Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps,

Happy April!

April Fool cat.jpg

Got a phone call at 8 AM...woke me up but I couldn't get to phone in time. Thought it was an April Fool's joke. It was a credit card fraud alert. Booted up the computer and saw an email about a fraud alert. As I was reading the email another call came in from the bank. Geez! I am smart enough not to call the # they give you, so called the # on the back of my card. No problem. The charges they were concerned about were legitimate. Glad they are on the ball, but not so early on a Saturday morning thank you!

You all have a lovely day. Weather here is miserable and could get worse. 😾

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

My April. Fools day was awakening to 2-4” of snow it didn’t rain as promised by weatherman.

And an empty oil tank, this years been a pain in the something.I keep furnace at 50* to prevent freezing pipes.

Called oil company and the prices are astronomical for emergency fills, waiting until Monday. No way am I paying surcharges for now, it’s woodheat.

A jug of Apple Jack per year will get firewood hauled in by neighbor, for these thrilling moments in life.

You’re very correct on emails for charges or phone calls. Only deal with the apps on my phone. Everyone else gets the # on back of card.

Time to load wood cart, and damp the fire down. House has gone from 50 to 70* in an hour with fan on high.Then I think I’ll warm up myself with some Apple Jack, made from Apple Cider and -40* sugar concentration.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Lol @Frozenoem , what is the latest on your replacement mailbox and missing rx's? 🤣😂 Nicole 😉

Honored Social Butterfly

Saw my mailbox will get to it but, not for abit.

First tonight’s snow🤬 and my lower lumbar is gone, I may be close to pinning spine.

Prescription hasn’t surfaced as yet.

But, my oil fill has reappeared now if the remaining snowbanks disappear in another week perhaps the envelope will appear, barely 4-5’ pile.

Tomorrow or later Saturday 👀 ng forward to rain and temp’s hitting 49* perhaps.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , windy here 🌬️, but no notices from Dominion about possible outages.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a notice from the power company; it's usually from the weather service.  I can hear it howling now.

@DaveMcK , glad to see you got your avatar just in time for the opening of the season.

Honored Social Butterfly

UNDERBAT WAS ABLE TO REPLACE MY AVATAR. HE HAS ESCALATED MY ISSUE.

HAVE A RESTFUL NIGHT.

FB_IMG_1531966805431.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

@Frozenoem 

Thanks for your comments. 

My past experience has been that I have been able to change my Avatar two to three times a year for several years.

Now my Avatar went away and I can not restore it or install a  new one. 

Honored Social Butterfly

You need to borrow a Windows computer and pray that you can find your NEW password for entry to your account, via the login box.

That method has worked for most, tomorrow with luck I’ll remember to do that Re: my signature line.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Hoping everyone is ready for a Spring weekend. Ours will bring the last snow Friday night and Saturday I hope.

Speaking of lost I'm not able to restore my avatar that just went away! It is like the screen to change my Avatar is Frozen.

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Without a Windows computer or iMac the best suggestion is either at your local library or school, and logging in with your user name and password and returning your avatar that way.

I know the feeling though, keep forgetting to change my signature line when sitting at “Windows computer” or anyone else’s.

I’m lucky iphone sometimes plays nicely with AARP, other times, they’re fixing it and I totally forget to change anything.

Note: to NY and others check your local weather app if not snowing tonight and tomorrow and if in dark enough conditions without clouds, you may See the northern lights tonight and tomorrow.

Missed my chance last night it was raining and I honestly don’t feel like driving to the county (around 4 hours away for tonight’s show) .

Enjoy

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Sunday morning! We would like to introduce Baby Johnson our new Grandson.
Asher Alan Johnson
7lbs 11oz
20.5 inches
3/15/23 9:02 AM

FB_IMG_1678921635061.jpg

Resized_VideoCapture_20230316-144103.jpeg

Welcome to our world Asher! May you have a blessed life ahead of you!

Honored Social Butterfly

Congrats on the new grand haven’t had one of them in 18-19 years? I may have parked my memory somewhere in 2020 when everyone stopped aging.😎. .

Finally awake for roll call 👍 and trying my first cup of 207 dark roast coffee using the finest Marcal paper towel filter.🤣

Cracked my bottles of Bushmill and Jameson’s on St. Patty’s Day, purely for medicinal purposes, mixed with my coffee.

My mailbox has been located once more with the remainder of the pole, it was returned from a mile down the road. Now, I only need to find lag bolts and a couple of angle brackets with a new mailbox vs the mangled one and I should be golden again.

The snowpack is dwindling for the moment, haven’t spied my RX yet, perhaps after this weekends snow, or April.Barely 4.5’ left with 6”+ coming for the mountains. At least daytime temp’s have hit the 40’s for optimum melting temperatures and mud season  to begin.🤔

I spied my first bud on an actual tree yesterday, the flowers shouldn’t take much longEr to appear. Enjoy.

Froze

ps I think today is cocktail day, I may partake in some.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (3/16/23)

Dave @DaveMcK , luv your picture!!

@catwoman500 , one of my new neighbors has a huge 3-leaf clover hanging on her door.

Luv you ALL,

Nicole 🙃

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all Porch Peeps!

@DaveMcK, @Anonymous, @Frozenoem@MsStretch@LaDolceVita (and everyone else who happens on by today!)...a few more Irish toasts:

May the leprechauns be near you to spread luck along your way.

And may the Irish angels smile upon you on St. Patrick’s Day.

St. Patrick was a gentleman, who through strategy and stealth, drove all the snakes from Ireland. Here’s a bumper to his health.

And the most traditional of Irish blessings…

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, the sun shine warm upon your face, the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

And here's a photo of my Irish coffee... It was delicious!

Irish coffee 2023.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , yup, looking at flakes as I type. ❄️ No, wait, they stopped. Lasted all of 10 minutes. 😮💨 Whew!   Funny thing is I checked my weather app and it said 30% chance of heavy snow.  WHAT?!!  Then I saw it was weather for Elkton and I remembered I had been checking the weather near the Blue Ridge for another excursion next week in Shenandoah NP.

In the 40s here, down to the high 30s tonight so no chance of freezing roads.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch @Anonymous  @catwoman500 

Looks like I may be getting a storm Tuesday and Wednesday, subject to change as always it’s the East after all🤣.

Of heavy and wet that’ll be a first for this winter, and I’ll disappear, as per usual.

If light and fluffy see me then, I’ve heard so many amounts I’m confused.Even Hillbilly Weatherman out of NH is throwing different amounts for a change.Probably 6-10”+.

Hope y’all have fun, I brought in firewood so, what else is new. Have food and coffee, and percolators standing by.

Looks like I’ll see the lawn sometime around April?

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey Porch Peeps!

Picked up my rye bread and corned beef so I can have a sandwich tomorrow. Also picked up some Irish soda bread scones. There was a time I would make soda bread, but too much trouble now. 😹

Here’s to the land of the shamrock so green.

Here’s to each lad and his darling colleen.

Here’s to the ones we love dearest and most.

And may God save old Ireland- that’s an Irishman’s toast.

One more day...One more day...

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment(SUNDAY 3/12/23)

Ms. Stretch @MsStretch , did you get SNOW? 🤔

I did, my 1st for this WINTER!! 😭

Lol, got to go dig out my shovel... 🤣🤣

On the "serious" side - not much, just enough to look "pretty" on TOPS of cars! 💃🥳

So since I am RETIRED and do not have to go anywhere until Wednesday for my weekly "out of food" run = I will let the "rain" (which has arrived) WASH it off. 😉 Took me until last year to LEARN "easy" snow removal being from Florida. 🙄

The only concern I have is when the snow becomes ICE instead of "melting" when it RAINS. 😭

Hmmm, I think @Frozenoem and Lee @LeeS4949 JINXED me with all that talk about digging out from their mess... 🤔

Dave @DaveMcK , hope you and Mary are all bungled up and keeping warm.

The same for you @LaDolceVita and @catwoman500 .

My daughter in Florida FORGOT the time changed today. 🙄 Usually I text her to "remind" her but working on NOT being the "annoying" Ma. 🙄 But will return to being one in November for our NEXT time change./lol 😂🤣

HAPPY SUNDAY porchers & "other" community board members! 🥳💃

Luv you ALL,

Nicole 🙃

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

We stayed in on Saturday. 

We adventured out on Sunday to a brunch with family for Mary's birthday!

One of our daughters and Son-in-law drove us. A great time was had by all.

FB_IMG_1678740024670.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment(SATURDAY 3/11/23)

Any plans for the weekend? 🤔

Me, staying in! 🙄

Luv you ALL,

Nicole 🙃

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps!

Starting to get in the "shake my shillelagh" mood as next Friday is the day! ☘️

@MsStretch ...Geez, Louise...be careful. I love that you do all this exploring and kinda envy you, but holy cow!

@Frozenoem ...same thing. Living alone is not for sissies, especially where you live!

@LaDolceVita ...just had my taxes done. I never was one for math until I started teaching the first graders and then it all fell into place and I wondered why they didn't teach me the way I found it easy to teach my classes. Still...I get overwhelmed with all that gibberish on the tax forms so would rather let an expert do it. 

@Anonymous ...nice to see you back.

Here's an Irish blessing from "Toasts," by Paul Dickson (and I have a couple more for the coming week) 😺

May the Irish hills caress you.

May her lakes and rivers bless you.

May the luck of the Irish enfold you.

May the blessings of St. Patrick behold you.

Slainte!

Irish coffee glass.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

I checked my post twice and still don’t know of any expletives used. Best I can recall is at least AARP has shorter jail times than Facebook, just several bleeps.🤔

My spellchecker May have “erred”

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , unfortunately it seems like it's never too early for ticks.  Found another one in my leg last night. 😲 Don't know where that one was hiding before then, because that surely hitched a ride home with me from the woods.  The snake was a surprise.  It was laying in the sun before I disturbed it and it slithered off in the leaves.  It was a mildish day, but not what I'd call snake-warm.

@Frozenoem , when the time changes, it's not just the microwave's and stove's clocks to reset, I also have to pay attention to my Garmin GPS eTrex and assorted cameras (not phone). Always handy to have a date stamp in the metadata when downloading pics and waypoints/routes.  I may not remember when I was at a certain place, but if I took a picture, easy enough to determine. 😊 Particularly handy when you have years of pictures and GPS hiking routes. 

@Anonymous , calling for rain here.  I heard some weather reports say some areas N of me can expect snow, but nothing significant.  Here in morning. Gone by noon.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Sprayed my clothes with Permethrine, it’s a necessity up here when the weather starts warming up. Even for false Springs looks like more dbl digit snows may arrive next week at least here.The bugger always in the overnight lows and pipeline from West or Canada.

Spent the morning playing in woodpile, and moving snow again at least there has been some melt.

Red “Repel” is probably April here, with luck. Forgot about GPS lent mine to my ex when my mobility went byebye, sticking to known trails for awhile - ponds, lakes and fields, trust me I will be spraying liberally then during peeper times.

@Anonymous 

Checked my weather and it looks like we have a **bleep**

Time to play

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment(TUESDAY 3/7/23)

Oh my goodness Ms. Stretch @MsStretch , please be careful!!! 😱😱😱

Luv you ALL,

Nicole 🙃

Recognized Social Butterfly

Checking in folks.  Too busy as tax season approaches.  I will get those pesky things done in the next week or so and then I will feel much better.  @MsStretch  you had quite the adventure.   Ticks already?   I have not been watching for snakes during my walks but maybe I better start.  I already know where th ticks hang out on my place so I may have to skirt those again.

Honored Social Butterfly

I went on another adventure on Hazel River in Shenandoah NP yesterday.  Three old homesites, artifacts, a family cemetery (just fieldstones, no inscriptions), and an old car.  Daffodils already coming up in the mountains which makes finding homesites so much easier.  And the cemetery plots had daffodils in the depressions!  Unfortunately, looking like bushwhacking season will be cut shorter this year given the green buds and blooming starting to appear.  Pulled a tick out of my shoulder.  My fault -- forgot to spray liberally with red Repel. 😖

Had 2 river crossings which I hate.  Hopping deftly from rock to rock is something I no longer do with grace and all that much confidence.  Skootching across fallen trees is more my speed.  The 2 crossings yesterday actually had boulders strategically placed across the water, but when I see water rushing under and around them, it changes my whole perspective.  The key is not to think about it, just commit and go.  On return trip, at the last crossing which I had maneuvered successfully going in, I was midstream when I noticed my next step looked pretty far and it was to a narrow part of the rock.  I stopped.  (Now, mind you, I also had 2 hiking sticks for added stability.)  BAD mistake.  I started overthinking it.  What if I can't make it?  What if I fall?  What if I get wet?  Worse, what if my phone and camera get wet?  Finally, standing on a rock in midstream, I closed my eyes to collect myself, told myself quit thinking about it, just open eyes and go.  I did.  The stick in my left hand slipped on a wet rock and out from under me and I went down! 😱  Fortunately, I did not go in the water🫣, but I hit the rocks hard.  Cracked my left shin on the rock I was stepping from and smashed my hand in an attempt to hang on for dear life. However, I survived.  Sore, but dry.  Times like this, I ask myself, "And why do I keep doing this?"  Because the 'treasures' you find make it worthwhile. 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

6 comments(SATURDAY 3/4/23)

👋Hello Everyone!

8 more days for Daylight Saving Time (Sunday 3/12) when we lose an hour. 😭

SO GLAD I am retired! 🥳💃

I remember the Monday after, dragging into work and dragging all day. Losing that hour's sleep was no fun...

Lol, one morning way back in my 20's, I was working for an attorney firm with several attorneys in Florida and was wondering where everyone was. Even got a good parking spot! Parking lot was empty.

Yes, I forgot to set my clock back. 😱 

And I was the JOKE for the day as word spread. 😂🤣

I NEVER forgot again. Back then I was using an old-fashion wind up clock. 😱 Remember those? 🤔 And no fancy Android like I now have thanks to my daughter in Florida which auto resets. GRATEFUL....

Luv you ALL,

Nicole 🙃

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

Ah the joy of DST, I admit I’m thrilled by the iPhone, Satellite and computer resets of time. Just wish I didn’t need to set the coffeemaker, stove and microwave or the furnace thermometer.

@LeeS4949 

Hope you shoveled or plowed out. But, until April 1I never count out next storms. The good news is I spied dirt in my driveway again took long enough.And after today my snow piles to street are standing at 7 1/2 feet, think some blew away in the wind while I slept.😎

803F156C-1C69-46DA-B790-7030FE457CF5.jpeg

Tomorrow another try with DFAS and digging out my window sills (maybe). Just in time for next week or this Saturdays storm.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP