Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Spoiler

Closed

Good morning everyone on this Friday morning January 1, 2021

20210101_104440.jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this January 1, 2021!

Ringing in 2021 at San Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome. Credit...Antonio Masiello/Getty Images

A difficult year comes to a muted end

Most places in the world, from a virtually coronavirus-free New Zealand to an Ireland in lockdown, have now greeted the arrival of 2021.

In Auckland, a fireworks show and parties went on as usual. The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, enjoyed boisterous festivities. But in general, celebrations were muted — or virtual — as the world bade good riddance to a difficult year. In most cities, there were no roaring crowds, no gatherings for fireworks shows and, let’s hope, no strangers kissing at midnight.

Though Madrid eased its curfew for the night from midnight to 1:30 a.m., people were told to stay at home as much as possible, to eat the traditional New Year’s Eve grapes while watching events on TV (and gathering in groups of no more than six). London’s Big Ben, largely silent in recent years as its clock tower underwent renovations, rang 12 times at midnight. And in Paris, the only people roaming the Champs-Élysées were some of the 100,000 police officers deployed around the country to prevent crowds from gathering.

20201229_161148.jpg01ambriefing-europe-italy-lede-jumbo.jpg133688674_1783630068463669_3995358453950074551_o.jpg118959268_2787619294790458_2039857887100020463_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1460118275042.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch! 

Good morning America! We are looking at a new round of snow starting around noon today with an accumulation of 2 to 4 inches by the morning tomorrow.

FB_IMG_1615818874087.jpg

FB_IMG_1615818888964.jpg

FB_IMG_1615818901443.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Good Morning Dave, and Everyone!

I woke up early to the sounds of freezing rain beating heavily against the windows.  The rain has turned to a very blustery, heavy snowfall. The predictions are 4 to 7 inches of snow for my area.    Thank heavens I don't need to try leaving the house today!   

It makes me a bit sad to look out and see tulip and hyacinth leaves that were pushing up out of the ground, now being coated with snow.  But that's life in Iowa;  it's been known to snow even in April...rarely in May.   It just makes me yearn for a trip to the greenhouses even more!!

Hope everyone is fine and looking forward to the start of a new week.

Cheers!     🤗

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good morning/afternoon to everyone! Another Monday already. The weather in DC has turned cold again. This morning it was a cool 32 degrees when I woke up. The good news is that it's a sunny day, and things are going to warm back up soon. I hope the rosebush by the front door of my building is handling the weather fluctuations okay. Last week, buds appeared and I hope this cold spell doesn't affect the blooms.

I grew up in MN, @RosemaryF433825, so I understand the weird ways of March and Midwest winters. Hope the tulips and hyacinth are okay! My last winter in MN, it snowed on May 3rd. It was a tough time for my mental stamina. I was truly losing it.

Start your week off with a positive self-affirmation. Check out this week's Affirmation Tea and leave a reply to affirm for yourself. I hope it helps set you up for a wonderful week! 💖

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 , @DaveMcK …sorry to hear you are having some weather events. We’re cold again, but at least we have sun for now. We’ll be getting rain from Wednesday on it appears. I hate when a late snow spoils the flowers that are ready to come up. Keeping my fingers crossed that we have no more freezing type precip.

@Frozenoem …what a pickle to be in. Hope you can get some warmth going. I shivered just reading your post. As it is I have my fingerless gloves on in here with the temp set in here at 67.

Odd Monday today. No customers in the post office, and only 2 cars parked on the street in front.

Went to the candy store/factory in Hatboro (Stutz’s) They make their own candy. Last year the store part was closed because of COVID and I never got my dark chocolate eggs filled with strawberry cream. I may have whined a bit about that here. 😩 LOL

So anyway, I was determined to get them early. Funny how other things popped into my basket while I was there….chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies, peanut butter eggs, Irish potatoes….

I used to make my own Irish potatoes and Irish soda bread back in the day, but now it’s too much trouble. Theirs are close to how I made mine…no cream cheese.  OK, enough drooling on my part. Need to hide the Easter candy for now.

This AM I called my state representative to express my concerns about how difficult it is for seniors living alone with no advocates to get the vaccine appointments. She was in Harrisburg, but I talked to one of her minions, gave her my info, and am now on another waiting list. 😒

Have a good week, all!

St Patrick cat.gif

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500....Umm... made your own "Irish potatoes?"  Explain please?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Ro,

Best guess Irish potato bread, made some last night with butter for happiness.

It’s above zero for a change, it’s now 4 above a heat wave is coming.

TimE to empty the ash bucket, and fill anew. Yesterday was a constant burning day. But, furnace is working again.

Then I get to play with new program to recover a Mac🤣

Oh almost forgot today I saw my driveway again, next thing you know flowers may appear.🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone, Happy St. Patrick’s Day Eve!

@RosemaryF433825 …Irish potatoes are a candy made to look like little potatoes. There are many ways to make them. I just use a butter cream: confectioner’s sugar, butter, and coconut. Some people use cream cheese and some use actual mashed potatoes in theirs. UGH! Then you roll the candies in your hands. I usually make mine the size of a pecan in its shell…like a small egg shape/potato shape. Then you roll them in plain old cinnamon. (Kids usually don’t like them unless you use a cinnamon and sugar combo.) It’s kind of an adult taste to bite into the dry cinnamon to get to the sweet. I like to use a fork to put a few “eyes” so they look like miniature potatoes.

Yum!Yum!

St. Catrick.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   Happy St. Catrick's Day Eve to you too, Catwoman!

When you gave the list of candies, I thought "Irish potatoes" might be a type of sweet.  But then I'd never heard of them, so I thought I'd ask.  Thanks for satisfying my curiosity...and for the photo!!   😋

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Oh, People!

I have the best news... 😄

That call I made to my state representative’s office yesterday paid off.

The office just called me with a phone number to call. Called this guy and he has an appointment for me on Thursday at 1:30 behind the Police Station at the Community Center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I'm floating!

So...if you are having trouble like we are in this area, try calling your state rep. If you don't know who yours is, Google it. 

Happy Dance!Happy Dance!

Silver Conversationalist

Uhhh CatLady - May I ask what sorta appointment you got??  Is it for a job?  Maybe something political??

And, what sorta "trouble" are you folks having?  Whatever it is - I'm happy for you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@wilful , it's all about happy dancing over scoring a vaccine appointment!  

In certain states, some have had to jump through hoops including calling their reps to get the vaccine.  The roll-out was a little shaky, but hopefully, everyone will be doing a happy dance sans mask soon, once we reach that magical % for herd immunity.

Silver Conversationalist

AAHHHAAA - Well alrighty then; thanks for the explanation... That IS Good, HAPPY News!!  😀

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Happy Cat Vaccine DanceHappy Cat Vaccine Dance

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   You and your kitty photos just set me to laughing every time, cw!    

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Wahoo! Got my first vaccine!

This was amazing! For all the furtive steps I had to take to get this appointment, it was like the smoothest operating machine shop with super nice people manning the factory. LOL

I parked and saw no lines which was great since standing in line in the rain was not on my list of top 10 things to do today. Went inside and was greeted by a volunteer who steered me right up to a desk with 2 lines and only one lady ahead of me.

Meanwhile another gentleman explained what was going to happen. They checked me in after finding my name on the appointment list, photocopied my driver's license and Medicare card. Another lady took me in to a huge room set with tables, to a table where I sat and filled out a short form. They already had a paper with my next appointment on it ready for me. I got the Pfizer, so it's only 21 days until my next shot, same time, same place. They showed me my vaccine card which they keep until next time, but told me I could take a photo of it if I wanted. I did. 3 other people were seated at my table; it was a big table with 4 people. Another volunteer was assigned to tell us what happens next. In a few minutes nurses arrived at our table with a cart and we all got our shots and were told to stay there for 15 min. One of our tablemates timed us and we sat chatting until the time was up and we left. Very simple, and as I said, very well organized. By the time we left, the room was full and there was a line in the lobby.

I was texting with friends when I got home and one, referencing the the stealthy way I got the appointment asked who I had to deep six. I told her I hadn't received my hit list yet but was expecting it shortly LOL.

This may not seem like a big deal to those of you who are in states where the shots are easily obtained, but for us it's like a miracle, and I was euphoric driving home. After 2 months of checking websites 3-4 times daily, registering everywhere and anywhere possible, and making calls, today actually helps me believe things will eventually get back to normal sometime.

As of April 8th, I will be fully vaccinated!

You all stay safe!

Honored Social Butterfly

My sister, same state as I but different health district, just received her 1st dose of Moderna yesterday, 2 weeks after I received my second shot.  She pre-registered at the VDH (Virginia Health Dept.) just like I did, but she did so after I did, when VA decided to decentralize the registration process and make it same for all residents rather than letting each district/county figure it out.  She also had to go 60 miles away from her home!  Whaa...???  😮 Nonetheless she was so happy to receive word she was up, she didn't care how far she had to go.

It is a wonderful feeling that far outweighs any sore arm or any other pesky little side effect, huh, @catwoman500 ?

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

@catwoman500 

@RosemaryF433825 

I’ll take the 91 miles each way to the big city at this stage, I just want the vaccine.

So, I can get on with life, and have everything else fixed that requires fixing.

And then after I receive the shot in my appointed place and only then , am I allowed to cancel the other lists I’m on. That was my WTF moment but, you do what you gotta do.

I need fire now it’s 20* and I may have a boo boo to attend to.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , definitely take care of the boo boo 🩹 especially if it's yours because you don't want to have to add a tetanus shot to the list.

Getting on with life -- magical words.  Who would've ever thought?  I might finally go visit close friends in NC (been well over a year).  They have also been fully vaccinated. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Tetanus shot is still working from last oopsie with chain saw.

This one just suggests that I need a new cleaner, different perspective involved when you fall down and go boom, and really examine your cleaners work.🤣

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   You know something.  It IS a big deal whether you had one heck of a time getting an appointment or whether you sailed right into it.  We all obviously want to stay safe for ourselves, our families, and each other.   And there's a certain piece of mind and heavy sigh of relief to know that we've gotten our vaccine.  So no apologies, cat woman.  You did good!  And I'm happy for ya!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , congratulations!  hi5

dance2 (This happy dance thing is addicting!) 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch , @RosemaryF433825 ...My head is just spinning with excitement...it feel like I won the lottery. 😻

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   Haha!  You are so cute, cat woman!  🤗

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy St. Patrick's day.gif

Top o’ the Mornin’ to all Porch Peeps! ☘️

It’s cloudy and misty here…kind of like Ireland!

Considering I had my luck of the Irish yesterday with the vaccine appointment, I’m not pressing my luck today and will be staying home. I plan to have my Irish coffee soon. I’ll wait to post this so I can add a photo of my drink making expertise. LOL Only problem is I don’t have any espresso, so I’ll have to use the boldest coffee I have and make the smallest amount so it’s richer. (It’s a little early in the day, so I’ll have to go light on the Jameson.) ☘️

So I’ve been thinking about how my vaccine appointment was obtained, and it really was like a secret door to get to the prize. I was thinking about how back in the 20’s, 30’s (only heard about this, didn’t experience) HA! during the era of the “speakeasies,” the back alley entrances, the sliding peepholes with a secret word to get in. I swear this was on the order of that. So the state representative calls me with a private phone number to this guy’s home. I call the number and ask for him by name, tell him how I got the number and tell him what I need. He asks if I was going to give this number to anyone else, and I said not sure if I’m allowed to. He didn’t answer that!  😏 So he says, yes, he can give me an appointment for 1:30 on Thursday at the community center, told me it would be the Pfizer version, told me to come 5 min early. It just seemed like a covert op. LOL. Has to be legit since the community center is in the same complex as the police station.

I will of course tell you what happens when I actually get there tomorrow.

OK…I’m back after making my Irish coffee. Sure hope you all have the luck of the Irish today, and that’s no Blarney!

Mmmm!Mmmm!

Happy St. Pat's!Happy St. Pat's!

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500   (Watching cat woman doing the happy dance!)

That's great news, cat woman!!   I'm happy for you!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Make that 2,for the vaccine, received the text this am.

Now only need to set up. Time and date.👍

And it looks like it’ll be warm, a plus .30* presently, easily accessible shoulder, means sweater weather.

Time to make the call.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   That's great Froze!  Happy for ya!

Honored Social Butterfly

Mildly annoying need to call back every morning to get appt. for vaccine.

30 sites available and only 2 are within 1 1/2 hours. Much as I’d love a celebratory lobster dinner, 4 hour ride to some locations, aren’t feasible for me.

Guess this may take awhile to figure out, where the vaccine will be coming from and when.

Beginning to wonder why I live in a 15 hour from end to end state.🤬 Or merely overthinking it.

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , shucks, I was getting ready to get out my dancing shoes again. 😦

Honored Social Butterfly

Ok 31* and happy dance can continue.

Made another call this AM and Did get appointment for Mar 23.👍

They also answered all questions for ID check, despite ID’s having expired.

I’m not the only one in that category. Or without utility bills with physical address vs P.O. Box.

Now I just need to schedule a pickup by livery service.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP