Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL SEPTEMBER 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL SEPTEMBER 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 1st day of September 2024.
Happy Birthday to all of our September Birthday members.

1000009941.jpg

1000007802.jpg

1000012030.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Hey everyone.  Really nothing new to report other than to reiterate the heat and humidity. Yes, @Frozenoem , climate change is here and it's real. ๐Ÿฅต

Some of you might remember the turtle ๐Ÿข who showed up on my deck last year to imbibe in the furkids' leftovers.  I posted a pic or two.  Trudy is back!  I had marked her shell with a spot of fingernail polish and it is her!  Otherwise, the chickens next door get the leftovers.  And in return, I get fresh eggs.๐Ÿฅš  Can't beat that.  I had offered to pay for them, but the neighbor said just throw the chickens some leftovers now and again, and I asked even cat food?  Oh yeah, they love pecking at those seafood shreds and assorted crunchies mix. ๐Ÿ”

And our resident raccoon showed up with a baby in tow recently.  My neighbor/landlord leaves crunchies on their deck, so this goldish-colored raccoon has become a regular visitor.  I've seen Giorgio bop her on her head, but no harm done.  They tolerate each other, sometimes ignoring each other.

So there's my update -- wild critters.  Thinking recently it's a nice time to become a hermit oblivious to the world, but I keep forgetting to turn off those darn news alerts on my phone.

Doctors?  Don't even want to go there, but wishing everyone the best for the travails they are going through.  It sucks. 

Speaking of wild critters, I'm going back to watching the bear cams at Katmai๐Ÿป๐Ÿฆˆ, my current guilty pleasure and diversion.  (Don't ask me how I became one of 'those bear peeps'. ๐Ÿ˜)

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MsStretch

Always glad to see your post here....& (in spite of having to put up with the heat and humidity) hope youโ€™re doing well!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

BTW: Yertle the Turtle....asked me, to ask you,....if ya think that YOUR Turtle..... ๐ŸขTrudy ๐Ÿข ...might be,...ya know...โ€˜availableโ€™...like for dating? Hahahaaa

Yertle the TurtleYertle the Turtle

Anyway...

And to you...& all my other BEST PORCH PEEPS: Dave @DaveMcK @LaDolceVita @catwoman500 Froze! @Frozenoem & Lee @LeeS4949 (& others of course) Please have a wonderful week too!

Stay safe....&...KEEP COOL...& HYDRATED!

Take care all yโ€™all friends!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŒ„๐Ÿฆ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ โ›ต  ๐ŸŽจ ๐Ÿ›ถ

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...I do remember your turtle! ๐Ÿข

Other than the groundhog that lives under my shed, not much wildlife news. Too hot for the critters? Yesterday morning a deer ran across the street...young doe by the looks of her. Last month I heard foxes SCREAMING in my back yard, but that was only a one-night thing.

Goldfinches are feasting on my coneflowers, and something is eating one of my plants. I have 6 pots of the same plant, but whatever critter it is seems to like only the one pot.

More storms coming but looks like relief from the heat will get to us by Friday!

@Therapist4u ...Thanks for the belated birthday wishes. ๐Ÿ˜บ

Yep...First thing I thought of when I heard Ingrid sing was Roseanne! UGH!

Hang in there, All!

Honored Social Butterfly

Yesterday evening was another very stormy evening here in Southern Wisconsin.

Heavy rain and winds as high as 80 mph which are strong enough to take the rooftop of a house.

We got the rain with 60 mph winds.

Today we will not see any rains with the possibility sunny skies this afternoon.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi there Porch Peeps!

We are now heading into our third heat wave this summer. It has been brutal as Iโ€™m sure a lot of you know. Weโ€™re not talking 3-day heat waves, but endless days and weeks with maybe a one- or two-day break to the high 80โ€™s and if we were lucky a break in the humidity. I donโ€™t really remember a summer in a long while with this non-stop โ€œwet blanket hitting me in the faceโ€ weather as I open the door. Havenโ€™t even been able to enjoy my porch that much. Dread getting my electric bill this week.

At this moment it is 99, feels like 106. UGH!

Sounds like we are not only being hit with ugly weather, but ugly health stuff. Sorry to hear about everyoneโ€™s troubles.

@Therapist4u โ€ฆhave had gel shots. Meh ๐Ÿ˜ถ

@Frozenoem ... had stair glides put in to upstairs and basement. Canโ€™t do the steps.

PT had me doing several step exercises, and I still do them at home begrudgingly.

@DaveMcK ... On the 4th, went out to eat and went back to one friendโ€™s house to play games.

@LaDolceVita โ€ฆI also hate going to the doctor!

Did the birthday thing last month with a bunch of lunches with different friend groups. Just had the last one this past week.

One cute thingโ€ฆas I was talking to one of the deli ladies at my Acme, she had asked me which birthday it was. When I said, โ€œ76,โ€ this young thing at the other end of the deli whipped around, miss-hearing the 76 and she said, โ€œ96????โ€ I laughed and said, I may feel like 96, but itโ€™s just 76.โ€

And let me tell you, this weather can make anyone feel decades older!

Please, all of you take care and stay hydrated!

P.S. Anyone catch the fiasco rendition of the National Anthem at the All-Star Home Run Derby? OMG!

Gold Conversationalist

Hi, @catwoman500

....glad to see your post here...& hope youโ€™re doing well!

Last things 1st....LOL!

RE: The โ€œfiascoโ€..I just had to research this & when I saw a few headlines... like โ€œIngrid Andress says she was drunk, going to rehab....โ€  I was curious to hear how bad it was...then I thought back to another infamous horrible butchering... courtesy of ...โ€Roseanne Barr's off-key, crotch-grabbin..โ€ etc. ....& that was enough...not to ever want to hear that.... or anything else...so insulting to All of us..& to our ears....HAHAHAA

RE: ugly weather...YA ...SEEMS itโ€™s contagious... for all us Porch Peeps!

RE: your birthday...sorry Iโ€™m late in wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. CAT!

But I had an excuse.....

OIPOIP.jpg

LOL!

Anyway...KEEP COOL...& HYDRATED!

As always, ... Stay safe....&...Take care!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐Ÿšค  ๐ŸŒ„๐Ÿฆ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ โ›ต  ๐ŸŽจ ๐Ÿ›ถ

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u   I am laughing at your question about bravery in going to doctor.  I am a chicken and that is why I hate going to the doctor.  I guess no-one really likes going.  I feel like a whiner, knowing you and Froze have been through and still going through the mill.   I did make an appointment to begin the annual testing procedure week after next.  I feel like I would like to have calcium score because I have been on lowish carb high fat diet for 15 years.  Cholesterol tends to go up with age and bone density goes down.  So will have bone scan  also.  

Where are the ladies on the Porch?  @MsStretch,@iLuvAutumn  and Catwoman, please report in.

Honored Social Butterfly

Geez itโ€™s hotter than that dbl. hockey sticks place, or at least in my little backwater.>90* and dew points, honestly can say it felt like Phoenix for a week.Only major difference rain & thunderstorms daily.

Still havenโ€™t put A/C on but, that will change soon with more temps in the 90โ€s.August temps in July in the mountains of Maine (yeesh).

Fourth of July was pleasant with rain and boomers.

No kids blowing digits off or animals being spooked.

Spent the holiday at Old camp and returned yesterday?

Have to avoid sunshine for 2 weeks, new script.Note-

to weather gods stay in 90โ€™s no problem.When weatherstripping on garage doors melt to concrete, it could be a sign.

Stay hydrated yโ€™all

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

HI Froze! @Frozenoem

Howz ya health?...other than havin to stay outta da light?

Just the last week....Iโ€™ve seen my Pain management Doc, my PCP, & 3 new Orthopedic Surgeons....gotta shot in my hand, ...hip, ...back ...& knees....

So many holes.....I leak when I drink water.... LOL!

This pic is my knee gel shots waitin for me!

my knee gel shots waitin for me!my knee gel shots waitin for me!

RE: โ€œStill havenโ€™t put A/C onโ€...well...weโ€™ve not only had ours on most days since early May, but while I, & many in my area, have decent Home A/C systems...we also need window A/Cs for 2nd floors.... that retain heat... even at night! Letโ€™s compare our electric bills side by side...HAHAAA

RE: โ€œGeez itโ€™s hotter than that dbl. hockey sticks place, or at least in my little backwater.>90*โ€

Well....in Middle America: expected continued dangerous heat and humidity. Was over 110 heat index today....& lookie here at da temps a comin:

expected continued dangerous heat and humidity..JPG

Unfortunately, I have to be outside for long periods of time, usually no shade ....& no place to sit...while waiting for my Doc rides!! Suxbigtimebutwhatyagonnado?

Anyway...Stay safe....&...Take care my friend!

Please have a wonderful week/end too!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐Ÿšค  ๐ŸŒ„๐Ÿฆ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ โ›ต  ๐ŸŽจ ๐Ÿ›ถ

Honored Social Butterfly

Allan, the only things that hurt for moment are my left & right 1.finger salutes (swollen up) and my wrist and lower back.

Electric holding at $32 beats all heck outta $300, winter surprise. Furnace is off, if I want hot water kill-away can tell me how deadly that is. I can wait 10 minutes if I need hot water.

My cell has overheated 10 times today, ignoring calls to charge.๐Ÿ˜ŽWe both have been enjoying sitting on ice packs.๐Ÿ‘

Presently 68*, my doors are open. Must be getting old, starting to check out heat indexes , and air quaity

where Iโ€™ve considered moving. Except for Winters, Maine still has other places beat.

Midwest for you lotsa luck.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

HI Froze! @Frozenoem

You win on elec bill comaparison...hahaaa!๐Ÿ˜‰

Howz ya health...other than left & right 1.finger salutes (swollen up) ๐Ÿค• and wrist and lower back....are they any better now? ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘

Are you standing .....& getting around OK?๐Ÿ‘ฃ

Me...I have the last of the 3 knee gel shots Wed...have pain mgnt every month...been waiting 3 weeks for a PA on a med...& it shouldnโ€™t take more than a few days....esp after I just saw my PCP... who wrote them! Also a few meds have been in short supply...or they donโ€™t have enough when I come to pick them up....sux making more trips just for the same meds....& I have to set up rides for each one...that takes a lot of time! Also as said, I must be outside for long periods of time, 110 heat index...olda folks not posta be outside for that long....usually no shade ....& no place to sit...while waiting for my Doc & Pharmacy rides!! ๐Ÿ˜’Suxbigtimebutwhatyagonnado?

Did get my new PT eval.....but I donโ€™t have time to make 2-3 extra round-trips each week...so I have to decline for now! moreSux!โ˜น๏ธ

Also waiting for an epidural in my back within the next 2 weeks....it hurts to get those shots...but it is worth it for later pain >>>>โ€™lesseningโ€™ (as you know ...it doesnโ€™t relive all the pain...just a bit less hurtin)

Pain Pain go away...& DONโ€™T come back another day...for my Bud Froze & me....LOL!!๐Ÿ˜Š

Anyway...Stay safe....&...Take care my friend!

Please have a wonderful week too!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŒ„๐Ÿฆ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ โ›ต  ๐ŸŽจ ๐Ÿ›ถ

Honored Social Butterfly

Itโ€™s difficult to install an AC when your busy saluting the window frame, just canโ€™t get the correct angle.I blame finger saluting to. To many crazed city drivers with perhaps a little time in Sicily a month in a rental: 

TIME for a nice can of concentrated soup With yummy magnesium until itโ€™s replaced with something similar. Spent last 3 days reading, Drugs.com app of all medโ€™s with names..

When I had to stand outside for hours, or take very walks through the forest in Summer, used to carry a 2-3 Liter insulated Camelback stuffed with water and ice cubes, kept water cool vs tasting like something else.

Pain says Iโ€™m doing great, no docs until August, No docโ€™s, no sunshine otherwise Iโ€™ll look like raw hamburger. Which is great cause I have no desire to cook anything right now.

Had my first bowl of cereal with water, remembering to stay hydrated.

Time to try more food, pills are talking back.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

HI Froze! @Frozenoem

Thanks for the reply & info....

enjoyin the camaraderie....

gotta go 4 now...

Weโ€™ll talk again soon... Take care

~Allen

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello folks!  We had a super hot 4th here, very humid.   Pretty quiet, just mowing and other usual chores.  Will be making a day trip  next week to buy peaches at a peach farm offering tons and tons of varieties.  Used to go there with the senior center back when we lived in the exurbs.  

Hope everyone is OK and busy having a good time.   I will have to think about annual doctor visits to eye doctor, primary care and the usual tests they want.   Will have to be brave and have a calcium score done.  โ˜น๏ธ

Honored Social Butterfly

Bone density and me, reason for the โ€œMagnesiumโ€ and more breakage of parts and pieces. I just wish I wouldnโ€™t start rumbling immediately after taking it.

Presently 90* outside and 70* inside , havenโ€™t done anything to house and A/C still isnโ€™t in. But, temperature

Is comfortable for now.

Time to refill my water, and find something cold to eat, no desire to eat hot today, not even Hot sauce worked last night.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi, @LaDolceVita....hope you, the PLANTS...& furbabes... & the FAM.... are all doing well!๐Ÿ™‚

Iโ€™m glad I had to research what >>> a calcium score was about... (I had a limited & incorrect impression based on what I know about calcium)....as basically itโ€™s a CT scan that looks at how much calcium is in your coronary arteries. A test can assist healthcare providers in making treatment decisions for people with borderline risk of heart disease....

When researching for medical advice & references... the 2 sites I most often go to are the:

Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/heart-scan/about/pac-20384686

And the Cleveland Clinic:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/16824-calcium-score-screening-heart-scan

Because they are proven & trusted Clinics....& theyโ€™re so well known, that they are also treating people from around the world!

So ....may I ask...What indicators have caused some trepidation & anxiety...that have led you to need to โ€œbe braveโ€ about? i.e. Past tests,.. Family history... etc.? (BTW: if anything needs to be confidential only.... or not want to be posted to here...as in test results, or for privacy concerns or anything else....you can always PM,...or if neither is OK on this subject....thatโ€™s just fine....& no explanations ever needed)

Regardless...

Will be concerned for you!

That said.....

sounds like yโ€™all had a nice 4th of July! ๐ŸŽ†

Now itโ€™s time to just get stuff done...

& then relax & CHILL!!!

So for next week ....yโ€™all be heading to...

the ๐Ÿ‘ peach farm!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜„

BTW: Bring some back for the rest of us! LOL!!๐Ÿ˜Š

Anyway....

As always, ...Stay safe....&...Take care!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐ŸŒฉ๐ŸŒฆ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ  โ›ต  ๐ŸŒž

Honored Social Butterfly

Do you have any 4th of July plans? 

We will be having a  lunch at the Retirement center dining room with a choice a Hamburger or Bratwurst 

along with a choice of potato salad and baked beans.

Hoping you have a great day.

1000011533.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

My only plan of the day is to accompany my air driven framing hammer and compressor to my old camp, then remain for dinner with new owners.

Thatโ€™s the whole plan.

Enjoy your 4th

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

HI Froze! @Frozenoem....

HAPPY 4th of July!!๐ŸŽ† ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐ŸŽ‡

And to my other BEST PORCH PEEPS: Dave @DaveMcK @LaDolceVita @MsStretch @catwoman500 Nicole @iLuvAutumn & Lee @LeeS4949 and (& others of course)

HAPPY 4th of July PORCH PEEPS!!HAPPY 4th of July PORCH PEEPS!!

Take care all yโ€™all friends!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ ๐Ÿšค  ๐ŸŒ„๐Ÿฆ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ โ›ต  ๐ŸŽจ ๐Ÿ›ถ

Honored Social Butterfly

1 comment [Wednesday 6/26/24 10:10pm ET]

Feel better Allen @Therapist4u  ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Nicole @iLuvAutumn

Thanks

1.jpg

Take care!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐ŸŒฉ๐ŸŒฆ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ  โ›ต  ๐ŸŒž

Honored Social Butterfly

How is the weather in your neighborhood? We have had one major rain storm after another

over the last few months. 

We had 7 tornadoes this last weekend with major damage.

These types of storms are becoming the nor here in the Midwest.

1000011208.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

The weather has been weird, even by Western Maine standards. August type temperatures in June, upper 80โ€™s to 90โ€™s. Closest tornado to me was in NH border town, thunderstorms rolling thru my town are a weekly occurrence.Climate change is reality and here!

At least Iโ€™m finally getting relief every other night when it drops down to 40 to 50*, looks like all that insulation is finally keeping me cool in summer. Havenโ€™t had to play with A/C yet๐Ÿ‘

@Therapist4u 

Discovered that if I do PT exercises at night, I can actually sleep versus listening to podcasts all night, without grabbing the pain killers.

Actually fell asleep before Louis Black ended his show and awoke to dreams of my Dutch Shepherd, that could have been the sleeping bag I was under.๐Ÿค”

Time to renew RXโ€™es and and make coffee 207 dark roast is calling.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey Froze! @Frozenoem

RE: PT & health issues...your making progress & itโ€™s encouraging!

For me, today I finally got started on the 1st  series of the gel shots for my knees, that Iโ€™ve been waiting on for 4 months....& after the last round... it will take many months before it is slightly easier to walk & climb stairs & do chores, etc...but more improvements will come a while after the 2nd series of shots starting in 6 months, which means it really will be almost a year before thereโ€™ll be more notable improvements! But itโ€™s worth it to delay surgery as long as possible!

RE: Louis Black..Unapologetically bold, piercing & spot-on takes of our society....very funny...just saw an older HBO special...he had the audience in stitches the entire time....he knows the timing of the rages...mixed in with quieter moments...& then he ramps up & unleashes a diatribe that no one else does, to me the closet >>>>was the late comedic genius Carlin!

RE: make coffee 207 dark roast is calling.

I just splurged >>>>for a change LOL!!...& bought Don Franciscoโ€™s 100% Arabica Vanilla Nut...great flavor & medium roast strength!  โ€œAn indulgent coffee with nutty aroma and hints of vanilla flavor. a much-loved offering...Using pristine, 100% Arabica beans, each of these coffees are custom roasted in small batches...โ€

ANYWAY...Iโ€™ll add more later...

As always, ...Stay safe....&...Take care Buddy!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐ŸŒฉ ๐ŸŒฆ ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ  โ›ต  ๐ŸŒž

Honored Social Butterfly

1 comment [Monday 6/24/24 2:15pm ET]

BIG BRO @Frozenoem , lol - your post about your 14 steps made me run to my window of my Studio Apartment to COUNT mine.

8 steps from parking lot to my front door.

Hmmm, I am guessing you have a 2nd floor like my daughter in Florida. She owns a Townhouse there.

Have you thought of moving or renovating [lift] or moving bedroom to ground floor?

Your VERY NOSEY little sis,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvAutumn 

Not quite like anything in FL house was built in 1870 or 1880, 3 story or 4 if you count stairs to basement.

Not planning to move my California king ever to first floor unless itโ€™s out the door to new house or apt.Took 3 people and a 6-pack to get it upstairs in one door and out the other to get all parts and pieces up the stairs the first time.

Correction - Iโ€™ve seen similar in FL but they were really old school cracker style, and they were few and far between. Like in the keys and built by sea captains.Kinda reminds me of Hemingway house.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

(3 comments) COMPUTER FORUM [Friday 6/21/24 6:47pm ET]

BIG BRO @Frozenoem , thank you SO MUCH for your feedback on what device(s) and browser(s) you use for the AARP Online Community!!!

Really means ALOT to me.

Little Sis,

Nicole  ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Porchers.   Just checking in.  No news other than the heat.  @DaveMcK   Hope you will have a great family vacation.  No vacation for me but living in the mountains every day is like a vacation day.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Heat and dew points are a real pita but, at least I have my mountains (less heat). Have been saving me temps in the 60โ€™s make night time bearable.

Did my 200 repetitions for my lower back bearable, only screamed for a bit. Wonโ€™t see drโ€™s until August, just need to recall which Doc and for what issue๐Ÿคฌ

@Therapist4u 

Pain is such a pita right.Canโ€™t even recommend what Iโ€™m on closed group study and donโ€™t even know what it is., or is it the combination of medโ€™s.

Best I can say is PT works if applied, yep still look at my stairs to bedroom with dread (14 steps) but, less dread now! Less aches and pains๐Ÿ‘

@iLuvAutumn 

If asked I tend to reply, when I see posts ๐Ÿคฃ

Enjoy

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey Froze! @Frozenoem

Super glad that you have โ€œless dread now! Less aches and painsโ€ Seems like PT is, or has, worked for you!...thatโ€™s great news!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

I also need PT so badly.... but have to wait for my new Orthos to do procedures. Saw my hand Ortho today... discussed surgery... & got a shot in my thumb area thatโ€™s all messed up with arthritis!...Actually all my main joints have been eaten up...so the diff types of shots are trying to delay surgeries as long as poss! Additionally saw a back Ortho Fri...getting some epidural shots soon for that too...

M new main Ortho gave me a shot in the hips last week for a 1st visit...it developed as a new area of pain (like I need more pain!!)๐Ÿ™„...while needing help...but no one was available...because of the lack of continuity of care ........& Iโ€™m starting the gel shots for my knees on Wed that Iโ€™ve been waiting on for 4 months...... since my old Ortho closed his office!

SHOTS FOR THIS ....SHOTS FOR THAT...Iโ€™M SO FULL OF HOLES...THAT I LEAK WHEN I DRINK WATER...HAHAAA๐Ÿ˜

Also took so many X-Rays....I asked if they wanted me to autograph any of them...LOL!!๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜„

ANYWAY...Iโ€™ll add more later...

Just glad youโ€™re making some progress Buddy!

As always, ...Stay safe....&...Take care!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐ŸŒฉ๐ŸŒฆ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ  โ›ต  ๐ŸŒž

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP