Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 131 of 307

Texas

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 307

For quite a while it's been Ireland I'd like to head to. But I'm only 28% Irish and that isn't enough to get me in! Housing costs are high.  I have been told it's difficult for an American to settle there --I have no idea if this is true.

I'm trynig to make contact with some ex-pat communities in Ireland and Portugal.

Portugal would be a completely different life from everything I've known and that sounds wonderful! To have one last great adventure.

Anyone know anything about retiring to Portugal?

I'm in Iowa now,and bless the nice peoople here, but I want something more exciting. I'm from Chicago and would go back in a minute--if I could afford it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 307

Conway, SC. Very low property taxes and my wife hates the cold NJ winters.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Singapore

Message 134 of 307

@SpaceBlue wrote:

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

@SpaceBlue wrote:

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 307

I love Michigan summers. As a 30 year construction worker, the winters seem longer than I like now. Retirement is around the corner and New Mexico or Arizona would be ideal in the wintertime. I kinda want the best of both worlds.  Tax free pension state would be my choice to live when retired. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 307
Virgin Islands very great place and near the water.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 307

i don't know i need help with planning where and if I want an apt or a townhouse to relocate to or where I  would be happy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 307

We live in the NW and love it but can see why snowbirds are snowbirds. Need somewhere warm for 1/2 the year. Maybe Costa Rica or Honduras.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 307

My wife and I are retired and live in New Jersey. We have sold our home and renting while we decide where we want to move. The choices are either stay in New Jersey or move to Pennsylvania. Each state has it's pros and cons, however, we need some definite info on which state overall is the best for retirees. We do not want to move to Pa. and when we get here find that, overall, it isn't any cheaper than NJ. Can anyone help?

Robert J Farr
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 307

What do you want to do when you get there?  What gives you meaning in your life? Will you find it there?

Carol King

Where Shall I Live When I Retire?

Kudos
Views