course, if they were in a band and also went solo you can still name
them such as Jon Bon Jovi or Richie Sambora both of whom are members
of the group Bon Jovi but have also gone solo.  Here's some of
mine from times past to the present:

Frank Sinatra,
Perry Como, Dean Martin, Brook Benton, Jerry Butler, Conway Twitty,
Johnny Cash, Charley Pride, Johnny Tillotson, Donovan,
Eddie Cochran, Gene McDaniels, Glen Yarborough, Neil Young, Bob
Dylan, John Fogerty, John Mellencamp, Eric Clapton, and so many more.

You may also name
your favorite male singer from a band but not the band itself. 
For instance, we all know that Diane loves the band Aerosmith
but she would say Steven Tyler. 

Regular Contributor

Cat Stevens was my all time favorite, but also love Elton John, John Mellencamp, Neil Diamond and Mark Miller from Sawyer Brown.
Regular Contributor

Favorite male singers:
Neil Diamond, John Fogerty, Marco Antonio Soliz, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Jackson Brown, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Andy Williams, Peter Cetera, George Strait.
Contributor

Chris Mann gets my vote for best contemporary singer.  His voice just melts my heart.  If you haven't heard him yet, you really need to check him out.  He is currenty touring in "Phantom of the Opera" in the lead role. 

Trusted Contributor

Caetano Veloso. Still going strong at about 75. Absolutely infectious, addictive sound.
Contributor

Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Oris Redding, Wilson Pickett, Johnny Taylor, BB King, James Brown, Michael Jackson, Prince, Elvis, Elton John, George Strait, Donald **bleep**an & Royce Jones. Just a few, but the most memorable

Periodic Contributor

I love the voices already mentioned but am really drawn to Mark Knopfler, David Bowie and Ben Harper's voices. There are so many more but those are the guys that first come to mind.
Contributor

Bob Marley and Eric Clapton  No. 1 favorites

Contributor

Roy Orbison, Paul McCartney, Michael Buble, Andy Williams, Paul Simon, Elvis, Neil Sedaka, John Denver, Michael Jackson

Ramona
Regular Contributor

My favorite male singer has to be Josh Groban.  Even singing in another language, he's compelling.  

Bronze Conversationalist

Johnny Mathis......"The Twelfth of Never" among others of his...

Periodic Contributor

Rau Malo-Chris Isaak-Roy Orbison-Beck-John Mayer-Mark Knopfler- Conway Twitty-Dwight Yoakim-Ray Charles-Pavarotti
Honored Social Butterfly

Paul Hewson AKA Bono

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)

Maynard James Keenan (A Perfect Circle, Tool)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio)

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

Geoff Tate (Queensrรฟche)

Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)

Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Brandon Boyd (Incubus)

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Lou Gramm (Foreigner)

Robert Smith (The Cure)

Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)

Alice Cooper

Sammy Hagar

Elton John

David Bowie

Gazebo (aka Paul Mazzolini)

Leonard Cohen

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor

Jim Croce

Simon and Garfunkel (I know, I know... but they go together, am I right?)

Marvin Gaye

Luther Vandross

Smokey Robinson

Josh Groban

Andrea Bocelli

Ronnie Milsap

Alan Jackson

Sorry... once I started, I couldn't stop Smiley Wink

Honored Social Butterfly

@Cirice wrote:

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)

Maynard James Keenan (A Perfect Circle, Tool)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio)

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

Geoff Tate (Queensrรฟche)

Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)

Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Brandon Boyd (Incubus)

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Lou Gramm (Foreigner)

Robert Smith (The Cure)

Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)

Alice Cooper

Sammy Hagar

Elton John

David Bowie

Gazebo (aka Paul Mazzolini)

Leonard Cohen

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor

Jim Croce

Simon and Garfunkel (I know, I know... but they go together, am I right?)

Marvin Gaye

Luther Vandross

Smokey Robinson

Josh Groban

Andrea Bocelli

Ronnie Milsap

Alan Jackson

Sorry... once I started, I couldn't stop Smiley Wink

LOL!  I hear ya.

On Simon and Garfunkel thier voices blend so well , thier harmonies so tight it is sometimes difficult to pick them apart when listening. At least that's what my ears have long reported.

Off hand I'd go for Cohen, Bono, Pavarotti, my father's tenor, Freddie Mercury, Bryan Duncan, Roger Waters, David Gilmore, Luther Vandross, Alan Parsons, Paul Anka, Elvis, ... I'm sure there's more male vocalists I'd list if I'd had a titch more coffee. :))

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Roger Daltrey

Robert Plant

Mark Farner

Frank Sinatra

Tom Jones

Super Contributor

In Response to post:

HEAR! HEAR!  BON JOVI FOR PRESIDENT!!! 

(that would be sooo cool...) 

Hey Blanca,

I'm with you!!!!  He's definitely got my vote.

Janese

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Why heck ya...  we got the frontmen all sorted out  LOL 

Diane

Hey D.,

Nice to see you gals have your priorities straight at the office. LOL

J.

0 Kudos

In Response to post:

I actually have every Bon Jovi CD and Jon's and Richie's solo efforts as well.  I have their box set, DVD's and every movie Jon was in not to mention my large drawing above the bed in my spare room where you would be sleeping right below him. lol

I too prefer the earlier songs but I think he looks just as good now and I don't care what he sings as long as he keeps on singing.

HEAR! HEAR!  BON JOVI FOR PRESIDENT!!! 

(that would be sooo cool...) 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hey Diane,I am glad to see the word is getting out and Nils is getting some publicity.I downloaded it when it first came outI am not real fond of the song but it's Nils and I'm hoping it will grow on me.        ]

Well the download count is pretty good and word spreads  : ) 

I have to check out the song.

Diane

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Okay, that explains it.  I was just wondering do you get a lot of work done at your office?  

Janese

Why heck ya...  we got the frontmen all sorted out  LOL 

Diane

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

In Response to post:

Hi Lenny

Just read this.  You may have already mentioned it but I wondered if you have listened to it?

" Last month, Nils paid tribute to the historical Yankee Stadium by writing and performing a song of the same name that's now available via download free-of-charge on his website (www.nilslofgren.com). The song -- which is based upon the memories that both he and his wife have had over the years at the famed venue -- has been downloaded upwards of 10,000 times since it was made available just prior to the last game played at Yankee Stadium on Sunday, September 21st"

Diane

Hey Diane,I am glad to see the word is getting out and Nils is getting some publicity.I downloaded it when it first came outI am not real fond of the song but it's Nils and I'm hoping it will grow on me.        ]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hey thanks for taking time out of your busy day to chat,the concert was in Columbia,MD at Merriweather Post Pavillion on 06/17/92.I have no idea where my stub would be but I know I have it somewhere it this house.The venue is pavilion seating under cover and out on the lawn.I had pavilion seats so I would have to guess $30.00.Nils family resides in Maryland so it was a pretty cool thing for them to be there.Nils even joked about how long he has been doing concerts and this was the first time the paid to see him play.                                                       Lenny

Hi Lenny

Just read this.  You may have already mentioned it but I wondered if you have listened to it?

" Last month, Nils paid tribute to the historical Yankee Stadium by writing and performing a song of the same name that's now available via download free-of-charge on his website (www.nilslofgren.com). The song -- which is based upon the memories that both he and his wife have had over the years at the famed venue -- has been downloaded upwards of 10,000 times since it was made available just prior to the last game played at Yankee Stadium on Sunday, September 21st"

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Hi

I do not know.  You know how things progress from one thing to another.  It started with glam rock and then somebody said something about tight pants I think  lol  I don't remember,  but it rolled into the hair bands and frontmen and that is how things went.   Women talking music, frontmen tend to come up. hahahah

Diane

Okay, that explains it.  I was just wondering do you get a lot of work done at your office?  

Janese

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Okay, I can understand your talking about the glam rock days due to your calendar but I don't understand why that brought up Bon Jovi.  I don't consider them glam rock.  Nor do I consider Poison, Whitesnake or the Crue to be glam rock.  Hair bands yes but glam rock, no.

But Jon is too cute and on that I do agree.

Janese 

Hi

I do not know.  You know how things progress from one thing to another.  It started with glam rock and then somebody said something about tight pants I think  lol  I don't remember,  but it rolled into the hair bands and frontmen and that is how things went.   Women talking music, frontmen tend to come up. hahahah

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

I also have that CD and a few others. I also have several Bon Jovi CD's including "Slippery When Wet" (of course)...I've seen and heard that they are sounding a little more country which is OK, but I still prefer their earlier songs and their "bad boys of rock" look. 

I actually have every Bon Jovi CD and Jon's and Richie's solo efforts as well.  I have their box set, DVD's and every movie Jon was in not to mention my large drawing above the bed in my spare room where you would be sleeping right below him. lol

I too prefer the earlier songs but I think he looks just as good now and I don't care what he sings as long as he keeps on singing.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Hey all

Cannot remember if Todd
is in here but if so  that's okay here he is again.... 
he has had some great songs!  He is so creative and
talented.   "Hello it's me..  is terrific!

Todd Rundgren

Background information

Birth name

Todd Harry Rundgren

Born

June 22, 1948
(1948-06-22)
(age 60)

Origin

Upper Darby, PA

United States

Genre(s)

Progressive rock

Soft rock

Power pop

Pop rock

Hard rock

Blue-eyed soul

Occupation(s)

Singer,
Songwriter, Guitarist, Pianist, Drummer, Producer, Video
Director, Engineer, and Computer Programmer

Years active

1967 โ€“ present

Label(s)

Bearsville

Associated acts

Nazz

Utopia

The New Cars

Meat Loaf

Ringo Starr
and His All-Starr Band

Website

www.tr-i.com/" rel="nofollow" title="http://www.tr-i.com/">
http://www.tr-i.com/

Hey D.,

I love Todd.  Got to see him in 1992 with Ringo's All Starr Band.  My favorite song is "Bang on the Drum All Day".  That was the Friday anthemn on my favorite radio station.

J.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Hi J

Well he is definately entitled to take a rest...

We were talking about the glam rock days today at work (why you ask...  well I have a Hello Kitty glamrock calendar page LOL)  and one of the girls brought up Bon Jovi along with Poison and Whitesnake and the Crue  and she thought Jon was just too cute   LOL

Diane

Okay, I can understand your talking about the glam rock days due to your calendar but I don't understand why that brought up Bon Jovi.  I don't consider them glam rock.  Nor do I consider Poison, Whitesnake or the Crue to be glam rock.  Hair bands yes but glam rock, no.

But Jon is too cute and on that I do agree.

Janese 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

What can I say, Diane?

Axl Rose and Jon Bon Jovi are two of the lovliest men on Earth! LOL

Well, at least Jon is...Axl isn't that bad now, just looks a little more "mature". 

OK

then the only thing to do is enjoy : )

"Mature"  is a good word ...

You know I love my Steven Tyler  but I think Robert Plant was just a god in his day.  But I will def give respect to Mr. Bon Jovi and Axl. 

Diane

We got our own little topic going here... hot singers...

where is Janese : )

0 Kudos

In Response to post:

"Welcome to the Jungle" is for GN"R what "You Give Love A Bad Name" is for Bon Jovi.  I only have one CD by GN"R and that's a greatest hits CD.  I don't know why I never got that much into them except for certain songs.  They are good so I'll have to check them out some more. 

I also have that CD and a few others. I also have several Bon Jovi CD's including "Slippery When Wet" (of course)...I've seen and heard that they are sounding a little more country which is OK, but I still prefer their earlier songs and their "bad boys of rock" look. 

0 Kudos

In Response to post:

"Welcome to the Jungle" is for GN"R what "You Give Love A Bad Name" is for Bon Jovi.  I only have one CD by GN"R and that's a greatest hits CD.  I don't know why I never got that much into them except for certain songs.  They are good so I'll have to check them out some more. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP