Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

Message 1 of 224

Silence Is Golden:  Originally recorded by the Four Seasons, years later it was covered by the Tremeloes, who had a huge hit with it. Both versions are great.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 224

Jimmy Page was the last in long line of Yardbird lead guitarists. Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck before him. Then became Zeppelin lead man too. But Jimmy did rip off and take credit for stuff he did not write in those days too. This song, and Born Under a Bad Sign by Albert King to name a few. He still is a helluva rock guitar player. Also it'll never be disputed that Zeppelin wasn't an iconic band of the era. I saw them in 1972, Take my word for it, they were. I've played guitar for 50 years. Take my word for it, the boy can play.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 224
JIMMIE DALE GILMORE DOES A GREAT VERSION OF HANK'S "SO LONESOME I COULD CRY" LUCINDA CONTRIBUTES 2 GREAT COVERS TO THE COMPILATION"GOD DON'T NEVER CHANGE".
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 224

Thanks for pointing me to Lucinda Williams' version of Cold Cold Heart.  There was a lot of Hank Williams going on in our house when I was growing up and I love them all.  Another little known cover of a Hank Williams song is Please Help Me by Puff Johnson (link below).  I found her first CD quite by accident at a listening station at my local music store years ago.  I was very impressed and purchased the CD, and kept waiting for a follow-up to come out, but it never did, although she did release another single Over and Over that was on the soundtrack of the movie First Wives Club.  I later discovered that Johnson was diagnosed with cervical cancer around 2007 and died of the disease on June 24, 2013 at age 40.  Her version of Please Help Me is not country, but is absolutely beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8PpfQEcMS4. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 224

“Timeless”.  This a tribute to Hank Williams CD released about 20 years ago. I realize that the replies to this forum are, by definition, subjective but I think that every artist who sang one  of his songs, from Dylan to Keith Richards to Keb’ Mo’ to Sheryl Crow did a great job of interpreting the songs while keeping the homage format. In particular Lucinda Williams crushes it when she sings “Cold, Cold Heart”. Amazing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 224

Cover . . . 1967 (reimagined)

Dazed and Confused - The Yardbirds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffBRhtWjEQ

Cover . . . 1969 (reinvented)

Dazed and Confused - Led Zepplin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EieHafkHbU

But did you ever hear the original? Can't say I ever did.

Dazed and Confused - Jake Holmes (1967)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

Holmes later filed suit against Page for copyright infringement as Page took credit on the Zepplin release without mention of Holmes. It was eventually settled out of court and credit was changed to "inspired by" Jake Holmes. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 224

“I’ve Got Dreams to Remember”  (Otis Redding).

Covering any Otis Redding song is risky business, but I think Toots Hibbert (of Toots & The Maytals) did a great job. The album is “Toots In Memphis”. Kind of like Reggae meets Memphis soul.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 224
Thank-you very much; that’s very kind. I think it was from his Running on Empty CD. My wife and I have seen him live twice. Good stuff.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 224
Great choice. It's a live cut, starts with Song for the Roadies, then transitions to Stay.
It's a fabulous live cut, that had a new life with Jackson Browne. That band that backed
him on the road those years was amazing too . Lee Sklaar/bass, Russ Kunkel/drums,
and the great David Lindley on guitar. Jackson at the height of his powers. I absolutely
commend your choice as great!!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 224

Original: Stay (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs)

Cover: Stay (Jackson Browne)

Kudos
Views