CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL July  September 2021
CLOSED
USE OCTOBER  DECEMBER 2021

Good morning everyone on this FRIDAY morning July 2nd, 2021. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Decided it was easier to have doc on standby to translate into English just what the heck tests were.

Went to bed smelling smoke, killed AC , woke up to being in the tailpipe of Western wildfire smoke alert. Guess it will smell like Winter for another day.

78* and cloudy with some rain coming👍, maybe we’ll lose smoke sooner.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Have you been sick, Froze?  You keep talking about doctors and such.  (Concerned look here!)

Trusted Social Butterfly

Yeah @Frozenoem …I started to notice the haze yesterday after the hairdressers. Next thing was the news on TV telling us it was coming from West coast fires. Rain today is supposed to help with that and also usher in some nice, less humid weather.

Got out to lunch and back just fine, but right now, just missed a bad storm that passed by us on its way into Philly and NJ. Lots of thunder, a little wind and some insignificant rain. They keep breaking in to the programming to say the winds were 80 mph.  😮  Luckily that passed to our west and hit the town on the other side of us. Sun is out just now, but for how long?

Y'all take care! ❤️

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , when we were kids, everything was a grand adventure.  Roll the windows down and let the wind in your hair (and everyone else's). 😄 Not sure, but did vehicles even have AC back in the day?  I remember the station wagons and all us kids fighting to see who gets to sit in those little seats waaay in the back.  I remember the ones that faced each other.  And no seat belts! 😲

@williamb39198 , can't help but remember road trips with fondness, but more traffic, faster vehicles, more reckless behavior, more interstates, and the old thrill is gone.  You even get on one of those designated 'scenic highways' and you've got someone dead on your rear bumper.  I hate driving nowadays.  Feel like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I hit the road and I still drive a stick, so that stop-and-go traffic just doesn't cut it anymore.

Honored Social Butterfly

75* and sunny with no humidity?. I’ll be a skinny pincushion for another 6 months of appointments??.

The earliest I remember AC in cars was my aunt’s Buick something in ‘56. Mere mortals on hot days were relegated to back seats in our 57 Chevy vinyl  & cloth seats fun, or if really lucky cousin or uncles Triumph or MG convertible. Top down @50-60 it’s cool at 80*.

Only actual AC’s we had before 2000 we’re in RV’s, turn on generator and crank it up, kept dogs and humans happy.

Time to clean house, have a friend actually coming up from Boston for first time in 2 years🤣.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Everyone,

Ugh! The humidity is gross, so uncomfortable. Slept great Saturday night, but got out of bed and started getting clammy skin, so on went the AC and it’s been on since yesterday AM. Couldn’t even open the windows last night…warm wet air was right there in your face.

@Frozenoem …hope you had/will have a nice visit with your friend. It’s great finally getting together with your peeps. A couple of us are planning a lunch with someone we haven’t seen in almost 2 years.

Not much going on around here…just the normal routine.

I hope some of you are so busy doing some fun things that that’s why it’s so quiet here on the “porch.”

Monday cat.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Visit will continue for awhile👍Rain free 78* and sunny day with no humidity.

We took a slow hike to old camp today, only 3 miles in and back out again. At least this time it was pure pleasure, missed the lakes.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Saturday morning, Peeps!

@MsStretch …I was actually thinking about the hair blowing all over the place when I wrote that! LOL

When I was in high school, back in the 60’s, we had a convertible, and man, what that could do to your hair especially if it was long like mine was. It was so tangled it was painful to try and brush or comb it after a ride in the car. 🙀

@Frozenoem …hope you made out OK at the doc’s and didn’t get stuck too much! 📍📍

Was happy to have my coffee on the porch earlier. Very humid still, but it was only 72. Looks like we’ll only be in the 80’s today with sun in and out. Nice to hear the birds first thing too.

Enjoy your day!

birds chirping.gif

YEP!YEP!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch!

We did get a strong storms last  night. Most of the storm damage was Northeast and Southeast of here.

We have had smoke laden air which has come from wild fires in Western Canada.

Hopefully people will realize that this Virus is different from the one that we first experienced in March of 2020.

Also they must be ready for it to take on new forms again and again until people are vaccinated. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Thursday am yeesh up for Dr’s appointment, 2 hours away. 56* and raining, what else.

Here’s hoping livery arrives, feeling older than actual age today. If it doesn’t get officially hot, there may be a woodfire tonight.

Not on bbq but in stove🤣.

Time to prepare to be a pincushion again, what will it be more tests or an actual answer.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

First time in over a year, I actually went to visit friends out-of-state!  Last Monday, went south to NC.  About 15 miles S from home on I-95 sitting in heavy traffic, I heard a high-pitched screeching sound.  WTF?  Was that me?  Checked gauges for anomalies and saw AC light blinking and pushed it off.  Screech stopped.  Oh heck (<<< very sanitized version). 🤬  Do I turn around?  I turned up the fan, rolled down the windows, broke free of the local city commuter traffic, and kept on getting it.  It was a long HOT ride. 🥵 (Brought back some old traveling memories when I was younger, more resilient, and never had AC.)

Asked my friends in NC if they could recommend a mechanic and he made a few phone calls, but no one available until the following week.  *sighs*  Was hoping I'd have better luck in a smaller town in NC than I would've back home during the week before a holiday and end of month, but alas... 😞

Nonetheless, had a fun visit.  Even went to see fireworks on Friday night.  (???  Don't ask why so early; I did, but no one was sure.  Maybe the outfit putting on the show had commitments elsewhere for Sat. and Sun. 🤷)

Came back yesterday.  Knew it was a fed holiday.  Knew I would hit some traffic, hoping to at least get closer to Fredericksburg, VA before it would get ugly, but oh no, came off I-85 to I-95 in Petersburg before Richmond and it was on the rest of the way (stop...creep...go...creep some more...stop...go...stop).  HOT!  HOT!  HOT!  It was in the 90s. Hard to roll down windows when you're not moving very fast to generate much air and you're breathing exhaust from around you.  I survived though and fell out on my air conditioned floor when I got home with my indoor furkid to give me welcome-home-where-have-you-been nudgies. 🥰😻 

Honored Social Butterfly

Road trip highlights! Glad that you made  it back okay.

It certainly seems, as I get older, road trips do become less frequent…still enjoyable, just less frequent. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Gotta love a sanitized car troubles post, we’ve all been there.🤣

My last was in 2000 with a brand new Ram TDI sitting in the garage we took our small cramped Raider to Boston with wife, and 2 very furry Rotties and no AC. Starter died in middle of parking lot at 110* in the shade of nowhere.Three hours sitting and waiting for mechanic to take us in.And many bottles of water for dogs and people.

It was retired from long drives after we returned. The TDI 6-cyl became happy transport vehicle, for both humans and dogs, with AC joy of joys.

Spent my holiday avoiding people, dodging rain and breathing doubt if temperature broke 70* .Presently considering turning on AC or removing it in case of Elsa winds. No fireworks here 👍  rained out and ban in other towns.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Howdy, Porch Peeps!

@MsStretch ...I can imagine what I'd be saying if that had happened to me. UGH!

Really, what did we do on those hot summer trips in the car when we were kids? Didn't know any better I guess. It was what it was. Now we are so spoiled it's like we can't breathe in that hot air. We are in the middle of an air quality alert as it is.

Glad you got to see some pretty fireworks. I do miss that. Where I was on the Fourth, all we heard was awful, constant for at least an hour, loud firecrackers that were all noise, no prettiness. There were several places where you could have gone to see them...at least some of the towns had them this year, but not my town or the areas really close by.

@Frozenoem ...That was an odd weather day for some of us. We had the rain sun rain sun on Saturday, but the Fourth was nice...sunny and not too hot. Today was stifling!

Hope no one gets any damage from the Elsa backlash! They say our main concern is flooding.

We did enjoy our game night until those loud cannon type boomers made us jump out of our seats.

Today a couple of my friends and I went back to Del Val University to se a one-man show of George Burns called Say Goodnight Gracie. Honestly, the actor had the voice down pat, and you could almost believe he was actually George Burns. He took us from his early childhood until his 100th birthday. It was really well done and we enjoyed it. We also learned a few things that no one knew before about George and Gracie.

You all stay safe from storms, heat, and whatever! Stay hydrated!

coffee dignified.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone on the Front Porch@

Hoping everyone has had a blessed 4th of July weekend! We had a few fireworks displays we could see from our South facing windows. Our Red, White and Blue Granddaughter is happy about her first Independence Day Day.

FB_IMG_1625453320613.jpg

FB_IMG_1625453346279.jpg

FB_IMG_1625453370947.jpg

FB_IMG_1625453362945.jpg

FB_IMG_1625453380864.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning to Everyone on the Front Porch! Happy 4th of July Everyone! I hope you have a wonderful day and evening spent with Family and Friends! Keep safe keep the faith and keep smiling. God bless you all! God bless America. Happy Sunday Everyone. Peace and tranquility be yours always.

FB_IMG_1625405011037.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405021724.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405048214.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405062667.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405078635.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405086667.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405161528.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405172113.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405195038.jpg

FB_IMG_1625405210314.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Have a sparkling day!Have a sparkling day!

Happy Fourth of July, Porch Peeps!

Yesterday was a weird one… highs in the 60’s; sun, rain, sun, rain, sun, rain.

Today promises to be nice. It’s a comfy, sunny 75 right now and it looks like we might avoid any rain with a high near 80. So unusual for the Fourth of July!

Three of us “Game Night Girls” plan on getting together to play games for the first time in about 18 months! Two of us are bringing the wine and the appetizer and dessert, then we’ll order some take-out.

Hope I can stay awake…had one of “those nights” last night….no trouble falling asleep, but then about 1:30 AM a volley of fireworks started up. Geez! Had a hard time getting back to sleep and then about 3 AM another loud boom. Last time I looked at the clock it was 5 AM and my alarm was going off at 6.

May I have an IV of coffee, please?

I expected a crowd at the grocery store this morning, but it was like normal. Guess for a change everyone was prepared for the holiday (unless there will be a run this afternoon for those forgotten items.) LOL

You all enjoy your holiday. Remember…no USPS regular deliveries tomorrow. Post offices closed. 🇺🇸

We won’t have trash collected either, so check your town’s policy.

Snoopy 4th of july gif.gif

Bronze Conversationalist

@DaveMcK   Thank you for starting us off with a new set of months to post, Dave!   Happy fourth to you and Mrs. Dave.  

And HAPPY FOURTH TO ALL THE REGULAR AND VERY COOL POSTERS HERE!!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Friday July 2, thanx Dave.

It’s World UFO day and this picture isn’t.

B46A3661-5DCA-4D63-8BE2-42D1FC3C5DE0.jpeg

It’s a fire rainbow or scientific name - circumhorizontal arc maybe, formed by ice crystals.

We’ve gone from hotter than heck, to comfy,58* amazing what rain can do with a cold front following it.

Threatens to warm up again in next several days after rains pass.

Enjoy all, I need to mow if grass is dry it’s gone to seed. The drought may have ended after our soaker.👍

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   I've never seen one of those before, Frozen.  Very cool!!!  Thanks for sharing!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello July.jpg

Hello, Folks!

Thanks @DaveMcK  for opening up our Morning Roll Call for the coming months.

@Frozenoem ... how cool is that fire rainbow? WOW!

Yep, amazing drop in our temps, too, after the storms went through. Yay for open windows again! Not sure how long the "real air" will last. We may heat up to normal again after the weekend.

Loved having my coffee on the front porch again this morning. It was even a little chilly at 70, but it felt darn good. 😸

Enjoy the beginning of the holiday weekend! 🇺🇸 🎆

and brother!and brother!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP