What's a 'skimmer scam?' Find out on AARP Live. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 51 of 75
I'm 63 and would love to stop coloring my hair, but so far haven't had the guts to do it.
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 75

I have pretty much ignored it.  For a while people were asking who did my hair color because they loved my shimmering platinum highlights.  I helped my mother with her hair when I was a young girl and vowed never to get caught up in that.  

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 75

I'm 57. I've been coloring my hair for years. I'm a natural dull brown, but I've been dying it darker because I think it's prettier. Gray hairs appear...   a lot of them & of course the darker my hair is, the more obvious the grays are. I'm thinking I should do gray highlights & then just let nature take its course.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 75

Having been a hairstylist for many years, I colored my hair.  It turned into every 4 to 5 weeks I was coloring to hide the roots. When I turned 64 I realized what a waste of time and money it was.  I had it highlighted and let it go.  The single best thing I have ever done for myself.  I should have quit coloring many years before.  I love this a lot.  No fuss at all.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 75

I started coloring my hair about the time I started showing gray which was about 45.  I kept it up because I was still working at the time, until I decided I couldn't be bothered with it any longer.  Because my hair was brown it required far more maintenance than someone who was a blonde.  I used to do it myself because I could not afford the cost of the upkeep at a salon. It would have cost somewhere between $700 - $1000 a year and to me I've got better things to spend my money on than hair color.  Finally I just said no more.  I was 66 at the time; 71 now.  I have never been one to be vain nor do I care about anyone's opinion as to why don't I color my hair.  If they don't like me because I chose to keep it white, then their loss.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 75

My 11 year old granddaughter just told me on Sunday that I could not let my hair go gray until I was at least 70.  I am almost 65, and am battling the grey every few weeks.  I'm contemplating doing highlights to let the gray emerge gradually. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 75

I started greying in my early 30's, about 31. As I  was a divorced mother, raising a teenager by myself (I married much too young and my ex was not responsible during or after our marriage), worked full-time in a high stress area on Wall Street, and was getting my Bachelor's degree at night, I wasn't surprised by the grey hairs. 

I also happen to be one of the rare women who hates going to the beauty parlor! I wore a simple hairdo that required a trim every six months. I was always the 1st appointment of the day, and only when I had a job related function, did I get my hair fixed fancy. 

As a young girl, watching my mother go every 2 weeks for a wash & set, and on the 6th week for hairdye, condition, trim, etc. , I made up my mind to let my hair grey and leave it alone. I kept that promise to myself! I will be 70 in 2 weeks and I've never tinted or dyed my hair. Maybe if my face skin had wrinkled a lot, I would have dyed to try and fool people about my age, but I'm relatively unwrinkled, no crows feet, forehead or mouth wrinkles. My hair is light grey in the front and mixed grey and dark brown in the back. I like it! 

Funny thing, my daughter dyes her hair! Partially due to her career performing in public, all of her personal and business friends do so, even the men! Different strokes for different folks, I always say! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 75

I started getiing grey hair in my early fifties.  I asked my kids if they thought I should dye it because I've always had very long and blonde hair and they thought I should wait to see what it would look like.  It has gotten darker in color and the grey sure stands out now.  My oldest grandson asked what it was and I told him "This is Gods version of natural highlights!"  He thought it was funny and I believe it is awesome!  So far I like it!  Besides why pay the price of getting it dyed (over and over) when I know the greys will just keep coming back.  Live like you mean it!  Live life naturally, the way God intended! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embarace it or dye it?

Message 59 of 75
I am with you the front of my hair is Silver and the back is dark brown and I have been asked if I dye it, no I do not.. I have been told that people dye their hair to look like mine.. I can't believe at 81 that the back is still dark..
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 75

I started graying early, in my twenties.  I tried all sorts of ways to cover it as I did not want to be gray.  I was all over the color spectrum for years and it became more and more difficult to cover for long the increasing whiteness.  When I was 49 I experienced that terrible once in a lifetime headache, an aneurysm.  Surgery to repair it and save my life meant shaving my head.  I decided as I was rolled in to surgery that whatever grew back on my head is what color I would be.  As my

hair grew back friends either loved it ot hated it.  I liked it!  It was easy, it softened my features.  I am nearing 76 now and am almost fully white.  I get many compliments.

Kudos
Views