Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Really going to try the warm bit this weekend, with Negative highs on Friday and Saturday for actual temps, -50’s for windchill days.

Been a weird week lost a friend of 30+ years, finally got an appointment for flu & Covid that’ll prove great whenever the service is for friend.

@DaveMcK 

Been there for the need of dental work, maybe March that should allow time for everything to work out for me. No dental works until March or April, courtesy of pacemaker.

52951F33-FE9D-45AD-97C8-B9DC127E859F.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Silver Conversationalist

So glad thats over for awhile

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Looks Like I should advise my one stepson to get out the shorts and tee shirts since according to your map, Portland will see balmy wind chills of only -38! Geeze Louise!

We're getting the freeze this weekend, too, but only for a couple of days and nowhere near your temps. Brrrr! Snowed for hours today and didn't even make the grass white! 

So far, we're getting away with a mild winter...knock on wood.

We'll see what Punxsutawney Phil will say Thursday. 

Groundhog coffee.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Most of the people who wear shorts and flip flops in town thru Winter, we’re wearing 6 layers today, although it was a relatively warm 2.

I’m personally sticking with Wool and parka, something about the pacemaker and meds has me in slippers , only down to 30* then the boots need to come out.

Time to bring in firewood to defrost not taking any chances during this cold snap.

The good news is temp’s will rebound to 40’s later👍👍.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

This morning started at 8:30 at the dentist to get a tooth prepared for a crown which will be installed February 9th. I also had an old filling replaced. Good news was that I did not need a root channel in the area of the crown. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK ...root canals are not fun! Glad you don't need one!

So....

Yay, Birds!

It's a Philly thing!It's a Philly thing!

We are going to the Super Bowl!

Can’t wait to see good ole Andy Reid and his Chiefs in combat!

And Kelce vs Kelce! Whoa...poor Mom and Dad, but lucky Mom and Dad since they will be winners in any case!

“It’s a Philly thing!”

Honored Social Butterfly

It’s a lovely 24* and cloudy, this is warm.

1-3”of snow coming they say ,and temp’s will plunge later in the week ~ Arctic time.🤔

Me thinks it’s time to play with firewood

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good after to all of the Front Porchers! Hoping you are have a great day! We are looking at an overnight snow storm with about 4" of white stuff. 

Have a restful evening.

I'm having an issue posting photos. Am I the only one?

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Tuesday am, I may be having issues with tomorrows forecast.

C63BF182-32DC-4E63-9BB2-F09BD869EE05.jpeg

I’m in the deep blue zone 6-12” probably, only got 12’ into the plow bank think I may hire a teenager, it’s easier.

Have fun y’all

Froze

Silver Conversationalist

Good luck with the teenager thing. Last time I tried that he wanted more than my first car cost.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 

Called my neighbor, 10 minutes later he found the oil fill beneath that last black shutter down by the garage , and had cleared the path👍.

Oh what I wouldn’t give to be 40-ish again.Tomorrow oil that costs more than my first Mustang and Wagoneer, used but, they survived ME winters.🤔

As long as I remembered to park on level ground, to close the tailgate on Jeep. And. Locked the hood down with a chain and padlock. Times I miss that vehicle, license plate floors and all its little hiccups.

Still living up country.

Time for an early fire and sleep, one more day to oil.

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi folks. Many of your old timers  will recall that my mom had a major stroke which has kept her in bed  since 2018.  She passed on to join her beloved parents, sister  and husband this morning about 6AM.  She did so with the help from hospice here in our mountain home.  I fetched her friend and companion from the nursing home forthe night's vigil.  I wish I did not feel so crummy.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Finally logged in.

@LaDolceVita 

Condolences on your mother, been there once too many times. It will take awhile but, she’s seeing friends again over the bridge.

@DaveMcK @MsStretch @catwoman500 

@LeeS4949 

Put it this way is I had won the billion $, I’d be on a beach elsewhere 🍺 ng, not sitting and awaiting another 16” of snow on Wednesday with no oil in my tanks. The winner hasn’t appeared as yet!

Re: Shrinkage doesn’t happen at the leg length, convinced it the straightness of the spine and top half. Come Summer might be tall again seriously considering metal rods to my spine for built in sled runners.Probably in Boston not in Maine🤔.

Had a Gunnyy friend do the same surgery and his Doc had bogus credentials, that remains to be seen.Consider all surgeries with research, etc.

The suggestion has been on the books since 1970?, it’s filed under when the pain outweighs the risks we’ll see.

Shoveled 16” of snow and cracked a few ribs, never shovel at night. Need to find oil fill before the next storm on Wednesday🤬.

Tires for snowblower are lost in FedEx or Ups land, replacements are Re-ordered came from flooded truck in South lands.I’m plowed in by pesky Mr. Plow guy.😡

Think that’s all the news that’s fit to type.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem  I also didn't win again! I have a friend that keeps telling me that I would have a better chance of winning if I would have a better chance of winning if I bought a ticket. HMMMMM!

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

I think we’re in the same boat, although I do have a winning number guaranteed by a nationally known psychic, that has too few digits.

Haven’t won since first MA lottery, woohoo $500. Never again.

Froze

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

I am so sorry, @LaDolceVita .  It is never easy for those of us left behind.  Bless her.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita...prayers going out to you and your friends and family. ❤️

Silver Conversationalist

My sincere condolences and prayers to you.

Honored Social Butterfly

So when is @Frozenoem going to come forward and cash in his Mega Million ticket?

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK ....that is exactly why I came on here today...to ask the same question of @Frozenoem! LOL🤣

Honored Social Butterfly

Happy birthday and good luck to Diane. 🎂🍀

However, I'm doomed and not just on Friday the 13th.  OK, I do avoid breaking mirrors (because that's just too messy and a PITA to clean up), but avoiding black cats?  🐈🤣🐈 Not spilling any salt? 😄 Umbrellas?  (What? I'm supposed to wait until I'm IN the rain getting wet to open them?) 😁 Picking up money? I'm not picky about how it's facing and I generally call tails anyway in a coin toss. 🪙

But I guess I'm safe since I don't consider myself a paraskevidekatriaphobic. 🤞🤞(Now where did I put my rabbit's foot? 😉)

Silver Conversationalist

LOL!!! Made my night. 😂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I would like to wish my sister Diane a happy birthday today! Why am I wishing her a Happy Birthday here? 

Well today is the 13th! 

So what does that mean to everyone that were born on a 13th of any month: 

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- We have some good and bad news for anyone who is superstitious. 

There are only two Friday the 13ths in 2023 and we are getting the first out of the way on Jan. 13. But many of you may be wondering when the second spooky Friday is. 

Well, we have some eerie news for you. 

The last Friday the 13th of 2023 is in the spookiest month of the year: October. This might not be a good sign for people who get creeped out by the day. 

Did you know there is a name for someone scared of Friday the 13th? 

The word for fear of Friday the 13th is a little difficult to say. It's called paraskevidekatriaphobia. 

For those of you who don't know, here are some things someone who is superstitious will avoid doing on Friday the 13th:

• Avoid breaking any mirrors
  • Don't walk under any ladders or by any black cats
  • Don't open an umbrella indoors
  • Don't spill any salt
  • Don't pick up a penny facing down

Happy Birthday to all of you born on January 13!

FB_IMG_1670196968825.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , too bad the Commanders' win didn't matter in the scheme of things, not even to the Eagles since they won their game, too.  Congratulations to Philadelphia for clinching top seed in the NFC!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , @LeeS4949 , if this had been spring or summer, no way I would have explored that property because of snakes (VA has copperheads and rattlers) and other critters.  Plus it would have been way too overgrown.  Already had to fight through some greenbriar.  Not to mention those pesky ticks and chiggers.  In fact, may not have even been able see the house from the road. 

Not that I like hiking in freezing cold weather, but winter is bushwhacking season -- the best time to explore off-trail.  When vegetation is dead, you would be amazed at how much "hidden" stuff you can see. 🥾

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Congrats on the Commanders' win over the dreaded 🤠s! Nice tromp! 😸

Honored Social Butterfly

No big weekend plans except for a CT scan tomorrow.

Did not find the logging camp last Tuesday, but did happen upon an abandoned house that was interesting to explore.  Driveway was chained but didn't see any 'No Trespassing' signs.  I have a white truck with orange cones in back (just for occasions like this 😁) and threw on a hi-vis vest that I just happened to have behind seat. Just trying to look "official".  However, we never... NEVER... disturb or take anything (other than photos).  

-----House on a hill.  What stories are hidden here?-----House on a hill. What stories are hidden here?

----- Looks like a nice couch in its hey day.  Note the lathe work on the wall.  Don't see that in construction anymore.  This was a flaky house with walls, ceilings, and floors falling in.  Not recommended to enter old buildings like this *wink! wink!* unless you are very careful where you step at ALL times.----- Looks like a nice couch in its hey day. Note the lathe work on the wall. Don't see that in construction anymore. This was a flaky house with walls, ceilings, and floors falling in. Not recommended to enter old buildings like this *wink! wink!* unless you are very careful where you step at ALL times.

----- Shed on back of property.  There was also an old camper, boat, dog houses.----- Shed on back of property. There was also an old camper, boat, dog houses.

----- Dead doll.   oooooEEEEEEooooo----- Dead doll. oooooEEEEEEooooo

Abandoned property and history fascinate me.  Can you tell? 😉

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Love how you are able to get back into your explorations! This is fascinating! I'd love to do that if I was more mobile. You seem to find so many interesting places. Freaky dead doll! Looks like one of those Barbie hair-do things. Yikes! 😲

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (Friday 1/6/23) Love those pictures @MsStretch !!! You are SO BRAVE - me, scared of snakes since I was a child and my grandma took me at age 5 to see a HUGE boa constrictor. (Spelling off I am sure 🙄) It was BIGGER than me!!! 😱 To this day, I 👀 a snake, I will go 10 miles out of my way to avoid it/lol 🤣😂 Luv you, Nicole 🤎🤗

Silver Conversationalist

I'm with you on the snake thing. Cant stand them. I think its a leg thing. Any creature with more than 4 OR less than 2 legs I dont want anything to do with.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP