Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 3rd day of April 2024.

Happy Birthday to all of our April Birthday members.
April Birth Flowers: Daisies and Sweet Peas.

1000009941.jpg

1000010732.jpg

1000010733.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Gold Conversationalist

Hey Dave! @DaveMcK

Good to hear from you! Thanks for the topic!

I had just replied to Froze! @Frozenoem about this is “Severe Weather Awareness Week” ....

& that I’ve been through, or close by, over a dozen tornadoes while living in “Tornado Alley” (& 4 hurricanes...including Charley, Ivan, Rita & Katrina while in & around Florida) in the past 60 years....the 1st scary experience when only 4 years old!

So you can also check out some other resources listed there if you want!

Anyway, hope you’re healing well from the cataract surgery!

As always... Take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

The closest to tornado drills I ever had was while traveling in the RV or up at camp. Abandon the rig, and run for the he windowless bathrooms of concrete block, the dogs didn’t argue.

For camp it was take shelter in dam keeper cellar.

While hiking it would be flatten down in a ravine or culvert. Home is in the closet, root cellar, or beneath the stairs.

Think that covered all bases worst we ever had was water spouts? Where the dock ripped out and floated away, and that was anchored by steel pins to a boulder the size of a 56 Buick.

The closest call might have been in Paris, ME alway get a hit on the woods down there.Safest place would be the old Gaol down the road from Hannibal Hamblins house he was the VP under Lincoln? 

Between cell phone alerts where we have service, and WX channels think we’re covered with luck.🍀 

Just blizzards last storm was 29” almost dig out. Rain storms and floods that’s new, on coast Or inland. And mega gales of 60-109 mph, why I had to move close to Mt Washington in NH no idea.🤔

Must be time to wash clothes and spray liberally with repel, Permethrine- 159 ticks submitted to State.

Enjoy y’all

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

Hey  Froze! @Frozenoem

Good to hear from you! One thing you mentioned is related to:

Severe Weather Awareness Week: Where is the safest place to shelter during a tornado?

I’ve been through, or close by, over a dozen tornadoes while living in “Tornado Alley” (& 4 hurricanes...while in Florida) in the past 60 years....the 1st scary experience when only 4 years old!

Here’s some other resources:

Hastings participates in statewide tornado drill

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/hastings-participates-in-statewide-tornado-drill/ar-BB1...

NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/safety.html

CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/features/tornadosafety

American Red Cross

https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/tornado.html

Anyway, as always... Take care!

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   Spring really is here, I felt a bug bite on my back yesterday.  When I grabbed the spot I flung something away.  Lot more of that coming 😓.

Have not watched the new Masterpieces.  I looked up Alice and Jack trying to figure out what it is about.  Put Nolly on my watch list.  BTW, how do you watch, TV or computer? Streaming or regular?

Are you a reader as well as a PBS fan?  Since our wonderful reading thread on AARP is no longer active I am at a loss for reading material.

Gold Conversationalist

Hey @LaDolceVita

So you got your 1st bug bite....

Clearly a sign Spring’s on its way!

I had to chuckle at this: “Lot more of that coming”

You know that’s right! LOL!

Lot more of that comingLot more of that coming

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Not doing much for now on signature line or anything else until later, who knew at 5* my fingers would lock up.

@therapist is in southern or central Maine, I believe. There are at least 3 Mainah’s here.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Do you know “therapist”? Their profile shows no activity or info.

About therapistAbout therapist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote to me in a previous post: “@Frozenoem says you are in Maine. Wow, I never thought so!!!”

So...If you meant me [ @Therapist4u ] ...then I’d like to reply to the content of your message here.

“Inquiring minds want to know”  LOL!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Misread post Nicole my Progressives still need repair teeny little screw is somewhere between home and Rangeley. Not magnetic like the frames, that would make it too easy to find. Clip on sunglasses are now held in place by magnets.

Only known Mainah’s are Lee and Allen.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u

Thought Nicole wrote your name, everytime I’ve made an appt to see my eye dr to fix or get new progressives, the river has risen and I couldn’t leave town.

With my luck of late if storm stays snow not rain maybe they’ll be fixed this time or I’ll get better readers from wallyworld.

Catching a ride with big Bertha 4 and a 1/2 feet at the running boards. 🤬 a Ford diesel F550.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Thanks for clarifying!

If you follow the thread....I had just replied to Nicole.... who was also trying to figure it out!

“Inquiring minds want to know”  LOL!

Anyhoot.....Now we can rest! Hahaaa

*Also..thanks for all the kudos!

Take care my friend! 

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Thursday 3/21/24 10:22pm ET)

[1] @Therapist4u , did I cross a boundary with you by asking you what state you are in?

[2] Or is this one of your jokes?

[3] I have been a part of this Our Front Porch Forum from way back before I had left AARP in 2021.

[4] My old username is Anonymous.

[5] We have all shared our state and apologies for asking you.

[6] @Frozenoem was being his usual "kind" self when he responded to my question.

[7] Again apologies IF I have "offended" you.

Take Care, Nicole 👵

[*** @Therapist4u wrote:

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Do you know “therapist”? Their profile shows no activity or info.

About therapistAbout therapist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote to me in a previous post: “@Frozenoem says you are in Maine. Wow, I never thought so!!!”

So...If you meant me [ @Therapist4u ] ...then I’d like to reply to the content of your message here.

“Inquiring minds want to know”  LOL! ***]

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Nah....no offense taken....Nicole 

@SpringIsHereSoHappy

I was just trying to clarify with Froze if he was referring to “therapist”?...

or was he referring to >>>> moi!

I'm not that type anyway...LOL!

Ima CHILL dude ❄️👀🙄....

& usually lean towards humor😃🙃

.... as you know!😺

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

No to green food coloring, allergic to Yellow. I will have a Guinness , Midleton, Jameson or Bushmill Whiskey.

Nae a drop of Irish blood  within me. I do have some Celtic but, that is a fisticuffs discussion. I’m with @LeeS4949 on beer. Prefer other beverages in moderation to stout and ales.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you & your family & friends!

An actual rare photo of a rainbow & a bolt of lightning! Sorry Leprechaun! LOL!!An actual rare photo of a rainbow & a bolt of lightning! Sorry Leprechaun! LOL!!

And also to all the good Front Porchers....including Dave @DaveMcK @LaDolceVita @catwoman500 and Ms. Stretch @MsStretch & @LeeS4949

Take care one & all!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Silver Conversationalist

No green beer here. I like a cold one now and then but please, NOT GREEN. Probably proof positive that I have little Irish blood cursing thru my veins, ( my loss)

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (3/15/24) @LeeS4949 , I don't drink but often wondered IF the "green" one tasted the SAME as the others. Anyway, thanks for "responding" to my question!  😎

[*** LEE @LeeS4949 wrote:

No green beer here. I like a cold one now and then but please, NOT GREEN. Probably proof positive that I have little Irish blood cursing thru my veins, ( my loss) ***]

Silver Conversationalist

Colored beer goes flat much quicker because the keg needs to be tapped to put the green food coloring in. That lets air in and cause the beer to go flat. Yuck.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u , correct, the lenses are Symfony, not Symphony.  Thought about editing and correcting my original post, but I left it.  They worked fine the first couple years, and I never had to reach for the readers, but the near vision has gradually degraded over time.  Maybe because your eyes do anyway and there's only so much that medical science can do to halt the inevitable march of time (in our lifetime anyway).. C'est la vie.

@Frozenoem , hiked in snow last December to an old cemetery in those SNP woods, not deep enough to require snow shoes, but got a little annoying when every time while bushwhacking through the overgrowth and inadvertently shaking the snow off the various low-lying branches and other annoying obstacles Mother Nature likes to throw in the way, the snow managed to find its way down my back.  Ya think you're bundled and sealed up tight, but that pesky snow will find a way to zero in on bare skin. 🥶 

And as we speak, there are already a plethora of hikers leaving or have left GA headed your way.  Should start seeing them around late summer, early fall. 🚶🚶🚶 Of course, they'll be passing through my way first. 🥾😊

@SpringIsHereSoHappy , glad you are OK. 👍

Gold Conversationalist

Hi again Ms. Stretch! @MsStretch

Thanks for the info.....it seems that since the Symfony lensworked fine the first couple years, and I never had to reach for the readers”.....it might be worth it to have some good eyesight for a few years before...the inevitable march of time” compromises the benefits. I’ve been fortunate that for most of my life I’ve not needed glasses & that in retirement, if I can limit the need for them mostly to reading (& zoning out in front of computers...LOL!) then when I have to have the surgery.... I’ll accept that as the best it’s gonna get!

As a side note...every year I get an eye exam & 1 pair of glasses...& last time I let the workers talk me into getting this wonderful pair that I’ll be able to see clearly...both near...& distance....at the same time: with some new fangled multi-focals (not bi-focals) or whatever they called them....& when they were ready & tried them on..I couldn’t see either clearly at all...in other words....it was a waste...so we’ll just have to wait another year..LOL!

Anyway...have a wonderful week &....

Take care my friend! 

☮️  🌄 🍀 ~Allen 🍀 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey everyone, been MIA but I'm still hanging in there.  Rough January (bleeding into February), but back on my usual track which is usually off-trail. 😉 Literally.  Talking about daffodils, they made it a lot easier to find a homesite a friend and I were looking for in Shenandoah NP earlier this week.  Lower elevation.  Not much left of it and would have been easy to overlook had it not been for the telltale green stems and one solitary yellow bloom. And a couple of metal pots.

So I see  @SpringIsHereSoHappy deleted most, if not all, of her posts. 🤷‍♀️ Hope everything is all right with her.

Glad 2nd surgery went good, @DaveMcK . I actually paid extra to get the Symphony lens (not covered by Medicare) which is a type of bifocal lens allowing for close-up viewing, thinking it would be a good investment not to have the use readers for the rest of my life.  It wasn't; it was a waste of money.  Seven years later and I'm back to having to use them.  Glad I didn't throw out those dozens of dollar store reading glasses I have strategically placed around the home. 👓👓👓👓😎

Honored Social Butterfly

Stretch

@MsStretch 

happy your back, the joy of new tech implants, cataracts to pacemakers and the learning curves that go with them.

Can’t use electric razor near pacemaker but, microwaves no problem.My voice issue is Parkinson’s

almost ready to pull my iPhone 7 fingerprint reader out of the box to unlock the phones. That’s a maybe on the works.

Had thought about taking another hike in woods, and then it snowed a foot last night. Temp presently 44* and combo of snow and slush. If snow solidifies might try my snowshoes and hiking staff.

Slight learning curve on old snowshoes from when I was 250 to 150 lbs. Wonder how that’ll work. Maybe I’ll fly over the hiking or snowmobile trails.Less of me and more of snow surface to snowshoes.

Time to eat , enjoy all

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Ms. Stretch! @MsStretch

Even tho you may have “been MIA”...you are thought of just the same! I’ve been familiar with Symphony lens (‘Symfony’....Btw: autocorrect doesn’t like the spelling...lol) & had to do some research  & found that

they’re supposed to “eliminate areas of blurred vision as your eye shifts focus from far to near and in-between distances. Conversely, most monofocal IOLs are set to distance vision, increasing your reliance on near-vision glasses. Extended vision range after cataract surgery can help with your everyday living in many ways, including:

You can safely drive a car or enjoy watching your kids play in the backyard (excellent distance vision).....read a book or browse the web on your smartphone (good near vision)....work at your computer (intermediate vision range). The continuous scope of high-quality vision provided can reduce your dependence on eyeglasses. While you may still need reading glasses after getting a Symfony IOL, the vision range and quality is superior to multifocal and monofocal IOLs.”

So it was helpful to know your (a real user) experiences! I’m due for some surgery later in the year....so I want to find out as much as I can...& also have to make sure what is covered by insurance 1st!

BTW: I too, have many “dollar store reading glasses I have strategically placed around the home.” LOL! 🤓👀

Anyway....I hope you’ve been doing WELL!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! to all Front PorchersHappy St. Patrick’s Day! to all Front Porchers

Also... wishing you a  Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Take care my friend!  🍀 ☮️  ~Allen  🌈 🍀

Honored Social Butterfly

I had my second eye surgery on Thursday and things are going well but I can not read small print very well.

Please do not send  me any private messages as it is very difficult to go back and forth. 

It will be about 1en days until I can get reading glasses.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Gold Conversationalist

Happy International Women’s Day

to: @LaDolceVita and @catwoman500 and Ms. Stretch @MsStretch and all the good women Front Porchers....including Dave McK’s Mrs. & all his women family & friends &  @DaveMcK ! Women help shape the future!

Take care one & all!

☮️  🌄 🍀 ~Allen 🍀 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

“See yourself living in abundance and you will attract it.”
— Rhonda Byrne

Honored Social Butterfly

Mud room in Front and wood storage it’s south facing and glass enclosed. My first rental before buying here had an open porch attached between the barn, house and back house or privy.

Enclosed that in plastic vapor barriers for myself and neighbor’s house, come first 5 foot snowfall we both were in short sleeves basking in sunshine at 80* behind the vapor barrier. Outside temp -30* had loads of questions to answer from other neighbors - re: passive solar.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem Good job with the “passive solar” while outside temp is -30!

Even tho as a Mainah, you’d prob be ‘WAHM’...

Mainah be ‘WAHM’ LOL!!Mainah be ‘WAHM’ LOL!!

while outside temp is around +30... & above! ...LOL!!

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Life was easier in that rented house draftier but, better. It was under renovation. Something frighteningly about electricians using “temporary “ standoffs of electrical junctions, just twisted wires on steel wool. My dog at time warned me of the smoldering going on in the flooring., temporary turned out to be 30 years prior.

Want to start a quick campfire, 9V battery and 0000 steel wool same as temporary junction, renting from flatlanders is dangerous to your health and well being.

Spring will start again in May maybe. 9” coming this weekend or else I was watching a DVR earlier 

Will have list for @Therapist4u  Later tonight or tomorrow keep checking your PM inbox.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Froze! @Frozenoem

Looks like your 'ol faithful dog 🐕

might have known more than the electrician....LOL!

& Yes...I’ll check PM later...

alligator! 🐊 Haha

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈🎿❄️🏂

Honored Social Butterfly

Took a while to discover original owner of rental house. He had upgraded from oil lamps to knob and tube wiring and electrican was fired mid upgrade to conduit 2-wire with ground wire. The joys of new fangled electricity.

Temporary wiring was sealed between the first and second floors, only took 100+ years to finish the wiring and fix what was wrong. Thank heavens “Scout” smelled the smoke, all I had to do was extinguish and trace wiring. Them toss Romeo in cavity.

Just the joy of old houses and old wiring 

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP