Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! November - December CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! November - December CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to November 2019 Goodbye October. 

Hoping everyone has a great First Day November. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Porch Peeps,

We have a bright and sunny day here. At 8 AM the temp was 19 and the wind chill was 10, so we are warmer than you, @Frozenoem . Right now it is all the way to 28 and feeling like 18.

I'm not going anywhere either. Hairdresser cancelled my appointment for this AM...she fell down her basement steps and is still not back to normal yet. OUCH!

Happy about the "peachy" thing that is starting today, but not interested enough to watch.

Definitely need more coffee!

Stay warm!

Ahhhhh!Ahhhhh!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Greetings,

Catwoman500, your picture is perfect. In New Jersey we are having a hard time with wild Turkeys in Tomsriver. Plus, today Star Bucks has a special, during 2 to 7 today. You have to use the app. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying your day 😊

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

@Frozenoem ...We are warmer today. Right now 37 feeling like 32 and the sun is out, so it's all good. With all the records beign broken everywhere it's a wild ride. Nashville colder than Anchorage, etc.

Went out to get gas today, always a fun experience, but this time there were no customers in the mini-mart, so the guy didn't have to keep running in and out of the store to pump my gas. It was the fastest I've ever been in and out of there.

@n566192l ...I have been hearing a lot about those problem turkeys in Tom's River.

The Starbucks deal is a BOGO. I don't need 2 holiday drinks and my friends either aren't available or don't like Starbucks...imagine that! LOL!

You all have a safe day! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

In cold weather pretty much used to everyone being warmer than me. Presently 21* feels like 14* just a little bit of wind and flurry action.

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to 40* for freaky weather, filled my wood box at 5* last night.

Needs to thaw before burning, a couple of hours should do it.

Re:the peachy thing may end up with roundups on Colbert show.

Or Cspan2 tomorrow.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

veterans-day-thank-you.jpg

Veterans Day is on Monday, Nov. 11th and honors the nation’s estimated 18.2 million veterans who have served in the U.S. military. The federal holiday dates back to World War I. There are ceremonies and parades across the country and several discounts offered to veterans on Veterans Day.

Here’s what you need to know Veterans Day Was Created After World War I and Is Held On Nov. 11 Because the War Ended on the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month.

World War I, known as “the war to end all wars,” officially ended on Nov. 11, 1918. More specifically, it ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Nov. 11 was proclaimed Veterans Day by President Woodrow Wilson and was originally called Armistice Day, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs. In 1954, after the United States fought in World War II and the Korean War, the name of the holiday was changed to Veterans Day under President Dwight Eisenhower.

12196253_10207968341115970_7513715175369401067_n (1).jpg70315517_2493210224089162_5160943770727874560_n.jpg1278px-World_War_I_veteran_Joseph_Ambrose,_86,_at_the_dedication_day_parade_for_the_Vietnam_Veterans_Memorial_in_1982.jpgFB_IMG_1541972581055.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this Sunday afternoon in November 2019! 

Our high temp yesterday was 43* and most of our last snow fall is just about.

Today we should reach the up 30's than only temps in the mid 20's for a few days.

We are watching the Chicago Bears vs the Detroit Lions game. We are hoping to see The Packers beat up on the Panthers. I enjoyed the pregame tributes to my fellow Veterans today by the NFL teams.

The photo of the cardinals here is like what we are seeing outside our livingroom window today. 

Hoping everyone has a great week ahead. 

74956750_1538327109667928_5513479745855029248_n.jpgFB_IMG_1540218950230.jpgFB_IMG_1483066955801.jpggood-week_012 (1).jpg74893787_787667545012344_7119981004151848960_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Thursday 2019. Hoping everyone has found their SPOT on the Porch today. I am sitting in my recliner as it is 17* outside with 3" of new snow from yesterday. Have a great day!

No it is not Spring out sideNo it is not Spring out side73273554_10157097310719425_8305511704356192256_n.jpgphoto-1480889908519-abee27e21175.jpeg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps,

Still a no go on the computer with AARP. Yesterday I wrote a post, tried to put a photo in and it didn't load so I lost the post and didn't feel like rewriting it.

Today I can't get the whole reply box to appear.

Anyway...Today was the official day for Starbucks to start selling their holiday beverages. I went for a peppermint mocha. 

Then I went to JoAnn's fabrics and was swamped with Christmas! Cat Surprised

Have a warm weekend.

Brrrrrr, @DaveMcK ....Our weekend will be much colder, but not as cold as that!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500  You do not totally lose you drafts. Just click on your avatar and it will take you to your personal page. Go to the bottom of your page and there will be your drafts. Click on the page  you want and it will reopen you draft page. Also you will find some other information about your posting history and kudos.

About catwoman500
catwoman500
Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon 35* and snowing.

Tomorrow will be delightful 15* , I think Winter is here.

@catwoman500 

Afraid I've been on phone's only today, can't help with computer.

Updates on Windows 10 have been messing up puters this week.

Try updating all devices-security updates. Since your talking about AARP you may need to update Java or Flash, only website I use that still uses both.

Logging out, then logging back in after closing and clearing your browser might get it to work.

Update the notepad, and phone just for giggles.

@n566192l 

Salonpas works tried it last night, happiness happened with no side effects.

And found a use for the wax, your aunt was correct. Proper brand and name would get me bleeped on AARP, makes a great fire starter with lint😇.

Now I need to boogey up to store, before it gets nippier out.

Enjoy all

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Oh, Wow! I got the reply box to appear this AM so I better post something!

Chilly after a little rain last night, but now it's bright and sunny... woke up at 32 degrees, feeling like 28, but now it's a hot 36, feeling like 27...go figure! Pretty windy though, so I guess that's why the drop in wind chill.

Not sure about the photos being enabled, but I'll definitely copy what I've written before I try to load a photo.

Hoping those of you with snow are not trapped by it. Have a relaxing weekend. N.

This is the photo I wanted to post the other day.This is the photo I wanted to post the other day.

Whooo can forget about Thanksgiving?Whooo can forget about Thanksgiving?

YAY! The pictures loaded!

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning 26* wind chill 14*, my snow blew away to somewhere.

👍.

See no problems getting out today, even with black ice in places.

@catwoman500 

Glad you had no issues today!🤣 Time to travel with no wakey caffeine - ugh!

Froze

@Frozenoem   Just saw picture of cough syrup and I agree with your post.  At first I thought it was the CBD oil until further inspection.  Hope you survived the long ride w/o coffee.

@catwoman500  The after Halloween picture made me laugh. 

Everyone's posts here cheered me this morning.  Just reading about the ordinary stuff of life.  Mom's calling, gotta go.  Oh and winter is here in NW Ga too.

Honored Social Butterfly

32* and 😎 sunny.

@LaDolceVita 

Made it 110 miles, when in front of a Dunkin, got a call from Dr's office. Doctors' water broke, see me in another month.

Seriously a good excuse with a re-schedule. Coffee, breakfast called, then back home.

Ever feel like somethings will never end.🤣 Presently looking at new Doctor in Mid-December, and one more never ending journey.

Really, really want this appt. to happen before SnoCats are required for transport. Tracked vehicles, we tend to get snow up here.

@DaveMcK 

Thanks forgot that bit, have been avoiding computers of late. More time spent on iPhone. Or examining just the hard drives with no operating system used.

Time to bring in wood, seems we'll be getting cold temp's next week, and prefer wood heat to oil.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Saturday, Everyone,

Looks like I can reply again.

@n566192l ...When I was a kid, our street was 3 blocks long with us at one end and the beer/soda distributor at the other end next to the penny candy/handipped ice cream/ newsstand store. I remember going with my dad, only on special occasions, like before Christmas to get soda and beer to have on hand. We hardly ever had soda in the house.

@Frozenoem ...This is unbelievable! I sure hope the 3rd time is the charm and you finally get to your appointment!

@DaveMcK ...Thanks for the tip on saved drafts!

It is very cold today (for this area at this time of the year) The high is 41, right now, feeling like 37, and when I woke up this AM it was 27. Had to get my gloves out.

Take care everyone!

Yep, it's glove time. And it's always coffee time!Yep, it's glove time. And it's always coffee time!

Greetings,

Does anyone remember when we used to go to a soda distributor. We would pick out bottles of our favorite flavors. But them in a big blue plastic bottle carrier. Check out. We had to return the bottles on our next visit. The reason for my question is I just saw a segment on the News. The national bottling company in Bayonne, is having an estate sale today. It brought back memories.

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l  my hometown of Ripon, Wisconsin had the 

RIPON ICE CREAM AND BEVERAGE COMPANY, RIPON, WISCONSIN

398489752314815.jpg3987315625.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Last night was the first night we dropped into the 30s here in VA and the first night I plugged in all the kitty houses and beds.  Worked overnight (getting ready to do Christmas install at the shopping/town centers in noVA) and when I got home about 5 AM, all the fur kids were out to greet me and not one in their toasty warm beds.  disbelief.gif

@catwoman500and @PattyDiane , We also had drastic weather change on Halloween.  Went from the balmy 70s to a hellatious storm and wind and dropping temps at night.  No trick or treaters in my neck of the woods.  Heard branches hitting the roof which is always a little disconcerting, given the tree that fell on a neighbor's house last spring.

@Frozenoem, one thing I noticed this year was the lack of acorns!  Usually with all the oaks around here, when I step out on the deck, it's like walking on marbles and hard hats are always a plus.  Either the squirrels have been extra diligent or something is off.

@DaveMcK  and @Frozenoem , feel free to keep all your snow up there.  xs-frostywink.gif

@LydiaN586309, stores around here have had their Christmas décor and goodies out on the shelves long before we even got through Halloween.

@n566192l, hope you are out of hospital soon, if not already.  Get well.

Back to dealing with new computer and configuring it like I want it and restoring files and downloading my favorite must-have programs (or apps, I guess they are called now).  I screwed up by picking the wrong transfer option on Windows 7 back-up to 10 (for me, anyway).  I should have picked and chose, but was trying to make it quick and easy and ended up with a bunch of program files which I didn't really want and had to clean up.  But that's another story.  C'est la vie.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

46* and sunny but, the temps have taken a decidedly downward trend - 10-20* overnight.

Me thinks the rains will be switching to snow flakes, judging by all those pretty snowflakes on weather app.

@MsStretch 
If you get snow you're welcome to keep it - really.

One part of me wants to play with snowblower, the other Nah!

Flinging snow 40' into neighbors yard gets old.

"Zinstall Win Win " is relatively easy to use, can't say what I use though. Ethernet cables are fun, as are usb to usb cables, or merely sticking the old drive in new case.

3 bags of candy and not a single trick or treater. Think they blew away 40-60 mph gusts.

If your fur kids were warm, they may have been welcoming you home and merely extracted them selves from heated pads.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning!

Bright and sunny again today. Looks like we have reached our high for today already...50.

At the grocery store this AM I heard about a lot of people who lost power and some 5000 homes in our county are still without it as of this AM. Sure thankful that we didn't lose ours. It's dang chilly!

Time for a high test caffeine fill-up.

Hope everyone is warm enough.

GO EAGLES!

Brrrr!Brrrr!

Mmmmmm!Mmmmmm!

Marking my spot.  Do not want to be left off roll call!   

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Marking my spot.  Do not want to be left off roll call!   

Like @LaDolceVita, I'm making my... "spot" on The Porch today.  Nothing much else to report. Smile.
Lyds 
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, all. Forgot to charge my phone, so am on my Kindle tablet.

I may get back here if the computer is friendly with AARP today.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Save my spot, too!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Looks like happiness has arrived in Virginia👍.

In Maine 43* and partly cloudy, time for our annual when the heck does the first storm of season arrive, vs sub-Arctic overnight temps.

Weathermen are suggesting plowable on Thursday/Friday, of course for the mountains.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there everyone,  AARP at its best again. Can't post from my computer. "REQUEST ENTITY TOO LARGE " is popping up again.

@LaDolceVita ...got your PM but couldn't reply to that either. I heard there will be a special,  narrated by Keely, telling what happened to the family after Corfu.

So trying to make this short and sweet...today I voted. 27 darn things on the  ballot and we have reverted to caveman days...paper ballot and a Sharpie! Ridiculous. Machines were so much easier. 

Enjoy your day. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Had issues this am, with AARP on phone, luckily post was saved in drafts.🤣

Came back magically,didn't need to remember what I posted.

On phones and notepads , clear your cookies or cache, not to sound like an AARP standard reply. 

The gremlins are at work behind the scenes, fixing???? Things.

@LaDolceVita 

You're safe😎

D46E274C-B9BC-4686-B2F2-7F14BA13EBD9.jpeg

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning Tuesday 41* and raining😎, a good thing.

Furnace has been cleaned, and turned on, the bleeder valve* is about to be turned on. 

*bleeder is Maine speak for lowest faucet in house, set to dribble over winter. Generally turned on around the same time temp's hit 0-10* overnight. It keeps the pipes from freezing.

It's also time to pull the parka from the closet, wool caps, gloves and pacboots.

Plowable snow is threatened, and arctic overnights. Lawn mower is charging for 48-hours, to be stored . And snowblower ac start is at the ready.

I think winter is approaching and due on Thursday, same day as the Hummer arrives for my trip??

Enjoy

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Saturday of November 2019. Our morning temp is 33* with cloudy skies. We have a about 5" of unmelted snow with much of it covered  with the last of leaves that fell after a hard frost. 

I hope everyone is having a nice and restful weekend. 

73325422_2881079651905190_1906855768779390976_n.jpg

70388934_2372195346372892_3745903706286063616_n.jpg73273554_10157097310719425_8305511704356192256_n.jpgphoto-1522248105696-9625ba87de6e.jpeg

Fall in Northern Wisconsin is slowly fading into Winter!

70641803_2905840126111524_2526739435014324224_n.jpg26962294_1687770127951721_6501501928707028231_o-1024x576.jpgOur first snow of the winter in October.Our first snow of the winter in October.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, All,

@DaveMcK ...Love your candy corn directions. I feel the same way! I buy some to use as decoration and then dump it. I think maybe my guests each had one piece the other day. Make my teeth hurt just to look at it, but it is pretty and seasonal.

It was in the low 30's this morning when I woke up. The car looked like a cherry Popsicle, so we did get that frost. It's sunny and bright now at 50, feeling like 48.

Eagles play the Bears tomorrow at home. Finally looks like typical football weather!

Meant to post this photo yesterday...

Day after HalloweenDay after Halloween

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

I love, love, love your Kitty in the Candy Stash The Day After Halloween pic!  So cute!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP