Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

@MsStretch 

@LaDolceVita 

@catwoman500 

@Frozenoem 

Please note that I'm  just about the only person that comments on many of the other topics here on the Front Porch.

Do you have a favorite lighthouse?

Tell us about your favorite type of coffee. 

What are some of your favorite quotes?

How about starting some new topics.

Have a great evening.

Dave

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Favorite light house would be in Rockland , ME

IMG_3762.jpeg

Coffee for the moment is DD French Vanilla followed by 207 Dark Roast, both black with no cream or sugar. Followed by Pilon Expresso Cuban style aka Cafe con Leche.

Quote- It’s already broken let’s try Linux, Knoppix

it’s Spring hav  we you blown out the dustbunnies on your pc as yet this year😎

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem   Wow, that is a beautiful picture.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Well good news then if medically necessary Medicare approves transportation by limo/livery or van - to and from medical offices.

Check with your LOA or VA.

Really useful if you pass 8 moose on your 2 hour ride to doctors, and are barely conscious during that ride at 5:30 am.

Limo’s and livery service are overrated.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

@Frozenoem  I picture you as barely conscious in the back of a sedan at 5:30AM, wearing pajamas.  Or perhaps you dressed thenright before and just shuffled out to the  vehicle?  Am I over thinking or imagining this?   I guess I'll stop now😂.  Yeah, I'm in a good mood for a change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @LaDolceVita 😂🤣, NIcole 🙄

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol Froze @Frozenoem 🤣😂!!!

When are you changing your site signature? 🤔

Nicole 🙃

0 Kudos

old.JPG

@Anonymous @DaveMcK @MsStretch @Frozenoem @catwoman500  Don't you think so?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You got me good @LaDolceVita !!! When I got the AARP email with just your text, CURIOUSITY (spelling 🙄) got the best of me. Had to RUSH to the site to SEE what was going on./lol 🤣😂 Gave you a KUDO, luv this 🤣😂🤣😂

Nicole 😉

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

The air is noticeably clearer today. We have been downgraded to Code Yellow. There were no extended walkabouts with the furkids🐈yesterday (except for necessary pee breaks).

@Anonymous , it is wildfire season.  Wildfires are burning longer and hotter because of human-accelerated climate change.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

Second @MsStretch 

On climate change helping to spread or start the fires, last year some parts of Canada hit 120* , about the same temp as Death Valley.

Making forests and plains a tinderbox. One of the fires was sparked by lightning, another by sparks from train, cigarette butt out a window, and the rest are still under investigation.

Of 13 Provinces there are 6 with fires, due to climate change, abnormally low snow totals or rain.

And I think some have been burning for last 6 weeks, burning millions of acres.

With hotter temperatures comes more lightning strikes and dryer grasses or trees. One of many reasons for US to send assistance in fighting the fires, we do have a pretty long border with Canada.

And I wouldn’t be surprised to see MX sending aid, at some point.

Now it’s off to clean house May have visitors in form of cousins from NS or Quebec coming next week if it gets to smoky for them or they need to evacuate.

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

Froze @Frozenoem , they really NEED to figure out a way to TRANSFER water FROM flooded areas TO areas that are having a drought.

Nicole 🙃

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...We are also back to a code yellow today. I could sure see and smell the difference when I opened the door this morning. 😺

Anonymous
Not applicable

@catwoman500 🥳💃

Nicole 🙃

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(2 comments) Glad to hear that Ms. Stretch @MsStretch 🥳💃

Were they (furbabies 🐈🐈🐈) okay with being "feral" (outside)? 🤔

Lol, did you and Willie Mae 🐈 "kiss and make up" 🤣😂

Nicole 🙃

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , all is forgotten with Willie Mae.  After all, you can't stay mad long at the hand that feeds you. 😸

Kids limited their activity outside yesterday by lounging around.  Oh, wait.  They normally do that anyway. 🤦

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol Ms. Stretch @MsStretch 🤣😂 Nicole 🙄

sleep.gif

📸furbaby .gif📸

Honored Social Butterfly

We are looking at the possibility of some meaningful amounts of rain over this weekend. This will be a very helpful rain when it comes to the growth of many crops like sweetcorn, field corn and peas.

Wheat and hay are important when it comes to our dairy cattle.

Hoping everyone has a restful weekend.

Remember our troops stationed over sea's.

FB_IMG_1659106331276.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

You too Dave @DaveMcK !!!

Nicole 🙃

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(2 comments) Just read up on this on Google News! 😱😱😱

Please BE SAFE....

Could this have been PREVENTED? 🤔

Nicole 😪

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Anonymous ...As Smokey Bear used to say, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires!"

Smokey Bear.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey "Smokey" I sorry! 😔

On the "serious" side @catwoman500 , I didnot know this was started by "irresponsible" humans. Had NOT been aware of this drama until Ms. Stretch @MsStretch mentioned it. Yikes!!!

Thanks, Nicole

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Canadian wild fire smoke is an issue here in Southern Wisconsin. 

Local fires are also an issue here because of idiots that are careless with camp fires when camping or burning off fields. We are very dry due to limited rain for weeks. 

Honored Social Butterfly

55* and raining today and perhaps for the next week. Still get nervous when ai smell smoke after last year’s Forest fires started by dimwits in NH campground. Yeah we have them as well, Dave. Least I don’t need to put the AC in the window yet👍That’s a plus.And the rains are keeping our fire danger down.

In lighter news I’m taking a trip down the Star Trek rabbit hole, courtesy of YouTube Paramount Plus

Free for now.

Klaatu barada niktu 

That link should take anyone to Season 1 Episode 1 of Star Trek:Strange New World, think even non-sci-fi types might enjoy this show.** well is was a good idea but, it will take you to the main Star Trek page🤣🤣 where you can find S1E1, guess link changes each  day.

Gotta go, time to return calls to cousins in Nova Scotia, PEI and Quebec provinces.

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Froze @Frozenoem Ask Scotty To Beam Me Up! 🙄

Nicole 🙃

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Peeps,

Air quality this morning seemed a little better when I went outside to bring the trash cans back. Yesterday was brutal. The air just stunk, and the visibility was bad. Glad I wasn’t the one driving to Washington Crossing. Schools were either dismissing early or having indoor recess and PE classes. Today only one of our schools was going remote because of the air and also adding to the mess is construction of a new middle school nearby which was raising loads of additional dust because we are so dry. I’ll take some of your rain, @Frozenoem! We need rain so badly!

We started out as a code red this morning, but I think it has been downgraded to a code orange now. It may get worse this evening before finally starting to improve tomorrow.

We were advised to keep all windows closed and stay inside as much as possible. I was coughing a bit before I even left the house yesterday, and by the end of the afternoon, my nose was a little irritated. Luckily, I have no breathing issues. We were supposed to eat in the garden yesterday, but when one of the girls got in the car said she was having trouble breathing, we decided right then to eat inside the inn. She has had lung issues in the past and uses a spirometer thing at home. Didn’t really have an opportunity to take photos yesterday, but on the way home we pulled off the road and took a photo of the park sign. 😸

You could actually look at the sun yesterday…it was an orange ball. When I got home, the sunlight coming into my house was orange. I thought I had left my sunglasses on! It was very eerie!

Of course, added to the Canadian mess was a contribution from New Jersey’s wildfires!

I was shocked that NYC had the worst air quality in the WORLD yesterday.

Hope all the rest of you are safe from these Canadian fires. Next door neighbors have a place on PEI, and they usually go from June to October. Not sure if they left, but I haven’t seen their car for a couple of days. Last year they came home early because of the hurricane that hit Canada. It’s always something.

Wem were here! So was George!Wem were here! So was George!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

You know I would if I could ,send rain or even snow melt. We’re back to Green and Yellow or low 14 to high around 69 for AQI throughout the state.

If you go out the Covid masks do help cut the particulates at least the ones that are reminiscent of bird beaks or early Poveglia masks.

@MsStretch 

Stay the heck inside today or try a mask if absolutely necessary, checked aqi and most states near you are under alerts.DC is closed to outdoor activities.

Check airnow dot gov for updates or download the app. Have one kicking around on cell for visits to Boston my lungs don’t like smog of any type anymore.

Froze

@catwoman500   Sorry about your air quality.  That must be horrid for people with lung issues!   I saw the news but thought it meant mostly NYC.  Makes sense that it covers a bigger area. I saved the picture, thank you!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , Right now, Willie Mae isn't talking to me. 😾 I accidentally stirred up some wasps and she was lounging on a chair on the deck.  All of a sudden, she took off.  I didn't think any got her, but she definitely got all huffy-puffy.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , @catwoman500 , how is the air looking up your ways?  Pretty hazy down here in VA.  @DaveMcK , are you seeing any of this?  The sun is totally hazed out today.  In fact, there have been times in the past few days when I've detected a barely imperceptible smell of smoke.  At first, I wondered who the heck was burning something (there are plenty of fire pits around here), but I guess it's apparent now. @Anonymous , you got out of Dodge just in time.

Speaking of pictures of reenactments, that would probably be me posting them, @Frozenoem .  Especially during the sesquicentennial (2012-2015), since I basically followed the Eastern theater of the Civil War from Fredericksburg to Appomattox with 2 cameras and a videocam in hand. 📷📹 There were plenty of commemorative programs, living history, and YES! reenactments!  (I regret I missed Gettysburg, but I was working then.)  Wandering through the Union and Confederate camps and talking and interacting with the soldiers was great fun.  I was even offered and tried some hardtack (c-r-u-n-c-h yuck!) and fried corn.  And of course, I met most of the generals from both sides and had some very interesting and enlightening conversations.  But, alas... CW reenactments are all but gone now, except maybe Gettysburg.  They still do artillery and arms demonstrations, but not the same as experiencing the "heat of the battle".

@catwoman500 , I have even 'met' George Washington at his boyhood home in Stafford Co.  I was so excited.  (Like a little kid. 😁)  Quite the learned man.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP