Contributor

Funding an FSA or HSA using 401(k) or IRA funds pre-tax

I am retiring in a month and have been told I won't be eligible anymore for the FSA that my company currently has and I've used for many years.  While I fully expected that, it did get me thinking. Why hasn't the Governmant allowed retired people to fund a FSA or HSA using 401(k) or IRA funds pre-tax? It seems odd that at a time where my medical spending will rise and my income falls, I do not have the option to pay for any medical expesnes pre-tax as I did while employed.

In order to pay $10,000 in Medical bills, I have to cash in $13,000 of my 401(k). For medical expenses to be tax deductible, they'd have to be astronomical and only those expenses in excess of 10% our AGI can we even start deducting them. With an FSA the savings start with the first dollar spent. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png