Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Swing Music Anyone?

Do you prefer Swing and Big Band music to Rock and Roll? This is the place to share your favorites. What are you listening to? What memories do these songs bring back?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Gotta go with @nahchoo on this one...One song at a time...If The Music moves me, I'm not inclined to concern myself with the genre unless it will help me find the song again.

....That said, The Glenn Miller Orchestra's version of Tuxedo Junction has to be just about the best song in the world to get 'those special moments' started.

Social Butterfly

I agree @EricC28201. It all depends on the piece of music. Sometimes I can't tell what genre a particular song fits into. Don't know if this is swing or not, but I always fond of "Minnie The Moocher".

Silver Conversationalist

Swing music is a wonderful change of pace, for every now and then. But as for dancing, Swing Music beats Rock and Roll every time, for me! Truth be told though, I enjoy lots of different music genres. From Opera to Outrageous, I kinda like 'em all!!

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Contributor

We go out dancing in NYC where there are bands who still swing every night of the week.
George Gee plays Swing 46 every Tuesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5IjxQPrxMM

Honored Social Butterfly

@aprilnyc  That must be a blast! 🙂

Thanks for the George Gee. I was unfamiliar. Great stuff!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@Epster  I listened to those electro swing albums you got me all during my road trip ... now Tommy Dorsey sounds fresh. lol

Honored Social Butterfly

@HammH wrote:

@Epster  I listened to those electro swing albums you got me all during my road trip ... now Tommy Dorsey sounds fresh. lol

@HammH  She told me. 🙂  Glad the trip went well; can't wait to hear the stories. 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

52 minutes of the best big bands of the swing era

Honored Social Butterfly

An hour 12 of nostalgic Christmas music (from the 20s, 30s and 40s)

Honored Social Butterfly

Over 3 hours of 40s big band, swing and jazz music

Social Butterfly

yes, Swing; I cut my teeth on straight-ahead jazz(Coltrane, etc.)& then got into swing. When I 'discovered'  Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller & songs like "Sing, Sing, Sing"I discovered that my 60-something mother  loved it dearly.  Benny Goodman Orchestra played Dallas Starplex outdoor concert in the late 70's/early 80's & we went- a priceless memory. both mom & Goodman.  She used to sing "Fly me to theMoon" for me- my favorite. Swing? yes!!!  I  still have casette of al lthings of big band favorites. Now let's talk Coltrane, et al.

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

@l483260l  HI!

Mine is a musical family. Mom was a radio DJ; Dad was a radio DJ's friend. 🙂 Pretty much all of us kids grew up singing and playing publically (on stage and in the church choir). One sib is an accomplished violinist; all of the others play at least one musical instrument.

We were exposed to all stripes of music, and to this day there are really only a couple genres I don't much care for. Though I am a rocker at heart, I used to organize a regional fiddle contest. 🙂

DH isn't a big band era swing fan, but he likes electro swing. 🙂 His musical taste continues to fascinate me. He's very precise about what music he likes. Me, I'm not a genre snob. I mean, I see bleed-over and similarities more than genre rules and custom.  I guess I'm a musical jailbreaker. 🙂

Social Butterfly

BENNY GOODMAN - SING SING SING (clip) - YouTube

JUST FOUND THIS ONE- CLASSIC!!!

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

An hour of swing music.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

An hour 18 of swing and jazz music. (PARTY! :))

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  Deep Night

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey   Darn That Dream

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  I Concentrate on You

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey   The Lamp Is Low

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey Diane

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  Now It Can Be Told

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  No Regrets

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  You Leave Me Breathless

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  Who

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy Dorsey  Marie

Honored Social Butterfly

Caravan Palace   Rock It For Me

Honored Social Butterfly

Caravan Palace  Dramophone

Honored Social Butterfly

Caravan Palace   Brotherswing

Honored Social Butterfly

Caravan Palace   Jolie Coquine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP