Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

Honored Social Butterfly

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

For many an original song that they love cannot and will not ever be duplicated by a cover, but there are many songs that have been done equally (debatebly) well by others..

So do you have favorites?

What are your favorite covers of favorite songs?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

No doubt about it Houston's rendition is breath taking. Dolly's rendition was sweet.
Honored Social Butterfly

Aretha Franklin  covering Eleanor Rigby

Periodic Contributor

I agree. Actually, embracing both versions with enjoyment every time. Thanks.

I saw Frank Zappa cover Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven at a small venue in Burlington VT. It was beyond amazing. 

Periodic Contributor

Little Big Town and Jimmy Webb pay tribute to Glenn Campbell at the 2017 CMAโ€™s with this incredible version of Wichita Lineman.

The harmony is perfect! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/_Iz83-Cmt6A

Honored Social Butterfly

@rr2823 wrote:

Little Big Town and Jimmy Webb pay tribute to Glenn Campbell at the 2017 CMAโ€™s with this incredible version of Wichita Lineman.

The harmony is perfect! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/_Iz83-Cmt6A

That was a great performance. Thanks for posting it.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Periodic Contributor

Periodic Contributor

Yes. Though Campbellโ€™s version always tug on my heart. The visual and words with message so down to earth. Thanks.

Social Butterfly

Elvis' rendition of Blue Suede Shoes surpassed the original version by Carl Perkins.

Periodic Contributor

Neil Diamond did a version of "God Onlly Knows" that was originally done by The Turtles. Neil's version was beautifully done, sung almost as a prayer. The Turtles version sounded more like a take-off of "Tiptoe through the Tulips!" Neil's version was done with a full orchestra & really got to the meaning of the song.

Periodic Contributor

Song: โ€œI Will Always Love You.โ€ I like Dolly Partonโ€™s version. Then, I heard the same song in soundtrack for movie โ€œThe Body Guard.โ€ Sung by Whitney Houston; that renditions so beautifully presented. Thanks.

PJ

Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry, Phyllis - I think Dolly's version was much prettier, and her sound was truer to the words.
Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

"It Keeps You Runnin'".  As much as I love The Doobie Brothers' original, Carly Simon's is the version that gives me the chills.

J.J. Cale's "After Midnight" by "Slowhand" Clapton? Of course.

Jimi's "Voodoo Child" by Stevie Ray? Superb.

Honorable Mention: I adore Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" rendition by Maiysha.

https://youtu.be/DYaOpCP5TXY

Contributor

Sheryl Crow  The First Cut vis the Deepest

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Manfred Mann's cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded By The Light" is such a superior rendition as to make the original almost unlistenable (and, yes, I'm a big Springsteen fan of many of his other songs). For me, it's the vocals of Mann, the use of the organ and early computer generated sounds that make it superior to Springsteen's version.

Contributor

Randy Newman's version of his song, "Guilty," is good, but Joe Cocker nails it.

Periodic Contributor

Billy Hitte once recorded a song called "The Fite of the Smth Eng", a slow balland paying tribute to the lost. The new version by Olif Spear is a LOT better! That FM station that I hear the newscasts play that song once in a while!

Contributor

Trying again, my Kindle keeps changing Dolly Parton to Patton. Dolly Parton originally wrote "I Will Always Love You." Sorry for the typo.

Periodic Contributor

Guns & Roses "knocking on hevens door", way better than the original by Dylan, Guns & Roses " Sympathy for the Devil", a step above the Rolling Stones version, Guns & Roses "Live and let die", read once that Paul McCartney did not like the version. 

Contributor

One of my favorites is "I Will Always Love You" originally by Dolly Patton. However, when Whitney Houston remade it in the movie, "The Bodyguard" she sent to the galaxy! Many radio stations continue to play this timeless love song!

Super Contributor

I don't know where "Wind Beneath My Wings" came from, but the first time I ever heard it was by Sheena Easton...  and I fell in LOVE with that song.  I absolutely can't stand what Bette Midler did to it.

Super Contributor

I like almost everything Port Chuck has covered better than the originals.

Periodic Contributor

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's version of "House at Pooh Corner" vs. original by Kenny Loggins.

Contributor

Johnny Cashโ€™s cover of Trent Reznorโ€™s song โ€œHurt.โ€ I read that when Reznor heard Cash was going to cover the song, he wasnโ€™t pleased. After he heard Cashโ€™s version, he completely understood why Cash wanted to sing it. Cash brought an emotional level seldom heard in modern music. The aching pain in his voice could bring tears to your eyes. Just stunningly beautiful. 

Regular Contributor

Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends", which was originally recorded by The Beatles.

Regular Contributor

Don't forget "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window"
Conversationalist

Joe Cocker/Mad Dogs and Englishman. Absolute killer cut.
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry   Elvis   covering Hank Williams

going back and listening to Elvis reminds me of what a great great voice he had...   RIP Elvis

Social Butterfly

JIMMIE DALE GILMORE DOES A GREAT COVER OF THIS & ALSO OF"MACK THE KNIFE".
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

There are many songs by original performers that become icons in and of themselves. One such song would be Billie Jean by Michael Jackson. However, once in a while someone comes along who can take the song to different place, and that is what makes it a great cover. Here is an interesting take on Billie Jean by Aloe Blacc with a string quartet. You may like it or hate it, but that is the way art works, and this man is an artist. 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP