Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Periodic Contributor

I chose Florida and Baja Mexico, and I couldn't be more pleased with my choices!

Periodic Contributor

Keep in mind that retiring to where people like to vacation may not be the best idea.  In Myrtle Beach, there are times that we are innundated with tourists.  My advice is that if it's a place you like to visit, otheres do too.

Periodic Contributor

My husband and I are snowbirds in Myrtle Beach Sc.  We love it for the exact reasons that you want to leave LI.  We're former New Yorkers also. 

What I would recommend is that you decide what kind of home you want and start there.  You can find a nice condo from $100K and up.  Single family homes are $200k and up.  There are communities just for Active Adults(which I should have gone with).

We opted for a condo which is less than a mile and a half away from the beach.  there is plenty of things to do.  However, if you don't want to have vacationers in your development, I recommend you let the realtor know.  Our realtor told us that we didn't want a condo and we didn't listen.  Now, we have to deal with a lot of tourists and they don't care what they do in our complex.

Del Webb is building on 62nd Northe and Bypass 17.  Their homes are beautiful but you would spend about $325k depending on model and extras you choose.  They are adding one story duplexes late May 019 according to the website but no price was given.

Real estate taxes are extremely low.  State sales tax is 8% but Myrtle Beach taxes on another 1%(probably to get the tourists).

Hope this helps.

New Bern NC is a beautiful boating community.  Near a river that goes to the ocean.  Beautiful ocean beaches like Long Island had in the past. Friendly people, great restaurants, theaters, and continued education if you like that.  Plenty of activities, local hospital in town and specialty medical centers close by.  Houses are affordable (atleast 1/3 L.I. prices) and taxes are low.   Pleanty of shopping venues.   Any spot, so far, in NC is a good place to be.

I am considering a move to Tennessee. They have senior friendly tax laws. The weather includes 4 seasons without the heat and cold extremes.
Regular Contributor

There's a *huge* sales tax on just about eveddything though.  And if it snoes and/or ices, you'rd stuck.  I speak from experience.

I'm looking into Tennesee when I retire in the next 12 years. The tax laws are senior friendly. There are mountains and bodies of water, have 4 seasons without the extreme cold or heat. 

Contributor

I want to live in a state that has low or no taxes on ss; low taxes in general and housing costs are not thru the roof.  I also want to be near a medical center.  I was thinking Florida, **bleep** or TN.  Not sure what other states fit my criteria.  I live in the CA. Bay Area now.  I just became a first time grandmother so living too far away probably won't work.  **bleep** is probably my best bet? Need to check this out.  Any suggestions anyone?

Contributor

the "bleep" is Arizona....not sure why it bleeped!
Contributor

We wanted the seasons, but not too cold any more. Moved from MA. Wanted affordable home. Not nuts about heavy rains in the appropriate months,but they do, indeed, bring beautiful flowers. Wanted to be no more than a day from the ocean. We picked KY and even after almost 20 years, have never looked back, We are in SW KY, only 20 miles from the TN border and 125 miles from Nashville. Love it here. Won't ever go back.
Regular Contributor

Wherenin SW KY? I'm from Murray, and even though it's still home, I can't see myself ever going back there to live.

Take a look at Ocean Isle Beach, NC.  Inland Waterway side is nice.  Small town, but easy drive to Wilmington, NC or Murtle Beach, SC.

Regular Contributor

You are reading my mind...or better yet, been reading over my shoulder for the last 2 months! I’m 62 but looking at different places to semi-retire in 5 or 6 years. The southeastern coast of the US looks pretty darn good. I’d like to be away for November through March, minimum. My plans are when I come back in April, I will take care of dogs from mid-April through October. I’d love to use that $ made  over those 6+ months to pay for my rental for the next November through March, that way never having to touch my social security for the rent once I retire at 70. I could go to a different part of the southeast coast every year! South Carolina and Florida look the most interesting to me right now. And living steps from the water...wow! My fantasy come true.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The Charleston area is very expensive, unless you are rich.  Traffic is horrible, and I have not found the people too welcoming.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Virgin Islands very great place and near the water.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hope you like hurricanes! The USVI was devastated considerably after Irma and Maria.
Regular Contributor

If you want to live near the water, you may want to check out Delaware (Oceanview, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Bethany Beach).  It is inexpensive to live there, there is no sales tax and they do not tax you on your pension.  My husband and I are looking at Oceanview when we are ready to retire.

I'm semi retired as a PA resident and also like the Oceanview DE area. No sales tax and low property taxes. However, if one decides to make DE their full time resident state, their out of state pension will be taxed by DE.

Honored Social Butterfly

@al54333720 - I live in NJ, and I've considered a move to the area of Delaware you mention. I'd prefer to be in a single family home, but those beach towns don't seem to have walkable downtowns with good shopping. Condo communities seem to be further inland. Do you live there .. how walkable are the towns, and are they inundated with vacationers/part-time residents in the summer?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Contributor

I presently live in the Northern Virginia area, but we are looking to eventually retire in Delaware for the reasons that I mentioned earlier.  I like Ocean View because it is a small town, which is close to Bethany Beach, but you are not inundated with the beach goers.  Rehoboth Beach is 20 minutes away, so if you want to go shopping, they have the big Tanger Outler there, and you are also about 20 minutes away from Ocean City, Maryland, which they also have the outlets in Ocean City, but you are smart to shop in Delaware because there is no sales tax.  Personally, I feel Delaware is a win win for me, and I would definitely research the Ocean View, Delaware area if you are contemplating Delaware.  Best of luck!! 🙂

Contributor

I would prefer to live in the Pacific Northwest but I don't think I can afford it.

Second choice:  Pennsylvania

Third:  Panama

Contributor

People moving to the area have made living conditions unbearable, needless to say they are not welcomed with open arms.  Traffic is horrible, housing is unaffordable.  The infrastructure of the area has not kept up with the population growth.

Texas

Contributor

I would like to retire to charlottesville or Fredericksburg. Which is better for seniors and cost of living?

Periodic Contributor

What do you want to do when you get there?  What gives you meaning in your life? Will you find it there?

Carol King

Where Shall I Live When I Retire?

Regular Contributor

Although PA is beautiful it is quite expensive and winters are cold.
Contributor

Florida where it's nice and warm.

Regular Contributor

@bagelcrisp wrote:

Florida where it's nice and warm.

Florida is Hot and Humid during the summer and depending on where you live it can get quite cold during the winter. I am so ready for Winter.

But we do not have a State Income Tax and Senoirs get an extra deduction their property tax.

I retired several years ago, but. could not volunteer anywhere because I was the only caretaker for my parents. I've since moved to Fl. , my dream come true, and love it here. I have started to volunteer at my church and signed up as a disaster mental health worker. I hope to give back to my community.
Gold Conversationalist

SK1008,

Where do you live in Florida?

You are setting a good example for giving back.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP