From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

Message 21 of 257

Yes, it is quite a stretch!  I would never have imagined an Eagles’ song turned into metal music. This cover is more about the reinterpretation of an iconic song by an artist who takes it to a different genre that I think is fascinating.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 257
MaVolta, I most always love your choices on the covers, but this one is a bit of a stretch for me. I saw the Eagles final show on The Hell Freezes Over Tour final show at the Rose Bowl. With all due respect, No comparison.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 257
GOOD ONE- REMINDED ME OF THIS; EAGLES HAD A HIT WITH "OL '55"- HERE IS TOM WAITS ORIGINAL LIVE VERSION ( HE WROTE IT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6CDa-z1MUY
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 257

Hotel California - Eagles cover

Stumbled across this version by heavy rock / metal singer Jorn (Norway). The darkness of the song lends itself well to the heavy rock / metal influences, but it's not something easy to imagine after having listened to the melodic, harmonic ballad as performed by the Eagles for so many years. Jorn adds a chord change to the last verse, while a well done, but very different, metal guitar replaces the intricate and harmonic guitars of the Eagles. It makes for an interesting reinterpretation of a classic rock ballad into a completely different genre. He seems to be famous for reworking classic rock into heavy rock / metal songs. 

This is one of my favorite songs by the Eagles, but never imagined it play like this . . .

5 Things You Might Not Know About The Eagles' Hotel California  - Source:

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/things-eagles-hotel-california/story?id=36375155

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 257
That's not my intent. The girl's voice doesn't work for that song. If she was doing Pentangle, or Celtic folk tunes she'd be perfect. Joe Lynn Turner sounded like he was backing off to not blow her out on the record.
The guitar work on the cover was very professional. But you as a fan know it doesn't have Blackmore's personality. I love Blackmore too. We are in agreement there. Rebels like him will always have critics. But I'm not one of them.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 257

@jm2422 wrote:
Sorry you din't like my critique...oh well.

It's not about your critique. You're a musician and I'm just a fan. My expectations are different. But maybe you were a little tough on the band and "cover guitar"? Smiley Wink  Oh well, from what I read, Ritchie's had more than his share of criticism . . . and he never seems to care. He plays what he likes, the way he likes it. Maybe that's why I'm a Blackmore junkie. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 257
Sorry you din't like my critique...oh well.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 257

@jm2422 wrote:
Very nice version, but because of Candace Night's vocal, which dilutes the tune, it loses the edge, the original Rainbow version had, with Richie Blackmore's guitar work and arrangement. Even though Joe Lynn Turner sang lead on both versions. His vocal had more strength and edge on the original, the vocal harmonies on the original were simple 3 part: root, 3rd, 5th parts that sounded better. This cover sounds like he used studio musicians, especially the cover guitar work, and gave his girlfriend a shot at the big time. Like I said pleasant and professional, but no where near as good as Blackmore's original. I spent many years of my life doing studio vocal ad guitar work., it's a dynamite tune.

Yes, the Rainbow version is classic and one of my favorites. But Candice isn't a rock singer, so I don't expect it to sound like Rainbow. Credits on the album are to the BN group (at that time) and that is Ritchie on guitar. Candice also has a solo version, and they added the JLT version as a bonus track.

BN has done a few other Purple and Rainbow classics both on albums and in their live shows including Soldier of Fortune, Child in Time, Rainbow Eyes, Temple of the King. Blackmore, true to form, restyled all of them to fit Candice and BN. Maybe they do them for old fans like me, or maybe it's for new fans who never heard Purple or Rainbow. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 257
Very nice version, but because of Candace Night's vocal, which dilutes the tune, it loses the edge, the original Rainbow version had, with Richie Blackmore's guitar work and arrangement. Even though Joe Lynn Turner sang lead on both versions. His vocal had more strength and edge on the original, the vocal harmonies on the original were simple 3 part: root, 3rd, 5th parts that sounded better. This cover sounds like he used studio musicians, especially the cover guitar work, and gave his girlfriend a shot at the big time. Like I said pleasant and professional, but no where near as good as Blackmore's original. I spent many years of my life doing studio vocal ad guitar work., it's a dynamite tune.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 257
"SOUND OF SILENCE"- SOCIAL DISTORTION. I LOVE S&G'S ORIGINIAL, BUT THIS COVER IS HAUNTING(& FUNNY!)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
DITTO GLORIA GAYNOR'S "I WILL SURVIVE" COVERED BY CAKE https://youtu.be/7KJjVMqNIgA
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera