There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement living - Getting started - Where to go?

Message 21 of 30

Thank you Vinny for this interesting and helpful letter !

I was hooked till I visited the site and they want me to buy another house. I've owned four and will own no more. Again thank you kindly,

Professor Phineas J. Whoopie

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 30

The Villages are about 1.5 hrs. northwest of Orlando.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 30

Look at NC coast,lots of walkable downtowns
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 30

where are the villages in Florida located at? It seems very interesting to me.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 30

@rk87223492 - I live in central NJ too, and am seriously considering a move south as well! I move from north Jersey to the shore area almost 10 years ago, but my criteria have changed .. I want to be in a walkable downtown area full of culture, but where I can find a single family ranch style house .. which isn't an easy combination! I'd rather not be as far south as Florida, but it's impossible to find walkable downtowns with ranches anywhere else along the shore on the eastern seaboard!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 30

I retire next week but have prepared for retirement 8 years ago by dowsizing house and cars before moving to The Villages in Florida. You have to see it to believe it. It is one of the largest retirement communities in the world spanning 3 counties and containing over 100,000 senior citizens. It was designed by the same company who designed the Universal Studios theme park. All buildings and stores have facades to reflect the area they are located in. We have three town squares, lakes, 29 golf courses and more swimming pools. We have separate lanes for golf carts as many people elect to use carts instead of cars to get around. You name it and we have it within our borders including city and state agencies for driver's licenses, etc.. The streets and sidewalks are kept immaculate and I have yet to see any garbage on one in 8 years. You automatically get a membership to all the Country clubs for dinning or drinks. Some of the best medical care for senior citizens can be found here and the last study showed that we live a little longer than most other seniors do. Every doctor here specializes in senior medical care. There are over 2,000 activities/clubs with 1,000 active each day. Lots of charity groups to join, free exercising in pools or elsewhere. This place has been called Disney World for Adults. If you are picturing old folk sitting in rocking chairs all day you are wrong. This place is for active adults and offers just about any sport you can think of from shuffleboard, archery, dragon boating, softball, tennis, pickleball, basketball, swiming and anything else you can think of. Happy hour is all day long at most places and each night there is free live music and dancing at all the town squares. Also this is a very dog friendly place. The only drawback for some is the very strict homeowner restrictions designed to keep this place beautiful and maintain your home's value. Yes it is hot in the summer but how much time do you really spend outdoors? We go from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned store or restaurant. The first few years I would sweat a lot but now we set our A/C to 80 degress in the summer. We get no real winter here and I wear shorts and a tee shirt almost year round. The people are friendly and since we are all old timers we have a lot in common. We also support and help each other as we get older and need help. You will find a lot of free support here to get you through the rough patches. Also have very nice assisted living places here too and our own state of the art hospital. Go to the website and watch the free video. You can even visit and stay in a home for cheaper than any hotel you can find. We are only an hour away from the theme parks and airport. We love it here and the ranch house we bught cost half of what we sold out NJ house for so I have no mortgage. Did I mention no City or State taxes which really add up. We visited our family here and bought a house online sight unseen. Our credit cards are all paid up and since I did OK for myself salarywise our Social Security is pretty high and we only need to supplement it a littl each year. In fact, I do not really need to invest in the stock market since we can draw down what we already saved since we have no kids to leave anything to. I am fine with CD's that keep me up with COLA. I should mention that althought they sell you on the active lifestyle, you can just live like always. My wife and I have freinds who are not joiners and basically just live our lives as before eating home cooked meals, playing cards and visiting each other as well as dining out one night a month. There are several theaters hers with top name entertainers all year round. If you want to keep busy you can but don't have to.

Retiring is trading one boss for the one you married.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 30

We are from central NJ and head to Myrtle Beach right after Thanksgiving.  I fly back for Christmas and back down again.  We stay until mid to late April.  We have a condo but you can always find monthly rentals in Myrtle Beach.  Most days, are very nice averaging 20+ degrees warmer than NJ without stifling heat.  There are plenty of places to enjoy the outdoors from restaurants, theatres or cinemas, walking trails, parks and the lovely boardwalk.  Shopping for groceries etc is plentiful.  You should understand that on weekends you will encounter renters who may or may not be great neighbors.  Otherwise, it is a great place.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 30

Retiring (early, at the latest) August '19. Converting a former prison transport van into a campervan, and getting as far away from society and people as I can. Mostly to the desert Southwest. I'll have solar, water, propane, and better than a foot ground clearance. Gonna leave this cesspool that is Austin and never...look...back. Oh, I'll go down south & see the grandkids every couple, 4, 6 months or so, but I'll be traveling solo & only interact when I need to fill my water, gas, & fuel tanks and stock up on food.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 30
Go to New Zealand from December thru March. I did this for 26 years commuting from California to Christchurch.
Lon
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Retirement living - Getting started - Where to go?

Message 30 of 30

Retiring in 2 years.  Going to be "snow birds" such that the majority of the year we can be near our kids in NH, but want to escape the long winters.  The question is where to we go for 3 to 4 months a year?  Lots of choices of course.  Suggestions?  

Kudos
Views
Replies