Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 1st day of May 2024.

Happy Birthday to all of our May Birthday member.

1000009941.jpg

1000010919.jpg

1000010920.jpg

1000007421.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, All,

Like @Therapist4u, I never get any notices that things have been posted here anymore. Once in a while if someone mentions me, that notice comes through, but more often I get nothing. I never changed anything, so no clue as to why I don't get my AARP email notices that someone has posted. When I get a couple of minutes, I may check here, but unless I get a nudge from an email, I'm oblivious. 🙄

Y'all take care.

@Frozenoem ...stay warm amidst your blizzard! We are just having wind and rain this week...lots and lots of rain!  And maybe a thunderstorm.

Gold Conversationalist

Hey  @catwoman500

Good to hear from you!

I was told to check my settings...make sure all your notifications...& your subscriptions to posts...etc...all that you want...are checked to send.

That said...even after making sure I've done all that....it hasn’t been any better...

just random ones make it thru....oh well....

Anyway...we also got tons of rain...& high winds for 2 days...& a few tornadoes....it’s that time of year!!!

Please have a wonderful week &....

*Also..thanks for all the kudos!

As always... Take care!

☮️  🌄~Allen 🌈  🎨

Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (Monday 4/1/24) ALLEN, GUY WHO MAKES US LAUGH! 🤣😂

@Therapist4u , tell me about your NEW Avatar. Lol, I guess Snoopy got kicked to the curb.

*** Hmmm, are those flowers for Spring? ***

As you can see I change my Avatar and Username OFTEN. Next change will be Summer.

So AARP is disbanding their ACE PROGRAM = bye, bye  ❤  for you. I had replied to AARP Michael's PM that I was okay with this decision and would be "unregistering" now. I guess everyone will lose their  ❤  soon.

Oh well, more changes... 👵

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Nicole! @SpringIsHereSoHappy

I’m not getting most of my AARP emails again...so if you or someone else tags me lately, I’ll not know it!, ...& that means it will leave many messages unanswered!!..

oh well...

But ...I just happened to see your post...

anyhoot.... Snoopy is NOT kicked to the curb....but since it was about St Pat’s....I tried to crop out that part of the avatar, & leave Snoopy & the rainbow part...but it’s too small...& yes...since no holidays for a while...I used one of my gazillion pics of nature!

I change my Avatar (but not my Username) OFTEN too....every few weeks or so...

AFA: ACES....ya...got the PM...but I don’t understand the need to “phase them out”

Most of them are great friends!...they (we) deserve some kind of recognition...like for posting often & trying to help other peeps!

KUDOS are OK...but mostly MEH! LOL!

Anyway... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (Monday 4/1/24) MY BIG BRO IN MAINE!  👴

@Frozenoem , I was going to keep my famous BIG MOUTH shut  🙄🙄🙄  but...

So here goes - hmmm, you must have gotten NEW readers = you been doing ALOT of posting here or you just MISS US/lol  😂🤣

Luv you Big Bro  💙💙💙

Honored Social Butterfly

No, on new readers.

Appt for Dr is snow delay, 2 more weeks.

Doctor rescheduled, Big Bertha F-550 will be busy, plowing.Translation for Nicole- a big truck🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

1000010719.jpg

How true is this!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK  Good Maxine funny Dave!!

Honored Social Butterfly

April Fools Day will be arriving on Wednesday am,pm,Thursday am, pm along with 12-18” of snow.

But I seem to recall the same amounts promised 2 Saturdays ago when we got 29” - surprise! At least the snow should only remain for 2/3 weeks judging by last storm.

That means I can see my driveway and woodpile once more.Might even get oil before the next storm🤔, and another load of wood.

Odd this desire to remain warm when night time temps are still  in  single digits to highs of 20*.😎 it’s tha daytime temps that suggest Spring will arrive eventually.

Have fun, y’all

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Silver Conversationalist

Is it just me or are these weekly Nor Easters / hurricanes getting tedious? Be safe and warm...

Honored Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 

It’s not just you on weekend or whenever storms ,for the first time in 40 years I bought kindling for the fire.

Hauled a 12volt battery upstairs for the inevitable power outage to power the 12v electric blanket. Then  found myself sleeping thru the first half of storm?

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey  Froze! @Frozenoem

Good to hear from you!

BTW: Spring’s here...

or at least on its way...

even for you Wicked Mainahs!😄

You too @LeeS4949🙂

Spring’s here... or at least on its way...even for Wicked Mainahs! LOL!!Spring’s here... or at least on its way...even for Wicked Mainahs! LOL!!

Hope you’re both doing well!

Stay safe....&...

WAHM’ LOL!!

As always... Take care!

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Silver Conversationalist

Ive found that sleeping thru as much of a storm as I can shortens it considerably..

Honored Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 

Sleeping thru storm almost worked until that first 5-10” came flying down from the tin roof, almost as noisy as slate roof. 11/12 pitch says it won’t stay up there long.

Time for wood feeding.

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , may Claire run freely over the Rainbow Bridge. No matter how difficult they may be to take care of, it's more difficult to reconcile that they are no longer a part of our lives.  Claire lived a long life, longer than most, and it sounds like you made it a happy and easier one for her.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Just read of Claire’s passing over the rainbow bridge, know that feeling only too well. Never for 20 years though, the closest was 18 years for my Rottweiler/Lab and my Siamese Sealpoint.

Took me a long time to get over there passings, as well as the other ones. Best we can do is remember them and actually hope to find them waiting when we cross over.

Still feel the presence of all of my dogs and cat, with the memories that go with each of them.

Frozel 

Gold Conversationalist

Hi again Ms. Stretch! @MsStretch 

Ahhhh...the Rainbow Bridge! 🌈 

I had only one cat....I had to wait for the 2nd part of my life to ‘settle down’ & remain at a stable point...that being the purchase of my 1st home..which I paid off & still live in....[while I try to put up with remodeling Hel...P...LOL! ...in order to finally sell it, to move into smaller digs...& a more mature adult environ....]

One day a friend said that there was a lonely little kitten at a shelter that was part of a large litter & she was the tiniest & sickly ‘runt’....& all others were adopted from a terrible place....& she might be put to sleep soon....& I thought...well...I can’t leave her there all alone...anyway... “long story short”...we were together for almost 20 years...until she died!😿

On a happier note...I named her Toonces...after the Saturday Night Live recurring sketch of: “Toonces the Driving Cat” LOL!!!

Toonces the Driving Cat.jpg

OIPToonces the Driving Cat.jpg

Toonces the Driving CatToonces the Driving Cat.jpg

OIToonces the Driving Cat.jpg

Anyway...Hope you & your precious ‘furchildren’ are doing well!

Also...wishing a Happy EASTER to you....& your family & friends!

Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Porch Peeps!

Speaking of Peeps (yuk for the candy ones 😝) Happy Easter to all! @DaveMcK @Frozenoem @MsStretch @LaDolceVita @Therapist4u and everyone else out there.

@SpringIsHereSoHappy...

Yes, I watched the first 2 episodes of Nolly. I enjoyed it and I wish it was longer than 3 episodes. Last one is tomorrow night. I watched the first episode of Alice and Jack, but didn't enjoy it, so skipped the second and watched an old Rizzoli and Isles on STARTTV.

@MsStretch ...I love seeing the photos of your hikes and your discoveries!

Same old same old around here. Love my new driveway. Still going to PT.

I hope everyone has a lovely holiday weekend! 🐰🐣

Bunny cat.jpg

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @catwoman500

HAPPY EASTER!! to you... & to your family & friends!

And also to all the good Front Porch PEEPS!! ....including Dave @DaveMcK @LaDolceVita Ms. Stretch @MsStretch & @LeeS4949 Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy and Froze! @Frozenoem

Happy EASTER to all the good Front Porch PEEPS!! LOL!!Happy EASTER to all the good Front Porch PEEPS!! LOL!!

*Also....thanks Y’ALL for all the kudos!

Take care one & ...

.all Y’ALL! LOL!!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Waiting for my next possible blizzard next week,I thought we were thru after the last 29”, only 20 feet of pathway left to clean out.

@catwoman500 

Peeps are best served stale, almost edible .Discovered that during the Pandemic, almost like eating Marshmallow Fluff on PB sandwich.

To all else enjoy your Easter.I seem to have a craving for Havens chocolate bunny ears. A Maine treat, only slightly beneath Needhams.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey there Froze! @Frozenoem

So....“I seem to have a craving for Havens chocolate bunny ears”

You mean like this???? LOLOLOL!!

Easter Sunday..jpg

Happy EASTER Froze!

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u   That was funny!!😂.   All is well here in the hills.  

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita 

Thanks for the reply...that was kind of you to say...I love to know when I’ve spread a little bit of positivity!....& if I helped just one person to laugh🤣...or at least chuckle🙂...then I feel I’ve “done my job for today” Hahaha😊

Great to know that:

“All is well here in the hills”

Also.... I’m assuming that you & hubby are “Still doing the sauna thing every night.” LOL!

However often y’all use it, I hope you’re now seeing the health benefits!

Anyway, as always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , ditto what @MsStretch said! I'm sorry to hear about Claire, but now she has no pain and can frolic freely! 🐾❤️

Gold Conversationalist

Hi! @catwoman500

That was sweet of you to say:

“....but now she has no pain and can frolic freely!”

I want that too! LOL!

Anyway...

Happy EASTER to you....& your family,

(including your very helpful stepson!)...

& your friends!

Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , I don't live near SNP, but was there on Wed., when the fire started.  We were well aware of the high wind and fire danger warnings. Fortunately, for us, the fire started in the North District and we were in the South District slogging up a mountainside in search of another old family cemetery.  Found it!  About 25 uninscribed fieldstones and several depressions which had missing head/footstones.

Several of the fieldstones at the Calvin Morris cemetery in SNPSeveral of the fieldstones at the Calvin Morris cemetery in SNP

The wind wasn't really a factor for us until we emerged on a ridge where the cemetery was located. We had worked up a sweat on the climb up, but when that wind hit we chilled right out.  Not to mention another danger.  The trees were creaking and swaying and there were already a lot of fallen dead trees.

This shows a plethora of fieldstones, but note the deadfall and fallen trees.  Not an ideal place on a gusty day!This shows a plethora of fieldstones, but note the deadfall and fallen trees. Not an ideal place on a gusty day!

Probably not a good day to be up on a ridge with all the leaning trees crackling and looking downright dangerous, but we escaped unscathed other than various greenbriar and wineberry gashes we suffered on the bushwhack in andout.

On my way home that evening, I did run into all sorts of fire engines and emergency vehicles and brush fires and smoke blotting out the sky in parts.  (This was outside the Park.)  It was downright scary. 😨 I began to worry I wouldn't be able to make it home, but I got through.  It was frightening how many fires there were and made you realize the wind was no joke.  I had also gotten traffic alerts about Rt. 1 in my county had been shut down due to fire fighting activities.  Fortunately, it was N of me (at Quantico), but it had apparently really messed up rush hour traffic since everyone was diverted to I-95.

@LaDolceVita , yep, I pulled out my first tick of the season last week.  I had used some red Repel from last year that had been in my truck and it was clogged and barely sprayed.  Obviously. 🙄 Pesky little buggers.

Honored Social Butterfly

We are looking at a mild snow storm here in Madison, Wisconsin with around 4" of new snow on the ground outside my window. Snow to end around noon. 

They are forecasting more snow Sunday and Monday. Then some rain as the temperatures warm up.

Honored Social Butterfly

Winter making a last gasp here.  Brisk temps and windy.  Had to plug the cat palace back in for the kids (triple tap to assorted heated kitty beds), since wind chill in the 20s tonight. 🥶  Yes, @SpringIsHereSoHappy, that would be Queen Willie Mae and Prince Giorgio. Can't have them freezing their little toe beans off.

Last Thursday, a friend and I went to a nearby state park and followed an old road trace to a early 19th-century cemetery.  On the way back, we noticed a flash of white behind some brush just off to the side and went to investigate.  It was a dead eagle. 😢 It was upsetting to find.  I'll admit we didn't know the proper procedure about what to do.  Are we suppose to report it?  (Yes, I found out later.)  The Visitor Center was closed at this time, so our options were limited.  We didn't touch it or disturb it.  I didn't think about waymarking it until we had returned to my truck and I took no pictures, because no, just no.  I called the number, but just a recorded message.  I did shoot an email to the state park and they responded the next day and thanked me.  I do not know if they found it or what happened next.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStrerch Stretch

Hope you don’t live to close to SNP heard it’s wildfires consumed 450 + acres .

Let’s Wednesday will be another attempt at seeing close up with progressives or readers👍Figure by then the snow might have melted and/or waters receded.

My trusted weatherman Hillbilly has said Northern NH and Maine will be getting dumped upon, in more colorful language. Apple Wx is 12-19”, Local TV is 6-12+”, who wins is roll of the dice.🤣.

Have my firewood melting and drying in front of the stove, expect power outages with winds. Then I might be able to move wood to woodbox and lose the cart.

@LaDolceVita If you get itchy from bug bites, just dab the bite with Ammonia inhalers, use to carry in first aid kits for dual purpose. Wakey, wakey or black flies and skeeters.

And on that note time to play with salmon frozen like a board, think that’s dinner.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Spring has been cancelled in my part of Maine as well.

snow is coming with brisk temps.Think it’ll be wood heat thru Monday.

Always report dead eagles or wildlife in general to game wardens or state, federal park employees. And drop a pin to location of the you can get a signal on cell phone.Rhat.

Easier compared to old times pre-cell phones, when we worked state parks, and had to tag trees to find again with wardens.

Now, me thinks I need firewood to last thru the s  t o  re ms coming.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP