Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Silver Conversationalist

Excellent choice of locations for your get-a-way. Glad the salmon are hitting,fillets with a slice of lemon grilled are my favorite. Having to use a boat to get the morning paper is LIVING!!!!   Enjoy.  😊

Recognized Social Butterfly

Fence will be installed on Thursday!!  I cannot wait.

Weather has turned warm to hot.  People in neighboring counties report smoke from the northern fires.  I have not smelled or seen any.  Hope all the porchers we have not heard from are well 😋.

Silver Conversationalist

Congrats on the fences arrival. Must be an added sense of security for you. No smoke here but I'm a good distance away from the border. (central maine) I'm thinking froze might be smelling it over there in the western area. Stay well.

I do not have weather complaints!  We had a somewhat cool day yesterday, low humidity anyway.  Looks like the dog days are upon us and it will get hot & icky.  Only about 7 weeks left of the really bad stuff so take heart everyone.

My fence is scheduled for next week.  I am looking forward to that 😎.  

Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1688492728878.jpg

Today commemorates our Independence from the rule of England!

Honored Social Butterfly

Tempted to play hookie from work this week, why because  Windjammer Days started Wednesday 

in Boothbay Harbor.

Only tempted 2-3 hours drive and traffic vs moose and bison up here.Same distance but, more relaxing to go to Rangeley.

Prefer the idea of loons calling across lakes to crowds. Besides I think I’ve already been on 15 of the 17 schooners that showed up. Used to have an in when I lived around the corner😎 in Milbridge.

Decisions, decisions

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

Expecting 90  today so closed all the windows after being open for 2 months!!  Will not stay hot for very long it looks like.

@catwoman500  Double kudos for your birthday and wishing you many more.  

I did my 4th of July activity today, went to our local lake for the beautiful vistas and ran across this historical marker.  Have been here many times but forgot this nifty fact.Coosa.jpeg

Made it big so you can read it 😁.   The 2 streams mentioned are now gone and in its place is the man made lake.  Perhaps I was standing in Coosa as I took the picture?  Its possible. Not as good as Washington's crossing but  quite nice, I love early American history.

I plan on staying in for the next 4 days as the crowds will descend to the area and wipe out all the available groceries.  The garden is producing so we will not go hungry.  

Really crummy how so many of you are being affected by these fires.  I do not hear about them on the news anymore.

I too dread the fireworks, last year they were horrendous, no idea where they were coming from.  Guessing the winery on the nearby highway.

Silver Conversationalist

Just my 2 cents but its very hard to beat  Rangeley .

Honored Social Butterfly

No specific Independence Day plans for me, @DaveMcK . Of course, since July 4 is Tuesday, I am sure we will be regaled with fireworks 🎆 and firecrackers 🧨 and accompanying noise around the neighborhood for a very looooong weekend. 🙄 Always an occasion the furkids look forward to as they hunker down with their buds -- the raccoons and opossums in their various hidey holes. 🦝😾

Honored Social Butterfly

Fourth of July plans will be either ashore or afloat on 8000 acre lake in Maine. Heard the weather today, this month we’ve had 5 days without rain.

Plans tend to go awry? I want to go fishing - salmon and Brookies are calling. My Aluminum boat says not going out on lake again in thunderstorms, in which case it’s casting flies from shore. Bimini’s will keep you dry but, trying to steer a course with fish plotter is darn near impossible .Subject to change also have choice on camps to invade if it pours.

Needless to say it’s buggy this year, standing water and ever expanding lakes.Great time to check screens and ammonia supplies for bug bites vicious little darlings “skeeters”, state bird “black fly” haven’t been seen lately👍.

Hope all enjoy their fourth.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi there,  Peeps!

@Frozenoem ...Yep...as I sit here with my windows open (no need of AC as of yet 🤞) I'm hearing that we are in a red alert again because of the Canadian fires... Oh well. I don't have any respiratory issues. I did notice the air was smoky on my way home from book club today, but it doesn't smell like it did the last time.

@LaDolceVita ...yes, that was unusual to have to keep the windows closed that day because of coolness. I'm sure we'll be paying for it soon enough.

I, too, need some new fencing. Hoping my stepson can tie it back up somehow until I'm ready to shell out the $ for new stuff.

@DaveMcK@MsStretch ... 3 of us old ladies will get together for a little celebration on the 4th. I'm bringing wine and some snacky things, one lady is bringing wine and dessert, and the hostess will have stuff to make sandwiches. Then we'll play some games and jump out of our chairs when the boomers start. I always feel so bad for all the 4-legged furry babes. 

Had a couple of birthday celebrations this weekend. A lunch at my favorite place where they give the birthday person a free dessert. Then on my actual birthday, friends took me to a show at one of our local universities and out to dinner afterwards. 

Just like I like it... no fuss, no gifts! AND NOTHING TO REMIND ME THAT I AM NOW 75! 😱

You all take care and stay safe!

Havent Lost my marbles.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Interesting here in Southern Wisconsin we are being advised not to go outside. School districts are closing summer school programs until there is a major improvement in air quality.

I have not gone out for about 5 or 6 days.

I am diabetic which also puts me at risk for respiratory issues.

If you had Covid you are really at risk.

Honored Social Butterfly

What are everyone's 4th of July plans?

I imagine that we will be having a cookout at one of our daughters place. As of now I'm not sure witch ones.

Honored Social Butterfly

We had a very nice Father's Day breakfast out. I was both a father and a grandfather today. 

IMG_5072.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Porch Peeps! @DaveMcK@LaDolceVita@Frozenoem, @Anonymous, @MsStretch

@LaDolceVita …We’re going to the high 80’s today…almost time for the AC. 😾 I’ve been so happy sleeping at night under the comforter with the bedroom windows open…saving $ on electric, too! Love open windows!

@DaveMcK …Great looking brunch bunch! Glad you had a lovely time. 😸

More “Hardly” News from the burbs:

It’s Juneteenth…trash was collected, but there will be no mail today.

According to our governor and the Prez, I-95 will be back in business in two weeks…dunno about that, but hopefully. 🤔

We’re back to a code orange air quality today. 😾

I only sold one doll outfit yesterday, but one is better than none.😒

Finally got the porch summer ready last week and have been enjoying my morning coffee out there in my PJ’s for a few days now.

That’s about it for what’s going on here…such an exciting life. I do have some birthday stuff coming up this weekend, so that will be fun…I hope. Still haven’t been told what is going on Sunday, the actual birthday. I don’t like surprises, so hoping they let me know soon.

Time for more coffee!

You all hang in there!

Good Morning You are amazing.jpg

@catwoman500  Don't know how much longer I can keep the windows open, it is humid today.  When I close them I will it will be a chore, as they are open from the top pane, not the bottom.  Makes a difference because the air coming in from the top cools the house much more effectively.  I miss that @Anonymous, always something new and lively from  her.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps!

Happy Summer!

Sure doesn’t feel like it here. Cloudy, breezy, and cool with sprinkles. Don’t mind the cool temps, and we do need rain which will be here for most of the weekend.

@LaDolceVita ...most of my windows are closed today, it's that cool! Fingers crossed that I can keep the AC off for a few more days.

Hope everyone is safe from storms!

Hello Summer.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@LaDolceVita 

Doing the total cheapskate route for keeping cool thus far. Open the windows to cool 50’s by night and close them in morning, before temps rise to upper 80’s.

I admit I hate the new electric rates $50 last year, to $149 this month. Time to pull out the 

“Kill A Watt” and see what’s using so much electricity, $20-30 at hardware store.

IMG_3888.png

And turning off anything unnecessary except when needed, especially the hot water heater.I think I can wait the 10 minutes for hot water.

Froze 

@Frozenoem  Sounds like an extreme increase in electricity rates.  @catwoman500   Still have not closed the windows but we are heading for the 90s this weekend.  I am amazed that you had to close your windows because it was too cool!  

Waiting for the fence company to put fence around basement door.  I have 2 home made fences, one in the back yard, one near the pasture. Getting one of those fancy aluminum jobbers for this small area and I am getting very impatient.  No other news to report.😞.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Extreme would be an understatement on price raise of electrical.

Surrounded by woods has advantage with need for keeping windows closed by day, and lack of pavement keeps the area cool.Besides my back is not into putting an Air Conditioner in the window this year.

Presently 66* and raining at least until Friday, with one other little bit of joy. That joy is smoke in the air from Quebec fires. Have kept my inhalers close this week, and N95? Masks just in case.

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ms. Stretch @MsStretch , sending LOTS of hugs and luv for your "furbabies" 🐈🐈🐈🐈. Would luv another picture!

Nicole 😉

i-phone-cat-playing-with-iphone.gif

📸.gif attached📸

Kudos
Views

@Anonymous  That kitty funny!  Weather is wonderful here.  Have had all the windows open for about 5 weeks, never close them.  Last June was much hotter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(2 comments) Any plans for the weekend? 🤔

Me, still "thinking" about this! 🙄

Thinking of you, Nicole 🙃

dance-dancing.gif

📸.gif attached📸

@Anonymous   Just chores for me.  I try to do outings during the week as there are less crowds. lots of folks come to the mountains for the weekends so locals stay out of the way.  At least this local does.  

Weekday outings were a walk in Veterans Memorial Park and a visit to the city cemetery.  It's on top of a big hill overlooking downtown and I have friends buried there.  And I made the unavoidable trip to Walmart. 😑

Honored Social Butterfly

15-days of rain with 2-3 more coming, no cookouts planned but, summer is planned in 3 more days when sunshine hits with temps of 80’s.

Definitely climate change , can’t decide what fly to cast in the lakes.Even the skeeters are doing back strokes. I’m dreaming of land locked Salmon.

No comment on my sleeping habits, I was clothed when I left the house, cranky but clothed with no coffee or food.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey Peeps!

@LaDolceVita ...I agree. Love to get my errands done during the week so the "worker bees" can run all over the place on the weekends. Only one I still do is the grocery shopping on Sunday AM. Can't change that...too many "friends" to chat with as there are a load of regular Sunday shoppers who come at the same time every week, so we chat. Some of the employees even say we should request a table and chair be set up so we can all have a gab fest. 😸

Unfortunately, I have to do a CVS run tomorrow as I had to wait for a delivery today and the weather was a bit scary...thunderstorms and tornado warnings. The worst seems to be gone now, so 🤞.

You all take care! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy Wednesday @DaveMcK , @Frozenoem , @LaDolceVita , @MsStretch , @catwoman500 and Willie Mae 🐈.

Nicole 💃🥳

good-morning-tail-wagging.gif

📸.gif attached📸

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually looking forward to Walmart tomorrow! Why? 🤔 It is SUMMER/VACATION time = lots of OLD people in RVs and doggies to chat with. 💃🥳

Thinking of you guys TODAY,

Nicole 🤎🤗

dog-driving-car.gif

📸.gif attached📸

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got back from signing up for MEDICARE at my local LOA/office of aging. 💃🥳

Nicole 🙃

happy-banana.gif

📸.gif attached📸

Anonymous
Not applicable

(5 comments) @DaveMcK , @LaDolceVita , @MsStretch , @Frozenoem , @catwoman500 I NEED A CHAUFFER! 🙄

Tomorrow (Tuesday) appointment with my local LOA to sign up for the DREADED Medicare. My OLD doctor and dentist DOES NOT accept it! 😭😭😭 I turn 65 THIS September!

Wednesday, yes that WEEKLY "out of food" run to Walmart.

Thinking of you,

Nicole 🤎🤗

red-carpet.gif

📸.gif attached📸

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP