CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL July  September 2021
CLOSED
USE OCTOBER  DECEMBER 2021

Good morning everyone on this FRIDAY morning July 2nd, 2021. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

CLOSED USE OCTOBER TO DECEMBER 

178949.png

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Monday 20th -I think fall is coming even to Maine. 70’s by day, 40’s at night. Don’t miss the AC!

Yesterday took a drive to explore my own town, passed a herd of 🦬 Bison -WTH. Think I’ve been in lockdown to long, don’t remember passing them before. 

@RosemaryF433825 

Despite the rains this year, our temps have been to cool for the little buggers to hit full force. Not too many skeeters 🦟 or black fly 🪰 to contend with.👍

@LaDolceVita 

Bet your looking forward to new home.

@catwoman500 

To closure on your new addition to home.

About all I’m planning on doing for next few weeks is playing in woodpile, think I’ll need it.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Howdy, Porch Peeps!

Weather is good here until Wednesday when we are due for a couple of days of rain. Then it clears for the weekend. Started out in the mid 50’s this morning, and now at lunchtime, it’s 73, not going too much higher. Low humidity, too.  I’m loving the good sleeping nights with the window open and the comforter pulled up. Not too sure about tonight, since the second new window was put in today. Those windows are so huge, and now with no curtain/blind, I may have to ask my stepson to hang a beach towel over the window. And no screen yet, so this could be iffy.

@LaDolceVita …sorry about your humidity returning. We got hit with that a couple days last week. Happy you are still getting veggies. I just cooked up a big container for the next few days. I look back to the days when I could garden and tried a bunch of different things like broccoli, eggplant, and even peas. When we first moved here there was even rhubarb growing at the back of the property. The last time I had a garden here it was just tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and basil.

@RosemaryF433825 …Bless you for helping out with the friend whose relatives are not close by. Ugh about your mosquitoes! That would “bug” the heck out of me for sure. When we were in Alaska, we saw mosquitoes that were so huge, they were thinking of naming them the state BIRD! Knock on wood, but since I don’t even go outside at night, I haven’t been bothered by any, but I did read where in the next township they were going to do some spraying like they used to do back when I was a kid. They put out an advisory to stay inside and turn of the AC between certain hours. I remember that smell.

@Frozenoem …Bison? Real live bison? Did you take a left turn into “Yellowstone Land?” Are you sure they weren’t moose getting ready for Halloween? Maybe they were making a movie. LOL.

Speaking of which, Adam Sandler is in Philly today shooting a movie that is supposed to be set in NYC, so there were NYC cabs in the news clip I saw. So many street closures it was ridiculous. Bet all the drivers were annoyed.

So…that’s about it for me right now…time for some java.

Take care, all.

be the reason.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Had to do a double take when I saw them usually feed in a higher pasture surrounded by trees.

Found the farm on FAcebook I think?

Bison 

I knew we had Arabians and Morgan’s (horses) Cows for dairy but, Bison since 2003 came as news to me.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning Porch Peeps,

hello fall.jpg

It’s the first full day of fall!

Things were very noisy for a time in my neighborhood earlier today. Tree service was across the street, trash and recycling trucks were roaring, of course my stepson is making lots of noise in the addition, and then the dumpster guy arrived to exchange the dumpster…all at one time. I could barely hear myself think. LOL…oh, there goes the chipper revving up again.

They are calling for severe storms later today, just what this area doesn’t need. It’s very humid and I’m hoping the storms will drive it away. It's very windy, too.

Bloodwork today so I’m loaded down with water. I think I slosh when I walk, but at least they should be able to get my blood. My stepson said there is a “new-fangled” thing that he saw them use on his wife, that kind of sucks the arm and the needle goes right in. I bruise so easily I’m thinking that the sucking would make a mark, too.

@Frozenoem …didn’t even know Maine had any bison! Very cool to see.

cat and pumpkins.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Bison

They’re farm raised (free range over 100 acres), and better than beef. Higher in iron, lower in fat and calories.

Apologies to vegans or chicken fish fans- @MsStretch, like most forms of protein especially salmon still.

• Bison are not native to Maine herd started awhile back, brought from WY/ MT area of country.

Know family members just not the bison farmers🤣 that’s going to change methinks.Bought beef  ribeyes yesterday and price scared me😡.

Now, if I could just find sheep up here, I might be a happier camper👍

Time to play with wood cart need exercise, saw another doc yesterday and will be wired soon for month long EKG joyous.😠

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good afternoon, Porch Peeps,

Happy National Coffee day!

National coffee day.jpg

Not much exciting going on around here…just construction mess and noise.

My routine is so disrupted, I can’t even plan on when to do my errands anymore. Have to be here for a plumber on Friday and Saturday so have to do my bank run and other errands tomorrow.

Wondered why my bath was lukewarm last night and as I always think the worst, thought the hot water heater was dead. Gave it some more thought and wondered if Stepson may have flipped the breaker when he was doing some plumbing work yesterday and forgot to flip it back, so went down to the basement this morning, and whew! That’s what it was. I “guilted” him on it when he arrived today. LOL

He’s such a good guy…since the new screens are still back ordered, he made a temporary screen for my bedroom window. Of course now it’s chillier than normal, but I know it will warm up again and I’ll need that fresh air at some point.

So things are moving along, but not real obvious progress that you can see…more of the duct work, electrical outlets, light fixture type stuff. I did get to plan my new closet layout, so that was fun. We started to pick bathroom tiles and flooring, too.

Sure hope you all enjoy some coffee today. I had my normal since I couldn’t leave the house today. I did read that Starbucks was also offering a free coffee if you brought in a reusable cup/mug.

Stay well and be safe!

Takin' care of business!Takin' care of business!

Honored Social Butterfly

Thursday 30 September, leaves are changing colors, moose and deer are on the roads and entering rut for added joy.

Means they’re getting a little rambunctious.Watch out for stubborn animals in the roads.

Also discovering writing manuals for durable medical equipment is 💩, think they could use some writers.4 calls to figure out how to use Pocket ECG, 10 pages that could answer all question in 2 pages.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

October.jpg

Hello, Porch Peeps!

Guess we need a new forum thing for the new month?

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to those on the Front Porch!

Good morning to everyone on this third Sunday morning of September 2021.

Good Sunday morning to everyone one out there on this Sunny morning September 19, 2021!
Watching CBS Sunday Morning News and waiting for Breakfast to be delivered from the kitchen. Have a blessed day my friends.

FB_IMG_1631453315445.jpg

FB_IMG_1632061457365.jpg

FB_IMG_1632061471619.jpg

FB_IMG_1632061494059.jpg

FB_IMG_1632061506416.jpg

FB_IMG_1632061516065.jpg

FB_IMG_1632061409018.jpg

There is nothing more spectacular than a morning sunrise to usher in a new day. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Good Morning, Everyone!

My week has been nothing "usual,"  what with sitting at the bedside almost every free minute I have with a dying family friend.  Her family members are in Texas, so I have been trying to be there with her.   She is very close to dying now, but luckily is being given morphine to keep her comfortable, otherwise she would be in terrible pain.

On the other hand, we are being INUNDATED in the area where I live with mosquitos!!!  And I mean CLOUDS of them!  We have barely had a handful all summer, but now that flood waters have gone down, they are coming out all over the place!

Trying to go outside has been ghastly...you have to run for your life to get to your car.  I tried harvesting some tomatoes when I got home from the city, and I could only grab two before I was swarmed.  I swear you could put saddles on 'em and ride the dam things into the next county!!  Gahhhhhhh!  They are the worst I've ever seen...and I've lived out here over 25 years!

I am home to get something to eat, so I'd best get on the fly.

Hope you are all enjoying a relaxing Sunday.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi,  it has been a rather dull week, nothing new in my world.  Weather has turned humid,  had to turn air back on.  Temps are low to mid 70s and lots of rain.  Still eating from the garden.   House about halfway to completion, picked out floor coverings.  Went with the most water resistant and wear resistant.   

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to those on the Front Porch!

Good morning to everyone on this second Sunday morning of September 2021. Coffee is ready for sipping during the CBS Sunday Morning News. Breakfast will be delivered to our appartment soon. Rain will develop this afternoon. Tree colors are starting to develop here.
We will be watching the Packers this afternoon. Go Pack Go!

FB_IMG_1631453315445.jpg

FB_IMG_1631453330520.jpg

FB_IMG_1631453342753.jpg

FB_IMG_1631453361429.jpg

FB_IMG_1631453373365.jpg

FB_IMG_1631453395574.jpg

FB_IMG_1631453417772.jpg

FB_IMG_1631454526460.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

It's Thursday September 16th already! Time is flying!

@LaDolceVita …I’m happy for you that you have settled in to more comfy temps. We have been up and down. Had the AC on yesterday as the humidity and “feels like in 90’s” were so uncomfortable. Today they say rain, with only a high in the 70’s. But, unfortunately, the humidity is still hanging around.

I actually had goose bumps when I had coffee on the porch earlier. It was a combination of cooler temps and humidity that was doing a number on me. HA!

My bedroom wall came down yesterday, but my stepson, God bless his soul, didn’t have to move the bed to the living room! He put up a great plastic sheeting wall and covered the bed with plastic. He also hooked up my TV to the other side of the room since I can’t go to sleep without the TV! I’m weird about that, I know, but I do need my sleep.  My living room and dining room however, have a bunch of the bedroom stuff all over the place and really look discombobulated.

Have you ever seen this really cool zipper tape? It lets him have access to the addition through the plastic sheeting! I had never seen anything like that before.

This is so cool!This is so cool!

Hoping everyone is staying safe and having comfy weather.

@DaveMcK …not sure how your Packers did Sunday, but the Eagles had a big win over Atlanta. Go Birds!

Remember when?Remember when?

Honored Social Butterfly

Somewhat back Friday 17th, it’s been a weird week? Had rainstorms come through and even a touch of PA. 5% chance of tornadoes in ME.

Removed the AC from window when it looked like Kansas outside, didn’t feel like chasing it through the woods.

Saw twister formation (almost) on news, took that as a clue. AC is out and can stay out and off.

@catwoman500 

Yep, have seen the zipper plastic, used similar when removing asbestos in 70’s-80’s. Then graduated to using it on side porch on rental house up here.Wanted a warmer sunroom over winter.

It worked! T-shirt weather at 0* outside but, on porch was 70*🤣. Also cut down on heating bills my first year in Maine in old uninsulated house👍.

Enjoy all

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on this somber Saturday morning September 11, 2021.

Remembering 9/11
The weeks and months that followed the attacks were a defining time for many, including on Wall Street.

FB_IMG_1631364677630.jpg

FB_IMG_1631364695140.jpg

FB_IMG_1631364708028.jpg

FB_IMG_1631364731860.jpg

FB_IMG_1631364757403.jpg

FB_IMG_1631364770333.jpg

FB_IMG_1631364788019.jpg

Please note that all of the photos above were taken from the internet so I can honor all of those that passed that day.

May they all R.I.P.

Where were you that day?

I was at a conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Bronze Conversationalist

Good Morning all....

I was actually on a photo shoot in the northern part of a totally different state than my own.  I remember turning on the TV in my hotel room to see the weather report for the day, and there was a live broadcast of the north tower on fire.  I was positively STUNNED!  The next thing I remember is actually seeing the second plane hitting the south tower.  

When I went down to the breakfast room, all the travelers were huddled around the TV in the room....not knowing what to do or say.

I also remember being very thankful that I had gassed up the night before, because there were lines of honking traffic down every street leading to the gas stations.  People in total panic.

The most heartfelt thing I saw after leaving the hotel and proceeding onto the shoot was all the American flags I saw out on peoples' properties...even on fenceposts out in the country.  It was very moving to say the least.

Silver Conversationalist

Hello @DaveMcK and everyone else in the AARP Community. I had just dropped our oldest son (now 24) off at preschool here in Upstate NY on that sunny day when it came on the radio that we were under attack. When I went back to pick him up the school had gone into lockdown. Where were you?

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch …yes I do remember that story about President Bush being with the second graders.

This morning on the special Today Show 20 years 9-11 show, they did show him give his speech at Shanksville, PA, site of the Flight 93 crash. VP Harris  also spoke there this morning.  Pres. Bush’s daughter Jenna who works on the Today show was at the NYC studio with the regular anchors, and President Bush’s White House Chief of Staff, Andrew Card, reminiscing about what all went down after he was notified of the attack.

@LindaB671 ...That had to be scary for you!

That night I had called my cousin who worked for some politician in NYC to make sure she was OK. Her husband answered and said that she was safe at home, frantically trying to call her sister who was in DC. The one in NYC had arranged a tour of the Pentagon for my other cousin and her family!!! She did eventually get her and all was OK for them. Meanwhile her husband who also worked in NYC was telling me about trying to walk through the streets get to the ferry to NJ. Skip this next part if you are squeamish…………………………………………….

He kept seeing bodies falling/jumping from the buildings. It was a nightmare he said.

Just a very sad day in our history.

Patriot Day.jpg

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@catwoman500 Frightening for all of us! I sent you a private message about teaching and such.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I hope no one thinks less of me for saying this....or that I have some sort of warped mind....but as I read about your friend's husband trying to walk through the streets of NY during 9/11, I actually wondered how I would feel about being in those towers while watching a TV program that re-aired about it.

What would I do when I knew there was no chance of survival?  Would I just wait to be consumed, or would I leap for a quick death?   What a terrifying, hopeless decision those people were forced to make for themselves.

Although my religion is very much against suicide, one can hardly find fault with anyone's decision that day.....

Hi folks.  Fall came in on the date I had scheduled it, September 1.  Turned quite cool for a few days then had a few more days we had to turn the air back on.   Now we have settled into fall very nicely with warm & dry days and coolish nights.  I love fall.  The garden is still producing so its tomatoes, okra and peppers in some form at every meal.  

@RosemaryF433825  I find it disturbing to watch re-airing of 9/11 even without ever having been there.   It was bad enough to watch when it happened.  The continuous discussion of current Afghanistan  is compounding  the effect.  Very bad optics for the memorial ceremonies.  

Bronze Conversationalist

@LaDolceVita  During 60 Minutes, which of course was dedicated to 9/11 as well, they aired actual discussions of a couple of 911 calls from people still in the upper towers that couldn't be reached, as well as conversations between fire fighters who were trying to design a plan for getting people out.  And during the "live" conversations between rescue teams, you could hear a "hard banging" sound every so often.  When fire fighters were asked what it was making the sound?  It was from those who had leapt to their deaths landing in the streets.  I will never, EVER forget that sound as long as I live.  At that point, I had to turn off all reporting....even the airing of the ceremonies, but for Bush's speech.  Even now, it disturbs me to write this...

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , your story is very similar to George Bush.  Remember he was in a class of second graders when his chief of staff came in and whispered in his ear?  He did his best to keep his cool in front of the students, before he finally excused himself.  And still, he and the teachers tried to shield the students from the unfolding horror and the gathering media.

I bet it's hard to imagine all those 6-year olds are young adults now.

@catwoman500, @MsStretch   I was wondering about you guys when the storm went north.  To tell the truth we were treated so gently by Ida that I thought it had petered out.  Those poor people in the basement apartments.  I imagine they didnt know what hit them.

@RosemaryF433825   I am in NW Ga soon to be in N Ga 😆.  Cooler & windier there.  I love the south, hate hot humid summers.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, all,

Weather service has confirmed that there were 7 tornadoes in my area on Wednesday. No wonder everything was going crazy! 130 mph winds in the one that came the closest to me. The news footage of the local area is just unbelievable. I sit here and just shake my head wondering how our little town was spared. We did get 8-10 inches of rain. Up to 6 was the prediction.

Before we know it...Before we know it...

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

We are enjoying a gorgeous day today…bright sunshine and comfortable temps with low humidity. Wish I had a place to go to enjoy it other than my porch. But coffee on the porch was a very nice way to start the day.

Stepson worked on more of the siding today and closed up his only entrance to the addition, so that means on Monday my bedroom wall comes down. Not exactly sure what is planned, but my bed may be moved to the living room. Yikes. I don’t do well with sleeping changes, so this will be something to get used to. LOL

It’s kind of hard to believe that 9-11 happened 20 years ago tomorrow. Every year we are reminded of the people that were lost and the ones who gave their lives as first responders, but 20 years? Wow!

Does everyone remember where they were when it all started to happen? I do remember it was a gorgeous day…kind of like today. I was in my classroom when the phone rang. It was one of the upper grade teachers telling me what was going on and saying not to turn on the classroom TV. It was hard to turn back to a class full of 6 year olds and carry on as usual. In a few hours some of the parents showed up to get their kids. Some of our parents were military families and those were mostly the ones that came to pick up their kids. Kids were very confused as to what was going on.

Enjoy the weekend and remember the brave souls of 9-11.

sunshine dog.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , wow, glad to hear you survived the scary Ida ride!

I lucked out.  Other than a little more rain (and not even particularly heavy) last night, Ida skirted around to the NW of us and dead into PA and on to NJ and NY.  (For once, I'm glad I'm close to the I-95 corridor.)

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , VA sounds like PA for now.  Rain came down hard about an hour ago, wind picked up, and that **bleep** alert ⚠ screeched on my phone -- tornado warning! 🌪  Lordy!  Head for the bunker. (If there was a bunker.)  Rain passed fairly quickly, followed by a dollop of sun, and now it is starting to look ominous out there again.  At least, the tornado warning has expired.

Flooding not a concern at my current location (got flooded out at last location across street), but all these trees still make me nervous.

Hang tight everyone.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP