Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

Honored Social Butterfly

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

For many an original song that they love cannot and will not ever be duplicated by a cover, but there are many songs that have been done equally (debatebly) well by others..

So do you have favorites?

What are your favorite covers of favorite songs?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

For Pete's Sake--originally the Monkees; covered by the Holy Sisters of the Gaga Dada

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for sharing great cover. Check in on Harry Styles Covers Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer.” What a performance.! Great day. Enjoy.!!! PJ

Honored Social Butterfly

Swinky's versions of Leonard Cohen's "Anthem" and John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads"

Artists of Then, Now and Forever's mix of "Country Roads," Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" and Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again"

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Cover of Fleetwood Mac - The Chain by Harry Styles

https://youtu.be/eM_FR7I2Ttw

And here he is performing with Fleetwood Mac. Notice the crowd reaction when they hear the opening riff and realize it really is Mac. The video was shot by a fan, so not the best quality, but it's the only one I could find.

https://youtu.be/8npcvVv3UF4?list=TLPQMDYwNTIwMjDgK6Ep1ojJMw

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

You mean Stevie, Chris, and Lindsay carried him on that tune. Harry has a tendency to ding flat.
More looks than talent.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Granted, Harry isn’t a rock singer. He actually reminds me more of Harry Connick Jr. However, I’m encouraged to see youngsters going for the rock classics that are at least two generations before their time. Also noticed a few videos of Harry appearing with Stevie, so he must have some rapport with the band. What can be better than a kid getting to perform with rock royalty. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

MaVolta I usually agree with you here, But the look on Stevie's face was like Really?? What's Little Junior doing up here. Frankly what I think is two things: 1.) He's up there trying to get some kind of street cred' with real rock legends...relivance. 2.) This was probably one the kind of pranks Lindsay pulled at the end to no longer want him on tour with band....sad. 3.) As a crooner Harry S couldn't carry Harry C's athletic supporter. Who has modeled himself after the late great Francis Albert. Just another pretty face, Joey Fatone Jr.. Further proof Harry S tried this song (see youtube) with his own band.....anemic. Sorry. MaVolta I always love your stuff, but styles.....no.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jm2422  -  I actually agree with you for the most part. I posted the cover because it was surprising to find someone in generation Y or Z that was singing a 70's rock song, and then to see the videos with Mac. I had to look him up to see who he was. If you read my other post, you can see that his genre isn't really my thing either. The reference to Harry C wasn't about vocals, it was about his appearance. He was dressed like a crooner, rather than a rock star. His usual dress seems to favor punk rock. 

Maybe I'll do better next time. 😉

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

No MaVolta: I apologize you're fine. I'm just a cranky old singer guitar player/song writer having a bad day.
Harry's just got a lot to learn is all. At least he's trying. He always dressed like he's ready to go to a supper club....LOL. But so does Grant Geissman and he's a wizard with a guitar.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jm2422  - Sorry you’re having a bad day. Guess we’re all getting a little cranky these days. Have a nice evening. 

Conversationalist

You're right Volta. I think I'm going to do what Zappa says, "shut up, and play my guitar."
Thanks for understanding.
Honored Social Butterfly

@jm2422  -  This one's for you, and you probably know of it. It's one of those covers that you either love it or hate it, and that's okay. If we all liked the same thing, it would be a very boring world. This one's a Yardbirds cover by Ritchie. He flipped it 180 degrees. It was on 1977 Rainbow live album, which may have been his best R band. But I really like the guitar work on the 1995 version, and Doogie White's vocals push it more into metal space. I didn't remember the original, and after I heard it, I sorta figured out why. They sounded really sad! Here ya go . . . but don't be sad . . .

Still I'm Sad  -  Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (95)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULz8lwil_lI

Conversationalist

Kudos Volta, love Ritchie and Rainbow anyway. Wasn't aware this was YBirds tune, shame on me. . Sure do love this version though. Thanks for turning me on to to it. As always Volta you show great taste.
Honored Social Butterfly

Sixty Years On:  Brandi Carlile

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Pretty Flamingo:  Bruce

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

About Harry Styles: He inducted Stevie

Nicks into the Rock HOF last year so

there’s his connection. I would expect

The Mac to carry him on any of their 

songs, they are, after all, their songs

and they know them best. He’s not

as good as them and I’m sure he

knows that. However, his good looks

will get him a long way even if his

talent doesn’t lol

Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT  - Yes, his estimated net worth is a cool 72 million. Somebody likes him! It's just nice to see the young singers paying tribute to the ones who came before. 

I listened to several of his songs. Style wise, he's kinda pop-punk-rock. I like some of his mellow songs, including Sign of the Times, but it's not what I'd listen to everyday. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Compared to the original guys I hate to say this but those children need lessons in rock vocals, the drumming and guitar work is at best anemic.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta The crowds reaction was priceless! And Harry looks like a kid in a candy store, totally having fun! I can tell you, from seeing the Mac in concert three times, twice they opened with The Chain and when the first riffs start with Mick then Lindsey on guitar continues, it almost made my heart stop! Lindsey is out of this world, I don’t know how the song can ever sound the same w/o him 😢

Silver Conversationalist

Canned Heat's much better known version of Wilbert Harrison's Let's Work Together

Silver Conversationalist

Joe Cocker spent much of his career covering songs that were already great and often-heard songs.  But when he sang them in his style, it sounded like y ou were hearing them for the very first time.  What an artist.   One of my faves Darling Be He Soon originally by the Loving Spoonful

Silver Conversationalist

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty. Covered by the Foo Fighters. Rafferty commented once in an NPR interview that he liked theirs better than his.

Silver Conversationalist

Joan Jett cover of Dirty Deeds by AC/DC

Silver Conversationalist

One of my biggest musical surprises ever, for many reasons:.    Some years back I heard an amazing, rocked out version of one of my favorite, softer sounding Fleetwood Mac songs.  Would never have thought...  Gold Dust Woman by Courtney Love and Hole.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Saw Il Divo on a PBS special recently (though it was filmed in 2018). I was blown away by their cover of the Adele song Hello, or Hola, as performed in Spanish!  Bought it on iTunes next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zopxV9pgkzA

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Have always liked the Foo Fighters' cover of Baker Street.  Ir remember an old interview with Gerry Rafferty where he said something about liking the cover better than his original  They left the vocals alone and just changed the music.   Second choice, Shooter Jennings' cover of Walk of Life.  Countried it up and the video is pretty funny.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This is a double cover - Whiskey in the Jar (traditional Irish folk song)

This Irish folk song became well known in the 60's as recorded and performed by The Dubliners. It's been covered by just about every band in Ireland since.

Thin Lizzy transformed the song in 1973 into a classic rock hit that forever belongs to them. They played it at every concert. Fastforward to 1998, Metallica covers Thin Lizzy with their metal version, which remains on their set list to this day. They won a Grammy for Best Hard Rock performance in 2000.

I really like both versions. It's great fit for Metallica and James Hetfield's voice, but the song is all Thin Lizzy's, and forever classic rock. Here are clips of both versions. Thin Lizzy from 1973 and Metallica from Ireland just days ago.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This is another cover that I just happened on to. I'm not familiar with either artist, but they make a fine pairing, and harmonies are spot on. This is an Elton John cover, and like many of his songs, lends itself well to harmonizing vocals.

Can You Feel the Love Tonight - performed by Boyce Avenue ft Connie Talbot

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Good, professional replication. The girl has a Karen Carpenter style vocal, the guy sounds like a Jonas brother. I glad the young musicians are picking up this material. Certainly no one of their generation are writing this kind of material. I commend them for that. It doesn't have Reggie's vocal dynamics, but a very pleasant, professional replication.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP