Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

WORKING OUT / EXERCISING DURING RETIREMENT! WHAT WORKS FOR YOU? HOW DO YOU STAY CONSISTENT?

Info Seeker

WORKING OUT / EXERCISING DURING RETIREMENT! WHAT WORKS FOR YOU? HOW DO YOU STAY CONSISTENT?

Hi, all- I have been reading these posts here for a long time, and finally decided to join the fun. I used to work out consistently when I was working full-time before retirement. However, since retirement, I've felt that my schedule has been upside down, and I've found it hard to work out regularly.

I'm curious to learn more from all of you and would love it if you could include responses to these questions in your answers:
- When did you retire?
- What kind of workouts do you do? Do you have a trainer or do you do them yourself?
- Who taught you how to work out?
- How do you hold yourself accountable?

I can go first!
- I retired in May of last year after spending many years working in various businesses!
- I used to weight lift, as my therapist had prescribed. I had a trainer who taught me the basics, and then I visited the gym 3 times a week. I would do a compound movement day, an upper body day, and a lower body day. I would never go heavy, but I would still get sore constantly.
- My trainer at the time taught me most of my workouts!
- I think about the future health I want, and that motivates me. I also fear developing joint pain and muscle weaknesses as I get older, so that gets me going.

Would love to hear what my fellow retirees think!

Cheers,
Graham

Kudos
Views
Replies
Bronze Conversationalist

@SocialB236472 I think all physical activities including exercising helps us as we age. As you know, being retired from the structured work world provides freedom that we may not have had for many years. It is so easy to become a "free bird". So, we may need to schedule exercise/physical activities into our daily lives. This is my approach. I retired from a structured job in 2015. Consulted for a few years and may occasionally still do. I have been a walker for many years, but was not committed to any schedule or goal nor recorded any stats. So, it was easy to place other activities ahead of walking (exercise). At any rate, my son found me a free app., called Runkeeper, which tracks running as well as walking. In January 2021, I started recording my activities which included walking as well as some running (which began around May 2021). The running got me into 5 K races for the age 70 plus bracket. I finished in the top three (70 plus) a few times and was hooked. I could not believe how many folks (male and female) ran/walked in the 70 plus and age 60 to 69 brackets. Anyway, since January 2021, I have logged 1,819 miles which is, on average, about 60 miles/month. In reality, the winter months which is generally about 4 to 4.5 months (cold,rain, snow or ice) in my location have been less and the other months have been more. Although I like outdoor walking/running, I joined a health center with an indoor track (1/12th mile) and now have a more consistent average throughout the year. Also, the health center has weights, pulley machines, treadmills, etc. They provide an intro to the equipment via a personal trainer. You can work with a personal trainer or not. I started using the pulley type machines (Precor machines) in January 2023 and use 12 of the 14 machines 3 days per week. I will walk/run the other 3 to 4 days per week. Although the Precor machines are great for building strength, I am not improving my walking/running stats. However, I actually feel better and have lost a little weight which was not my goal. I may miss a day here and there, but for most weeks, I commit to about 1 hour per day whether pulley machines or walking/running. So, I am accountable to myself using the app., Runkeeper, and pulley machines  three times per week,  

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, Graham!

Not sure of your age, so this is based on mine (currently 68.5).

I retired at 66, and having never been an exercise person (chased 3 daughters, 8 grands, and multiple family pets, while working full-time for 50+ years, didn't really need it way back).

When I did actually retire, I started daily routine here at AARP, with videos, particularly Bryant Johnson (RBG's trainer for 21 years) and Lorraine Ladish (wonderful yoga guru). These videos start my daily routine; there are enough to mix daily.

I'd recommend reviewing any of the Health videos and find trainer(s) whose programs you enjoy, then you'll find your fitness "groove".

hth

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Info Seeker

Hi there,

This is very helpful to hear. I can attest that chasing children and young ones definitely count as working out ๐Ÿ™‚ 

I will take a look at the AARP videos. I have not used them extensively yet. Thank you for the recommendations.

How do you stay accountable though?

best,

Graham

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Graham, I guess "accountable" is because of all those decades being accountable to family life. I wondered for years how my mom always woke and went to the gym when we'd all grown and left home and she retired, then realized it was finally her time to be accountable to herself...

So guess that's how I hold my self accountable; sad but true, I am my mother's daughter?

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Wow! I had no idea AARP had all these fitness videos. They look great! I retired last year, after working as a research chemist and then teaching chemistry for 25 years in CCSD. I was always on my feet walking around the lab or classroom (plus going to Pilates and yoga classes after school), until the pandemic happened ... then I had to spend way too many hours sitting in front of a computer trying to keep up with everything they were asking us to do. This really exacerbated my back issues, so after retiring I was going to PT 3X/week.

My PT allotment recently ran out, and I've been needing to get into a new routine, so this is so helpful! I will definitely work a few of these into my day. I like that they are in 10 minute chunks. Thank you for mentioning them! I'm seriously finding that if I go for a week or two without doing consistent exercise, things go downhill pretty fast. I can't afford to let that happen -- I've got too much stuff I wanna do! As Bob Marley said, "Lord, I've got to keep on moving!" โค๏ธ Millineutron

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 12.32.25 AM.png

Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, Milli! I'm so happy this is helpful. I think you'll find many PT videos; I seem to recall watching several in the weeks following injury I experienced.

Is your CCSD Clark County School District, here in Vegas? I ask because due to our extreme temperatures, that's how I became daily user of AARP fitness videos.

Anyway, hope the PT videos here are helpful.

#StaySafe

denese

#VegasStrong
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Yes, Clark County! Go Golden Knights! ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks again!

Milli

Periodic Contributor

Hi. I am new to AARP and I wanted to ask a question and not sure where to place it.  i'm 72 and in good health, but I feel as if "old people aren't wanted ".  I am single and live alone, a retired school teacher. But in trying to find social situations to plug in to so I can have "friends", it just seems there is no niche for older folks.  What is your experience ? Thank you

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP