Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! THIS ADDITION IS CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! THIS ADDITION IS CLOSED

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to March 2019. We had an overnight snow to ring in the morning. Going to be a busy day tomorrow. Remember that January-Feburary is CLOSED now.

68403-Goodbye-February.jpg299033-Welcome-March-Welcome-Spring.gifFB_IMG_1550937246914.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

41* and sunny, the driveway plowed is appearing, the ice is melting. And that is the only dirt to be found or seen.But the snowbanks on Street are slowly diminishing barely 7’ tall.

The mountains where I live are to get snow/rain/? In the next couple of days.

Need to start moving soon.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch this Wednesday morning! We continue to have temps in the lower 50's and no rainfall. The snow on the South side of the house is gone. But there is a fair aamount on the North side. The iris are coming up and other things should be coming up. 

FB_IMG_1550937246914.jpgFB_IMG_1548612391447.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

32 and sunny, saw my first sign of an early frost heave season

98F5ACE4-C41D-4924-991F-2D56227C1C58.jpeg

For those in more temperate regions some roads are closed to heavy traffic to allow roads to solidify from heat of day and cold of nights.

And on that note need to prepare to make calls.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone.

46 and sunny here right now.

I've got the pool cover almost dry, but that will only last until the next rain. I have to keep on top of it since I'm still waiting for what comes next in this pool demolishing project. The fence company emailed me an estimate and I guess the next thing after the fences are taken down will be the pool guy scheduling the draining of the pool, or they can probably drain it before the fences come down... Not sure.

Enjoy the day! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

35* and sunny.

@catwoman500 

The order of fence removal depends upon your liability insurance or the demolishing crews.

I gave up trying to figure out insurance companies, after my camp days.

Needed to cover old tar paper, which meant siding BEFORE buying camp, in order to get insurance and liability on a camp in midst of nowhere but, on a lake.

Only thing I learned from that experience was never buy a camp in winter. Residing at -30* is no fun, when it’s snowing.

Signed and bought camp mid-blizzard, after siding was completed, on the rear of building, and shed roof was put over propane tanks.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ,

Re: Liability...Yeah, that's why I'm pretty sure the draining has to occur first as we have to have the fence up "insurance wise."

Another guy stopped by today to look at the pool again...he's the contractor. At least things are moving along.

Camp in winter...not for me. Cat LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Up here the fence would need to stay installed to prevent wayward ???? from falling into empty pools, even if drained. Liability protects miscreants until the hole is filled, then no liability requirement.

Same in most cities, towns -reason for all of that fencing surrounding construction and demolition areas, gotta protect everyone from lawsuits.

Despite buying mid -blizzard we camped at the camp on same day🤣, we bought it. Trust me the safe woodstoves were cranking that night for warmth, and sleeping bags were used by all including my dog Celis.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

I totally agree that the fence stays with all gates secured until everything is done. I would suggest that you have the insurance company come and approve the plan and the order it is donei

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Our Front Porchers!

After the rains here yesterday, it is beautifully sunny and the skies are blue and the birds are chirping at my bird feeders out back. And I am enjoying just being able to relax with my feet up and watching the birds fly in and out.

Yesterday got together with a friend of mine that I haven't seen in quite some time and we went to the movies and saw Captain Marvel. There was a lot of action and a lot of noise and I didn't fall asleep once. That's a record for me. After the movies, we stopped by her house and watched episode after episode of Doctor Pimple Popper. When her husband came home, he sat down and watched with us. I think I have enlisted to more addicted pimple popper viewers. Smile. But all in all we had a lotta fun.

Happy Saint Patty's Day!

Happy Saint Patty's Day!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on Sunday St. Patrick's day 2019!  

Link for story:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/03/15/st-patricks-day-2019-where-get-green-food-beer-and-d...

93718678-happy-st-patricks-day-shamrock-clover-background.jpgFB_IMG_1549322492607.jpg93745839-st-patricks-day-leprechaun-sliding-on-rainbow.jpgChicago river is flowing greenChicago river is flowing greenGreen beer will be flowingGreen beer will be flowing

Trusted Social Butterfly

Top o' the mornin', Porch peeps!

Here's my favorite Irish saying and then another one I like also:

May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty!

May your heart be light and happy, may your smile be big and wide, and may your pockets always have a coin or two inside!

Sláinte! "Mc N." Cat Wink

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch this Friday morning! The word here is FLOODING in the Southern part of the state. Many of the rivers have overflowed their banks due to rain, temps in the 50's and low 60's and the deep frost here. 

Do any of you do anything special for Saint Patrick's day? We are having company but not sure what we are doing yet. 

FB_IMG_1552661984049.jpgFB_IMG_1540150537147.jpgshamrocks-4020029_1280.jpgirish-152049_1280.png

Honored Social Butterfly

49* and sunny in Maine, starting to see the beginning of mud seaso, at least in my driveway.

The lawns are still covered with around 4-5 feet of snow🤣 just like the windows the snow cover is receding.

As for St. Paddy’s day when I lived in Boston, shhh don’t tell anyone I’m one of them, a Flatlander.

It was a day for parades, drinking, eating and wearing of the green. Now, here can’t seem to find as many Irish. Think their outnumbered by French and Scots.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Still reeling from the 74 degrees today! So welcome. Cat Very Happy I opened windows and enjoyed the fresh air. It will be short lived as the weekend will be in the 40's. I guess I should start closing the windows now to hold in the warmth.

Hoping the flooding won't affect you too much @DaveMcK !

As for St. Pat's Day... I will wear my green and blast my Irish music from my car as I did today. I may get some corned beef for a sandwich on Sunday! Definitely will have some Bailey's, an Irish coffee, or a Harp ale. Or all of them! HA! Sláinte!

Erin go Bragh! Cat LOL N (McK)

Recognized Social Butterfly

@catwoman500   Sounds like you are in a good mood!  We have gone back to the fifties also from the high sixties.  Feels good, I so dread summer.

Kudos
Views

Greetings All,

I will be making about 40lbs of corn beef. There's is always shrinkage, feeding about 12 veterans. We are making the complete boiled dinner, with soda bread. The Windows are going to be open to air out my house. I do a themed dinner every year. I am a themed type of person, for them. 

Catwoman 500, are you getting all of this wind today? 

Frozenoem, glad temperatures are warming up . 

Dave, love love your pictures.

LaDolceVita, glad you got to see the homestead.

Lydia, please feel better soon. I really enjoy all your beautiful pictures.    Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

23* and sunny but, windy.

@n566192l 

Looking at Monday earliest, I seem to be slightly racked at moment.

@catwoman500 

Irish coffee for all, glasses don’t matter Mugs, steins Or Cups all that is required is good Irish whiskey, coffee, whipping cream and sugar for the rim. Not that I would ever indulge or even know how to make it.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Ha! You're almost there, although I never heard of the sugar on the rim!

1 ½ oz of Jameson’s

5-7 oz hot coffee or 2 shots espresso

1-2 tsp brown sugar

whipped cream

Warm the glass

add sugar

pour in whisky

add coffee

stir

whipped cream on top...and enjoy!

Cat Wink N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

It was a South Boston or Chicago thing, to frost the rim with sugar.

You get your sugar and cream with each sip/gulp. No need to rinse pesky spoons or other implements.

Just drink and enjoy.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All!

Another sunny day!

Only 46, feeling like 40 because of the yes, @n566192l, WINDS! Not as bad as that time on February 25 when I nearly landed in Oz.

We had a heavy thunderstorm last night, but it didn't last too long.

I'm almost glad it is cooler today since I am wearing my late husband's huge, HEAVY wool sweater that we got in Ireland many years ago. Cat LOL

Just retrieved my Bailey's glass and an Irish coffee mug from the china cupboard. I swear I had a set of Irish coffee glasses, but darned if I can't find them. I remember looking for them last year, too. Guess I'll just have to forfeit the authentic-ness of Irish coffee in a glass. It will taste just as good. Cat Wink

Sláinte! N.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Front Porchers!

I hope everyone is doing okay today.  @LaDolceVita, I appreciate your concern about my tiredness. I'm taking a few days off from work this week in order to try and catch up on some much needed rest. And  @n566192l  just know that I am already taking a ton of vitamins and minerals and vitamin D, B12, and magnesium are chief among them.  But thanks for the tip.  

I saw on the news how several areas around the country were hit by some heavy storms yesterday.  I hope all Our Front Porchers are okay and safe.  And I'm saying a prayer for those folks who were affected.  Here?  It's 42 degrees, overcast, and raining.  But I'll take rain over snow any day!   Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive and keep my spirits up.  And even though it's been a l-o-n-g haul, we have...

Woo!  Hoo!  Happy, happy!  Joy, joy Everybody!!!

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch today! We will see 60* at noon today. All of our snow has melted off our roof overnight. For all of our mathematical  minds today is HAPPY PI DAY! I prefer Happy Pie Day myself! 

Hoping everyone has a great day today. 

FB_IMG_1552579319427.jpgFB_IMG_1551995846131.jpgFB_IMG_1552146025577.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch today! We are looking at rain here off and on for a while. We are going to brake 50* today and tomorrow for the first time this year.  How's the new time working for everyone ???? Enjoy your Wednesday 😊🌞

Looks like a great day for a hot breakfast!

FB_IMG_1552484256779.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Moanin' All,

It's a sunny 30 degrees here right now.  It is dry--no rain and no snow and the sump pump has been quiet for two whole days.  So I'm all good with the forecast today and for the week ahead.  

I sure hope this morning finds everyone on Our Front Porch up and Adam and at their best cuz I am draggin' with a capital "D!"  Surely, I wouldn't wish this slumpiness on my worst enemy.

You know how sometimes you just don't feel like getting up.  So you hit the snooze button and just lay there for a few more precious moments while your head's still spinnin' and you're thinkin' about nothin' in particular.  That's me this morning.  Tired. Pooped.  Wasted.  No reason for this drug-out feeling except I guess I'm just getting old or should I say "older?" 

Image result for planking

Whatever the reason.... Sparky here shows just how I feel right about now.  And my "snap, crackle, pop" has gone "poop!"  So I think I'll hit the snoozer one more time, crawl back in bed, and catch a few more winks.

Maybe the next time I wake up, I'll feel a little more like tackling my in-house projects for the day.  And if not, oh well, there's always tomorrow.  

Image result for happy monday everyone

Ciao,

Lydia

@LydiaN586309   Hopefully you are not coming down with anything.  

We are enjoying spring weather here along with the longer days.  Trip to homestead tomorrow with the chainsaw and only 1 dog.   Have to stop at the courthouse and the dog will have to stay in the crate while we do. The weather is cool so he should be comfy.  Unable to trust loose dogs in the car w/o supervision.  Learned that the hard way whewn ages ago I left a young adult dog in the car for a short while.  Came back and had no seat belts. None.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

30* and sunny for a change. For once no shoveling And Chelli was capable of looking over her snowbaBk in yard.

Snowpack is melting slightly!

@LaDolceVita Worst damage to a vehicle we ever had by 🐕, was the back seat of Dodge Raider to Rottweiler/Lab mix in search of Munchkin.

He failed to find it, and later that month became a 2-year old, with no issues ever again. Except for a penchant for draining my DD Great Ones If it was left unattended with him. He’d pickup by rim and drain with cover on.

Froze

Kudos
Views

@Frozenoem   Please clarify what area DD Great Ones? 

Nice trip to the homestead yesterday. Dog was well behaved.  Stood in the sun visiting with neighbor and I was hot in my sweat shirt!  Good reminder of what is to come.  Lots of gullies from very heavy recent rains.  @n566192l  I was tuckered out after walking quite a bit yesterday and will add magnesium to my regimen.  Seems I am  extremely tired every day at the end of the day and my feet ache, one more than the other.  Not sure if it is lifestyle which realy cannot be helped or age catching up wit me. Robot Sad

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

24 oz of Dunkin Donuts caffeinated beverage=DDGreat Ones.

42* and sunny, it’s warm for now but, feel cool down coming. Let me see driveway for a week, I’ll be happy.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon, Porch Peeps,

It's 54 and partly sunny right now in suburban Philly. We may reach 60!

I've decided to have my pool demolished and plans are underway to get started with that major project. This morning a fence comapny called me to say my pool company wanted him to take a look at the fences that have to be removed and replaced, so he will be stopping by later.

Went to the post office and then on to gas up the car. Not much exciting happening around here.

Tomorrow I will meet a friend for coffee. She and her husband have just returned from a trip to the Southwest. I was keeping my fingers crossed that they were not booked on a 737 MAX 8 when they returned Tuesday night right before those planes were grounded. They did have some trouble getting home...security issues at the airport out west, lost suitcase, and the rental company at the airport in Baltimore couldn't find their car, but my friend's husband walked around the lot and found it himself. They finally reached their house at 4:30 AM yesterday. Not a great way to end a nice trip. Cat Tongue

Enjoy the day! N.

Frozenoem,

Glad the snow is starting to melt 😊. Wow! 30* and sunny. Great.

We are at 46* and sunny. Just had several Dr appointments today. Hope everyone is enjoying the extra day light 😊. I am.

Stay safe.  Nancy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP