Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL JANUARY-FEBUARY 2020 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL JANUARY-FEBUARY 2020 CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to JANUARY 2020 Goodbye DECEMBER 2019

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF JANUARY 2020. 

144de02b21df70c523d9bae9886c62cd.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porchers,

Want to try to get this posted from my computer before the AARP forums stop working for me again. Trying to figure out just why this is the only place on the whole internet that happens to me.

We had a little snow yesterday, and right now it has all melted from my driveway and car. It's sunny and cold, but not real cold. Cat LOL

Earlie,r there was no way I could venture onto the driveway, so the grocery shopping was a wash as I had expected. Just was able to go and get the paper by the street, so now I'm ready to relax with the paper and more COFFEE. Ebay auctions went good for a change. I sold 2 of my designs. YAY!

Hope you all are cozy. Don't work too hard in any snow you may have!

So cold the coffee needs a scarf!So cold the coffee needs a scarf!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Check if you have latest update for Windows10 downloaded and installed, fixes around 48-9 issues.

Presently lovely 10* and need to return to shoveling, after I warm up and cool down. Snowblower wouldn't move forward or reverse.

Wouldn't mind but, pesky snowplow driver plowed me in🤬. Thankfully it's 12" of light and fluffy-kinda.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly

Greetings, 

Happy New Year.  I had  the hardest  time finding  the  site.  I  have  a  new  phone.  Trying  to learn  how  to  use  it. Hope  everyone  is  doing  well 

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Glad to see you again , missed your posts.👍

So what did you get?

Have you joined the enlightened force or still in Android land🤣.

Now, I can't put it off any longer it's back to shoveling.🤬

Froze 

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

Greetings, 

Frozen,  I have a Samsung  Galaxy ,  the phone  that was covered by  Square Trade. The phone  my daughter  was supposed  to  use. Since,  it was free and  here in a box  for  weeks. I fired  it up. I will leave  the iPhone  to the  younger  crowd.  Unless, I  come  into  money.  

I have  truly  missed  reading  everyone's  posts and  the great information  and pictures.  

Frozen,  I missed  a snow  storm or several  by you. Do you  need  anything,  I  can  send  you  a  box.  Hope  everyone  is  doing  well  and  is safe.  It's  just  cold , but  sunny  in my small  part  of  New  Jersey. 

Today,  my neighborhood , is having  a  sad  moment.  Several  old trees  (8) are being  taken  down.  Unfortunately, the trees roots  are wrapped  around  the pipes.  I  just  hope  we are going  to  plant  new trees.  We need  trees. I am going  to  plant  1 in my backyard. Where there was an old  tree. Nancy 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Sunday morning in January 2020! Our major snow storms didn't materialize. However, we did get about a 1/2" of sleet and over 3"+ of snow so far with more sown showers tonight. There are to be periods of snow this coming week. 

81186264_2723881717658591_7777216454771867648_n.jpg80814680_2737006803012749_4326034972000387072_n.jpg82175937_3131341016882103_1013441690049970176_o.pnggood-week_014 (1).jpg

Regular Contributor

Hi There

Just wanted to tell you I love all your pics... Have a GREAT NEW YEAR !!!!!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@lhsevret 

So, jump on in, the water is frozen.

It's a lovely 14* with windchill 0* in Maine, still warm though by my standards.See me at -35* and I might be griping.🤣

Time to pull out the ever fashionable Austrian green wool pants and blow out the piles of snow blocking me in.

We must have got the 2 foot measure, the pesky town plow blocked my mud room door and garage while I slept.

And upon awaking my house warming gift from 1988 was starting to bloom, it's a pot bound Amarylis.

2520B6DB-1198-4A41-88A4-EC4FA56A65DE.jpeg

No one say anything about dust or dirty windows, there's 4' of snow outside and I'd rather not open the thermo panes to clean the outer storms, again.

Enjoy all, need to get out and play I think.

Froze

Greetings, 

Frozen,  I  can't  believe  how  much  snow  you  get  each  year.  We got a few furries this year. That's  it.  My flowers  are  starting  to  pop up. Please  let  me  know  if  you  need  anything.  

Hope  everyone  is  doing  well.  Happy  National  Pizza  Day  to all.  Love  all the great  pictures  people  posted.  

Just  a sunny  day  in New Jersey.  We had rain and wind  for 2 days 

Catwoman500, hope you didn't  have  any  problems  with  the  wind

I was happy  that the  tree in my  front  yard  was  removed.

Please  enjoy  your  day  and be safe 

Honored Social Butterfly

Sunday greetings.

@n566192l 

I've gotten used to snowfall, makes for soft landings as long as it stay snow.

Tempted only for warmer climates, used to life in small town New England. Pop. 750 in Winter, need an emergency ride at 2am for a dog, someone will appear.

Forgot to lock the door, no problem. I think I like this place.

Now, if I just can find someone to replace the roof, on garage who knows?

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Ugh, sorry morning Monday. 18* and snowing, not a morning person but, need to be 3 hours away today.

Heat wave coming 40's, glad I air potted the coffee last night.🤣

Only buds coming up for moment are inside by woodstove  and SW window light.

606E6A1C-F062-4993-9914-A1766AC659CB.jpeg

Enjoy

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Monday Morning, (whoops…afternoon) to everyone.

@Frozenoem , glad you got your coffee and that your snow blower is working. We’ll need a rain blower this week as it is forecast for almost every darn day.

I have a good roofer for you…LOL pretty sure he won’t travel to Maine, though.

I did notice my daffodils are up about 2 inches already.

@n566192l , I did have my gate blow off the wrong side. Must have been so much rain rotting the wood on the hinge side. Will have to wait for spring/summer to see what’s what with that.

Luckily we kept our power that day.

Went to the post office in a little sprinkle this morning, so not too bad.

As long as I don’t start to grow mold, I’m sure I can make it to the weekend, although something called SNOW may be forecast for Sunday. We have had something like 3/10’s of an inch this winter. Unbelievable, but for me…wonderful.

Oh…ya gotta love this. Philly gets a new police commissioner today. Her last name is Outlaw! No kidding!

Time for a pick-me-up!Time for a pick-me-up!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

No worries on my roof, if I can just agree on the amount charged, I'll be golden.

Otherwise it's triple belts, a cherry picker and I'll do it, not my ideal answer. Just can't see spending quoted amount on 8-hour job.

Have roofed  bigger for less money in the past. If I tie off in enough places should be safe.🤣

Froze

ps we get another storm on Thursday😎

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, all

Looks like I'm blocked from giving AARP kudos or replying from my computer, so I'm on my tablet. Will try again tomorrow to post. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Monday Morning, Front Porchers!

Like so many others here, we've had some schizophrenic weather lately.  Rain and high winds one day and then snow, sleet, and ice the next.  And then 40 to 50 degrees with sun the next.  A couple of weeks ago during an unusually warm stretch, I noticed some trees were already beginning to bud.  I guess even the trees are getting confused by the changing weather. 

All during December, I had been so happy to be having a "dry" winter with very, very little snowfall and none of that sticking or staying.  And then in came January and super cold days and dustings of snow.  But that's winter for you and in all reality, it could be a whole lot worse.

Speaking of weather though, I have been a bit underneath it lately.  So I've been doing little more than resting, eating, sleeping, and hanging close to the bed.  Even today, I'm barely awake, but thought I'd check in.

Me--barely awake or just waking from sleep.

Hope everybody is okay out there. Afterall, this is a brand new year and we've got a whole three hundred and fifty three days ahead of us and only sixty seven days until Spring!  Happy Days!

Stay warm and be safe.

Lyds

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Looks like the weird weather may change to normal or at least I hope, here in Maine.

30* and snow is finally in the forecast.👍

8-12" on Thursday, followed by 6-8" on Sunday. Might actually have the ice covered for walking.

For all of the rain we did have it , would have been 3" rain=30" snow. I'm missing the snow vs rain, sleet.

That means I want snow, really🤣.

Froze

Enjoy your day.

@LydiaN586309   The countdown to spring makes me nervous, it means summer is coming back.  I relish fall and even winter.  Weather here is not that weird, will be 69 today and that is a bit warm but not really out of the norm.  Lots of rain lately too.  Looks like the cold comes in next week. 

I am getting more rest now with mom's companion taking over some of the chores.  Foot problems returning, not plantar fasciitis this time.  I am plagued with all kinds of irritating foot issues and only the left foot.   

Trusted Social Butterfly

Wahoo! Hi, Everyone,

AARP forums are  working on my computer again. That sure is a weird thing that happens every so often. I hate having to type on my tablet or phone!

@LaDolceVita ...Ack! I saw news footage of some of the tornado destruction in GA over the weekend. So glad you are OK where you are.

We had record breaking temps Saturday and Sunday. We haven’t had a January as warm as this in 150 years. Today is relatively warm, in the 50's. It's going to become winter soon. Cold temps are in the forecast Next possibility for any snow is Saturday.

@Frozenoem ...hope you get all the snow you want and keep it up there! Cat LOL

I'm ready for coffee now.I'm ready for coffee now.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Aw hush, round about February-March my opinions on snow may change but, there is joy in snow falling and sub-zero temperatures.

It's water come the Spring-Summer months, and with those lovely Nestle people having purchased some of our aquifer through Poland Springs , I like the idea of water for us vs. them.

Nestle's CEO opinion is people don't deserve expected clean safe pure drinking water. My opinion would be "quite" different, after living through years of boil orders for removing floaters from when we had open cement reservoirs and the floaters were moose, bear or deer caracasses.

Honestly you haven't lived until you've joined the gang/ neighbors trying to haul 1800 lb's of wildlife from a water supply. Now, that we've passed that stage and moved to underground and sealed water supply courtesy of 2001, you just want that snowfall to hit your aquifers.🤣

Time to haul in firewood from garage expected lows in negative 20's. But it will turn to water around May or June.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi it's Thursday and I got my wish might be getting 9" today and more on Sunday, presently 26* .

In another 3-4 hours just feel the snowblower and me, will get a workout👍

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Friday morning 2020. We are looking at up to 12" of snow between tonight and Sunday morning. Busy day today and tomorrow morning. Hoping everyone has great weekend80403532_2919502701401854_5345170581799043072_n (1).jpg80951653_10215309272067483_7839700472217731072_n.jpg66172754_2528927180480440_5635540508794159104_n.png.jpgFB_IMG_1549040217119.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

I saw this on the CBS MORNING SHOW TODAY! We slso saw our first tablescape competition at the HLCCA Conference in Milwaukee last July. Fourth of July scape photo below. 

82770304_10220659079646700_2485041298344509440_n.jpg

tablescaping-at-la-county-fair-620.jpg

DESIGN: Competitive tablescaping (Video)
At the Los Angeles County Fair, Conor Knighton introduces us to the world of competitive tablescaping – a contest that is equal parts creativity and cutlery, as contestants try to design artful, decorative table settings in a variety of categories.

For more info:

Honored Social Butterfly

Ah, the joy of afternoon 30* and clouding up.

Have spent the last couple of days with flu, despite flu shots.

First time in 20 years of shots I get sick, must be all the hospital tests. There are 'sick' people in hospitals.

Time to search for lighter, match or something to start a fire with, need to get heat in the house, lost power last night and still without.

Might need to use the old standby 9volt smoke detector battery to steel wool pad, to create flame. Odd what I remember from survival courses.

Froze

@Frozenoem   The flu and no power sounds like many cuss words.  We are having wonderful winter weather now that the rains have stopped.  Sunny and warm for a few days then looks like rain again for a week.  I am not wishing for spring, spring means the dreaded summer is coming.

Things are a bit better for me as I can get out and about a bit more since mom's companion is back. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello out there in Porchland!

Seems like everyone is hibernating. There hasn’t been a lot of activity here for a while.

@LaDolceVita  it’s great that your mother’s companion has returned to give you a little break. You sure need it!

@Frozenoem  Hope you feel better soon.

Today is windy and cold, 32, feeling like 27, but by Saturday it’s supposed to be 67! I’ll believe that when I feel it! Cat LOL

Still trying to get the remainder of the Christmas stuff put away. I’ve done a good job so far, but the huge tree remains. I’ll miss it when I finally get it undecorated and taken apart.

Hope everyone else is well and just busy. N.

Brrrrr birds!Brrrrr birds!

Ahhhh, Saturday's coming!Ahhhh, Saturday's coming!

Honored Social Butterfly

It's still afternoon 25* and snowing, just been preparing for a weird weekend. Highs in 50* and rain that will come down as sleet/ice.🤬 Before dipping to teens on Sunday and creating a black ice skating rink everywhere.

@catwoman500 

No hibernation allowed at the moment, just haven't been able to do much compared to normal.

More an annoyance than anything else, I'm bored.

Too many can't do vs can do's on my lists of must do's. Had to lend my chainsaw to new neighbor, and instruct on "safe use" vs just do it. Thankfully he listened well, no digits went missing, and he remained upright while removing tree from his roof.

And on that note need to eat anything with cafecito Cubano and extra shots.👍

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Saturday afternoon, me thinks gremlins are updating the site.

Maine has hit high of 50* with sleet coming in either tonight or tomorrow, when temps plummet.

Expect the only thing to do is get some food in, for 2-3 days. Bought/filled gas cylinders for BBQ and camp stove, the joy of expected power outages.

1/2 of ice = 500 pounds of weight to power lines or similar. Memories of '87 and '99 Ice storms in the area.

Coffee pots are ready, and cleaned my airpot out to keep coffee hot for 8 hours. Just can't mess with sustinence of life.

Hope all have safe weekend wherever you are.😎

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, All,

64 here. I had a couple of windows cracked open a little earlier, and the air does smell fresh, but it’s still colder in here than outside. Was hoping to be able to sit outside and read, but it’s not exactly that warm.

So weird to have this warm spell in January...could be a record. Guess we’ll pay for it later.

Hope all of you with the snow are taking it easy and hope you still have power.

Time for more coffee!

Stay safe and warm!

Actually a good spring afternoonActually a good spring afternoon

Yesterday had the tornado feel all day and I knew there was a scary mess just west of Ga.  11 dead, I try not to think about the details.  About 6PM it started raining, very dark.  I was worried but did not even hear any thunder.   Nice day today then will rain and rain for a week or so.

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon Wednesday - 30* and snowing, admit yesterday was colorful language day🤣.

Lighters have been purchased for woodstove and campstove, just in case. Power restored 2 hours after message.

Presently bringing in wood from garage. Later it's snowblower depending upon amount that fell

from skies.

@LaDolceVita 

Glad your getting some rest, and things have returned to normal for you.

Time to play for me.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP