Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 3rd day of April 2024.

Happy Birthday to all of our April Birthday members.
April Birth Flowers: Daisies and Sweet Peas.

1000009941.jpg

1000010732.jpg

1000010733.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Waiting for my next possible blizzard next week,I thought we were thru after the last 29”, only 20 feet of pathway left to clean out.

@catwoman500 

Peeps are best served stale, almost edible .Discovered that during the Pandemic, almost like eating Marshmallow Fluff on PB sandwich.

To all else enjoy your Easter.I seem to have a craving for Havens chocolate bunny ears. A Maine treat, only slightly beneath Needhams.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

Hey there Froze! @Frozenoem

So....“I seem to have a craving for Havens chocolate bunny ears”

You mean like this???? LOLOLOL!!

Easter Sunday..jpg

Happy EASTER Froze!

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u   That was funny!!😂.   All is well here in the hills.  

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita 

Thanks for the reply...that was kind of you to say...I love to know when I’ve spread a little bit of positivity!....& if I helped just one person to laugh🤣...or at least chuckle🙂...then I feel I’ve “done my job for today” Hahaha😊

Great to know that:

“All is well here in the hills”

Also.... I’m assuming that you & hubby are “Still doing the sauna thing every night.” LOL!

However often y’all use it, I hope you’re now seeing the health benefits!

Anyway, as always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , ditto what @MsStretch said! I'm sorry to hear about Claire, but now she has no pain and can frolic freely! 🐾❤️

Gold Conversationalist

Hi! @catwoman500

That was sweet of you to say:

“....but now she has no pain and can frolic freely!”

I want that too! LOL!

Anyway...

Happy EASTER to you....& your family,

(including your very helpful stepson!)...

& your friends!

Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , I don't live near SNP, but was there on Wed., when the fire started.  We were well aware of the high wind and fire danger warnings. Fortunately, for us, the fire started in the North District and we were in the South District slogging up a mountainside in search of another old family cemetery.  Found it!  About 25 uninscribed fieldstones and several depressions which had missing head/footstones.

Several of the fieldstones at the Calvin Morris cemetery in SNPSeveral of the fieldstones at the Calvin Morris cemetery in SNP

The wind wasn't really a factor for us until we emerged on a ridge where the cemetery was located. We had worked up a sweat on the climb up, but when that wind hit we chilled right out.  Not to mention another danger.  The trees were creaking and swaying and there were already a lot of fallen dead trees.

This shows a plethora of fieldstones, but note the deadfall and fallen trees.  Not an ideal place on a gusty day!This shows a plethora of fieldstones, but note the deadfall and fallen trees. Not an ideal place on a gusty day!

Probably not a good day to be up on a ridge with all the leaning trees crackling and looking downright dangerous, but we escaped unscathed other than various greenbriar and wineberry gashes we suffered on the bushwhack in andout.

On my way home that evening, I did run into all sorts of fire engines and emergency vehicles and brush fires and smoke blotting out the sky in parts.  (This was outside the Park.)  It was downright scary. 😨 I began to worry I wouldn't be able to make it home, but I got through.  It was frightening how many fires there were and made you realize the wind was no joke.  I had also gotten traffic alerts about Rt. 1 in my county had been shut down due to fire fighting activities.  Fortunately, it was N of me (at Quantico), but it had apparently really messed up rush hour traffic since everyone was diverted to I-95.

@LaDolceVita , yep, I pulled out my first tick of the season last week.  I had used some red Repel from last year that had been in my truck and it was clogged and barely sprayed.  Obviously. 🙄 Pesky little buggers.

Honored Social Butterfly

We are looking at a mild snow storm here in Madison, Wisconsin with around 4" of new snow on the ground outside my window. Snow to end around noon. 

They are forecasting more snow Sunday and Monday. Then some rain as the temperatures warm up.

Honored Social Butterfly

Winter making a last gasp here.  Brisk temps and windy.  Had to plug the cat palace back in for the kids (triple tap to assorted heated kitty beds), since wind chill in the 20s tonight. 🥶  Yes, @SpringIsHereSoHappy, that would be Queen Willie Mae and Prince Giorgio. Can't have them freezing their little toe beans off.

Last Thursday, a friend and I went to a nearby state park and followed an old road trace to a early 19th-century cemetery.  On the way back, we noticed a flash of white behind some brush just off to the side and went to investigate.  It was a dead eagle. 😢 It was upsetting to find.  I'll admit we didn't know the proper procedure about what to do.  Are we suppose to report it?  (Yes, I found out later.)  The Visitor Center was closed at this time, so our options were limited.  We didn't touch it or disturb it.  I didn't think about waymarking it until we had returned to my truck and I took no pictures, because no, just no.  I called the number, but just a recorded message.  I did shoot an email to the state park and they responded the next day and thanked me.  I do not know if they found it or what happened next.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStrerch Stretch

Hope you don’t live to close to SNP heard it’s wildfires consumed 450 + acres .

Let’s Wednesday will be another attempt at seeing close up with progressives or readers👍Figure by then the snow might have melted and/or waters receded.

My trusted weatherman Hillbilly has said Northern NH and Maine will be getting dumped upon, in more colorful language. Apple Wx is 12-19”, Local TV is 6-12+”, who wins is roll of the dice.🤣.

Have my firewood melting and drying in front of the stove, expect power outages with winds. Then I might be able to move wood to woodbox and lose the cart.

@LaDolceVita If you get itchy from bug bites, just dab the bite with Ammonia inhalers, use to carry in first aid kits for dual purpose. Wakey, wakey or black flies and skeeters.

And on that note time to play with salmon frozen like a board, think that’s dinner.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Spring has been cancelled in my part of Maine as well.

snow is coming with brisk temps.Think it’ll be wood heat thru Monday.

Always report dead eagles or wildlife in general to game wardens or state, federal park employees. And drop a pin to location of the you can get a signal on cell phone.Rhat.

Easier compared to old times pre-cell phones, when we worked state parks, and had to tag trees to find again with wardens.

Now, me thinks I need firewood to last thru the s  t o  re ms coming.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

There is "ick" all over the roads, my car & now in my parking lot at work (the latter being unnecessary, it was nearly dry) . 

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Even tho:

“Spring has been cancelled in my part of Maine”

....as a Wicked Mainah, you’d probably be ‘WAHM’ regardless! hahaaa😄

... so hopefully you’ll have enough

>>> “firewood to last thru the s  t o  re ms coming”.

Ayuh...

also I hope you’re feeling, ...& doing, WELL!

Anyway, as always... Take care!

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Honored Social Butterfly

My Apple iPhone spell checker has a hissy fit whenever I text or speak dos commands to it.

Fair warning my spelling will be off the scales, this weekend LISt Processing language.That was a nightmare in ‘68.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Dare I ask what ick is, could it perhaps be white particles that fall from the sky, heard that falling off the roof all night.

Time to start a fire just in case of power outages, I knew there was a good reason to keep my wardens parka handy.

Buckle up and hang on, more something coming this weekend - rain/snow/winds take your pick depending on location.🤣

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi again Ms. Stretch! @MsStretch “Brisk temps and windy....wind chill in the 20s” is our exact forecast down south too! But....we is a gonna get sum mucho warmer weather soon! LOL!

Ditto what @catwoman500 said: oh so sad to find the eagle. 😢Good to know there are procedures for reporting a find like that.

IMHO you did the right thing!

Also....Glad to know all your precious 🐈 furchildren 😺 are warm & safe & 💗 well-loved 💖 & cared for!

Take care!😀

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...oh so sad to find the eagle. 😢 Good to know there are procedures for reporting a find like that.

Cold here, too. Wind chill was 27 around 10 this morning. Had to pull the parka out of the closet again.

Spring springs in tonight! 🥀🦋

Honored Social Butterfly

May you have a blessed day!

1000010414.jpg

1000010416.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

St. Catrick.jpg

Slainte, Porch Peeps!

Hope you all have the luck of the Irish today and always!

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @catwoman500 Even tho I already wished you ....& other porch peeps...a Happy St. Patrick’s Day in my post yesterday...

Now I should also wish you a

“Happy St. CATtrick’s Day” as well!

Happy St. CATtrick’s Day CATWOMAN..LOL!!Happy St. CATtrick’s Day CATWOMAN..LOL!!

Hahahaa!

Anyway...have a wonderful week &....

*Also..thanks for all the kudos!

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 🍀 ~Allen 🍀 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

My second eye surgery is progressing well. I finally got a prescription for reading glasses. They are working well.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Dave! @DaveMcK That’s fantastic news about your “second eye surgery is progressing well. I finally got a prescription for reading glasses. They are working well.” That... & knowing that your 1st surgery went good as well! It’s also encouraging to know how it went for you, as I too will be having that operation....not sure when...but sometime this year as I understand it.

Also, as I just replied to @LaDolceVita with more details, ....& it’s great to know “the progressive lenses” are working well for her too!

🍀Happy St. Patrick’s Day 🍀 to you & your family & friends!

Take care! 

☮️  🌄 🍀 ~Allen 🍀 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

Folks I have the progressive lenses, do not know the brand name but they work pretty well, I can see both close up and far away.   You do have quite a large out of pocket expense but so far it has been worth it.  No reading glasses needed yet.

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   I am a pretty big PBS fan, still working on season 7 of Seaside Hotel.  Was not a Miss Scarlet fan.  Cannot watch All Creatures Great and Small because I cannot watch shows to do with animals.  I just turn into quivering blob.  I watched the Midwives for years then got tired of that.  I watched All of Vienna Blood and Grantchester and like both.   Fan of Robson Green.  Loved Doc Martin the show and the scenery.  Loved the Durrels in Corfu too.  There are other, including some movies. 

Lately I am hooked on Max Miller's Tasting History on YouTube.  They are short segments and I seem to have very little time in the evenings, partly due to sauna😳.  

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita Glad that your glasses work well for you! It seems that “the progressive lenses” are what I was supposed to get! Every year I get an eye exam & 1 pair of glasses. I’ve gone to Lenscrafters & Vision Works...they’re OK but tend to be quicker & less thorough exams as they have such a volume of peeps (it’s like the proverbial MILL) & before ya know it it’s >>>NEXT patient!!

The Ophthalmologist I saw this last time had a big clinic with many hi-tech gadgets for testing & examining the eyes....They are quite competent & well praised by many reviewers. But....they don’t make glasses at their facility, so I was handed a script & told I could take it anywhere to be filled. I chose Walmart as they are close by & shop there often & assumed they would do a decent job. But, as I mentioned in an earlier post.... when they were ready & tried them on...I couldn’t see either distance or close by clearly at all...in other words....it was a waste...I have no way to know if it was Walmart’s fault or not...so we’ll just have to wait another year...LOL!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you & your family & friends!

*Also..thanks for all the kudos!

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey Porch Peeps!

@LaDolceVita ...I do watch most of the PBS shows you watch. My fave is Midwives. All Creatures Great and Small is another favorite even though I have some of the animal issues you have. I couldn't even watch the cartoon, Babe, because I was a puddle when he said, "I don't have a mother." I also walked out of the first five minutes of Horse Whisperer until my friend came to the lobby to get me and said that was the worst part. I did go back to my friends and watched the rest.

As for glasses, I also have the progressive lenses for distance and up close.

@MsStretch,@DaveMcK@Frozenoem@SpringIsHereSoHappy@LeeS4949 and everyone,  

☘️As for tomorrow, I will have an Irish coffee as most of you remember. (with Jameson @Frozenoem☘️

Also bought some Irish soda bread. I used to make it, but too much trouble and nobody to share it with now. Also used to make the Irish potato candy.

Green beer is fine if you don't mind a green tongue! 😳

Meanwhile I had a new driveway put in on Wednesday. Amazing how they did the whole thing in 3 hours. It involved cutting out the old driveway since it was so badly damaged during my renovations. I thought they'd have to use jackhammers (that's how old school my thinking is), but they have this cool machine that lifts the old asphalt. The whole operation was very efficient, and tomorrow I can take down the tape and finally put take the car off the lawn and use the driveway. It was very tricky walking on the uneven lawn to and from my car. I'm not supposed to walk on uneven ground, but I certainly wasn't going to stay in the house for 3 days.

That's about it from here. I hope everyone has a safe and happy St. Pat's!

Yes I ate a leprechaun.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

(Saturday 3/30/24) @catwoman500 , yikes - I didnot realize it is ONLY 3 episodes. Thanks for letting me know!!! 💙💙💙

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

If Stretch doesn’t get back with you SNP is Shenandoah National Park 20,000 acres in VA.

Waterfalls and many climates with Skyline Drive.

I know I was there in the 70,80’s and 90’s, and once in RV vs tent. The rest of time was while I was looking Bing in DC.

The area around Luray, VA has wildfires.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

The old dog Claire died yesterday.  My guess is that she was somewhere between 21 & 22 years old. She was very difficult to take care of but I miss her dreadfully right now. She would only eat certain foods on certain days.  I kinda figured out how to feed her after a while.  She gained about a year of life from moving to our new location due to the extra exercise which strengthened her left hip.  When we moved here almost 2 years ago she would fall due to that hip giving out, but after about 6 months of her new lifestyle that stopped.  She did pretty well until yesterday AM, when she collapsed.  Put her in the car to go to vet and she died as they were bringing her in.  At least she did not have to have needles stuck in her.   

Gold Conversationalist

Hey @LaDolceVita

So sorry to hear of your dog Claire died recently!

Also it’s very touching to know that while it’s been “very difficult to take care of her ....but I miss her dreadfully right now”

You must have taken the very best care of her & because of that ...she “gained about a year of life” >>>> She benefited so much by the ‘Quality of life’ time you provided & she was surrounded by those who loved her to the end!

I had a cat that also lived about 20 years....& I had to give her to the humane society as she couldn’t move or eat anymore ...I sat next to her on the floor... face to face...I kept direct eye-to-eye contact to reassure her...& talked about our time together ...even a few of the humorous times....& that it was OK to ‘let go’.... “when you’re ready dearest....I’m here with you now....& forever...your daddy loves you so much!!!”.......kinda makes me emotional....as I write this....even tho it’s been over 5 years ago....everyone encouraged me to get another cat, or dog...but I simply did not want to go thru loosing another...it hurts as much as if they were humans!

Anyway, Spring’s here...

or at least on its way!

Hope you’re doing well!

As always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Most Active Three Months For Tornadoes In The US Starts In April

At a Glance

• April, May and June are the peak months for tornadoes in the United States.
  • The highest tornado threat moves from the South toward the Plains and Midwest deeper into spring.
  • Intense tornadoes are more likely to occur during the spring.
  • Do you have tornadoe drills where you live. Ours will begin soon. 
  • Do you have a weather radio! Be sure to replace the batteries.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP