Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL OTOBER 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL OCTOBER 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 1st day of OCTOBER 2024.
Happy Birthday to all of our OCTOBER Birthday members.

1000009941.jpg

1000007802.jpg

1000012277.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi folks, letting you know I survived both hurricanes with damage only to some huge trees.   The hurricane before Helene brought terrible sustained winds on top of a drought.  Helene brought rain and caused a 100 ft tree in apparent glowing health to drop while we watched from the kitchen..  The root ball is over 10 ft in diameter.

@iLuvNature  Still. doing the sauna 5 nights a week.  Has lowered my blood pressure I am sure.  It is running about 125/75, pretty good for someone with my family history.   However, I am the first to be diagnosed with osteoporosis.  @MsStretch   I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.   So many are suffering in both So and No Carolina, East Tennessee.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Maine is too far north for the moment, 100 year and 1000 year storms, don’t seem to matter anymore.Climate change is coming, as the oceans warm.

Frequency of the storms are increasing, time to throw a log on the fire 40* and going down. Friend in TN told me he had 28” of rushing water, at his cabin. Washing out his sand baggedcabin until a large oak tree diverted the torrential stream.

Time to eat, take pills, magnesium for arthritis will destroy stomach lining with out food, but it works.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

So far I have not made an decision on a knee surgery. 

We were not impacted by Helena. We have not had much in the way of storms in September. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Still working on mobility and weight gain a whole 2 lbs woopie doo.

@MsStretch 

Your issue and my bro in law, are in the same boat body rot. For him it’s MA roads , Jc Whitney  and carparts dot com.

One of those moments he happy to have a cheap in law “me”. Also a new certified body shop and mechanic in family. Son and grand daughter.

Only problem he never believed his van would rust, with the rust proofing from dealer..

His first replacement is $299 for panel, labor is extra.Still less than new van at $60K.

To peeps working on housing for me, buyer of house is approved. First rental fell through🤬

Discovering the joys of “living trust” to protect assets. 

Now, it’s back to grind of cleaning for sale while packing up 40 years of accumulating 🤬🤬 and vacuuming cellar staircase, been awhile since I’ve been down there.Gonna be a nightmare in cobwebs.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry to hear that so many here are having health and other issues. I am having issues with both knees and am looking at having my right knee replaced. This will mean a month of major rehab. 

Hope everyone has a great and restful weekend. 

1000012192.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature  I love autumn too 😍.  IMG_0311.jpegMoosey & PearlieMoosey & Pearlie

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch   Sorry for your car issues,   I always feel out of my depth when it comes to cars.

@iLuvNature   I was prediabetic 15 years ago, went to a low carb diet. I lost 15+lbs and no longer needed blood pressure pills.  Also pain in knee resolved and has not returned and neither has the extra weight.  I suggest that you go slow, start with giving up sugar and starchy food.  If you do eat starchy stuff like mashed potatoes, meaure the portion.  Low carb message boards are a great help.   I still do not get a chance to watch PBS  although I read the emails 

Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature , for sure, Mr. has claimed you as his new best bud. 😻💕

Willie Mae got mats on her hindquarters which I tried to brush out (gotta hit her from behind), but only got a few strokes in before she turned to grab my hand and let me know that's a little too close for her comfort.  Go figure. 🤦‍♀️

@LaDolceVita , I feel you on the bone density scans.  In fact, this Tuesday, I get my annual infusion for osteoporosis.   That and continuing with the calcium supplements and weight bearing exercise. 

My Toyota Tacoma just failed inspection for frame rust. Apparently known issue with Tacomas, but my truck was not on recall list.  Mostly cold weather states -- NY, PA  -- road salt, the usual culprits, but because my truck is registered in VA (considered a "temperate state"), it's not considered a problem. I went through my VIN # and my truck comes back as "No safety issues currently". What?!  Excuse me, but I beg to differ! 😖 Have been round and round with Toyota, but even if they agreed, we're talking 8-10 months down the road.  Mechanic suggested block welding might fix it, so in process of finding body shop who can... will do it.  Also looking at new (used) vehicles.  This sucks.  Just need something to get around in, nothing fancy, just an occasional ride.  Ah, well, back to the drawing board.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

The joy of vehicles, new or used they rust frame damage happens.. so the second I got them it was wore brushing underneath, and coating with rust preventative or hardener.

Followed by coating with used or new oil , every 2-3 years, followed by driving over a dirt road, and coating all of the frame with dirt.

Mechanics hate it but, frame is protected from rust and rot.

Wish you luck with frame repair, most body shops with welding experience will take care of it. Might be why it’s relatively easy to buy replacement parts for Toyota’s.

Tundra TRD  for the moment still rust free in salt laden Maine roads but, now my ex gets the joy of crawling beneath the truck frame.to lay down new, rust preventer and lay down new oil.🤣, before driving on dirt roads.

Her newish EV is still rust free, pity the poor guy that ever swaps out her battery on the Volt? But, to date her rapid charge has cost her $15 to drive 3600 miles. 

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch  Ouch, sorry about the Toyota! 😾

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita and @catwoman500  , I got a PBS email TODAY and totally HAPPY!!!  💃💃💃

I signed up to get NEWS from one of the PBS stations I was getting on my PBS app.

Are guys PLANNING on watching this? I am!!! I LUV this show.

New Show News: Maigret.

The first contemporary television adaptation of Georges Simenon’s beloved novels about the streetwise Parisian Chief Inspector Jules Maigret will be coming to MASTERPIECE on PBS!  Get all the exclusive details on the cast and more.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature ...Yes, saw that in my newsletter, too. Looks like a good one!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@allPorchers 😀.Still finishing up doc visits.  Calcium score was 53, so no follow up required.  Bone scan not so good, I am doing heel drops and jumping up and down and some supplements.  I grew up eating dairy and never stopped,  had tons of calcium in the form of yogurt and kefir and cheese.   Still osteoporosis.

Anyway, to the eye doctor this week then a bit of a break.

@MsStretch  funny cat pictures!!   Hope to beback soon😉.

Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature , good news you have a kitty co-caretaker. 

When I first noticed that this stray cat had stashed babies under my deck, I immediately put a bowl of my indoor kitty's food out for the munchkins.  At first op, I got some cheapo DG brand wet food to feed the little guys and they were more than happy with that.  But, of course, that changed and it ended up just being easier to feed them with the cat food I already had on hand.  My indoor cats always liked Friskies Shreds, so shreds it was.  Cheapie stinky pate from DG was out.  *sighs*   And over time, they have refined their tastes.  Not big on chicken or turkey blends, no pate, beef occasionally, and so it goes.  Flash forward to present -- now here I am, getting autoship orders from Chewy just to feed the outdoor cats.  Friskies wet food.  Friskies or Purina dry food, Meow Mix if I have a coupon.  Friskies treats, no Temptations or moist treats. 

I refuse to try any little cans (at twice the price) of Fancy Feast or Sheba or the like because God forbid, they become accustomed to the really expensive food! 🙀 My neighbor (and co-caretaker) feeds her diabetic cat expensive food because she has to and will occasionally put a dish out for Giorgio and Willie Mae.  I told her to stop.  Don't get them used to those pricey little cans.  They will not go back.  Little fur-hooligans.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good night everyone and hoping you all have a restful night's sleep!

1000012083.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , congrats on an Eagles 🦅 win, although condolences to @DaveMcK for the loss.  Hard to believe it's that time of year again.

Glad to hear everyone is hanging in there in spite of the travails life keeps throwing at us.  Mick Jagger warned us.

🎵 What a drag it is getting old.🎵

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hola! @MsStretch 

Thanks! Yeah, It was a back-and-forth game for sure, and I still don't get why our first "home game" was in Brazil! 🦅

Honored Social Butterfly

Lol @catwoman500 , the team needed a VACATION 😂🤣

[*** CATWOMAN wrote: Hola! Thanks! Yeah, It was a back-and-forth game for sure, and I still don't get why our first "home game" was in Brazil! 🦅  ***]
Trusted Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature , Funny! 😸

Honored Social Butterfly

🎂Happy birthday, @iLuvNature .  For your viewing pleasure:

Willie Mae demonstrates the proper usage of  the Willie Mae stick.  Handy for feral cats who tend to get over stimulated and will not hesitate to grab an exposed hand.Willie Mae demonstrates the proper usage of the Willie Mae stick. Handy for feral cats who tend to get over stimulated and will not hesitate to grab an exposed hand.

Giorgio enjoying a tummy rub with the Willie Mae stick  and making air biscuitsGiorgio enjoying a tummy rub with the Willie Mae stick and making air biscuits

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello folks, I am still alive and well, actually doing very well.  I made it to my initial annual physical, no problems on blood work or exam.  Keeping the blood glucose and blood pressure within reason although not where I would like.  Heading for calcium score and bone density test next week.  I kind of expect problems with both.  

Weather turning cooler thankfully although we will have another hot week before Labor Day.  All dogs, chickens doing well.  Deer rampaging in the garden.   Moving here is the smartest  and best thing I have done in a long time 😍.

Honored Social Butterfly

1 comment [Saturday 8/24/24 12:58pm ET]

WHERE IS EVERYONE???  🤔🤔🤔

Well my door curtain from Amazon got delivered TODAY and got working on it and just FINISHED.

Mr. 🐈 was IN AND OUT during installation and after.

Lucky for me, my door is METAL and I didnot use all of the curtain and the part I use has the MAGNETS for CLOSURE.

So NO closure needed as magnets close on door. GRATEFUL!!!

▶️***(1) @MsStretch , my birthday is NEXT MONTH, can you post a picture of Queen Willie Mae  🐈  and Prince Giorgio 🐈 as my gift. I seem to remember you had posted when you had more furbabies. Lol, tempted to go try to find those darling pictures.

▶️***(2) @DaveMcK , I hope you and Mary are well.

▶️***(3) @Therapist4u , thanks for all the kudos and support in other forums. Gosh, I even gave everyone kudos HERE = stopped being lazy.

▶️***(4) @LaDolceVita and @catwoman500 , I finally broke down, stopped crying and re-installed my free PBS android app only to find out no more Grantchester. Hmmm, when does it return and do we get the same Vicar? So far Sydney has been my favorite and was so glad I was able to binge on his episodes on Prime. I still miss the other channels with shows I really luved. Lol, lots and lots of INTELLIGENT programs now which totally bore me. But at least ALL channels have the SAME Masterpiece so I will get to see All Creatures in January as Catwoman told me.

▶️***(5) Last, but well luved BIG BRO. Hope the sale went through @Frozenoem . 

Nicole  🙃🙃🙃

Gold Conversationalist

HI NICOLE!

Back to no notifications, even with tags, so I just happened to see this as I was scrolling for a minute....thanks!

In short, not doing well...b/c some meds still in short supply &/or backordered ...or Docs keep rescheduling & delaying imp RXs...altho did have another epidural which helped a bit....with sparse RX this year = new areas like hip now hurting along with knees, back, hand etc.....that basturdArthur Itis acting like Pac Man >>>>eatin up all da jointz....but not a gonna give up....no Siree BOB! LOL!

Just not up ta no mo wrtin rite now....

Miss y’all good FRONT PORCH PEEPS.....besides you NICOLE....that’d be @DaveMcK & the other 3 fine womanz here >>>> @LaDolceVita @MsStretch @catwoman500 and of course hoping for the best... for the best FROZE I know.... @Frozenoem

In the areas experiencing the dangerous heat waves....be sure to limit your time outdoors and stay hydrated!

Stay safe....&...Take care!

☮️  🌩 🌦 ~Allen

🌈    🌞

Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature , obviously you won't be able to leave your door open.  So Mr. will have to get used to closed doors.  If he is inside, he will let you know he wants out and all you can do is just periodically check when he is outside.  I was going to suggest that the only other option is a cat door when I saw your most recent post.  But you rent?  The landlord might have something to say about that. 🙄

Since Mr. is already comfortable coming inside and making himself at home, you might want to seriously consider introducing a litter box.  When it is bitterly cold and snowing, he might be less likely to want to go outside, and if he has "options", he won't have to.  Last resort would be to provide some sort of outdoor shelter.  The cheapest alternative is a styrofoam cooler or meat packing box (for insulation), easy to cut a door in the side, weigh the lid down, and fill it with straw, not blankets.  Straw also has insulating properties and they can burrow or nest in it.  Blankets will retain moisture and are not good at maintaining a cat's body heat.

Welcome to winter cat camping.  I remember the kids' first winter.  Any chance at trying to domesticate them and get them to come inside was a dismal failure.  On of their first shelters was a styrofoam Omaha Meats box.  Still have it and the occasional possum will use it.  However, Willie Mae and Giorgio's winter encampment has evolved over the years (coming up on their 8th winter) to igloos and heated kitty beds and sheds (and yes, it can get expensive), but since Mr. will come inside, that's a major step.  And we have seen other ferals come and go.  I dearly miss Stellar (Giorgio's brother), Boz, Armani, BUC every day. 😢😿

Honored Social Butterfly

Alrighty then ai live kinda. Thought tremors no problem then learned more side effects come with Parkinson’s Disease.

Still attempting to clean house for new possible owner, only 6 more rooms and attic and garage.

While attempting to remain upright on large quantity of med’s and pain killers.

At least I found my library book from 5 years ago to return. Niece packed it pre-pandemic from my home library. , only took me 6 years to locate 🤬.

Moral of story never get assistance from someone that has never moved.

So consider me absent for awhile more, need to find my happy place on medications. Functioning vs Stoned- honestly feel like I’m in the 1960-70’s again on most days.

Bold text is not shouting, it’s an attempt to see my typing. Can’t see optometrist until O get my vax and other shots on Monday. Then maybe I can lose my hippy hairdo and get a shave, in 2 more weeks.

Will have suggestions on cat doors for sliders (sliding glass doors for apt’s when happy med balance happens - maybe. Might require pocket hole jig from Lowe’s $30 and 1x1’s for windows or 2x4’s for sliding doors, and polyisocyanurate . If you don’t live in crime rampant area. 

Dreadful having construction background, (diy level)and attempting to explain again.Easier just to do, than explain.Translation my verbal skills have disappeared for the moment.🤬

@Therapist4u I’m really hearing you.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature , oh my goodness, I didn't know that Mr. had actually started coming inside.  Congratulations on becoming one of the lucky recipients of the CDS (Cat Distribution System).  Looks like you're his new adopted mom. 😻

Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvNature, just came in from taking Willie Mae and Giorgio on a short walkabout and/or pee break if needed while it is still sunny out and before the remnants of Debby move in. 🌧️.  Willie Mae plopped in some shady spot and after a few belly rubs with her stick, she seemed content to stay in her spot.  Giorgio followed me to the door for his 'obligatory' treats (said facetiously, only he thinks they're obligatory 😼), and who am I to disappoint him.

I am sure Ms. G has set her son straight on the care of Mr., but it's great that you have taken over as the "other mom". 😻

Honored Social Butterfly

I like watching the track & field events. 

For sure, the American athletes in swimming and gymnastics were incredible!

Honored Social Butterfly

How many of you are watching the Olympics?

Mary and I have been watching most of it.

We mainly like to follow swimming and gymnastics. Our three Daughters were competative swimmers and two of them swam in college on scholarship. We understand what the athletes parents went through with athletes training and competition meets taking up much of your life. 

What are your favorite Olympic sports.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP