Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retirement’s Revolving Door: Why Some Workers Can’t Call It Quits

Honored Social Butterfly

In his view, Tim Franson utterly failed at retirement.

After 20 years as a high-ranking vice president at drugmaker Eli Lilly, Franson and his wife, Chris, a successful real estate agent, thought they were quietly retiring nearly a decade ago to Bonita Springs, Fla.

For the first month or so, Franson said, he mostly slept. He wasn’t depressed, just mentally and physically exhausted.

Then, “I went crazy,” said Franson. “I’m not very good at sitting around.”

He quickly found himself back at work part time after a friend at a small pharmaceutical company asked him for strategic advice. “Things snowballed from there.”

Today, Franson, 66, consults and works about four days a week, while serving on two for-profit boards and two nonprofit boards.

Welcome to the land of the un-retired — folks who thought they were leaving the work world only to return because they sorely missed something about it, besides the money. These people in their 50s through 80s retired on pensions or savings — or both — but ultimately woke up to the fact there’s more to life than watching Florida sunsets.

https://khn.org/news/retirements-revolving-door-why-some-workers-cant-call-it-quits/

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

I really enjoyed this article and I think this could be me. I really enjoy my work and will really miss it. 

Anyone else?  If so, What did you do?

Honored Social Butterfly

I didn't read the article, but people are only limited by their own initiative, if they're bored during their retirement! There are an endless array of organizations looking not only for volunteers, but people with leadership & management skills. And that's even more true, if people plan to relocate when they retire .. look for places where there ARE things to do that you enjoy!!

I belong to two organization that have chapters nation-wide, and in researching possible spots for a relocation, I make note whether those counties/towns have chapters of those organizations, and how active they are/aren't .. looking at their websites. I've identified performance venues & museums, and houses of worship (if only for the social aspect). Some towns have good demographics, housing & my type of politics .. but if there's nothing to do there, what's the point?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRHwrote:

I didn't read the article, but people are only limited by their own initiative, if they're bored during their retirement! There are an endless array of organizations looking not only for volunteers, but people with leadership & management skills. And that's even more true, if people plan to relocate when they retire .. look for places where there ARE things to do that you enjoy!!

I belong to two organization that have chapters nation-wide, and in researching possible spots for a relocation, I make note whether those counties/towns have chapters of those organizations, and how active they are/aren't .. looking at their websites. I've identified performance venues & museums, and houses of worship (if only for the social aspect). Some towns have good demographics, housing & my type of politics .. but if there's nothing to do there, what's the point?!

Well @EveRH,  this is true.   It takes time and research but yes you can no doubt find things to do after retirement.  When I decide to retire I do not want to sit at home on the couch all day.. but rather spent my time doing things that I would like to do.  

There are also many workers (like myself) who enjoy their work, the social interactions and the continued income that working offers..  so I say that whatever a person chooses, they need to make an active choice.. (provided of course that they have a choice).  

After you retired was there anything you missed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP