Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Does anyone have the AARP Roadside Assistance?

Periodic Contributor

Does anyone have the AARP Roadside Assistance?

My insurance agent dropped a bombshell on me yesterday stating that they will no longer be carrying Towing Insurnace on insurnace policys that have multiple vehicles ( even though they are all insured through them). This makes me very uncomfortable as I am a widow and no longer have a husband to come rescue me if I was to ever have a breakdown.

I called AARP's RA (Roadside Assistance) customer service line but could never get a straight answer on one very important question. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I drive a classic car. I have had to have that car towed 3 times in the last 4 years. There is only one towing company, and suprisingly enough also the cheapest one in the area, that knows how to tow and treat a classic vehicle with respect. So that is the one I use. All the rest could care less about how they treat anything they tow.

The lady on AARP's RA Customer Service line was just the sweetest thing. But she did not understand my question no matter how many different ways I put it to her. The question is this....

With my insurance company I could pay the $95 to have my car towed, then present the bill to the insurnace company and they would mail me a check for $95. I need to know.... does AARP RA do the same thing?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My experience with AARP Roadside Assistance has been nothing but positive for over 12 years. They used to use contractors and the service belonged to and was run by AARP. A few years ago, they switched to Allstate Roadside Assistance and I believe that is now their sole service provider. In direct answer to your question, if you need a tow or a gallon of gas or a flat tire repair or you need a jump-start or you are locked out of your car, you call AARP Roadside Assistance at their direct number and they will arrange for someone to be dispatched to help you. You can check with your local guy who knows how to handle your classic vehicle and see if he is listed with AARP Roadside Assistance or Allstate Roadside assistance as a provide. If he is not and wants to be, he should contact them to become listed.

The procedure you used with your insurance company is NOT the way most roadside assistance programs work outside of insurance companies. The insurance companies just do not want to get into the business of dispatching tow trucks when someone else already does it.

Bottom line: AARP Roadside Assistance does not work the way it is done with insurance companies. You call them directly and they dispatch whomever is on their provide list and is available to be dispatched

Hope this helped.

Periodic Contributor

Since it is quite obvious that you have speculation rather than a definitive answer, I will unsub from this thread and look for my answer elsewhere. I would just delete it, but that is not an option.

0 Kudos

Wow.  That was so unnecessary.  Leave.  Your pessimism is not needed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

sd8250,

My response was anything BUT speculative !! I have used this service at least a dozen times over the 12 years I've had it ! Maybe I was just lucky but my experiences with them have been nothing but great !!

One other thing to note: don't expect any of the roadside assistance companies or providers to cater to your whims ! If AARP Roadside Assistance cannot provide you with someone to help you, then you are free to arrange service from someone else and then submit your receipt for reimbursement. Reading your response, it is quite obvious that you are one of those people who will NEVER be satisfied with just about anything. Speaking strictly for myself, your unsubscribing from this thread is no great loss to the community !

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We have roadside service from AAA because it is available anywhere. Also our Toyota is covered by them. We can get the service station near our home to come and they use a flatbed truck but the drivers like other AAA providers are pot luck.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Periodic Contributor

Please stay away from the AARP roadside assistance by Allstate. It is a rip-off. Allstate does not honor and pay legitimate claims. AARP Members - stay away. AARP - find another insurance carrier for this program. Allstate is just ripping off AARP members
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sorry. You misunderstood the question. I was not speaking of AAA. They are out of the question in this area. I was speaking of AARP's Roadside Assistance.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I fully understand your point! Like the other insurance programs that AARP has I'm sure their roadside program is handled by a third party insurer. It could even be AAA. I would still think that you should check into other Road side insurancers in your area. I would also suggest that you check with the people that service your vintage car to see if they have any ideas about towing insurance. For the short term I would suggest that you us the towing service you have and pay the bill. Also see if they will give you a special rate. 

Also I was pointing out why AARP like AAA would most likely not meet your needs.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP