Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Spoiler

Closed

Good morning everyone on this Friday morning January 1, 2021

20210101_104440.jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this January 1, 2021!

Ringing in 2021 at San Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome. Credit...Antonio Masiello/Getty Images

A difficult year comes to a muted end

Most places in the world, from a virtually coronavirus-free New Zealand to an Ireland in lockdown, have now greeted the arrival of 2021.

In Auckland, a fireworks show and parties went on as usual. The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, enjoyed boisterous festivities. But in general, celebrations were muted โ€” or virtual โ€” as the world bade good riddance to a difficult year. In most cities, there were no roaring crowds, no gatherings for fireworks shows and, letโ€™s hope, no strangers kissing at midnight.

Though Madrid eased its curfew for the night from midnight to 1:30 a.m., people were told to stay at home as much as possible, to eat the traditional New Yearโ€™s Eve grapes while watching events on TV (and gathering in groups of no more than six). Londonโ€™s Big Ben, largely silent in recent years as its clock tower underwent renovations, rang 12 times at midnight. And in Paris, the only people roaming the Champs-ร‰lysรฉes were some of the 100,000 police officers deployed around the country to prevent crowds from gathering.

20201229_161148.jpg01ambriefing-europe-italy-lede-jumbo.jpg133688674_1783630068463669_3995358453950074551_o.jpg118959268_2787619294790458_2039857887100020463_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1460118275042.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Bronze Conversationalist

You need to have a government issued ID, proof of insurance card /Medicare card (considering the current age group that's up for getting the vaccine), and one other form of ID

in Iowa.  You also have to fill out an online application form that asks a whole bunch of questions before you can even get an appointment time.  

I got my #1 shot yesterday.  Arm a bit sore but not debilitating at all.

And by the way, MsStretch...you ARE looking spiffy today!  ๐Ÿ˜

Recognized Social Butterfly

HI folks.  Daffodils in full bloom now and if I could slow down I would take a few pics!   I just keep moving trying to do all that is necessary.    I am hoping for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine when my turn comes.  Only one jab.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Monday morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Our weatherman tells us we will have mild temperatures for about a week with a few days in the high 40"s and lows around freezing. 

FB_IMG_1614649307960.jpgFB_IMG_1614525470992.jpg

20210301_204259.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Good Morning...oops!  Almost afternoon here!  ๐Ÿค—

Had a  GRUELING morning trying to deal with calls to Medicare to find out how much they will pay towards a doctor- ordered medical procedure.  They gave me a SUPER LOW quote, although they said they may or might not even pay that much when the time comes.

GOOD GRIEF!  This is worse than when I had private insurance!  

Should I be ๐Ÿ˜ช or ๐Ÿ˜ก?  Has anyone else had problems dealing with Medicare for dependable information?

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 

Only have had 2 Medicare screwups, thus  far with my 2 co-insurances. 

Took 2 months to straighten out and 2 years to get reimbursed. 

Received a nasty gram threatening legal action, for approved in advance surgery.

Paid hospital and got refund from hospital.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks for answering my concerns, Frozen.

This will be the first time I use my Medicare for a doctor-ordered procedure, so I was wondering if this is what I have to look forward to with my health insurance. But I also called my co-insurance, and they said they would pick up whatever Medicare didn't pay for...as long as Medicare paid for some part of the bill.

Geez....all this health insurance business can send me in a tizzy sometimes!  ๐Ÿ™„

Honored Social Butterfly

Iโ€™m afraid I also mentioned to them that in future if they were going to bill me again , and couldnโ€™t figure out how to get Re-imbursed they could do something physically impossible for 3 major corporations.๐Ÿ‘

As politely, and smiling all of the time.

I love dealing with insurance companies, even whilst in Private Insurance land before Medicare kicked in, plus the 2 others now that Iโ€™m mature. 

Private insurance land would occasionally try to take me over the coals, on bills but, IBEW and Teamsters covered my posterior, and one of them still does๐Ÿคฃ.And the other was in case of the  t word.๐Ÿ˜‡ 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

I am so sorry to hear how hard it is for some of you to get an appointment for the vaccine.  @catwoman500 , good for you for not uploading your Medicare card.  That's ridiculous.  The vaccine does not cost the patient anything.  At no time during my process was I ever asked for nor showed my Medicare card or any health insurance...period.

As I mentioned earlier, my health district made it easy, but since then, in mid-February, Virginia centralized the whole process making it similar to what my county/district did.  My sister who lives in a different county is still waiting, but before they decentralized, her health district has a phone # to call which, as you can probably guess, was impossible to get through.  (Now, I suspect that she still hasn't heard because of supply, because we are moving into 2nd shots -- I get mine this Thursday.)  However, everything is done through the state health department (VDH) site, not individual health centers or pharmacies.

With J&J shipping out 20 million doses this week, hopefully, things will get rolling a lot easier for anyone in those pesky states.

Honored Social Butterfly

Itโ€™s a beautiful day in the neighborhood if you look beyond the downed wires, trees and temperatures.

Presently 0* with 30-50 mph gusts, judging by the oak and pine trees blowing in the wind.

As far as feel like temps letโ€™s just say brisk, really donโ€™t want to even think about them.

Change in vaccine age schedule here expletives or maybe better ๐Ÿ’ฉ shoot.

Anyone past 60 - March.

50 - April

40 - May

30 - June...

And on that note, time to suit up and go out need a walk after I take on ballast/food, would prefer not to blow down the road.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Morning Wednesday, I survived a rough day/night.

Highest gust of wind 79 mph, and rain turned to snow- thatโ€™s good.

Power went out for 12 hours, batteries worked for important things like fan for stove, and lights.

Today I make the calls for vaccine and the jab, 40k doses arrived on the 1st.

Heard this video this morning and thought some might enjoy.

Get the jab 

Time now for a toddy, my back is attached.But, itโ€™s warm 17*.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all still brisk in Maine but only -6* and cloudy here.

@MsStretch 

@catwoman500 

What is needed to be shown for vaccine is different in each state.

Here itโ€™s 2 picture IDโ€™s, Utility bill, Insurance card and yes, itโ€™s still free.All to prove residency, correct age group, etc,

As much as this may gag me to suggest a call to your local โ€œSenior centerโ€ will produce what is needed and when.

They will not ask for your Medicare or TriCare, etc cards before you enter the vaccine location.No pictures or scans of identity cards (at least here) uploaded to any entity. Think even AARP mentioned that.

Enjoy

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Welcome to the Sunday Coffee Club on the Front Porch!

Good morning to everyone on this Sunday February 28, 2021 from Madison, Wisconsin! We will have coffee during the CBS Sunday Morning News and brunch after the news. Foggy and 35* to start the morning. 

Mary will be getting her 2nd Covid Virus shot tomorrow morning. Our oldest daughter who is a Social Worker will also get her 2nd Monday and our youngest who is a teacher will be getting her first in March.

I hope this Sunday morning finds everyone on the Porch well. 

FB_IMG_1614520351216.jpg

FB_IMG_1614520359472.jpg

FB_IMG_1614520371504.jpg

FB_IMG_1614520386856.jpg

FB_IMG_1614520403100.jpg

FB_IMG_1614525470992.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Goodbye February.jpg

Hello, Porch Peeps,

Letโ€™s say goodbye to February, and hello to March coming in like a lamb? Ha!

We are having an ugly day today with rain all day, but at least it is slowly melting some of the snow. Gusty winds coming in soon that will drop temps to very cold on Tuesday and then hopefully bounce back to nice day on Wednesday.

Still trying to find a vaccine. No luck here unless you have connections.

I need to be patient and not stress over this, I guess.

Stay safe and healthy!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@RosemaryF433825 

@OscarE1968 

Today itโ€™ll be a high of 45* and rain, tomorrow -35 to -50* and guess what freeze up.

March 3 is coming, have to call Health Insurance Co. to say I live still, and yes I still want it.

The only early birds are vets over 60 at least here. 65 is the start for Mar. 3 for all others.

Your local cdc dot gov website by state will tell you where to go and when, for your vaccine.

Some insurance companies will do it automagically, that info will be on their webpage or cdcโ€™s.๐Ÿ‘

Now, I need to move and scream deliveries today , donโ€™t know when or if Iโ€™ll be conscious really want a pill.

Back has been swearing at me since MN ๐Ÿ˜

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

I wish finding a location that had the vaccine was as easy as going to a website.

Unfortunately, our state has received a VERY limited supply of the vaccine, and it hasn't even been delivered to at all the locations the website listed as of yet.  

I'm prepared to just kick back and wait for several months before even checking anywhere again.  Patience is a virtue, so I'm told.  ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ท

Trusted Social Butterfly

Soon!Soon!

Happy March.

@RosemaryF433825 ...Iโ€™m with you.

Itโ€™s hard to believe a year of COVID had passed. Looks like positive strides are being made, but I wonโ€™t be happy until I can track down a vaccine appointment. They are still technically in Phase 1A (thatโ€™s me), but no one on the โ€œmapโ€ that is supposed to have the vaccines is allowing appointments to be made. There are just no vaccines! Many places have taken down their online forms and say not to call the pharmacy. One place looked promisingโ€ฆI filled out the form and at the bottom it said, โ€œPlease upload a photo of your Medicare cardโ€ HA! Like Iโ€™m going to do that! No thanks! ๐Ÿค”

My stepson is driving about 2 hours to get a shot today. He found an appointment at one of 3 CVSโ€™s in PA to have the vaccine. Unfortunately even if I could drive for 2 hours, when I checked that site last week, there were no appointments. He must have been lucky or else stayed on the computer all day to โ€œrefresh.โ€

@Frozenoem โ€ฆwhat topsy turvy temps! We will be something like that although not as severe. Today is 46. Tonight strong winds come in and weโ€™ll be down to around 8 tomorrow morning. Then back to around 50 on Wednesday.

Hang in there everyone!

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500  I'm ready for February to be over too!!!

Temps are finally rising in my area, and the snow has been melting like crazy.  YAY!

I spent part of yesterday mooning over flower bulbs and seeds at the garden center, although it's way too early to start planting...at least 2 - 3 months yet.  It can't come soon enough for my green thumbs!!!  

Temps are going into the 40's and 50's next week.  Time to dust off my bikini!  Hahaha!

Have a great, new week everyone!

Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone!! Hope everyone is doing well and in good spirits. It's been a while since I last posted unfortunately for me spring has arrived here in the Old Pueblo (Tucson,Az) and along with it the pollen ๐Ÿ˜’. This beautiful weather has wrecked havoc with my allergies & asthma. I want to wish you all a wonderful blessed weekend and if you haven't done it yet, get vaccinated as soon as possible ๐Ÿ™‚.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Monday morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Our weatherman tells us we will have mild temperatures and a chance of a low temperature of 32 tonight. By the weekend we will see temperatures rise into the low 20's at night and lower 40's during the weekend day time and into next week. 

I got my 2nd Covid shot yesterday with no real side affects.

FB_IMG_1552432638361.jpg

stock-photo-food-bun-breakfast-coffee-roll-pastries-cakes-croissant-good-morning-2ba88fb1-7a49-494c-a319-c2b93ce0fd79.jpg

Hi everyone.  Things are really busy here at home and trying to get the house building started.  And tax day approaches fast.  Basically trying to keep my head above water with the diabetic dog taking a couple of hours per week getting his sugar checked.  Hopefully it will stabilize  soon.  Just got over Maggie's scratched corneas.  Yep, both eyes, she is now fine.  We will have 77 degrees for Saturday and Sunday, I think spring is here.  Daffodils say so!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Spring whatโ€™s that? Think itโ€™s called frost heaves or mud season here, or perhaps even black fly or road construction start.

Presently a temperate 25* and snowing, snow drought continues 4-6โ€ isnโ€™t a storm itโ€™s a mere inconvenience.

@catwoman500 

Finally heard from friend in Round Rock, TX outskirts, she discovered that her pump house elbows blew out but, it took two days after everything else.

She thought all bases were covered as Northerner in TX.

Super insulated house, well house, generator, etc. Where generally 70* in winter, the cold snap did her in.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , just south of you, we lucked out with no major snowfall (about 1"), but enough freezing rain and temps to glaze over the snow cover.  I discovered it was much easier to walk on crunchy snow than shovel it clear and have it refreeze and turn into an ice rink, so I immediately hung up the shovel.  Not going anywhere, so figured I'll just let it melt or wait until temps get above freezing to knock some of it aside.

Glad you still have your heat.  I'm right there with you on the tolerance level.  When my AC went out last summer, even though it was uncomfortable, I knew I could handle it much better than no heat when it's cold.

@LaDolceVita , happy to hear Tiger is responding well and is a willing participant in his treatment.

About electric blankets and keeping cuddly and toasty warm, I have to give 2 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ to my electric mattress pad.  Just like the shed cats who have kitty heating pads in their beds and huts.

Everybody, be careful out there and don't slide off the front porch.

Honored Social Butterfly

I think itโ€™s Monday a really long week, awoke at 4* started a fire to take the edge off with a side of expresso, presently up to 10* and I think snow is coming.๐Ÿคฃ

Just slightly crunchy underfoot presently, hope it stays that way.

3-4โ€ and/or rain , Iโ€™m hoping for some snow action.

Time to get moving need to remain conscious until noon, in theory for ๐Ÿ“ฆ delivery ๐Ÿ“ฆ.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porchers,

Saturday I was outside chopping at the plow mounds at the bottom of the drive. I was done in and ready to crawl in the house and finish later as well as clean off the car, when 2 men who were just taking a walk around the neighborhood offered to finish the driveway for me AND clean off the car for free! I almost cried with relief. Of course I offered them money, but they refused it! Bless their hearts.

So I was able to get to the Acme on Sunday. It was so nice to be back to a normal grocery shopping routine. My friend who I see every Sunday was there, also. We hadnโ€™t seen each other for 3 weeks because of the snow storms. We chatted for a while to catch up.

Everything was so nice and dry yesterday. Of course the mounds and mounds of snow are still there, lawns are still under inches/a foot? of snow, and I still canโ€™t get the back doors open yet, but the streets were dry, and it was smooth sailing. UNTILโ€ฆ.today we were supposed to get a brief snow, changing to rain. Iโ€™m thinking it would wash away the โ€œbrief,โ€ but it started snowing around 10 AM and it is still snowing. There are about 3 inches of โ€œbriefโ€ on my car and driveway already! It looks pretty, but enough already! Not a fan of snow like I used to be, but at least if it needs to come, spread it out throughout the season, donโ€™t keep dumping it one delivery after another.

@Frozenoem โ€ฆ you can have some of our snow.

Sending out prayers to the folks in Texas. My friend near Houston has 5 leaks in her house and the plumber can only find 4 of them!

Jeremy the cat in snow.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Iโ€™ve only been to three places in TX wonder if plumber checked the main line to house, or outside tap.

Iโ€™ll gladly accept any snow you wish to send this way, with Nestle/Poland Springs tapping into our aquifers it just covers our bases.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Monday morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Our weatherman tells us we will have very cold temperatures and a chance of some snow tonight. By the weekend we will see temperatures rise into the low 20's at night and lower 30's during the weekend day time and into next week.

Someone wrote in the snow outside of the windows here a Valentine's message!

151053963_10224315372491736_3218991591737433453_o.jpg

Trusted Contributor

More snow yesterday, last night & more to come later this afternoon.  I have finally given up on getting my driveway cleaned out for today as 4-8" is predicted later and through tomorrow morning.  Just have it done tomorrow if it finally stops.  I was looking out my back window & could barely see the top of a fire hydrant!  The wind chill has been pretty bad as well!  Thank God for a warm place to live & food to eat.  I haven't been out of the house since last Friday so will start to go a little crazy if this continues for very many more days.  I sit almost all day and night with a heating pad on my back just to keep warm & because I'm sitting quite a bit as well.  Everyone stay warm!๐Ÿค“

Bronze Conversationalist

@wvgirlforever   Simple solution to keeping warm:

ELECTRIC BLANKET!!!   Mmmmmmmmm!!  

(Well, and a very snuggly kitten if you might have one available!). ๐Ÿ˜บ

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Fastnacht Day!Happy Fastnacht Day!

Hey, Porch Peeps, Happy Fastnacht Day!

It's hard to believe it's time for Lent to begin. Time has a way of getting away from us here in COVID land. Guessing Mardi Gras will be a little different this year down in NOLA after the super spreader last year.

Our rain came last night, and luckily we avoided the ice that stayed north of us. Ice has been a real terror for parts of the country. Poor folks in Texas!

We have another accumulating snow coming in the next couple of days.

@RosemaryF433825 , @wvgirlforever ...I second the vote on the electric blanket. Not sure how I'd be able to sleep without mine.

Please stay safe you all...from COVID and from nasty weather.

@DaveMcK ...love the message in the snow! ๐Ÿ˜ป

KING CAKEKING CAKE

Now I'm hungry after looking at these treats!

Kudos
Views

I am grateful to report that we have missed most of the really nasty weather hitting our continent.  No power outages  or extreme cold, just colder than normal.  Two more cold nights coming up than it looks good for the next 10 days, 55-60 every day.  I can imagine the misery in Texas.  I lived through some ice storms there and its very hard to keep buildings warm even with the power on.  Fast food restaurants were always cold during those ice storms.   

One of the dogs developed diabetes so my time has been taken taken up by that.   I really am busier than I want to be.  At least the dog, Tiger, is responding well to treatment.  He knows when its time to go to the vet and will not get in the car w/o a tussle.   Jumps right in when we are leaving the vet.  Gotta love his very large self.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP