Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recent premium increase for United Healthcare coverages

Contributor

Recent premium increase for United Healthcare coverages

I am absolutely appalled at the just announced price increases for United Healthcare coverage. The increase in RX (over 90%) announced during the last open enrollment was enough force me to make a change and now the supplemental health coverage increase (22%) is astounding. As their primary selling agent, you should anticipate my changing to another, more affordable carrier at my first opportunity and hopefully a boatload of others doing the same. Shameful, unjustified, heartless, and ridiculous. Shame on both you and United Healthcare.  

Contributor

Same here - I am looking into another company that may sell me a policy at issue age - so I don;t ever have to deal with this again - shame on AARP for allowing this and selling it to the seniors they are "protecting".  Looking at Physicians Mututal plan G if they will sell it to me.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

II am in total agreement with these comments.  I do not understand how an organization such as AARP who is supposed to be the voice of seniors, will allow this company to continue to advertise their health insurance as a benefit to seniors.  These rate increases are outrageous!  How are we supposed to pay for living expenses, food, medicine, gasoline, other insurances, etc. when this company continues to raise its premiums every single doggone year???? And they aren't small increases, either.  Shame on you, AARP!  I am going to have to shop around and see where I can get a cheaper supplemental that my doctors will accept! 

Honored Social Butterfly

@maeella9 wrote . . . . . 

โ€œ  I am going to have to shop around and see where I can get a cheaper supplemental that my doctors will accept! โ€œ

====================================

Your doctor does NOT have to accept  any particular MediGAP plan (Medicare Supplemental Insurance) - they only have to accept Medicare because you MediGAP plan of whatever letter ONLY picks up the share of the cost which Medicare does not cover.

MediGAP insurance is not health insurance - it makes NO decisions on  your medicare care.  MediGAP insurance is a financial protection product which covers some or all or your medical liability which Original Medicare does not cover.

Because of the product, the rating method used and who it insures - yes, your MediGAP policy will go up in premium cost sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. 

As Medicare coverage might expand in costly treatments and test - your premiums will go up - an example of this is the new Alzheimerโ€™s treatment and required testing - all under Part B.  Or a new expensive infused chemotherapy to treat cancer - Part B.  

So the more we use Original Medicare, your MediGap premiums can go up. 

Original Medicare and a very inclusive MediGAP plan  like Plan G is the cadillac of coverage - especially since there is NO maximum out of pocket limit to Original Medicare.  

There are other MediGAP plans that arenโ€™t as inclusive like the MediGAP Plan G HIGH DEDUCTIBLE PLAN - where premiums are much less but the beneficiary shares in some of the risk ( $ 2700 per year currently).  Just as an example - if one has a Plan G, their monthly premiums might be $ 200 a month (or MORE in certain areas) but a Plan G HIGH DEDUCTIBLE in the same area and same plan is only $ 50 a month - because you would also pay that High Deductible of $ 2700 a year IF you have used it that much.

This is one of the reasons why many Medicare Beneficiaries choose a Medicare Advantage (MA)plan over Original Medicare with a Medigap plan.  Under the MA, which is Medicare managed care, they pay low or no monthly premiums but have copays, coinsurance, networks and a maximum out of pocket because these beneficiaries feel this is a better plan for their pocketbook and health needs.

Please read up on MediGAP and know what you are buying and how premium cost will rise over time -

Medicare.gov- Medigap Basics Explained

Just want you to understand what you are buying and are getting your best value - it is sometimes hard or even impossible to add or change a medigap policy in some states without underwriting.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

IF you are interested, here is Nerdwallet's Physicians Mutual Medicare Supplement Insurance 2024 Review

Good Luck in your quest - are you going to be effected by underwriting?

0 Kudos
Contributor

already been to nerd wallet - I have done extensive research -already.  I am def switching as soon as I find the right one.  

0 Kudos

Same here. I just today learned that my and my husbandโ€™s UHC Rx premiums increased by 92%โ€”from $40.90 to $78.80 EACH, effective Jan 1 2024!  I do not at all remember being notified about this increase because it strikes me that a 92% increase of ANYTHING is certainly something Iโ€™d take note of.  Too, I was never notified that I had an outstanding balance until I received an e-mail to that effect just last week. This is beyond shamefulโ€”it feels criminal and I am appalled that AARP is stands behind this. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@marianne718 

In the late summer or early fall of 2023, you should have gotten a 2024 edition of your free standing UHC RX plan Explanation of Benefits - it would have covered all the 2024 changes to the plan including premium increases, new deductibles, formulary changes - these plans are only issued for 1-year at a time since changes are made each year and you are given an Open Enrollment period during Oct - Dec to change plans based on your most current needs.

2024 was the beginning of several legislative changes - You are going to be getting more from these Part D plans like monthly supply of insulin for $ 35 with no deductible, like a declining out of pocket expense that begins in 2025 - like restricting the amount of premium increases beginning in 2025 - 

If this plan does not fit you and your needs - then change to one that does in the fall of 2024.  

Are you low income?  If so, look up the income threshold in your state for the program of โ€œEXTRA HELPโ€ and apply for it.   SSA.gov- EXTRA HELP

I wrote this in this same thread on 03/18/2024 -  it explains many of these new benefits - so yes, if you get more, you pay more.

As a beneficiary of a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, the government has negotiated several really big cost saving changes that will go into effect in 2024, 2025 and 2026 and also a restriction of how much premiums can go up beginning in the following years.  So as a result of these changes, the insurers are doing some adjustments in their premiums for this year to get ready for this additional coverage they are going to have to bear come beginning in 2025.

Did you think that these things would just occur without cost?

KFF.ORG- 04/23/2023 - Changes to Medicare Part D in 2024 and 2025 Under the Inflation Reduction Act ...

Itโ€™s also been in the regular MSN

CNBC 11/23/2023 - Retirees face significantly higher Medicare Part D prescription drug premiums in 2...

Where your money is involved, pay attention to the government - you donโ€™t get anything for FREE.

0 Kudos

It is a ridiculous increase. AND since they changed the timing of their increases to June instead of year end, like other plans, you can not compare prices for the new year. This has been underhanded and sneaky.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Medicare.gov - GET MEDIGAP COST

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@lhall12 

Bet if you read through your EOC (Explanation of Coverage) you might see that they might be able to raise premium twice a year, sometimes even more.

That isnโ€™t regulated at the Federal level.  State, maybe.

Everbody needs to understand that MediGAP policies are gonna go up, Up and UP because of what they are based upon - Medical cost of a senior group.

• Goes up in rating method
  • Goes up when Medicare coverage expands especially when the expansion involves very costly treatments, Part B meds, etc.
  • Goes up when auxiliary benefits increase in cost
  • Goes up with utilization of Medicare coverage
  • Goes up when the beneficiary is exposed to a declining premium discount

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just retired and began Medicare coverage in September 2023.  A Medicare Benefits Consultant advised me to select AARP United Healthcare as my supplemental coverage.  My initial premium was reasonable; however, after less than eight months as a plan member, I received yesterday from AARP United Healthcare a letter about an increase to my Medicare Supplement Plan G. I am appalled at the huge increase. My premium increased more than 14%, an increase of 24.28 per month.  If I want to switch Medicare supplement providers, I would have to go through underwriting.  I certainly feel trapped by this situation and am unsure what to do next.   If AARP United Healthcare keeps increasing the cost each year at such a high rate, I will soon be priced out of getting supplemental health care coverage. I am appalled that AARP, an organization that I respect, would allow United Healthcare to get away with taking advantage of seniors who are on fixed incomes.

Contributor

Actually, I just discovered that the increase was 15.3%, far more than the rate of inflation.

Periodic Contributor

Outrageous!

Honored Social Butterfly

@RitaC373420 

GAP insurance premiums for Medicare is based on a lot of different things - MEDICAL inflation is but just one.  The coverage extensions to some relatively expensive treatments covered under Medicare could be another [like the new Alzheimerโ€™s treatment coverage].  The expanded Part B coverage of insulin for pumps could be another.  When more benefits are added, the GAP coverage is there to pick up their part of the increase in coverage benefits.

Then there could also be a reduction of any premium discount which you might be under and of course, the rating method of your plan.  I believe that many UHC Medigap plans have such a declining discount.

Or if there is an added benefit in your policy outside of the standard federally mandated coverage, that part of the premium could also go up - like for gym participation or something else - cause these are outside of the plan coverage and are extra benefits.

I canโ€™t tell you specifically why it went up - maybe your state can or the insurer.

However, here is a notice that UHC sent to the state of Vermont in November of 2023 discussing their increase premiums for 2024 MediGAP plans - 

https://www.uhc.com/content/dam/uhcdotcom/en/Legal/required-state-notices/2024-VT-Rate-Increase-Just... 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with United Healthcare, @RitaC373420. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As a beneficiary of a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, the government has negotiated several really big cost saving changes that will go into effect in 2024, 2025 and 2026 and also a restriction of how much premiums can go up beginning in the following years.  So as a result of these changes, the insurers are doing some adjustments in their premiums for this year to get ready for this additional coverage they are going to have to bear come beginning in 2025.

Did you think that these things would just occur without cost?

KFF.ORG- 04/23/2023 - Changes to Medicare Part D in 2024 and 2025 Under the Inflation Reduction Act ...

Itโ€™s also been in the regular MSN

CNBC 11/23/2023 - Retirees face significantly higher Medicare Part D prescription drug premiums in 2...

Where your money is involved, pay attention to the government - you donโ€™t get anything for FREE.

Contributor

I just received notice from UHC that my Medigap plan premium is increasing 4/1/2024. When I signed up for the plan during open enrollment, the premium was slightly higher than last years. How can they increase the premium 4 months later, when open enrollment has ended and I cannot change plans until next year? This is bait and switch. I informed AARP and I'm contacting the Govt next.

Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with UnitedHealthcare, @LauraA422032. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

Honored Social Butterfly

Medigap premium.increases are reviewed and approved by your stateโ€™s dept of insurance.  There is NOT an OPEN enrollment period for Medigap plans - there is only the initial enrollment period except in some states with a โ€œbirthday ruleโ€ or some sort of state rule that allows you to change plans based on some criteria.  

Open enrollment is only for Medicare Advantage plans or a Medicare Prescription Drug plan NOT a MediGAP plan.

Yes, Medigap plans can go up - they go up because of medical inflation plus based on whatever method they use to rate the MediGAP plan that you picked 

• community rated
  • issue age rated
  • attained age rated

They could do each of these separately - medical inflation 1st then a rated-based claim next.  Or actually for any other reason that passes your stateโ€™s approval system - 

After all, MediGAP policies arenโ€™t health insurance - they are financial protection insurance to protect you from the โ€œlimitlessโ€ out of pocket cost in Original Medicare which the beneficiary has to bear.  

Some people handle this by getting a Medicare Advantage plan where the Medicare out of pocket cost are restricted under these managed care insurers.  Others get a MediGAP to pay this Medicare out of pocket and continue to pay higher and higher premium as they continue their original Medicare coverage.  Your MediGAP plan will continue to go up in premium cost - how much?  Who knows but the risk pool that you are in within your plan will get older and older and usually this may mean sicker and sicker.

MediGAP insurers are getting hit pretty hard in the last few years because now people are getting back to seeing their doctors regularly  which they stopped doing during the PHE (Public Health Emergency - i.e. Covid Pandemic).  

0 Kudos
Contributor

According to CMS and the benefits company my old employer uses, as well as the UHC plan document, I cannot change plans after the open enrollment period.  There are a few exceptions, and being misled is one of them. My issue is more with how it was done: 8% increase during enrollment, then again a few months later. Had I known the second increase (15%) was coming, it would have better informed my decision on which policy to buy,

Honored Social Butterfly

@LauraA422032  wrote

According to CMS and the benefits company my old employer uses, as well as the UHC plan document . . . . 

++++++++++++++++++++++++

For clarity ~

By the above comment do you mean you have Retiree Coverage and that is where you are getting your UHC Medigap plan?

So it isn't an AARP-UHC branded policy?  What does your old employer have to do with it?   

If so, some other Medicare info may be pertinent.

Medicare.gov - Retiree insurance & Medicare

If this is a Retiree type Medigap policy - it is different.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

No, I don't have retiree coverage. My old employer offers a service (a broker?) that helps with medicare coverage. There isn't a difference in cost but I do benefit from an HRA provided by my old employer. I have an AARP branded UHC plan.

Contributor

Wow! Add me to the list.

I just received my AARP UHC Plan N rate increase notice today. 11.7% increase mid year. My AARP UHC Rx more than doubled last fall after the aforementioned previous increase for Plan N. I too have a broker, ViaBenefits through the employer I retired from.

It seems like in the overall effort to reduce health care and prescription costs for some results in the majority paying more through premium increases.

It will be time to call the broker next open enrollment and shop around.

Community Concierge

@JamesH549418, we are also concerned by price increases that in some cases would double the cost of peopleโ€™s monthly premiums AARP knows that any increases, let alone ones on this scale, are difficult to manage โ€“ especially for people on fixed incomes. A major driver of these increases is the underlying  prices of prescription drugs charged by pharmaceutical companies. It is why AARP has fought so hard to bring down those prices, including by allowing Medicare to negotiate for better prices on behalf of consumers. Thanks to the law that passed last year, Medicare now has that ability with the first negotiated prices taking effect in 2026.

If you are interested in learning more about other available plans during open enrollment, please contact Medicare directly at: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). You can also use the comparison tool on the Medicare website: medicare.gov/plan-compare/ - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/18/24) @LauraA422032 , good for you!!! If enough people complain, MAYBE AARP will care.  ๐Ÿ™„  Good Luck.  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** LAURA @LauraA422032 wrote:

I just received notice from UHC that my Medigap plan premium is increasing 4/1/2024. When I signed up for the plan during open enrollment, the premium was slightly higher than last years. How can they increase the premium 4 months later, when open enrollment has ended and I cannot change plans until next year? This is bait and switch. I informed AARP and I'm contacting the Govt next. ***]

Contributor

AARP called me this morning and is working it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/19/24) That is AWESOME @LauraA422032 !!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** LAURA @LauraA422032 wrote:

AARP called me this morning and is working it. ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote

. . . . . If enough people complain, MAYBE AARP will care . . . 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

They may โ€œcareโ€ but there is little they can do - they ONLY get royalty payments from UHC for use of their name in the promotion of their product - AARP has nothing to do with the benefits or premiums of the insurance company.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Nicole! We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. -Sue J

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP