Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Gestures of kindness can mean so much.

Message 1 of 5

I was recently grocery shopping and in line with an elderly gentleman.. His cart was full of nothing but fruits and veggies and of those multiples.. No meats, dairy or junkfood , ect... He asked the cashier to check the amount as he thought he wouldn't have enough $$ to pay.. She started taking bags of oranges out when a woman lanes over told her not to.. She wanted to pay any amount he may have gone over.. The cashier tried to explain why she wasn't taking things off his total.. He didn't want to accept but the lady was very kind and told him please allow her to do this as He deservered it!  I felt tears coming.. In this day and age we just don't see alot of  compassion and kindes. I caught up to that woman in the parking lot and told her what a sweet and kind thing she did.. Maybe this could be a" Lead by example".. She definately paid it forward..

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

2012 was a bad year for me.  Our house burned down that summer and  that Christmas week my husband was in the hospital.   I don't recall what he wanted but my husband sent me on an errand to Walmart to get something for him a few days before Christmas. I'm afraid I did not have a smile on my face with so much on my mind.   An older man stopped me in the parking lot and handed me a beautiful carved wooden spool that was carved and painted with a Santa face.   He said he thought I looked like I could use a little Christmas spirit.

I thanked him.

My husband died on Christmas Day that year...but the memory of that year is made a bit brighter by the kindness of a stranger.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I'm reminded of a time over 25 years ago.  At the time I was renting a studio upstairs from our local art association.  It was located just a few blocks from a therapist I was seeing at the time and when the weather was nice I walked instead of driving.

On this particular day I had forgotten that a volunteer would be working at the association when I returned.  During the appointment I had come to terms with something that had happened in my past and was thinking about it during the walk.  I was rather relieved to see a car that I didn't recognize and thought I would not have to try and talk to a friend, because I was not in the mood.

Upon opening the door I noticed the volunteer was one of our older members,  probably in her late 70's or early 80's and looked like someone's grandmother.  She was actually knitting to kill the time because the gallery was empty.  She also had the coffee pot on.

I don't remember what she asked me, but I suddenly told her everything that had been discussed during the appointment with the therapist, things I had never told anyone.  She listened to me, making no judgements, asking no questions, offering no advice.  I don't know how long I talked, but when I stopped she told me about her own childhood and her marriage.

I just listened.  

Nobody came into the gallery the entire afternoon and before long it was time for closing.  After all the doors were locked and the lights turned off, she gave me the kind of hug a grandmother would have given to a child.  No more words were necessary and no further conversations were ever held.  However, after that anytime our paths crossed she gave me another of those hugs.  I can only wonder if she had any idea of how much that meant to me.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5
Elderly Man Visits A Park Bench Dedicated To His Late Wife Every Day
FEBRUARY 10, 2015BY CHRIS TERNATE

It's hard to imagine the sort of grief one goes through when coping with the loss of a loved one, especially when that person is your spouse. However, 82-year-old Bud Caldwell has found a little bit of solace in the form of a very special park bench in his native Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. This particular park bench was purchased by Caldwell as a dedication to his late wife Betty. Since her passing two years ago, Caldwell visits the bench every day to not only speak to her but leave her two very treasured mementos.  He leaves her a penny for the song "Pennies From Heaven" and a daisy in reference to the song "A Daisy a Day." 

When his path was obstructed by the winter's snow though, a pair of park maintenance workers decided to lend the elderly man a hand. They cleared the path so he could make his daily visit and tell Betty hello.  It's a welcome reminder that true love is hard to find and it can in fact stand the test of time.

http://simplereminders.collectivepress.com/he-leaves-a-penny-at-this-park/?s=sr

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Gestures of kindness can mean so much.

Message 5 of 5
Man Facebook post goes viral after an elderly customer unexpectedly passed him a note

A North Carolina man shared his story on Facebook after receiving an unexpected note from an older gentleman in a packed restaurant. Although the old man couldn’t speak, he sure knew how to get someone’s attention.

The Facebook post has since gone viral, being shared thousands of times on social media. Read it below.

Farris Leonard
“Today I went to Lane’s Ferry Grill to eat lunch. Great staff and food. I needed a real bacon cheeseburger. Place was packed. Now the rest of the story…

As I sat alone with one seat open an elderly gentleman caught my attention and pointed to the chair and motioned if he could sit down. I replied sure. He was filling out his order sheet and one of the staff came to say to me that the gentleman communicated by passing notes because he couldn’t hear or speak well. They asked if he could sit there. I responded we had already worked that out.

As we sat and passed notes, we filled up both sides of his paper, I only wondered the things he had seen. Well he met JFK, in the ’40s he went to Arizona and it was 120 degrees. Yes, we wrote about the weather. What a great lunch!

I tell this story that may seem insignificant, only to share just how significant it was. As I sat there I wondered if and hoped that I was making a better day for this 93 year young gentleman.

But then it hit me and it gave cause to write my final note to him which said, “Sir I want to thank you for sharing lunch with me. I must go now but I want you to know that you made my day a better day. Take care of yourself.” You should of seen his eyes and smile as he read it. He embraced his heart and gave me a handshake that was real. We hugged and took a picture.

This story is not about what I did but about what we all can do. With a little time, a lot of compassion and not being about “me” and “I’” so much, we could help make and be in a better place. Passing notes with this gentleman was priceless.”

With all the negative, divisive stories in the media, it’s great to see a beautiful story of compassion between two strangers.

Agree? Pass it on and let us know your thoughts on AARP.

Join me in posting other gestures of kindness. These can be something someone did for you or you did for someone else.  
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.