Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

**CLOSED ** MORNING ROLL CALL OCTOBER 2022.

Honored Social Butterfly

**CLOSED ** MORNING ROLL CALL OCTOBER 2022.

Spoiler

*********CLOSED**********

MORNING ROLL CALL OCTOBER 2022.         

Good morning everyone on this first morning of October 2022. “A birthday in October can be a special treat; the harvest has begun of pumpkins, gourds, and wheat. So, on your happy day, here’s a birthday wish for you – May you gather joy and laughter, love and friendship, too.” 

October Calendar

• October 4 marks the start of Yom Kippur, at sundown.
  • October 9 is Leif Eriksson Day. Who was Leif Eriksson and why was he important?
  • October 10 is a busy day, with three holidays packed into it:
    • Canadian Thanksgiving. This holiday shares many similarities with its American equivalent. However, there are a number of things that set the Canadian Thanksgiving apart!
    • Columbus Day (U.S.), a federal holiday, is observed on the second Monday in October. It was on October 12, 1492, that Christopher Columbus landed on a small island in the Bahamas, convinced that he had reached Asia. Read more about Columbus Day.
    • Indigenous Peoples’ Day (U.S.)—a holiday that celebrates the history and cultures of indigenous peoples native to what is today the United States. Indigenous Peoples’ Day is celebrated in cities and states across the country, often alongside or in lieu of Columbus Day. Read more about Indigenous Peoples’ Day.
  • October 18 is St. Luke’s Little Summer. This is a date steeped in folklore. Traditionally, around Saint Luke’s feast day, there is a period brief period of calm, dry weather. Learn more.
  • October 24 is United Nations Day, which aims to bring awareness to the work of the United Nations across the world.
  • October 31 is Halloween (All Hallows’ Eve)! Do you know the true history of Halloween? It’s not as frightful as you might think… Learn about the origin of Halloween.
il_794xN.3508068557_t1m3.jpg

il_794xN.3508068557_t1m3.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Recognized Social Butterfly

@catwoman500   Wow, new car!    I desperately need one too, min will be 22 years old this fall.  Will finish the move on September 15 when all the furniture is moved by the movers.  Perhaps things will be easier then.  

@Frozenoem  Yes I do agree being fall is a problem when you fall.  I have escaped injury many times due to my lack of height.  Except falling down the stairs.  Waiting for cooler weather.  A bit of wind sounds pretty good about now, do not want to be blown away though.

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

76* feels like 65*, darn near took flight getting the mail. 

You and the ex seem to be the only peeps who have bought new this year. Hers’ is coming with 48kw of solar panels, batteries , and can feed the grid. Used the rebate program and got a 2021 Nissan Leaf EV., she will be keeping the Tundra 4x4 for winter driving.

We’ll know next year how this fares in Maine👍
Backfeeding the grid means lower utility bills or none.And charging the battery of EV should prove interesting, especially come winter. Her house and land both have good southern exposure and her rack (holds the 10-480 Watt solar panels)which will track the Sun.

The crap shoot is how the EV handles Winter temp’s and not a daily driver for snow. Unless the roads are cleared, memories of scraping the wheel wells to drive the Jetta in winter.

Maybe next year for me - either solar or ev or both. Remains to be seen, at least my heart hasn’t paused since August 1 a definite improvement. A friend in town at 7’ tall was right the bugger about being tall is the distance when you fall.

Enjoy

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

JaniceD293047

It would be nice if you would post some pictures and information about the lights you have seen. There should be a topic about lighthouses I've seen. 

0 Kudos

Hello folks.  I am somewhat getting used to living in a disorganized mess so no complaints from me this week.  Still do get irritated when I cannot find something.  Happens dozens of times a day 😓.  Learning the roads and driving on curves.  

@MsStretch & @Frozenoem  I wish you improvement in health.  I want to read that you are hiking again.

I am almost happy today, living so close to what feels like mother nature at her finest.  The air is clean and I no longer need to count down to fall.  Tomorrow high temp will be 79 and will stay there for the foreseeable days.  Very early cooldown and after suffering a hot June & July it is so welcome.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

From what I recall of moves, always pack and label important stuff-coffee & expresso. Pots, drips, etc. And never ever allow kin to pack boxes. Still 👀 ng for my Squall jacket, all I’ve seen is my Burberry Trench coat, not country wear. Last time I wore came home to 4 casseroles and 4 dozen muffins, in case I didn’t want to cook after the funeral, there wasn’t one.

Hikes can’t wait hopefully before snow flies, up to 3 -4 miles with rests.Haven’t hit trails as yet give me time maybe mid-September.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

@MsStretch 

@DaveMcK 

@catwoman500 

Afternoon all?

Presently 60* and raining, more specifically a Nor’easter coming in from coast.👍 Tomorrow and today glorious rain, I think I might be overly excited.

Started a fire for warmth 10 minutes ago, and now it’s off to dreamland. Setting alarm for 7 pm, then it’s off to store.

Oh yeah Aurora will be visible in Northern facing skies for next 3 nights, depending upon cloud cover.Wanta guess where I’ll be🤔

That suggest even Dave May get a chance to view, naked eye maybe, 25% viewer probably.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , nothing wrong with old clover and wild strawberries.  Native plants?  Many peeps are opting out of green manicured lawns, and going native.  Win, win, as far as I am concerned.  Migrating species have a place to "naturally" take a break.  Less maintenance like constant watering which is a REAL problem in some areas and even downright prohibited.  Less fertilizing and putting other questionable chemicals on the lawns.  Less mowing.  I'm all about letting nature do her thing.  Well... to a certain extent.  Don't want everything to get overgrown with invasive weeds, so some work required.  (OK.  OK.  I'll get off my environment soapbox now. 😁)

One day at a time.  One step at a time.  Eventually you will start to feel somewhat normal again and back to doing 'fun things' like 3-mile hikes and 5 miles and the sky becomes the limit. 😄  (We can all hope and dream -- the best motivator.)

@LaDolceVita , I agree -- moving is NOT fun. 

It's summer time and mountains are always cooler so maybe the frenzied traffic and pace will slow down when vacation time is over.

@catwoman500 , I am on a break from those "yucky days", because I have hep C.  Need to get treated first, since chemo suppresses my immune system.  Never thought I'd be one of those immunocompromised peeps. 😒  Saw doc today and have to get more blood work and another scan of liver and back to see him next month, so looks like treatments of one sort or another will be dragging well into next year when I was hoping to be done by November.  Ah well, it could be worse.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

I’ve been a fan of natural scapes since moving up here. Like how even crunchy grass it green.

Last night it poured and actually considered grabbing a different shirt this am. A warmer one.😀

Temporary lapse in judgement for the remainder of week cool temps here, 50’s by night mean sleep.

And it may be time to lock porch doors and close car windows, yellow squash , zucchini and corn ears appear overnight on seats or in front of doors.

Tomorrow the Doctor and how well I’m healing, only occasional colorful language, when I forget the rules of healing.

Guess it back T o playing Handels Messiah vs Creedence or Bo Carter when walking, can’t offend children’s delicate  ears .

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK , sorry to hear about your positive test.  Thank God for being vaxxed, at least, to avoid more dire consequences.

Hot and miserable here too.  Northeast suffering record heat, but this will be the norm I'm afraid unless we do something about it.

Chemo on hold, because now I have hepatitis. 🤷 Liver enzyme count was up, so had to get an ab ultrasound (inconclusive), then MRI which came back clean, but other labs showed the hep C. Another doc appointment in near future to determine treatment.  Another little speed bump.

However, my friend and hiking partner, came to visit and we went for a short jaunt at the Civil War Park in Stafford.  It is the site of a Union winter encampment in the winter of 1863. It is a extraordinary place if you are in to that type of thing. It was hot and it was actually my first adventure in months.  Trails through historic remains do not total more than 2 miles (if that much) and it's in the woods so plenty of trees to provide shade, Having not been there for awhile, we decided to check it out and see if anything was new.  I really wasn't sure how much I'd be capable of doing and my friend does not tolerate heat well, so we figured easy enough to test our current limits and bail if things got too intolerable.  Well, my friend and I who normally go look for old homesites and forgotten cemeteries off the beaten path inevitably got distracted.  I don't think either of us know how to stay on a trail.  There is always something you see off trail and have to go check out and before we knew it, we were god knows where.  There is another network of trails through old winter hut sites which haven't been marked yet (the park is maintained by volunteers, not the state or county, and with Covid, projects got slowed down), but they usually all interconnect each other.  However, following a road trace, we got lost and looking at maps on my phone, we weren't even in the park anymore! 🤦An already long story shorter, we finally did find our way out, but we had logged almost 5 miles.  Interestingly, although we were dying from overexertion, dehydration (suppose to be a short jaunt, not a 5-mile bushwhack), I felt energized.  It was the best medicine just to be out in the great outdoors and moving again.  I was amazed how good I did feel and do, despite the chigger bites (you don't leave the trail for grassy areas in the summer).

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

On my braver days in this weather I pack cooler ice packs frozen in jacket or shirt or knapsacks with my water bottles. Quick cool down for heat or sunstroke.

Braver days are when I can hike more than 3 miles round trip. Sharper image dot something ,used to make neck fans.

At least my last oopsie finally fixed my tail bone👍

wood floors are great for bouncing,  roots hurt . Not going to be really brave until mid-August when this 💩 is fixed I hope.

With all of the tests were both going through I swear I glow on some nights.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

This summer has been different for sure. I've never had to keep my AC on constantly before. Usually at night I can cut it back and open the windows, but the humidity...better known as "the air you can wear" has been worse than ever this year. Right now the temp is lower...90, but the "feels like" is 100. It's just never ending. They say the next weekend should bring lower humidity, but they've been saying there's going to be rain, LOL. Tell that to the brown lawns.

@Frozenoem ...glad you are recuperating. Take it slow and hold onto things! Don't go out in the wind. We wouldn't want you to blow away.

@LaDolceVita ...You are still waiting for that better weather, too. Hope it comes early this year.

@MsStretch ...How are those yucky days treating you? Are any of the rounds over yet?

@DaveMcK ...Thanks for taking us into August. Not sure why it is so hard for me to get here regularly.

You all take care. Stay hydrated!

Time for some...

iced coffee.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Cooling off just hit 66* and hear thunder coming with rain, my lawn is crunchy but, their old clover and wild strawberries, it’s green-ish and doesn’t require watering.

Opting to ignore it until I feel better👍Time for a gallon of ice cream to go with my chicken or whatever and squash.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone out there on this sunny Saturday morning. We are expecting a strong storm this afternoon/evening..

I again tested positive for Covid this morning for the 6th morning in a row. 

Hopefully it is running its course and I should be able to get out and about next week. 

Hoping everyone out there is doing well.

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Hopefully getting the same weather pattern with a

cold front coming in on Monday or Tuesday.Back to 50* nights vs 80’s, and rain.👍

The last week here has felt like Florida ,hot and humid, Rain or Hail by night with luck, depending upon area of state.

Feel open windows in my future for night relief from A/C.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK ...Sorry to hear about the covid. My friends, husband and wife, both vaxxed and boosted returned from a motorcycle trip to SD only to have the husband end up in the hospital with covid pneumonia, and the wife testing positive. She had mild symptoms...like a head cold, and he is out of the hospital now and both are OK.

@Frozenoem ...put out the flag, I'm coming up! 😁 It's been awful here. All the lawns are brown. We need rain and relief from these triple digit heat indexes. Every time they say there will be some rain, it doesn't come. Counting on tomorrow for a little relief, but not in a severe storm, thank you. Just give us some plain old rain. Tired of the AC on all the time. Can't even enjoy the front porch.

Hang in there, everyone!

UGH!UGH!

Hi folks, hot & humid here in the mountains.  As humid as it was in the lowlands!   Really looking forward to fall, doing my usual countdown.  

Moving is not for sissies.  The last time I moved, 31 years ago it was not a big deal.  Now my brain is not foggy, it is frozen, during extreme stress I cannot think at all.  I hope I am not slipping permanently.  I made mistakes in paying bills and in all kinds of mental tasks.  On the good side, there are lovely mountains views when I go to hardware store and grocery store.  One more negative.  The pace of traffic is frenzied.  Stores are mobbed.  The brochures at the chamber talk of slow pace of small town mountain life.  I fear covid brought so many people here that slow pace is gone forever.

Honored Social Butterfly

Temperature setting on my A/C is saving me on beaucoup bucks, 79* with econ cold setting has me wearing a hoodie in house. Beats the 94* outside and humidity.

On that cheery note , need to vacuum the floor vents and spread the cool to bedrooms upstairs.

Probably another name for them 1860 house, old tech still works. Hole in floor with brass register to prevent unpleasant surprises when you fall through to first floor.

Register that’s it.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

@LaDolceVita 

@catwoman500 

Saturday August 6 - Success finally, had surgery 3 days ago and have been practicing sleeping.

Can’t wait to speak to Doctor, all I recall is you know you’re very skinny 150, trust me I’ve 

noticed.

Need a gallon of ice cream in moderation and coffee. Temp is 94*, expect by September or October to be healed, until then vacation.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , glad you finally got past the surgery phase, now time to look ahead to recupe and recovery and put the 'hard' part behind you. 👍

@Frozenoem   I hope you are feeling well and not suffering pain.   Looks like we are heading into the milder part of summer, although it still feels very humid.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Only hurts if I forget the rules, don’t move shoulder or arm higher than shoulder. Sleep only on your back, don’t push or pull more than 10 lbs with left arm, not easy for lefty.Made climbing stairs fun. Thus far still walking upright 👍, no bounces off floor or roads or trails.

@MsStretch 

I’ve become one of the beanpoles from other group in tapatalk land,, 32x34, doesn’t matter how much I eat, don’t gain metabolism has gone haywire.

Recupe I hope, need my blubber for Winter, right now a breeze of 30 sends me flying.Next problem to address, amongst others. Time to call Doctors and then maybe sleep again.Or PT for legs and back, nope need both arms.

Hope you’re fairing better, soon we’ll both back to hiking, miss the woods, looking at them just isn’t the same. Last night I passed a moose and calf on main drag and didn’t even bother plotting escape route, we both just looked at each other.😎

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Wow, time has flown since I last checked in.  But these days every day is like the next.  Have one bad day every two weeks -- day after the infusion pump is removed, I am just resigned to staying in bed.  It's like having a really, REALLY bad hangover.  And since I haven't drank any alcohol for 30? years, I really hate the reminder.  But I keep telling myself, one more session down, one less to go.

@Frozenoem , glad you're getting the surgery finally.  Yeah, surgery is a PITA, too, but once you get it done, you can focus on moving forward to better things and better days and putting it behind you.

Got to enjoy the noise and fireworks from surrounding neighbors.  *said facetiously*  But at one point just before dark, I thought I saw someone sitting in a lawn chair on the side of the street.  Wha...???  I live at the end of a dead-end street and I wandered down the driveway to investigate.  A guy who lives across the street had set up a mini-fireworks show in the middle of the cul-de-sac for his mother.  Nothing grandiose, mostly set up in cans, little sprays and booms, but I thought it was very cool that his mother was enjoying their own private little display and I almost grabbed a lawn chair, too.  Of course, fireworks started blasting from surrounding areas and you could almost see them over the tops of the trees.  Cats were gone, but this wasn't their first 4th, although it is still traumatic for them. They always show up later looking wild-eyed and discombobulated and some yahoo always has to set off that last firecracker late at night and send everyone into a panicked frenzy again. 😒 I'm sure there will some leftovers tonight, too.

@catwoman500 , great fun to play those old games, isn't it?  Especially those old board games.  My neighbor and I will do that every so often.  It is funny how we will remember the rules differently though, and usually have to pull out the instructions for a refresher course.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Fireworks in my little backwater consisted of 4, think the presence of STate PD, Wardens and drought warnings actually worked this year.

Might have also been earlier memory of White Mountain Forest fire.

Only had one wildlife type visitor last night, heard it and his mother and decided they could do as they pleases. It was a bear and cub have to warn neighbor to lock his grill in the shed in future If they don’t wish visitors playing with their kids or foo foo dog.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

@MsStretch ...I sure hope you are making some good progress even though the ugly days keep you missing one day every 2 weeks! 😾

@Frozenoem ...just don't go outside looking to scare the bear! LOL

My good friends who live in the woods had to take down all their bird

feeders years ago because of the pesky bear who would come around. They have been bear free for a good long time now. 🐻

Yes, there were loads of loud boomers on the 4th, (also the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd!

😠)

Got to see a couple of the pretty ones in the sky on my way home from playing games though.

Time for some you know what...

I make coffee disappear.jpg

You all take care!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Everyone,

Just checking in to make sure you are all surviving in the heat.

It's going to get worse before it gets better here in the Philly area.

You all hang in there. Keep cool, and HYDRATE! 🚰

hot sun.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m alive and feeling every second of it, finally have a date set for surgery if I don’t catch Covid again. It’s is easier to survive with 2 shots and 2 updated boosters.The inability to catch my breath was a true PITA for a couple of days.The 3-week self-imposed quarantine was also same. flFinally have food and coffee 🥘 in house.

Sometime on August get my pre-surgery Covid test and lab work for day surgery 👍 and battery. Personally can’t wait , getting to be a major posterior pain falling 34” to sitting or fetal position.

Have been busy updating my network and computers.

Forth of July will consist of learning how to sit as intended vs laying down. Last fall put me in brace again, only for mobility, and to lessen my cussing (really, really colorful) language.

Hope everyone enjoys the forth, a virtual ribeye to all. Doctor recommended for my diet too many salmon filets from lake.If lucky maybe I’ll gain some weight.

Froze

Hi I am back, trying to settle into the new house & routine.  Mom's companion left me high and dry and did not move with us.  You can imagine the pickle I was in, trying to get things  somewhat normal and having charge of mom full time.  I have not had full care of her since December of 2019.  Anyway, companion will join us this coming Monday.

I see @Frozenoem will have surgery soon and has had covid?  Still trying to catch up with everyone's posts.  Glad to see you all again!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Welcome back, I’ve been at someone else’s camp without cellphone👍. My happiness is 1800 to 3600 acre lakes, for relaxing and letting the world go by.

I’m sure that things will improve after your settled, in at the new house and with your mom.

@catwoman500 

No worries with me and bears, I’ve lived with Maine’s wildlife since 1989, on coast and in mountains.

The only versions that truly scare me are wildcats or the bobcat variety, especially while in a tent. With maturity that was replaced with hard sided truck campers and real beds, or camps with actual walls.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, All!

Holy cow, @Frozenoem, so glad you are feeling a bit better! Thank goodness for those shots and boosters. Maybe another booster coming up in the fall?

Fourth of July was kind of low key for me. Two friends and I went out for a meal and then back to the one's house for a game night. We haven't played games in ages, and it was hilarious trying to remember the rules and how much each card was worth. We felt like bunch of monkeys! 🐒

Of course, there was too much food at dinner, so we all have a repeat for tonight...saves thinking and cooking! 

Hope everyone is happy and healthy and keeping cool. Enjoy July without any severe weather!

RWB starfish.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@MsStretch 

@LaDolceVita 

Dang it’s hot, even here, last night at 8:30pm 80* in the rain, today expected highs in upper 80’s again.

Today probably A/C in, I’m hot and moving it 14” down, pre-planning last Fall. Root cellar or bsmt is cold👍, house was comfy until 9 pm, Them heat came in, May be adding more insulation when cooler, don’t know if it will help when -50*F but, about now I’d welcome the coolness.

Hope all are well , cool and hydrated. 

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP