Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

Honored Social Butterfly

GREAT COVERS OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS

For many an original song that they love cannot and will not ever be duplicated by a cover, but there are many songs that have been done equally (debatebly) well by others..

So do you have favorites?

What are your favorite covers of favorite songs?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

That was an awesome rendition of Billie Jean. I'd never heard it before. Thanks

Contributor

One of my favorites was William Bell 1968 " I Forgot to be Your Lover." In 2002 my grandson was shocked when I told him that Jaheim remade his favorite song " Put That Woman First" from the original popular in my day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Trampled Rose by Allison Kraus

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

This will probably be controversial. But this is my opinion. Even tho Bob Dylan was a very good songwriter, I didn't really like his performance of those songs. It was always lacking something, regardless of how good they were. It seemed to me that his songs were just demo versions in need of further refining. Just about anyone who had their own version of his song(s) did a better job with it. I still like him tho.

Contributor

The "Wagon Wheel" we know today was never done by Dylan.

Contributor

"Wagon Wheel" originally and spectacularly done by Old Crow Medicine Show. Covered by Darius Rucker and became one of his greatest hits. I believe he got a Grammy for it.

Honored Social Butterfly

This cover by Elvis of the S&G classic Bridge Over Troubled Water was so perfectly and beautifully done, it still blows me away. Elvis covered a lot of songs, and made them all special because his voice was unlike any other. It was truly a special gift.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Periodic Contributor

Re: Elvis Presley’s cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water - Amazing! He absolutely took it to Church! Thanks for sharing the clip! 

Contributor

I agree. Everything Elvis did was special and will always be timeless.

Social Butterfly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgx2zKP1Q

WE ESPECIALLY LOVE LEON BRIDGES BECAUSE HE GOT HIS START OVER HERE   IN THE NEAR SOUTH  NEIGHBORHOOD  OF FORT WORTH! HE IS A VERY TALENTED YOUNG MAN- GREAT COVER HERE OF WILLIE NELSON  CLASSIC &  HIS FIRST ALBUM "COMING HOME"  THE BEST  R & B   AROUND TODAY!

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Let It Be - The Beatles cover by John Legend & Alicia Keys (wow! they're awesome!)

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

The Smithereens   I Saw Her Standing There

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Contributor

Simon and Garfunkle "Hazy Shade of Winter" covered by The Bangles

https://youtu.be/TxrwImCJCqk

Social Butterfly

I'D AGREE- A GREAT  COVER OF A TIMELESS SONG!

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rj72135989 wrote:

Simon and Garfunkle "Hazy Shade of Winter" covered by The Bangles

https://youtu.be/TxrwImCJCqk

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed listening to it. It's a really good cover, and a group I had not heard before. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Original  CCR

Honored Social Butterfly

Limp Bizkit  Behind Blue Eyes

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

The Smithereens  Time Won't Let Me

Contributor

This one is okay but the original, sung by Sonny Geraci for The Outsiders, is perfection.
0 Kudos
Contributor

All Along The Watchtower written by Bob Dylan (I hate his music). Jimi Hendrix did an awesome cover.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rc42098618 wrote:

All Along The Watchtower written by Bob Dylan (I hate his music). Jimi Hendrix did an awesome cover.

So you mean you hate his singing?   

Conversationalist

I'll grant you Robert Zimmerman can't sing a lick. But, he may the one of the greatest song writers of our generation.
I could give a list, but it it be too long too list of the great songs he's written, it's kind of scary. Most of them recorded, like Jimi, by other artists.
Social Butterfly

WHEN IT COMES TO COVERS, WE SHOULD PAY HOMAGE TO THE ORIGINAL GREAT BLUES ARTISTS- JOHN LEE HOOKER, MUDDY WATERS, HOWLIN 'WOLF, ETC. 7 THE ROCKERS WHO INTRODUCED US TO THEIR MUSIC. MY CURRENT FAVORITE COMPILATION CD IS "GOD DON'T NEVER CHANGE" COVERS OF BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON SONGS BY TOM WAITS, LUCINDA WILLIAMS, TEDESCHI-TRUCKS, SINEAD O'CONNOR, ETC.
Conversationalist

AMEN, without the blues artists, The Stones, Clapton, Beck, Elvis, Zepellin,
Fleetwood Mac, and a whole lot more wouldn't have had anything to sing about.
Social Butterfly

MY FAVORITE WAS THE ANIMALS, ESP. THIS ONE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCBg3GmzQM WE HAD NO IDEA IT WAS A BLUES CLASSIC- JUST GOOD TO LEARN TO SLOW DANCE TO !
Honored Social Butterfly

@l483260lwrote:
MY FAVORITE WAS THE ANIMALS, ESP. THIS ONE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCBg3GmzQM WE HAD NO IDEA IT WAS A BLUES CLASSIC- JUST GOOD TO LEARN TO SLOW DANCE TO !

This is indeed a classic.. the powerful voice of Eric Burdon and that wonderful song!! Love it.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

A CLASSIC BLUES SONG ALSO COVERED BY A ROCK BAND( THE DOORS). THE ORIGINAL BY HOWLIN' WOLF;-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVIA1n5ng4Y JOHN LEE HOOKER ALSO RECORDED IT.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Clash   I Fought the Law

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

WAS THE ORIGINAL BOBBY DARIN?
Social Butterfly

HE'S ONE OF THOSE AGELESS ROCKERS- SAW HIM LIVE(& FREE!) IN DOWNTOWN FORT WORTH AT MAIN ST. ARTS FESTIVAL IN 1995 OR SO!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP