Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! OCTOBER -DECEMBER 2020 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! OCTOBER -DECEMBER 2020 CLOSED

Goodbye 2020, Hello 2021.

goodbye september hello october.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all 10* and sunny seem to have got lost on way back to rollcall, still breathing and awake.

Slept through Dr’s appointment and now it’s catch up time, rebooking appts.

Masks I’m fine with before Covid used to spend between 4 and 12 hours per day wearing them, if I had to take apart hard drives to recover data or swap boards to make them accessible to reads.

Hope all enjoy the heavy snows coming your way, a special gift from me🤣. If I can’t get it this time around, It’s better I should share it with friends so you might have a “White Christmas”.

Mine will most definitely be , no melting coming much before Spring.

@catwoman500 

If you enjoyed my last picture, found a new one, if it posts.

24B01928-7F3F-4D09-ACB1-8EBA28DC503E.jpeg

And now it’s time to play in the woodpile it’s going to get colder tonight.

Finally have a packed to gunnels fridge, made it to the store and actually shopped.👍

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps!

Nor’easter going on here. Snow started around 1:00. It’s supposed to keep on going into Thursday AM. Luckily I had my appointments in the AM and got home before it started. Yesterday I did put my cane spike back on my cane.

@Frozenoem ….will this be bringing more your way? Yes, I like the new cat photo! 😸

My only worry is losing power. I can’t stand to be cold. It’s kind of like a white-out right now. I may not get out for a couple of days at this rate. I did bring the snow shovel up from the basement, but shovel in one hand, cane in the other, and ice grippers on boots doesn’t really work too well. Don’t want to end up with the wrong end of me on the driveway. 😳

You all be careful out there, and stay safe!

Mine!Mine!

Honored Social Butterfly

Refreshing 9* morning had to feed the stove, heard the furnace kick over and had to check.

Its snowing here but, only a dusting to 3” expected, purely coastal in theory. Remains to be seen🤣.

Understand your concerns about snow, never bring my shovel in from mud room, it’s a fixture. Same as second floor hall, for the other - used only when clearing roof of mud room, try to keep snow there under 4 feet.

Removal of larger amounts left to snowblower. Last year was the only time I tipped with it, did push up and 450 lbs arose from my chest- nice balance on wheels.

But, if was easier for me using the snowblower than cane to arise from the snowbank.Yes, that means I have a holster for cane attached to snow blower.

*Ayuh - could very well be what I meant by sharing my joy of snow and White Christmas’es to friends with bare ground.

My niece is thrilled with the 18-24” falling in Weymouth, MA - she is on coast. Her first Nor’easter in 10 years.🤣

Enjoy the snow, sharpen your spikes to a nice point, and stay in. I may hibernate until later after breakfast.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

On the morning of December 7, 1941, Imperial Japanese forces ambushed the Naval Station Pearl Harbor on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Tragically, 2,403 Americans perished during the attack, including 68 civilians. On this National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we solemnly honor and uphold the memory of the patriots who lost their lives that day“a date which will live in infamy” and we reflect on the courage of all those who served our Nation with honor in the Second World War.

Seventy nine years ago, Imperial Japan launched an unprovoked and devastating attack on our Nation. As torpedo bombers unleashed their deadly cargo on our ships and attack aircraft rained bombs from above, brave members of the United States Navy, Marines, Army, and Army Air Forces mounted a heroic defense, manning their battle stations and returning fire through the smoke and chaos. The profound bravery in the American resistance surprised Japanese aircrews and inspired selfless sacrifice among our service members. In one instance, Machinist’s Mate First Class Robert R. Scott, among 15 Sailors awarded the Medal of Honor for acts of valor on that day, refused to leave his flooding battle station within the depths of the USS CALIFORNIA, declaring to the world: “This is my station and I will stay and give them air as long as the guns are going.”

Forever enshrined in our history, the attack on Pearl Harbor shocked all Americans and galvanized our Nation to fight and defeat the Axis powers of Japan, Germany, and Italy. As Americans, we promise never to forget our fallen compatriots who fought so valiantly during World War II. As a testament to their memory, more than a million people visit the site of the USS ARIZONA Memorial each year to pay their respects to the Sailors entombed within its wreckage and to all who perished that day. Despite facing tremendous adversity, the Pacific Fleet, whose homeport remains at Pearl Harbor to this day, is stronger than ever before, upholding the legacy of all those who gave their lives nearly 80 years ago.

On this National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we recall the phrase “Remember Pearl Harbor,” which stirred the fighting spirit within the hearts of the more than 16 million Americans who courageously served in World War II. Over 400,000 gave their lives in the global conflict that began, for our Nation, on that fateful Sunday morning. Today, we memorialize all those lost on December 7, 1941, declare once again that our Nation will never forget these valiant heroes, and resolve as firmly as ever that their memory and spirit will survive for as long as our Nation endures.

The Congress, by Public Law 103-308, as amended, has designated December 7 of each year as “National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.”

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2020, as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. I encourage all Americans to observe this solemn day of remembrance and to honor our military, past and present, with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I urge all Federal agencies and interested organizations, groups, and individuals to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff in honor of those American patriots who died as a result of their service at Pearl Harbor.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-fifth.

DSCN0432.JPGDSCN0423.JPGDSCN0422.JPGDSCN0424.JPG

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem …It was a good thing I wasn’t drinking coffee when I saw that cat with the “shiny” thing. Oh, gosh that was so funny I would have had coffee all over the keyboard

I have seen those upside down trees before. Funny.

Not much going on here.

Made my mother’s meatballs Tuesday since one of our old traditions was to have spaghetti and meatballs on Christmas Eve. Froze them in small batches.

Fighting with Bed Bath and Beyond over their screw up of my order.

USPS not a friend right now either as it still hasn’t delivered one of my Ebay items to a customer. Mailed 11/30 to Illinois!

Needed to vacuum my car since I’ll be taking 2 friends up to another friend’s house on Friday so we can do our little Christmas that we usually do at one of our favorite restaurants. Still too iffy to go there in the holiday crowd. So decided to use just the dust buster inside the car and not connect the shop-vac and do a major thing. So glad I made that decision. Halfway through doing the minor clean up a snow squall decides to come. I ended that job fast. My hands were freezing. So hard for me getting in and out of the car I had the darn-dest time trying to pull up the passenger seat so someone with knees could sit behind that seat. Finally figured it out. Glad the driver’s side has an automatic slide thing. It’s still snowing, but it’s not going to do anything….I hope.

Good news about the vaccines. Not sure what phase we’ll all be in to receive it, but at least it’s on the way.

Pretty cold here still, but may warm up this weekend. I turned off the last outside spigot today.

Hope all of you are having a good week!

snow falling.gif

Off to get another cup!Off to get another cup!

Honored Social Butterfly

31* fair weather clouds, and snow this weekend.

@catwoman500 

P.O, may take awhile to deliver in timely manner or before this years fiasco with sorting equipment😇 and present?? postmaster general

Took me a week to get pkg of

wireless air pods from China by mail, last 3 days of trip in UPS system. But, that was in Sept. Present pkg is in US but, delivery delayed due to pkg. volume = translation another week.

Still in lockdown mode with no desire to play in crowds, or suggest they back off politely (kinda).

My age bracket suggests March or July for vaccine, maybe - Sexagenarian. But, this is Maine so it’s a crap shoot, and there’s still 100Million Positives in line ahead of me.

Time to play 2 hours of interruptions later, I think I best get moving.

My niece needed cheering had to find it, her cat “Clarice” crossed the rainbow bridge last night after 20 years.Diabetic with prolapsed something (if I say what I’ll be getting a nasty gram). Someone may need a Hannibal kitten this Xmas.

Her fav flick is “Silence of the lambs”.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Porch Peeps!

Just checking in...

@Frozenoem ... yep, having all kinds of issues with deliveries right now. Thankfully the one item was finally delivered to my customer in Illinois today. And now with UPS and FEDEX going to do the vaccine deliveries along with their regular items, this could be a "Shippageddon."

Still awaiting Christmas gifts and essentials, but not really worried. At least they keep notifying me of delays.

So yesterday was our little 4 person Christmas lunch get-together. I was so tired after talking to "real" people, and driving the hour up and hour back, that I slept through the night last night. TV was still on at 6:30 this AM.

I haven't had a mask on for that long before and wow! I haven't had anyone in my car since last winter so I had us mask up for the close quarters ride up and back. Was so glad to have fresh air when we arrived. 😛

Hope you all are enjoying some pre-Christmas/pre-holiday traditions.

Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate.

Time for some Joe...

coffee 2.jpg

Hug in a mug.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Having a heat wave, temp around 25* and cloudy. Awoke to first convoy of 6 telco/electric trucks replacing poles before 1st cup.

We had a storm blow through on Saturday/Sunday, only lost power for 6-8 hours.Today I clean out snow 15-16” and find my woodpile again.

Then swap out filters on landlines, it’s time.Took 5 minutes this am to discover why someone could be calling me about “Satanic Positives” magazine renewal, was “Photonics Positives”, and I have fiber optics cable to telco.

Time for coffee, then let the good times roll.”Laissez le bon temps rouler”, after I find my boots.🤣

959A34CB-8B6F-4A56-B540-74532A2BB9EC.jpeg

Froze

Conversationalist

Good Morning Everyone!

Not sure what the temperature is outside this morning, it is wet out and it did try to snow here in my corner of Chicago, IL.  Working on my second cup of coffee this morning and thinking I need to find my desk and tend to my house plants, oh and plan something for dinner. Small problems but hey better than big world issues. 

I do know that I am going to work on my crocheting at some point today, it is my new project for next year, crocheting blankets to donate next fall to women's shelters and other donation sites. 

Shari
Recognized Social Butterfly

@catwoman500  Haha,  the shaking cat, yes I feel like that often, though not about Christmas!    The picnic spot is Cave Spring, Ga, looks like just a little city park but feels like a world away.   People bring containers to get the mineral water to take home.

Honored Social Butterfly

14* and windy, power went out this morning. Put sandwich in woodstove wrapped in foil, heated through in a minute. Good news airpot worked, hot coffee.

Got snow, sleet, etc last Night, perhaps 14”, town plow came through my driveway.

@st18688804 

@catwoman500 

371609DD-E40F-49B0-8BD6-16195C506868.jpeg

Understand this may work, to protect ornaments on trees.

Froze

Conversationalist

We thought about this last year, just for something different, LOL.  

Shari
Recognized Social Butterfly

Winter has come and we had 3 nights in the high twenties.    The first real cold spell is the hardest until we acclimate.  Pretty boring here, not much news to report.  Still struggling with Maggie the dog's eye.   I am not nearly as tired now as I was in the summer months.  Site of last picnic for this year, last week in OctoberSite of last picnic for this year, last week in October

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Got my tree finished last night. Just need to vacuum (yes, even fake trees shed their needles, especially after over a decade of use) and put the tree skirt down. I don't care if anybody else but me sees it; I enjoy it!

It's raining right now and will be raining into tomorrow. Just glad it's not snow!

(sorry, @Frozenoem😸

@LaDolceVita ...that looks like a nice setting for a picnic. Glad you enjoyed it.

Take care you all, and enjoy the weekend!

My treeMy tree

LOL!LOL!

Not sure why my tree photo is sideways...it was upright when I added it?????

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning again to everyone on the Front Porch! When I started following the posts here on the Front Porch in January of 2009 I was happy to find out that Political and Religious posts where not acceptable. The group monitors were able to delete the posts and ban the posters if they continued to posts these posts.  Over the years many things have changed as there are no monitors and the AARP staff are the only people the can delete posts and ban posters. I tried a couple political groups and dropped out after a few years. 

We have been lucky that the Front Porch has remained basically politically free and a friendly place to come to on the internet! 

Thank You all for your continued support of this friendly zone!  

129092881_10159255655676929_1845767967410370163_n.jpg120720556_3579125602140194_2264524093879472355_n.jpg123768458_10220107242845041_4127389858304217946_n.jpgFB_IMG_1549852909950.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

The group moderators still exist but, now send you a private message if you dare to use one of the George Carlin type forbidden words.

Emojis make it okay vs the printed word, I think or at least I haven’t received any nasty grams of late.😇

When in doubt it’s time for review of AARP terms of service.

Politics and religion, I get enough of that from other groups on other sites, or relations. 

And on that note it’s time for an IV of caffeine. Had to work last night until 4:30 am when it was snowing. Awoke to mud and 49* again.

The magic question of the day — pandemic or not. When is it time to retire?

Or if I Promise to be good for the rest of year, can I please get 10-15” or more to stick around for more than a week.🤣

4C10F516-93C0-4925-81EC-D8A3A3B0E98D.jpeg

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

It’s Friday 28* and dark out and still wildly giddy for 10-15” of precipitation on Saturday. Tired of looking at snowblower in garage want to amuse neighbors with 40’ throwing range.

And hopefully lose the RV parked in my driveway before the snow. Found a 40 or 50 year old circuit breaker for it - NewOld Stock.

Or move it where no one will see it, learned my lesson a 10 year old in 1980 saw mine parked in driveway, and bought the same model 40 years later. Wish him luck with transmissions, hate Chevy vans with passion.

It’s happy snappy time, just enough light . Have a fun day let it snow🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Thursday morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Our weatherman tells us  we will have mild temperatures and little chance of snow until a week from  tomorrow. We are even deeper into hibernation here in Madison, Wisconsin with the threat of increased new cases of Covid-19 from those returning home after traveling for Thanksgiving celebrations. 

Hoping everyone has a blessed day!  Please stays safe, stays well and be smarter about your actions when out and about.

126934627_10158165747954132_2152605912519552118_n.jpg124350320_10225889656015204_4103313439877358426_n.jpg

pexels-photo-4099126.jpeg

will-rodger-dont-let-yesterday.png

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Peeps,

A chilly but sunny start to the morning here in the burbs.

Today is the final step (hopefully)for my implant. Wahoo! I get my crown placed today.

Earlier this AM I got a text from the dentist's office to fill out my COVID form on my phone...weird. Couldn't do it because it asked for an "e-sign ID". No clue what that is, so guess I'll be checking off all the "no" boxes when I get to the office lobby. They keep giving me pens...I have quite a collection. LOL

Wondering if I'll be able to stop at Starbucks on the way home or whether I can't have hot/cold beverages right away. I'm really up for a peppermint mocha. 😻

HA, just got another text from the dentist saying they are looking forward to my visit...funny. 

You all take care and stay home as much as possible.

coffee helper.jpg

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Good Morning,  I have been up since 3:30 am! I did go back to sleep though. Today I am hoping to rearrange my room, really think that is why I am waking up so early. Projects to stay busy..LOL   Yes I have hobbies, need to find a new one

Have a great day

Shari
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Good Morning,

Well, it is sure looks like Old Man Winter is trying to push his way through. I suppose since it is December and 22 days till Christmas it is about time. Anyone decorating for the holiday? I am still on the fence since I have a kitten who loves playing with everything (all of my decorations are sentimental and can't be replaced). 

Stay warm and stay safe

Shari
Honored Social Butterfly

38* and what else raining, watched my first sink hole collapse on the news at Sunday River Ski Resort last  night. Just up the road a bit.

Flooding on all rivers around state, power outages from wind and rain. Miss my snow, dang it.

Had a rabid animal put down by neighbor last night, that was a bit of a shock . One minute watching TV next, resounding crack of .30 outside my study window.

@st18688804

You may be new here in which case welcome, time to grab a calzone think I’m hungry.

Froze

Conversationalist

I am new here, still finding my way around here. Decided to stay away from the political side of here. I am not thrilled with retirement, at least

with COVID around.

Shari
Honored Social Butterfly

I've only got a little more time to say this (maybe... pending this afternoon and tomorrow night), but what a Thanksgiving!  Football Team beat the Cowboys 41-16, which put WFT on top in FIRST PLACE! 

yahoo

Bummer about everyone's travails with basement stairs (which are dangerous anyway).  You would hate my little house.  No basement, but a spiral staircase to the second level.  It really sucks in middle of night getting up out of bed (2nd floor) to pee with bathroom on 1st floor. 

Almost December already.  Still got a long way to go, but things will get better next year.  I got this feeling. wink

Honored Social Butterfly

34* and clouding up, afternoon promises gales 40 mph and rainstorms, gonna be a wild night.

Hear everyone on 1bathroom homes, the joy of camp taught me one thing a bucket and peat moss or coconut fiber and garbage bag. No muss or smell.

Camp was indoor plumbing for 6 months or an outhouse for the remaining year. Google Humanure if frugal $20 and scrap wood you can have toilet anywhere including tents for camping. Ex tested and approved vs suiting up for a mad dash out one door and through the woods and 4’ of snow to outhouse, and back.
Or in the house when she broke her foot and was incapable of mad dash to first floor to pee.👍

Vs porta potties $100, or compostable $1000 or Diaper Genie like toilets for $700. No sprinkling peat moss like humanure.

All of the above are just great when your septic freezes over and you can’t flush until spring thaw. Did I ever mention it gets cold up here.

Note on telephones in basements make them wired, in case of power outages. Wifi extender for cellphones -CYA.

Time to charge my battery pack for cell and lights, I’ve gone quiet for power outages. Lithium battery 2000Watts no noisy generators this year.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Thursday morning to everyone on the Front Porch! We are even deeper into hibernation here in Madison, Wisconsin in some areas and yet in some areas like Smalltown, Wisconsin I hear that mask wearing is a very low percentage of the people. Our Hospital Covid-19 areas are still full in our three hospitals here in Madison. Stay safe and stay smart!

129207548_10226035219214193_4999182064324750620_n.jpg

128608326_710457463201533_6153688280013221657_n.jpg129136294_1476543552550178_6230564890904307131_n.jpg

Link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1824481471152365/?refid=18&ref=group_browse&_ft_=top_level_post_id.273...

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps,

I hope it's Tuesday, December 1st. The holidays are creeping/rushing up on us. Guess it depends on how relaxed you are. Just did some shopping on Amazon since the legs/back are not in sync with the brain. Brain says, "we'll do this, this and that"....legs and back say, "are you kidding?" So not much "in person shopping" will happen.

I'm still in decorating mode. No one will see the inside, but I like to do it, it makes me happy, and am in no rush, so will do it little by little. Most of the neighborhood is lit (with lights, not booze LOL). I'm ready with the candles in the windows and floodlight on the porch, but will wait until the weekend for the "grand" illumination.

Tornadoes swept through close to this area yesterday. Inches and inches of rain. We lucked out around here, but close by there was a lot of destruction. We did have a tornado watch and warning, but we just got the thunderstorms with heavy rain and wind. Whew!

Saw news footage of snow across the country. Hope you all are safe and are ready for a good news month.

December.jpg

And so, off to the Keurig I go!And so, off to the Keurig I go!

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon Tuesday 59* and raining, Christmas mood might happen around the 13th only if snow falls in town.

Thought we were off to great start when snow cannons were started at 2 ski slopes now there off , not cold enough.Need 30* overnight temps.

One of those ski slopes just reopened after sale , in a pandemic and lockdown.

Think I’ll turn on lights and clean house that ought to go in history books. Wash masks and clean floors.👍

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh yes, @MsStretch! I'm with you on hopes that next year will be better!  And as for your spiral staircase and the bathroom being one floor down from the bedroom...?   Well, if it were me, I'd set up a potty chair right there in my bedroom; maybe on the farthest corner from my bed.  Cuz I assure you, when I have to go, "I HAFTA GO!"   And I just don't think I'd make downstairs in time.  Smile.

Honored Social Butterfly

awaq.gif

Good morning, Peepers!

Well, it's Sunday and due to staying out much too late last night (I went to our annual drive--through Christmas lights display festival), I had quite a time getting up, dressed, up again (laid back down--a mistake) and out for work this morning.  But even though I'm not yet my perky self, I'm here now and ready to go.

It's very cold here, but the sun is out in full force, the sky is beautiful and the air is so crisp and clean and fresh.  The snowfall of last week is but a memory and the ground is dry.  So I'm hoping even at this late date that we will have one last warm up--enough so I can finish my yard clean up for the season.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with good food, the company of loved ones, or the blessing of blissful solitude.  At least we can all yet say, "We's still here!"  Smile.

@LaDolceVita, I'm so sorry to read about your head-first tumble down the stairs.  I do hope you are alright today.  As I have said before,  going down my basement stairs is becoming a real chore for me what with my very achy and uncooperative hip joints.  No more bounding up and down the stairs like years ago. Now, it's hold the rail and the wall and watch as I take each step down and looking up to the landing as I make my  way back up--all the while saying to myself , "You can make it! Just a few steps more!"

Old age....?   It's a kick in the head and a pain in the butt.  But then what cha gonna do?  The alternative is just way, WAY too drastic!  lol  And so we just keep on keeping on.  Thank God for that!

Unfortunately,  I rushed outta the house so fast morning that I forgot my coffee which I had dutifully set up last night to perk this morning.  Only needed to press the button.  But I was running super late and I left without my caffeinated fortification.  I sure could use it right about now.  Droopy.

Anyway, I'm wishing each and everyone the bestest Sunday ever!

Be well, stay safe, and enjoy the remainder of the weekend.

Lyds

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP