Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

Honored Social Butterfly

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

For many an original song that they love cannot and will not ever be duplicated by a cover, but there are many songs that have been done equally (debatebly) well by others..

So do you have favorites?

What are your favorite covers of favorite songs?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

I’m not a lover of cover songs as a rule and generally hate any Beatles cover but this one I really liked. He went on to win the last season of American Idol. His name is Laine Hardy singing Come Together by the Fab 4️⃣ (it’s on YouTube)

Conversationalist

It was OK. He did a verse and a chorus, a guitar lick, then stopped. Decent professional studio back up rendition. They made a big deal out it though, and that's what matters on those shows. Judges reaction.
It didn't make me forget John Lennon's lead vocal. Sorry guys, with all due respect, I don't agree.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This was my first season watching American Idol. I am aware of the hype on these kinds of shows. I thought for a young kid he did a pretty good job, not perfect, but respectable. No one can ever do it like John Lennon. That is a given.

Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

This was my first season watching American Idol. I am aware of the hype on these kinds of shows. I thought for a young kid he did a pretty good job, not perfect, but respectable. No one can ever do it like John Lennon. That is a given.

Agreed!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

I’m not a lover of cover songs as a rule and generally hate any Beatles cover but this one I really liked. He went on to win the last season of American Idol. His name is Laine Hardy singing Come Together by the Fab 4️⃣ (it’s on YouTube)

I looked it up on YT, and he was really good. Beatle songs are covered a lot. Some are well done, and others, not so much.  To The Beatles credit, their songs are singable, memorable, and known by everyone on the planet! Smiley Very Happy

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I'M WITH YOU- A PURIST ABOUT BEATLES COVERS, BUT YOU REMINDED ME OF THESE 2 DECENT ONES:"IMAGINE" -JIMMIE DALE GILMORE &"TAXMAN"- STEVIE RAY VAUGHN
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

No problem with either. Especially the SRV version of Taxman. That boy was a stone cold assasin with a Strat in his hands. That tune kills it.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

TRUE STORY: BACK IN 1980-81, I USED TO GO TO A CLUB IN OAK LAWN( DALLAS) CALLED "AL'S BAMBOO"- WENT IN LATE ONE NIGHT& THERE'S A DUDE IN A BLACK FEDORA, ALL ALONE, WAILING ON THE GUITAR& WAH-WAH PEDAL,& I THOUGHT: DOES THIS GUY THINK HE'S HENDRIX?" / A TREASURED MEMORY.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Treasured memory for sure. The man was a blues wizard and legend.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

GUESS YOU'D CONSIDER THIS A COVER( NOT BEATLES): DON'T KNOW WHO WROTE IT, BUT AN OLD BLUES CLASSIC. SRV OWNS IT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oydj5H9C-no&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2vIzGBHcy-sx4jOtf7EK0WikZ9JzwQM... RELAX & ENJOY! I'M GUESSING THIS IS THE ORIGINAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I'm with you on this one. SRV is one of the true all time greats. Tin Pan Alley, great rendition, of pure blues.
Real simple guitar plugged into the amp, no effects pedals, pure talent blues. Man that boy could play!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

YES HE COULD. I MUST ADD THAT I WAS PRIVILEGED TO SEE JOHN LEE HOOKER PERFORM IN A TINY CLUB IN DALLAS IN THE 80'S. HE'S MY FAVORITE CLASSIC BLUESMAN.
HAVE ALSO SEEN HONEYBOY EDWARDS, GATEMOUTH BROWN, BOBBY BLUE BLAND, & BB KING SEVERAL TIMES; I'M DEFINITELY A BLUES FAN! I GOT MY INTRODUCTION TO THE BLUES WITH THIS LOCAL DALLAS BAND:
https://www.jango.com/music/Anson+Funderburgh+The+Rockets . NOT ONLY CAN ANSON REALLY PLAY, HE HAS A GREAT NAME FOR A BLUES GUITARIST! ENJOY
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I've played guitar for fifty years. Was part of the LA music world fro 1979-1997. I play a 1971 Gibson 335, what looks like Lucille in case you don't play. Been in more blues jams than I'd like to admit to, cause it means I'm old. Kind of known for my blues vocals in some circles too Also have seen some of the same people you have,
but also Buddy Guy, Jr. Wells, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, and The Paul Butterfield Blues Band. One of the best blues acts I ever saw was in Buffalo, NY local act named The Shakin' Smith Blues Band, the guys blues harp was somewhere between Little Walter, and Paul Butterfield...stone cold assasin. PS Anson Funderbergh and the Rockets.....DYNAMITE!!!
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

WELL DUDE; I'D SAY YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS BLUES CHOPS! BUT HERE'S A BONUS/TEST: DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE "CROSSROADS" ARE(IS) AND/OR DYLAN'S "HIGHWAY 61"? YOU KNOW, IF YOU DON'T I'LL SHARE.
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

As the late great, Robert Johnson once said "I went down to the Crossroads, and fell down on my knees, Asked the Lord for mercy, he said if you please. Highway 61 has got to do with an old testament bible passage"God said to Abraham give me your son, take him on down to Highway 61. Crossroads and Ramblin' on My Mind, both Robert Johnson compositions, were part of my show repetoire for many years, still play them to this day. Dylan was too, just not that particular song. PS: Love him too. I'm not sure if that's the reference you're looking for but I think I'm in the neighborhood. Let me know.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

J M, YES, YOU'RE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, BUT TO COME ON HOME, YOU NEED TO KNOW : HIGHWAY 61( DYLAN) IS IN NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI, NEAR JACKSON- WHERE IT CROSSES HIGHWAY_- IS SAID TO BE WHERE ROBERT JOHNSON SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL. SURE DYLAN REFERENCES THE BIBLE, BUT IT ALL BEGAN W/ THE CROSSROADS. NEXT TIME, WE'LL DISCUSS BO DIDDLEY GOT HIS NAME& THE BIRTH IN EAST TEXAS OF THE BOOGIE-WOOGIE ! LONG LIVE THE BLUES!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hotel California - Eagles cover

Stumbled across this version by heavy rock / metal singer Jorn (Norway). The darkness of the song lends itself well to the heavy rock / metal influences, but it's not something easy to imagine after having listened to the melodic, harmonic ballad as performed by the Eagles for so many years. Jorn adds a chord change to the last verse, while a well done, but very different, metal guitar replaces the intricate and harmonic guitars of the Eagles. It makes for an interesting reinterpretation of a classic rock ballad into a completely different genre. He seems to be famous for reworking classic rock into heavy rock / metal songs. 

This is one of my favorite songs by the Eagles, but never imagined it play like this . . .

5 Things You Might Not Know About The Eagles' Hotel California  - Source:

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/things-eagles-hotel-california/story?id=36375155

Conversationalist

MaVolta, I most always love your choices on the covers, but this one is a bit of a stretch for me. I saw the Eagles final show on The Hell Freezes Over Tour final show at the Rose Bowl. With all due respect, No comparison.
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, it is quite a stretch!  I would never have imagined an Eagles’ song turned into metal music. This cover is more about the reinterpretation of an iconic song by an artist who takes it to a different genre that I think is fascinating.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

GOOD ONE- REMINDED ME OF THIS; EAGLES HAD A HIT WITH "OL '55"- HERE IS TOM WAITS ORIGINAL LIVE VERSION ( HE WROTE IT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6CDa-z1MUY
Honored Social Butterfly

I Was Made To Love Her: Stevie Wonder

I had forgotten until I heard it today that the Beach Boys (that’s right, the Beach Boys) recorded a credible cover of Stevie’s song. “Great” might be a stretch but it’s pretty good.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Street of Dreams - Rainbow, cover by Blackmore's Night featuring Joe Lynn Turner

Turner was the original vocalist with Rainbow. Nice duet here with Candice Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSD2Z7EWy8

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

From the album -

Metallic Attack: The Ultimate Tribute

Nothing Else Matters - Joe Lynn Turner (vocals), Bruce Kulick (lead guitar), Bob Kulick (rhythm guitar), Tony Franklin (bass), Gregg Bissonette (drums).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1P8l3B4UAE

One of my favorite Metallica songs, and arguably, one of the best ever rock ballads. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Silence Is Golden:  Originally recorded by the Four Seasons, years later it was covered by the Tremeloes, who had a huge hit with it. Both versions are great.

Social Butterfly

"SOUND OF SILENCE"- SOCIAL DISTORTION. I LOVE S&G'S ORIGINIAL, BUT THIS COVER IS HAUNTING(& FUNNY!)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
DITTO GLORIA GAYNOR'S "I WILL SURVIVE" COVERED BY CAKE https://youtu.be/7KJjVMqNIgA
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Very nice version, but because of Candace Night's vocal, which dilutes the tune, it loses the edge, the original Rainbow version had, with Richie Blackmore's guitar work and arrangement. Even though Joe Lynn Turner sang lead on both versions. His vocal had more strength and edge on the original, the vocal harmonies on the original were simple 3 part: root, 3rd, 5th parts that sounded better. This cover sounds like he used studio musicians, especially the cover guitar work, and gave his girlfriend a shot at the big time. Like I said pleasant and professional, but no where near as good as Blackmore's original. I spent many years of my life doing studio vocal ad guitar work., it's a dynamite tune.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jm2422 wrote:
Very nice version, but because of Candace Night's vocal, which dilutes the tune, it loses the edge, the original Rainbow version had, with Richie Blackmore's guitar work and arrangement. Even though Joe Lynn Turner sang lead on both versions. His vocal had more strength and edge on the original, the vocal harmonies on the original were simple 3 part: root, 3rd, 5th parts that sounded better. This cover sounds like he used studio musicians, especially the cover guitar work, and gave his girlfriend a shot at the big time. Like I said pleasant and professional, but no where near as good as Blackmore's original. I spent many years of my life doing studio vocal ad guitar work., it's a dynamite tune.

Yes, the Rainbow version is classic and one of my favorites. But Candice isn't a rock singer, so I don't expect it to sound like Rainbow. Credits on the album are to the BN group (at that time) and that is Ritchie on guitar. Candice also has a solo version, and they added the JLT version as a bonus track.

BN has done a few other Purple and Rainbow classics both on albums and in their live shows including Soldier of Fortune, Child in Time, Rainbow Eyes, Temple of the King. Blackmore, true to form, restyled all of them to fit Candice and BN. Maybe they do them for old fans like me, or maybe it's for new fans who never heard Purple or Rainbow. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Sorry you din't like my critique...oh well.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jm2422 wrote:
Sorry you din't like my critique...oh well.

It's not about your critique. You're a musician and I'm just a fan. My expectations are different. But maybe you were a little tough on the band and "cover guitar"? 😉  Oh well, from what I read, Ritchie's had more than his share of criticism . . . and he never seems to care. He plays what he likes, the way he likes it. Maybe that's why I'm a Blackmore junkie. 🙂

Conversationalist

That's not my intent. The girl's voice doesn't work for that song. If she was doing Pentangle, or Celtic folk tunes she'd be perfect. Joe Lynn Turner sounded like he was backing off to not blow her out on the record.
The guitar work on the cover was very professional. But you as a fan know it doesn't have Blackmore's personality. I love Blackmore too. We are in agreement there. Rebels like him will always have critics. But I'm not one of them.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP