Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Display of Sold Out rewards

As of today, 12/3/20 there are 15 Sold Out rewards listed. This is annoying at best for anybody trying to participate in the AARP Rewards program as it increases the chances of users missing an available points only reward by having to scroll through all the rewards that are no longer valid. Additionally, as another member mentioned, one may lose the chance of getting an available reward but will miss out as the item will become sold out in the time it takes to scroll through the unavailable ones.

Having Sold Out rewards display on the same day that they sold out is acceptable as it provides a status for those looking for that item. However displaying them for a week now is just bad practices. I for one am starting to lose interest as it appears that there are just old rewards which are no longer available. This should be a simple software fix for your developers. Please encourage them to tidy up the listed rewards.

Thank you.

Contributor

Every time I log in and look at the rewards page, I never see rewards using points that aren’t sold out...what’s the point.

Super Contributor

same here

got points 

everything sold out

Conversationalist

On 12/9/20 we are now up to 20 Sold Out items. I find it so funny that contributing points to the AARP Foundation is 'Sold Out'.  Is anybody actually looking at this besides users?

Seriously, this is a mess and needs to be cleaned up.

Super Contributor

exactly yes what you said

anything i can use is always sold out soon as i see it 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Rewards Warriors,

Agreed, the Sold Out gift cards are keeping us on the site longer searching.

Have you noticed the numerous duplicate gift cards posted, is it a duplicate or 2 of the same card allowing for 200 winners.  These are small discount gift card duplicates.  I think these are fillers since they aren't selling.

@AARPTeri will Sold Out & duplicates remain as filler in the Catalog?

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

The only solution to fixing all of the frustrating problems with this program is a change in the company that is running this program.

Just Saying

lucyp061351
Contributor

If everything for points is EXPIRED or SOLD OUT, what is there to spend our points on except SWEEPSTAKES or INSTANT WINS?  No products ever again?

Bronze Conversationalist

Kudos for you. I believe that some of these gift cards are put on the Rewards page just to pacify us. They must only have 10 each of these gift cards. These Instant Win prizes don't seem to run out. I'm just saying. 

Concerned Member
Silver Conversationalist

@BeachGirl23 

Kudo's or thumbs up BeachGirl I totally agree. 😀

I will start this post with a photo of the very rare, random and elusive notice of an INSTANT WIN.
Yes Virginia they do exist.

IMG_0298.jpg

When you factor in 100 random rewards / 7 days = an average of only 14.28 wins per 24 hr day, or 0.595 wins per hr. 😀😀 
Now you can understand why there are not more winners. Of course without any transparency or accountability one begs to ask, are all random 100 wins awarded ?? 🤔 🤔

Personally, I don't think they are.
On another sad note there are exactly ZERO, 0 NONE NADA points only Extra Credit Rewards for December left. 😫 😫
All are Sold Out and here it is only Dec 3rd, 2020. What I find very insulting, management will leave these sold out placements, banners or whatever in place. If it's sold out and not available than take it down, don't make some members feel miserable over being denied the opportunity to collect a satisfactory reward. They put in the work and time anticipating a small reward in return.
SO SAD Just Saying 

lucyp061351
Conversationalist

Wow! Is that what an Instant Win looks like? Congrats!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Congrats @rednexsrus on your Instant Win.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

It's better to have those sold out messages displayed on an ongoing basis, and here's why.

An integral challenge of this "game" we play is when to use your allotted 3 digital winnings.  Obtain a prize early, and you lose your ammunition for the balance of the month.  It's not uncommon to buy a digital only to regret it the next day when something you really wanted shows up.

And if you are waiting for something better, how do you know that the better didn't already come and go.  

By leaving the sold out up longer, those visiting with less frequency can see that something they wanted came and went, so the chances of it showing again within the calendar month are in all probability less.  That gift, might, but more often than not, most "prizes" appear once.

No question, the site is congested and more challenging to negotiate with so many sold out signs on display.  But I'd rather spend some concentration sifting through all those signs and seeing what came and went already.

So I respectfully disagree, and see it as advantageous to put some extra effort into it.

Periodic Contributor

"Sold Out" rewards can always be placed at the BOTTOM of the rewards page -- as is common practice with other sites.

grDolphin
Silver Conversationalist

Good idea!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I cannot speak for others using the system but when something comes up that I can use or want and I have not used my 3 digital winnings, I get it at that time. I do not wait until something better comes along. It is rare enough to find something available that I can use to gamble that something better may come along later. 

No offense, but I do not find it helpful to see that I may have missed something I would have liked getting and is now sold out. I do not mean this sarcastically when I say perhaps I should have been tracking which businesses are featured when. So far it seems totally random to me what is offered when. There have been months when I have not used my 3 digital winnings as either they sold extremely quickly (as in the case of just this past Tuesday) or the available vendors were not in my immediate area or of no use to me (such as Build a Bear or Nike). I can accept that as it is part of the 'game'. I don't mind putting in extra effort at all but scrolling through what I perceive as useless information is annoying.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. But I thank you for your response. It most certainly presented a different point of view.

Silver Conversationalist

BeachGirl says I do not wait until something better comes along. It is rare enough to find something available that I can use to gamble that something better may come along later” speaking of her 3 monthly rewards.

Very wise choice. 😆 I have supported the “ A bird in the hand, two in the bush” concept for quite some time. Nothing feels worse than missing the chance to redeem all 3 rewards during the month. 😖 😖 It really sucks. I lost two (2) rewards back in Oct. not because I was waiting on something better, but because everything sold out in less than a day, and what did not sell right away were items that I could not use. 😫 ie. Safeway, Red Robin, Carrabba’s, UNO Pizza. you know the drill. I don’t even have kin that I could send these too.

Just Saying

lucyp061351
Gold Conversationalist

@rednexsrus   Not sure where you are located but the Carrabras card is also good at Outback and Bonefish Grill.   (Fleming's as well, but I've never seen a Fleming's).   It's my favorite offer.   Used two this week ($40) along with the $20 loyalty reward (also good at the other three restaurants) and got enough food for the two of us for three days.   Most appreciated!  Not being near any of these would be the pits.  This company also has a 10% AARP discount when you don't have special offers to redeem.   

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Or as my cat loving sister-in-law would say 'a bird in the jaw is worth 2 in the paw'. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

How about removing from main screen and giving a filter option to see sold out items.  Should be simple programming.

Am curious are you one of the lucky ones on East coast, those of us on the West Coast are lucky to get any leftovers let alone hold out for what we think might be a better award.

Regular Contributor

A very good idea.

Correct, it is simple programming.

Unfortunately, simple programming is probably still beyond their capabilities.

And they aren't really interested in listening to members'/users' good ideas either.

Bronze Conversationalist

👍😂 I couldn't help myself

Concerned Member
Gold Conversationalist

@tinasinge   Not  anymore.   While it might have been a valid complaint when the month's main rewards came on at 9 a.m. EST,  PST now has the big advantage on the bigger rewards.   They come on at 9 p.m. PST on the last day of the month.   We in EST have to stay up to midnight to have any chance.   Getting up early doesn't work....long gone by then.    Admins have said that other rewards are now coming on randomly and I have found that to be true.   

Conversationalist

Oh you are good. How did you find this out? 

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@BeachGirl23   I think you're asking me.  Answer is the hard way.   Missed out completely in November as I did not know they were coming on at midnight EST.  Got up at 5:30 and deals were sold out.   Another poster told us what had been in the blanks.  (Maybe that's why they now show the sold outs?  I don't know)   This month I stayed up until midnight...hard for me as I'm a morning person.  I did get my three redemptions.   Lucy said most were  gone by 1:30 a.m. CST.     This time frame works well for PST; EST not so much.  I do not know what time the deals will start this month.  I always conk out, even on New Year's Eve, lol, and not just since I've been older.

Conversationalist

Thank you for the response. Now I know it was purely trial and error on your part and I thank you for your diligence in nailing this down. 

I am a night owl so one would think this wouldn't be a problem for me but I would actually have to remember to go after them on the 1st. That'll be a challenge!

Thanks again.

Gold Conversationalist

@BeachGirl23  Now watch me stay up until midnight and the roll out time changed!   We never know.

Conversationalist

Don't feel bad, @tinasinge - I am in the Eastern Time Zone and I miss them too. 

I really like your idea of having a filter to see what has sold out. Good one!!

Trusted Contributor

To Teri, can you please provide official AARP feedback/ confirmation do the biggest rewards come on the last day of the month and should we check randomly throughout the day because they are not only released in the morning?

Thank you for response.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Rewards are released randomly throughout the day and in no particular order throughout the month.  We really appreciate feedback from you here in the forums.  We do share this feedback and also look at feedback from all of our customer communication channels as we continuously work to improve the program.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Please do make changes to the Rewards program based on the feedback here.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP