Find answers to your Social Security questions in the AARP Social Security resource center.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Wills, Life Insurance

Message 1 of 5

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

Hi, Angela!

I tried to reach out to you via PM but your account doesn't accept requests/contacts, so please feel free to friend me?

Regarding end of life, many years ago I chose to "donate" my remains to science if not viable for organ donation; that being done, the remains will be used to create diamonds for my daughters and grandchildren.

I don't want an "internment" as I suffered many years at gravesites and don't want my girls to do that; I want them to have a part of me that shines for them.

hth

#VegasStrong

Hi, no I am not doing the private messaging thing, just do not have the time or interest. Thanks for your response. Sounds like you have it all figured out and at peace with it. Yes, I had read about the science donation. Then I wondered what would happen if they did not want my body. A lot of options and choices to make. Hugs, Angela

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I have never liked the idea of a will. Wife and I set up a revocable trust. You find a lawyer (do not do it yourself) who specializes in this area.

A trust goes into action immediately. It avoids probate. There are no court or attorney fees after the trust is established. Your property can be passed immediately and directly to your named beneficiaries.

If you're familiar with Suze Orman, she is a huge proponent of trusts.

You add the living will and any kind of directions you want. The lawyer will do whatever you ask and he/she should have some solid advice for things you may not have thought through or about.

Thank you! Hugs, Angela

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Hi, Angela!

I tried to reach out to you via PM but your account doesn't accept requests/contacts, so please feel free to friend me?

Regarding end of life, many years ago I chose to "donate" my remains to science if not viable for organ donation; that being done, the remains will be used to create diamonds for my daughters and grandchildren.

I don't want an "internment" as I suffered many years at gravesites and don't want my girls to do that; I want them to have a part of me that shines for them.

hth

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I have never liked the idea of a will. Wife and I set up a revocable trust. You find a lawyer (do not do it yourself) who specializes in this area.

A trust goes into action immediately. It avoids probate. There are no court or attorney fees after the trust is established. Your property can be passed immediately and directly to your named beneficiaries.

If you're familiar with Suze Orman, she is a huge proponent of trusts.

You add the living will and any kind of directions you want. The lawyer will do whatever you ask and he/she should have some solid advice for things you may not have thought through or about.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Wills, Life Insurance

Message 5 of 5

Hi All:

Anyone have any advice on the best way to create a will?

At age 61, I am finally sitting down and figuring out how to get my affairs in order. Not being morbid, but realistic. If I was to die today, my only child would be left with dealing with my lack of planning on top of grieving.

I am interested in a living will and I guess a regular will. Lol, not sure of the terminology.

Don't have much, but a second-hand car, bank account and just the regular bills. Thank goodness I have been debt free for years.

Also, with me living in Virginia and her in Florida, would like tips on the best way to handle all of this.

Next, life insurance. Is that the best way to get cremation set up? Would love to hear from others on this.

What about my body, yikes!!! I live in a studio apartment. Would my daughter be responsible to removal of my body? I am guessing so along with my things. Cutting off utilities, car insurance, and so on. So much to think about.

How are you settng things up while still living with passion?

Hugs,

Angela

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season