CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL July  September 2021
CLOSED
USE OCTOBER  DECEMBER 2021

Good morning everyone on this FRIDAY morning July 2nd, 2021. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

@catwoman500 

Glad everyone mostly survived storms, had to do a reset earlier favorite snowbird mechanic passed in FL.

Swear I heard him cussing out my nieces choice for a Ford Mustang from his garage next door. Chevy and classics only allowed.

Bunker is bathtub (claw foot maybe) fiberglass don’t think so, or  under 12” beams in basement. Personally I want to shelter in neighbors wine cellar, 100 foot higher on a hill and 4’ foot thick concrete and granite.

We got another 3” of rain, wind maybe don’t remember, fell asleep listening to Jean Shepherd stories and awoke to sunshine.

@RosemaryF433825 

Think we’ve mostly been “bleeped” here, not a worry.

When politics were allowed on the boards I bleeped quite abit.

Emoji’s allowed, everything else is a 💩or 🎲 🎲 shoot.🤣 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Holy cow, Porch Peeps!

Snoopy and sun.jpg

@MsStretch @DaveMcK @Frozenoem @RosemaryF433825 @LaDolceVita 

My image above says it all!

What a wild ride that was last night. Sure glad they are retiring the name Ida and will never use it for another storm!

I’m very lucky and am thanking God. This whole Philly area is a total mess. Rivers are still rising on this sunny morning.

It was so scary last night. In total I received 17 alerts on my phone for tornado and flash flood warning. Go to your basements! Get to the lowest floor of your house. Get in the bathtub. YIKES! The worst part was when they reported a tornado seen in the town next to mine, heading our way. Then the news kept tracking all the places where at least 3 tornadoes were…so very close to me! One was a double tornado!

Tens of thousands lost power. Over 30,000 in my county still out. I didn’t lose power for one minute…miracle. Basement is dry…new sump pump working overtime, but it didn’t need to switch to the battery.

Phone lit up with texts from friends last night and this morning. Trees down, lost roofs, lost siding, porch pillars gone, power out...one friend not getting it back until Saturday. Train stopped on the way home from friend’s daughter’s commute home. Stepson’s nephew stuck at school because his parents had dropped him off that day…security guy kept telling him to leave, but where was he supposed to go? Parents live on other side of flooded river. So my stepson finally was able to go get him and he slept at their house last night.

Just a total destruction everywhere! Worst people have ever seen. They are telling people to stay out of Philly. Don’t even attempt to come into the city.

Other than my backyard being one big mud slick from the construction, the new addition is bone dry! Thank goodness those windows came in early. Otherwise stepson would have had to put plywood up and then take it down, and still who’s to say water wouldn’t have crept in anyway? The noise I heard last night was just a piece of downspout that was laying on the roof blowing to the ground. At least it didn’t become projectile! Being surrounded by tornado activity last night was just so unbelievable.

Just got a call from the friend who lost the siding. They are in Cape May (NJ) on vacation. Supposed to come home tomorrow, and were going to come home today, but roads around their house are closed with trees down everywhere.

I sure hope all of you had no damage and are safe and dry.

Pledge alleigiance to coffee.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500  Thank heaven's you're ok, cat woman!   I've been watching lots of weather news lately, and I truly feel for you!   I've been through many of what you have...and multiple times at that.  Flooding, total loss of power for days, multiple tornados, super high winds, NO built-in sump pump!!!   It's **bleep** (am I allowed to write the "d" word here?) SCARY!!!!  Helpless feeling!   We even had an "inland hurricane" in my state this Summer!   

I am sooooo glad you are alright!   Please, stay safe and know I am with you in spirit!!

--Rosemary

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening everyone on this Tuesday evening August 31, 2021.

71315842 (1).jpeg

11767e73730b980302cae4b37f0cda4f.jpg

Who Created Labor Day?

In the wake of this massive unrest and in an attempt to repair ties with American workers, Congress passed an act making Labor Day a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories. On June 28, 1894, President Grover Cleveland signed it into law. More than a century later, the true founder of Labor Day has yet to be identified.

Many credit Peter J. McGuire, cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, while others have suggested that Matthew Maguire, a secretary of the Central Labor Union, first proposed the holiday.

11767e73730b980302cae4b37f0cda4f.jpg

labor-day-gettyimages-1168817291.jpg

Who Created Labor Day?

In the wake of this massive unrest and in an attempt to repair ties with American workers, Congress passed an act making Labor Day a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories. On June 28, 1894, President Grover Cleveland signed it into law. More than a century later, the true founder of Labor Day has yet to be identified.

Many credit Peter J. McGuire, cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, while others have suggested that Matthew Maguire, a secretary of the Central Labor Union, first proposed the holiday.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

welcome september.jpg

Hello, Porch Peeps!

@MsStretch , @Frozenoem 

Yes, I’m assuming that that is the new code (for PA anyway) otherwise I’m pretty sure my stepson would have gotten windows to match the other one in the existing part of the bedroom instead of having to replace that one since it’s on the same wall as the new one and would look kind of odd if the windows were different sizes. Learning something new every day here! This "old house" really needs to be brought up to a lot of codes! Thank goodness I'll be getting more electrical outlets! This 2 outlet bedroom has been driving me nuts for years! 😾 And an exhaust fan in the bathroom will be wonderful. Have never had one of those! Oh, also...the existing bathroom electric outlet only works when the light is on...so old fashioned!

And, yes…the flooding is what they are worrying about the most here, too. Be safe!

Yep, full basement that I’ve hated since we moved here in ’83. Had a basement growing up, too, and never like to go down there either. We are not talking nice redone rec-room type basements… I call it a cellar although it does have a cement floor, not dirt! There are 4 windows in this basement.

Stepson arrived this AM in the rain, but it has stopped for now. He brought a battery back-up sump pump and installed it! YAY! They are saying we may have power outages today when the storms kick in. One of my fears has always been that if the power goes out, the sump pump stops. Then he was called away because his church has a leak in the roof. He should be back…I hope he’ll be back.

Ha! He just pulled in. YAY!

You all stay safe especially if you are in the path of these floods from Ida.

coffee super power.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Big box stores here are still Re-stocking after Covid shut down, costs shot up for everything.

Understand old houses to much. 1860 2nd and third  floor (timber framed) and 1920 first floor (balloon framed 2x6”)- the money floor, after good year of farming.🤣

Built atop a 10x 20 foot granite basement with dirt floors and 40x20 foot crawl space. Hate/love old construction, thank gawd already insulated the place when still flexible.

They do make egress up/down’ers (sash Windows) but, have been on back order everywhere for months. My niece in Boston has been looking and might get in January.🤣Course she needs to build a new front wall in basement before she can replace the side windows. I know enough to be legal and dangerous.🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 , I live in Virginia, about halfway between D.C. and Richmond.  

@Frozenoem , Gov. Northram has already declared state of emergency, but southwestern VA  and the I-81 and I-66 corridors are particularly susceptible to dangerous flooding since it's been seeing heavy rainfall for days and Ida will further impact the area.  I am on the I-95 corridor, but not that we haven't seen heavy rains, too and flash flood warnings continue to abound.  Hunkering down.

@catwoman500 , are the swing-out windows required by code, too?  No more up-and-downers?  Been a loooooong time since I worked in construction field, so not up on building codes, but admit I never heard of size requirements or gave it a thought.  Interesting.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Thought swing out dbl. hung or casement were only a requirement for new or remodels in cities for egress from full basements.

Sounds like @catwoman500  has full height basement with window well??

Hasn’t hit as requirement in country remodels yet, thank gawd. The granite would be a bugger to move.

Hmmm, have a granite sliver from barn foundation to measure. Need a new front step to the mud room or porch.

It’s been protecting the oil fill , for last 20 years.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@MsStretch  So you are an Easterner, Ms Stretch!   Cool!   

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

My goodness!  With all the cataract surgeries among you, I will know just who to come to for advice when I have mine....although it may be a long while yet!  Glad to hear you are all doing so well...very encouraging for me!!

I have no idea where all everyone lives  (except for Frozen who is in Mass.), but I hope and pray for any of you who are either in the path of the hurricane down South, or anyone who will suffer any affects from it.  Truly, be safe!!!

--Rosemary

Honored Social Butterfly

66* and thunderstorms are coming, some counties in Maine still down on water (drought). Fortunate our totals are gaining.

@RosemaryF433825 

Re: Cataracts you’ll always find a growing % of people here or elsewhere in AARP asking about surgeries and others chipping in after surgery. With good surgeons it’s a walk in the park.

Re: MAssachusetts, educated and lived there until 29 years old, now it’s only Maine with a few trips OUTCONUS to EU.

As of this year - 41 years in Maine, coast or mountains. Preference given to mountains👍

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

Oh!  My mistake then.  Sorry about that!  Thought you were still in MA.  I'm sure it's beautiful where you !   

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 

No problem, their are times when I forget where I was hatched.

As far as I recall Stretch is VA, Catwoman is PA, don’t shoot me LaDolce GA or KY, I may be getting older.

@catwoman500 

@MsStretch 

Y’all might like to batten down the hatches where you live Ida seems to be on Eastward trek, inland to NY and then perhaps another try for MA and ME.

My back is busy cussing at me as I type.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey all,

Yep…Ida’s rain and winds will be a-headin’ this way tomorrow into Thursday. Not looking forward to that. Yesterday my stepson got a new window cover for the basement window that has been taking on rainwater since the backyard has been disturbed. He also rigged a temporary downspout and secured it with rocks at the bottom, so the new construction should be fairly safe.

Windows for the addition came in yesterday and he was able to pick them up and put them in this AM, so at least it may stay dry in there. It’s been a long time since I had new windows put in anywhere. These are so big, but apparently the rules have changed, and the windows have to accommodate emergency personnel. They will open out rather than up and down like the old double hung windows.

Got a frosted one for the bathroom window thank goodness since the bathroom is now closer to the neighbor’s house. LOL 😳

@Frozenoem …my open windows didn’t last long…had to put the AC back on yesterday. Your temps sound refreshing! Yep…I’m in PA… Born and raised, and still here.

@LaDolceVita …loving those veggies. Save some for me!

Stay safe!

monkey words and coffee.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

The joy of new and improved AARP wiped out most of my PM’s here and any memories of locations🤣 where people live or what their computers are.

Between former AARP and text, emails, etc think it may be time to retire.Won’t know that until January.

72* presently and time to prepare for a rough month ahead.

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

Boy I can feel that humid air from Ida.  A cool down on Tuesday but perhaps very humid with the rain from the hurricane. Fall air on Wednesday.  

Doing very well after the cataract surgeries.  The garden is at its peak and we have to eat a version of ratatouille almost every day.   Gets old but when the season is over I miss it because I have to think of what to cook again.  I do not have to think now, just chop.

Honored Social Butterfly

I had the clouding in one eye.  Yep, a quickie zap to clear up.  Took about a minute.  They call the procedure a YAG. Happens to 1 in 5 cataract patients my doc told me.

I remember my YAG was first scheduled for end of March of last year and then the country shut down.  It was rescheduled for end of April and they did it then.  I was surprised as we were still sheltering in place.  About 6 patients in the whole building, and it took a couple of hours to wade through the inevitable eye tests and paperwork and wait, wait, wait some more, and then bing! bang! boom! and I was outta there in under 10 minutes.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Thanks Stretch, totally forgot the name of capsulectomy . Brain hasn’t been that sharp since year of lockdown. Have to reread most everything or at least scan 💩 I used to know.

Now it’s time to add some tunes to my phone, slowly copying my tapes, LP’s to digital and HDD.🤣Keep finding them, cleaning is a dangerous thing to do😀

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning Porchers,

I lasted almost a cup of coffee’s time on my porch this morning. It was 84 at 10 AM and felt like 91 . @Frozenoem …same heat wave here. Set to break this weekend hopefully.

Stepson is in the basement destroying what’s left of the basement bathroom after the company that installed the sump pump a billion years ago destroyed some of it and made it inoperable. So, that is one unnecessary eyesore that will be gone.

The addition is coming along. I’ll get 2 days reprieve this weekend with not having to set the alarm for 6 AM. He’s helping someone who has ALS tomorrow, and then Saturday they take their oldest back to college.

@RosemaryF433825 …maybe looking at all the Christmas artwork will help you think of cooler weather! ☃️

@MsStretch …Thanks…It’s good to know about all the eye experiences we’ve had…helps us know what may be coming for each of us.

Weird…my Philadelphia Inquirer didn’t arrive this AM…New York Times instead! Hope there’s a crossword puzzle in there other than the New York Times Crossword puzzle. I like to be able to complete the puzzle, not feel stupid. Are there comics? I’ll have to look.

Oh, speaking of feeling stupid/smart…have any of you been watching the College Bowl? They brought it back this summer with hosts Peyton Manning and his older brother, Cooper. I have been enjoying it and am realizing I really haven’t lost as much brain power as I thought!! LOL I actually feel pretty smart when I can answer a few question that these genius college kids can’t! Some of the answers that pop out of my mouth…yes I do answer out loud…I have no idea where they come from!

On that note, you all have a great weekend. Stay cool and dry, but hydrated!

Pledge alleigiance to coffee.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Hey Catwoman!!

Yes, the Christmas artwork coming in is getting me all excited and giving me cool thoughts.   I mean you see things like angels and elves and snowmen...how can you help not to, right?

I feel ya on the newspaper crosswords.  It's no fun when you can't even get past the first clue.  Ha!   I've been getting into those variety puzzle paperback/magazines.  There's some doozy puzzles in those, but at least if you can't get the Sudoku, you can go on to a different kind of puzzle. I'm digging the variety.  (Ok, so I admit to needing all the help I can get sometimes.  So sue me!).   Hahahahahaha!   😂

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@RosemaryF433825 

Finally comfy temps are here, need to open bdrm. Windows and Storms for air.

Presently 76* and no humidity 👍

Tonight 40-50*, it’s about time, I can actually work in the garage without expiring.

Better than 96* outside and 110* in the garage.🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

91* with oppressive humidity, ac is on👍
Hope to be back to semi-normal weather next week.

Can’t help you with missing newspapers but, if you enjoy crosswords and have a smartphone, Your covered.

Download a free app by Redstone games, titled Crosswords. Easy to Hard.

It has ads but, not to bad only appear when you solve another. And don’t need to erase the pen ink. 

Great for pincushion days, when tunes aren’t called for.

Time for expresso and massage.🤣Oopsie with my neck.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

Greetings, All!

I have been up to my kneecaps in invoices and cardboard with all the boxes and boxes of Christmas artwork my artists have been shipping to me for my gallery, lately!   But it's been great fun oohing and ahhhing over all the beautiful art I'll have for sale over the holidays!

To my dear friends who are in the path of the hurricanes and torrential rains, I am with you in spirit...truly!   

For those of you having cataracts removed, I'm glad you are seeing in a different and better light, now!  I have them on both of my eyes, but doc says they are way too small to remove yet.  Why don't they remove them as soon as they notice them?  I don't know.  But whenever I'm scheduled, I will indeed be terrified as my eyesight is my current "bread and butter."  I may have to fly out some of you experienced ones to hold my hands when the time comes!!!!

The temps have been all over the place here...cooler and nicer or really hot and humid.  Will be glad when Fall finally makes her appearance for real!

Stay safe and know you are being though of.

Fondly...

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 

Our Hurricane Drought remains 👍 none since 1991. It rained and rained and rained👍.

Temp’s in the 90’s, not a fan of heat or humidity. AC is blessing and curse.

Re: why they don’t do when dots are small, you still have vision. When the lightning streaks, blobs start occurring in your field of vision. That’s when surgery is required, new permanent contact lenses.🤣

Least I discovered my retinas were happily attached👍, 30 years ago at MEEI it was high risk of detachment.

If memory serves me right you only get one shot at surgery for both eyes, thereafter it’s laser, if clouding starts again.

I’ll know if that’s right or wrong in another month or so.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Henri made landfall in RI, but came in as a tropical storm.  The real danger is the storm surge and heavy rains expected to continue to inundate the area.  Henri not done yet, turned NE towards NJ, NY, MA.

Hot and humid here in VA, but I'll gladly take it over Henri.

Don't let any wind gusts suck out the AC out your window, @Frozenoem .

😅 Just had picture of you chasing AC through the woods. 🌲🏃🌲

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

I’ll pull the AC if needed and drain it. No problem😇.

Chasing won’t happen, unless I tie on an anchor chain. I’ve become too light 160, so much for resolutions, former 50 lb. wheel of cheddar didn’t help!

Normal rain coming at 5pm, tropical storm is roll of the dice 🎲 🎲. Live in mtns but, an hour 

from ocean as crow flies.

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

I was thinking of you guys in the storm's path, but I am not up to date on what the current forecast is.   We did not get much from Fred, just a bit of rain.

Had the cataract  surgery on the right eye.  Piece of cake, this one.   No problem with lights, the following day was like I did not even have anything done.  The first one I had had gritty feeling at first and cloudy areas.  There was no pain with either eye though.  All well now, supposedly 20/20 in both eyes.  However it is not the same as when you are in your 20's with 20/20 vision.  It takes awhile to focus.   I have to remind myself to take it easy by wearing safety glasses.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , glad to hear you breezed through the 2nd go-round.  Give your eyes a month to settle down and adjust to their 'new groove' and your eyes will feel like 20 again! 😎

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Haven’t checked forecast , had to work🙄.

it’s comfortable but, drippy with a breeze. AC is getting a workout, before being pulled from Window if winds pick up.

Figure it’s safer IF, only held in by plastic curtains and a couple of screws.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

@MsStretch …If all goes as planned, I’ll get my flu shot at the doc in Oct, and that should be enough time lapsed for my COVID booster which I’ll be eligible for in early Dec. And, yes...hopefully we'll not have to hunt around for the shots this time.

The addition and all that goes along with it seems like it will take forever. I have to take one day at a time or I’ll go bonkers.

@Frozenoem...  Sounds like you are prepared for the worst as always.

YES! Cheese, please…it’s on the top 5 foods I wouldn’t like to live without!

I think my car is safe in my crumpled and cracked driveway. The dumpsters and the truck that they come and go on have destroyed my already bad driveway and have taken out a couple of low branches. Today no extra water came in the basement window well like it did last week, so we didn’t get hit too badly with rain last night. We’ll have rain off and on through tomorrow. Need the AC because of the darn humidity.

Masks worn in most stores around here now. No requirement yet, but signs say masks are encouraged for all customers vaccinated or not.

@DaveMcK …your food pix make my mouth water. Out to breakfast yesterday and because I had a salad when I was out to lunch on Friday, I treated myself to BACON yesterday…so worth it! 🥓🥓

@LaDolceVita …so happy to hear your second surgery went so well! 👓

Everyone stay safe!

Good afternoon, actually!Good afternoon, actually!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP