Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 1 of 86

My hair started turning gray in my 40s. It is an expensive proposition to have it done professionally. With it requiring a full coloring every other month and a touch up every 4 weeks it would have cost me a minimum of $780 a year.  So I did the math $780 x 10 years = $7,800; $780 x 20 years = $15,600, $780 x 30 years = $23,400.  THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY.  So I ended up doing it myself. I hated the time it took, I hated the mess and hated the fact that many women believe that if you don't color your hair that you don't care about yourself which is a bunch of garbage.  I took that $23,400 that I saved and lived on it for two years so that I could hold off taking my SS at age 70.  What makes me wonder is how any woman who has not aged well and there are plenty that color their hair the darkest blacks and browns they can find think that it makes them look attractive. But I say if you want to color your hair thats your choice. Be my guest . . . color away.  I don't need my hair colored to feel GOOD about myself.  I like who I am and if people want to think less of me because of it then that's their problem.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 86
I know a lot of women in their 40s with gray hair, too. At 68, I have a few gray hairs, but not much to fuss over. I just believe it's all in our genes when we get gray hair.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 86
I've been coloring my hair since age fourteen. I still color my hair at 68. It has nothing to do with the white or gray hair that may come in...I still only have a few white hairs in my head so don't color it that often and I don't color it to get rid of the white hair. I'm a woman and I do what I want to myself from head to toe all my life; no need quitting now. 😄
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 86

Months away from 65 and hardly any grey, I would embrace it.  My daughter has way more grey than me in her 40s.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 86

I love natural, my hair is gray turning to white and I have had several people tell me they wish they had my hair. But I am blessed, because I have a lot of color in my face, so I do not need to wear makeup or color my hair. I wear my hair short because I am outdoors a lot and I like to shampoo and go with little fuss.

On the other hand, my former business partner has no color in her face and at times has a almost gray tint. She colors her hair strawberry blond and it has always looked natural along with her makeup which is very becoming. For an almost 85 year old she rocks her looks! Believe me the first time I saw her "without her face" as she calls it, I was shocked. Since I never wore makeup I was surprised it could transform a person so much.....hope my face did not show how surprised I was at the change....lol.

So there are two sides to the coin, those of us that like the natural look and those that want help to look their best. As long as we feel good about the way we look there is no right or wrong. Just keep rocking on!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 86

The year I turned 50, I decided to see what I would look like if I let my curly hair turn grey. Would it grow out evenly or would it grey in clumps or patches? (It was very short at the time, about 3/4 inches all over my head, so it took about 6 months to grow out.) I stopped blowing it dry and let it be and it turned out to be my wisest beauty decision. It's a very light shade of salt/pepper, pretty, easy to care for and I love it! I'm 70 now and have my share of wrinkles from a life well lived and my hair compliments my face.

Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 86

A few years ago when I saw a young woman in a spa with dyed gray hair, I thought, that's it, I am going for it. I stopped coloring my hair and I love it. It's wonderful not to have to scurry to dye my hair every 3 weeks when the grey grows in at my part. And the multi colors are actually kind of beautiful. Some people think that gray hair ages a woman, but let's face it, all they have to do is look at my face and they will see that I'm old! (I'm only 58 but it definitely shows). Now my hair looks more in line with my face. I still act young (I THINK) and my body is in good shape, so I feel that I am a good role model for my piano students in how to age gracefully. I wear light makeup that enhances and protects my skin, but doesn't try to cover up wrinkles. I feel great about my gray hair and hope that other women will give it a try because it feels so great! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 86

woow,i have the same trouble

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 86

⊱⊱⊱ I have always been and will always be, entirely
au naturel
 Smiley Happy

When I was young, I had pretty blonde∙highlights
that were a gift from *Mother Nature* 
I now have pretty silver∙highlights that are a gift from *Father Time*

♥ Shelties are not my whole life ∽ but they make my life whole ♥
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 86

Dye it until the dye doesn't take the dye anymore then go gray with pride

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE