may have clouded our more youthful thinking. If nothing else, this song always makes me stop and think about how I view things. There are so many more ways of looking at things than just one! 

Bookends - Simon and Garfunkel - loved the song then...love the song now....

Honored Social Butterfly

Oasis  Rocking Chair

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Periodic Contributor

I always loved "Cat's in the Cradle", Harry Chapin. A lot of truth there

Contributor

My favorite also.

So true.

Bronze Conversationalist

The Dutchman - Steve Goodman

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP