Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 1st day of May 2024.

Happy Birthday to all of our May Birthday member.

1000009941.jpg

1000010919.jpg

1000010920.jpg

1000007421.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Dare I ask what ick is, could it perhaps be white particles that fall from the sky, heard that falling off the roof all night.

Time to start a fire just in case of power outages, I knew there was a good reason to keep my wardens parka handy.

Buckle up and hang on, more something coming this weekend - rain/snow/winds take your pick depending on location.🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

Hi again Ms. Stretch! @MsStretch “Brisk temps and windy....wind chill in the 20s” is our exact forecast down south too! But....we is a gonna get sum mucho warmer weather soon! LOL!

Ditto what @catwoman500 said: oh so sad to find the eagle. 😢Good to know there are procedures for reporting a find like that.

IMHO you did the right thing!

Also....Glad to know all your precious 🐈 furchildren 😺 are warm & safe & 💗 well-loved 💖 & cared for!

Take care!😀

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...oh so sad to find the eagle. 😢 Good to know there are procedures for reporting a find like that.

Cold here, too. Wind chill was 27 around 10 this morning. Had to pull the parka out of the closet again.

Spring springs in tonight! 🥀🦋

Honored Social Butterfly

May you have a blessed day!

1000010414.jpg

1000010416.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

St. Catrick.jpg

Slainte, Porch Peeps!

Hope you all have the luck of the Irish today and always!

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @catwoman500 Even tho I already wished you ....& other porch peeps...a Happy St. Patrick’s Day in my post yesterday...

Now I should also wish you a

“Happy St. CATtrick’s Day” as well!

Happy St. CATtrick’s Day CATWOMAN..LOL!!Happy St. CATtrick’s Day CATWOMAN..LOL!!

Hahahaa!

Anyway...have a wonderful week &....

*Also..thanks for all the kudos!

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 🍀 ~Allen 🍀 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

My second eye surgery is progressing well. I finally got a prescription for reading glasses. They are working well.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Dave! @DaveMcK That’s fantastic news about your “second eye surgery is progressing well. I finally got a prescription for reading glasses. They are working well.” That... & knowing that your 1st surgery went good as well! It’s also encouraging to know how it went for you, as I too will be having that operation....not sure when...but sometime this year as I understand it.

Also, as I just replied to @LaDolceVita with more details, ....& it’s great to know “the progressive lenses” are working well for her too!

🍀Happy St. Patrick’s Day 🍀 to you & your family & friends!

Take care! 

☮️  🌄 🍀 ~Allen 🍀 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

Folks I have the progressive lenses, do not know the brand name but they work pretty well, I can see both close up and far away.   You do have quite a large out of pocket expense but so far it has been worth it.  No reading glasses needed yet.

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   I am a pretty big PBS fan, still working on season 7 of Seaside Hotel.  Was not a Miss Scarlet fan.  Cannot watch All Creatures Great and Small because I cannot watch shows to do with animals.  I just turn into quivering blob.  I watched the Midwives for years then got tired of that.  I watched All of Vienna Blood and Grantchester and like both.   Fan of Robson Green.  Loved Doc Martin the show and the scenery.  Loved the Durrels in Corfu too.  There are other, including some movies. 

Lately I am hooked on Max Miller's Tasting History on YouTube.  They are short segments and I seem to have very little time in the evenings, partly due to sauna😳.  

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita Glad that your glasses work well for you! It seems that “the progressive lenses” are what I was supposed to get! Every year I get an eye exam & 1 pair of glasses. I’ve gone to Lenscrafters & Vision Works...they’re OK but tend to be quicker & less thorough exams as they have such a volume of peeps (it’s like the proverbial MILL) & before ya know it it’s >>>NEXT patient!!

The Ophthalmologist I saw this last time had a big clinic with many hi-tech gadgets for testing & examining the eyes....They are quite competent & well praised by many reviewers. But....they don’t make glasses at their facility, so I was handed a script & told I could take it anywhere to be filled. I chose Walmart as they are close by & shop there often & assumed they would do a decent job. But, as I mentioned in an earlier post.... when they were ready & tried them on...I couldn’t see either distance or close by clearly at all...in other words....it was a waste...I have no way to know if it was Walmart’s fault or not...so we’ll just have to wait another year...LOL!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you & your family & friends!

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey Porch Peeps!

@LaDolceVita ...I do watch most of the PBS shows you watch. My fave is Midwives. All Creatures Great and Small is another favorite even though I have some of the animal issues you have. I couldn't even watch the cartoon, Babe, because I was a puddle when he said, "I don't have a mother." I also walked out of the first five minutes of Horse Whisperer until my friend came to the lobby to get me and said that was the worst part. I did go back to my friends and watched the rest.

As for glasses, I also have the progressive lenses for distance and up close.

@MsStretch,@DaveMcK@Frozenoem@SpringIsHereSoHappy@LeeS4949 and everyone,  

☘️As for tomorrow, I will have an Irish coffee as most of you remember. (with Jameson @Frozenoem☘️

Also bought some Irish soda bread. I used to make it, but too much trouble and nobody to share it with now. Also used to make the Irish potato candy.

Green beer is fine if you don't mind a green tongue! 😳

Meanwhile I had a new driveway put in on Wednesday. Amazing how they did the whole thing in 3 hours. It involved cutting out the old driveway since it was so badly damaged during my renovations. I thought they'd have to use jackhammers (that's how old school my thinking is), but they have this cool machine that lifts the old asphalt. The whole operation was very efficient, and tomorrow I can take down the tape and finally put take the car off the lawn and use the driveway. It was very tricky walking on the uneven lawn to and from my car. I'm not supposed to walk on uneven ground, but I certainly wasn't going to stay in the house for 3 days.

That's about it from here. I hope everyone has a safe and happy St. Pat's!

Yes I ate a leprechaun.jpg

Esteemed Social Butterfly

(Saturday 3/30/24) @catwoman500 , yikes - I didnot realize it is ONLY 3 episodes. Thanks for letting me know!!! 💙💙💙

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

If Stretch doesn’t get back with you SNP is Shenandoah National Park 20,000 acres in VA.

Waterfalls and many climates with Skyline Drive.

I know I was there in the 70,80’s and 90’s, and once in RV vs tent. The rest of time was while I was looking Bing in DC.

The area around Luray, VA has wildfires.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

The old dog Claire died yesterday.  My guess is that she was somewhere between 21 & 22 years old. She was very difficult to take care of but I miss her dreadfully right now. She would only eat certain foods on certain days.  I kinda figured out how to feed her after a while.  She gained about a year of life from moving to our new location due to the extra exercise which strengthened her left hip.  When we moved here almost 2 years ago she would fall due to that hip giving out, but after about 6 months of her new lifestyle that stopped.  She did pretty well until yesterday AM, when she collapsed.  Put her in the car to go to vet and she died as they were bringing her in.  At least she did not have to have needles stuck in her.   

Gold Conversationalist

Hey @LaDolceVita

So sorry to hear of your dog Claire died recently!

Also it’s very touching to know that while it’s been “very difficult to take care of her ....but I miss her dreadfully right now”

You must have taken the very best care of her & because of that ...she “gained about a year of life” >>>> She benefited so much by the ‘Quality of life’ time you provided & she was surrounded by those who loved her to the end!

I had a cat that also lived about 20 years....& I had to give her to the humane society as she couldn’t move or eat anymore ...I sat next to her on the floor... face to face...I kept direct eye-to-eye contact to reassure her...& talked about our time together ...even a few of the humorous times....& that it was OK to ‘let go’.... “when you’re ready dearest....I’m here with you now....& forever...your daddy loves you so much!!!”.......kinda makes me emotional....as I write this....even tho it’s been over 5 years ago....everyone encouraged me to get another cat, or dog...but I simply did not want to go thru loosing another...it hurts as much as if they were humans!

Anyway, Spring’s here...

or at least on its way!

Hope you’re doing well!

As always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Most Active Three Months For Tornadoes In The US Starts In April

At a Glance

• April, May and June are the peak months for tornadoes in the United States.
  • The highest tornado threat moves from the South toward the Plains and Midwest deeper into spring.
  • Intense tornadoes are more likely to occur during the spring.
  • Do you have tornadoe drills where you live. Ours will begin soon. 
  • Do you have a weather radio! Be sure to replace the batteries.

Gold Conversationalist

Hey Dave! @DaveMcK

Good to hear from you! Thanks for the topic!

I had just replied to Froze! @Frozenoem about this is “Severe Weather Awareness Week” ....

& that I’ve been through, or close by, over a dozen tornadoes while living in “Tornado Alley” (& 4 hurricanes...including Charley, Ivan, Rita & Katrina while in & around Florida) in the past 60 years....the 1st scary experience when only 4 years old!

So you can also check out some other resources listed there if you want!

Anyway, hope you’re healing well from the cataract surgery!

As always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

The closest to tornado drills I ever had was while traveling in the RV or up at camp. Abandon the rig, and run for the he windowless bathrooms of concrete block, the dogs didn’t argue.

For camp it was take shelter in dam keeper cellar.

While hiking it would be flatten down in a ravine or culvert. Home is in the closet, root cellar, or beneath the stairs.

Think that covered all bases worst we ever had was water spouts? Where the dock ripped out and floated away, and that was anchored by steel pins to a boulder the size of a 56 Buick.

The closest call might have been in Paris, ME alway get a hit on the woods down there.Safest place would be the old Gaol down the road from Hannibal Hamblins house he was the VP under Lincoln? 

Between cell phone alerts where we have service, and WX channels think we’re covered with luck.🍀 

Just blizzards last storm was 29” almost dig out. Rain storms and floods that’s new, on coast Or inland. And mega gales of 60-109 mph, why I had to move close to Mt Washington in NH no idea.🤔

Must be time to wash clothes and spray liberally with repel, Permethrine- 159 ticks submitted to State.

Enjoy y’all

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey  Froze! @Frozenoem

Good to hear from you! One thing you mentioned is related to:

Severe Weather Awareness Week: Where is the safest place to shelter during a tornado?

I’ve been through, or close by, over a dozen tornadoes while living in “Tornado Alley” (& 4 hurricanes...while in Florida) in the past 60 years....the 1st scary experience when only 4 years old!

Here’s some other resources:

Hastings participates in statewide tornado drill

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/hastings-participates-in-statewide-tornado-drill/ar-BB1...

NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/safety.html

CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/features/tornadosafety

American Red Cross

https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/tornado.html

Anyway, as always... Take care!

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   Spring really is here, I felt a bug bite on my back yesterday.  When I grabbed the spot I flung something away.  Lot more of that coming 😓.

Have not watched the new Masterpieces.  I looked up Alice and Jack trying to figure out what it is about.  Put Nolly on my watch list.  BTW, how do you watch, TV or computer? Streaming or regular?

Are you a reader as well as a PBS fan?  Since our wonderful reading thread on AARP is no longer active I am at a loss for reading material.

Gold Conversationalist

Hey @LaDolceVita

So you got your 1st bug bite....

Clearly a sign Spring’s on its way!

I had to chuckle at this: “Lot more of that coming”

You know that’s right! LOL!

Lot more of that comingLot more of that coming

Anyway, as always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Not doing much for now on signature line or anything else until later, who knew at 5* my fingers would lock up.

@therapist is in southern or central Maine, I believe. There are at least 3 Mainah’s here.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Do you know “therapist”? Their profile shows no activity or info.

About therapistAbout therapist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote to me in a previous post: “@Frozenoem says you are in Maine. Wow, I never thought so!!!”

So...If you meant me [ @Therapist4u ] ...then I’d like to reply to the content of your message here.

“Inquiring minds want to know”  LOL!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Misread post Nicole my Progressives still need repair teeny little screw is somewhere between home and Rangeley. Not magnetic like the frames, that would make it too easy to find. Clip on sunglasses are now held in place by magnets.

Only known Mainah’s are Lee and Allen.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u

Thought Nicole wrote your name, everytime I’ve made an appt to see my eye dr to fix or get new progressives, the river has risen and I couldn’t leave town.

With my luck of late if storm stays snow not rain maybe they’ll be fixed this time or I’ll get better readers from wallyworld.

Catching a ride with big Bertha 4 and a 1/2 feet at the running boards. 🤬 a Ford diesel F550.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Thanks for clarifying!

If you follow the thread....I had just replied to Nicole.... who was also trying to figure it out!

“Inquiring minds want to know”  LOL!

Anyhoot.....Now we can rest! Hahaaa

Take care my friend! 

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (Thursday 3/21/24 10:22pm ET)

[1] @Therapist4u , did I cross a boundary with you by asking you what state you are in?

[2] Or is this one of your jokes?

[3] I have been a part of this Our Front Porch Forum from way back before I had left AARP in 2021.

[4] My old username is Anonymous.

[5] We have all shared our state and apologies for asking you.

[6] @Frozenoem was being his usual "kind" self when he responded to my question.

[7] Again apologies IF I have "offended" you.

Take Care, Nicole 👵

[*** @Therapist4u wrote:

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Do you know “therapist”? Their profile shows no activity or info.

About therapistAbout therapist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote to me in a previous post: “@Frozenoem says you are in Maine. Wow, I never thought so!!!”

So...If you meant me [ @Therapist4u ] ...then I’d like to reply to the content of your message here.

“Inquiring minds want to know”  LOL! ***]

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Nah....no offense taken....Nicole 

@SpringIsHereSoHappy

I was just trying to clarify with Froze if he was referring to “therapist”?...

or was he referring to >>>> moi!

I'm not that type anyway...LOL!

Ima CHILL dude ❄️👀🙄....

& usually lean towards humor😃🙃

.... as you know!😺

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

No to green food coloring, allergic to Yellow. I will have a Guinness , Midleton, Jameson or Bushmill Whiskey.

Nae a drop of Irish blood  within me. I do have some Celtic but, that is a fisticuffs discussion. I’m with @LeeS4949 on beer. Prefer other beverages in moderation to stout and ales.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you & your family & friends!

An actual rare photo of a rainbow & a bolt of lightning! Sorry Leprechaun! LOL!!An actual rare photo of a rainbow & a bolt of lightning! Sorry Leprechaun! LOL!!

And also to all the good Front Porchers....including Dave @DaveMcK @LaDolceVita @catwoman500 and Ms. Stretch @MsStretch & @LeeS4949

Take care one & all!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP