Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Re: Early Renewal Notices

I still have 4 years until 2025 expiration. Is AARP trying to fool seniors in paying over & over for their membership? I thought they were protecting seniors. I constantly get notices to renew. I have even called to complain, they don't stop!

My wife has dementia and thought we were supposed to renew. I've had to start handling all AARP mailings because of this, just like I do scam mail. Not only that, if you call with a problem about your AARP insurance, they ask you to renew at the end of the call. This is just outright taking advantage of vulnerable seniors. Will be looking for other insurance options. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@EdwinW843393 Hi Edwin, I'm here to help. You may be interested in checking out the Automatic Renewal option. Automatic Renewal is an easy and convenient way to ensure that your membership with AARP continues automatically each year, meaning you won't have to manually renew your membership by mail or online. We won't mail you any renewal notices and we'll only remind you once a year before we charge your account. If you'd like to look into this, I invite you to visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/automatic-renewal-how-to-set-up Please let me know if there's anything I can do. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree with some of comments regarding AARP trying to fool seniors into renewing their membership when it's not expired yet. Shame on AARP for trying to take advantage of seniors. As for the Political Forum, I agree people are to divided to discuss politics in todays climate. So, if AARP doesn't promote political exchanges than they too, should be willing to keep politics out of the AARP platform. 

Contributor

I renewed on a special 8 yr for the 5 year price. It's been 5 years and AARP terminated my membership and said I had to renew. They claim to help seniors so they can exploit them. I will never have a membership again, especially since there is no way to get in touch with anyone to try and fix the problem. They will probably deny it anyway, and say I am just old and crazy. BUT, when I renew something, I have a list as to when it will expire.

Contributor

My on time money is a positive reward for AARP INC.   You employees of AARP INC are totally out of touch with your dues paying members who provide you employees with a job.   The only way to communicate with AARP INC is by a busy long distance telephone operator, who addresses my questions and concerns on the fly.   Therefore I will advocate all members to communicate to AARP INC more effectively with a negative reward to AARP INC.   Everytime a member receives an AARP INC membership past dues done by email, use your computer in your account link to request the mailing out of a newly printed AARP INC membership card .  This is free for AARP INC members to do and clearly shows when AARP INC membership card  will expire.  The total cost of AARP INC expense of printing, handling and postage should fix their little red wagon mentality and maybe stop this nuicense.  More thinking outside the box may be necessary to persuade AARP INC to establish an online internet help desk to address questions and concerns in a manner unlike the on the fly telephone operator's shallow intellectual  response.  And yes, the Blessed Virgin Mother Mary,Untier of Knots has asked me to stop from making more knots in the ribbon of my life concerning this matter and to take up my Rosary and pray with love in my heart.  Amen.

0 Kudos

Same issue, plus the cardboard membership card. From mail that used to be accepted, now bounced from a "do-not-reply" mail address.

Taken a while to respond.

I received my โ€œpermanentโ€ card. A piece of cheap cardboard. Works well in a very high humidity place like Miami.  Cardboard. And you people have the guts to ask for donations? Can you honestly justify not supplying a real card, the cost of which is nominal? You people screw around, asking members to renew 6 months or more before renewal date, then you send CARDBOARD?

Pretty trashy. Second class all the way.

Below; a copy of my response sent in September, 2020, for the first notice of my 2021 JUNE expiration:

Then donโ€™t you think it a bit trashy to send a notice for renewal in June or July of 2020, requesting response by 8/16/2020? Particularly since I was then unable to review my account because of incompetence on the website builders part, with my logon credentials unchanged from years of use, as well as the amazingly insulting sign-in process where one has to pick out things like bridges and cars in lousy photos, requiring zooming control for those with monitors set for something other than for people with poor vision and need to set their monitors at high magnification.

Organizations such as yours where renewals are requested months and years in advance, particularly when they refuse to post the user expiration date on the face of the renewal, should have closer Federal regulation to eliminate misrepresentation.

Community Concierge

@nj167774  Let's look into this. When you have a moment, please give us a call: 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) so we can investigate those mailings. Also, please keep in mind that any mailings addressed to "Valued Member" are mass mailings that go to all households and they are not specifically directed to you.

I've been receiving renewal notices for years not even a month after renewing. It is a total waste of paper and I can't imagine how much waste that creates in a year or even a day. I usually just throw them in the trash all of this time I thought huh well I wonder how many other people are having that problem? It looks like fair amount of people and people like me who have asked that this stop... For years.

I read earlier that one way to stop this is by signing up for auto pay which seems like a bit of a scam actually. Either way somebody's going to be paying more whether they mistakenly renew their active membership or whether they forget to stop their auto pay

If you do really have seniors interests at heart fix these things and give no more excuses. How hard can it be?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@nancym697421 Thank you for taking the time to reach out, Nancy. We appreciate your membership! It can take up to 4-6 weeks for renewal notices to stop once your payment is processed because pre printed labels are used. Any renewal notice that you receive after making a payment was printed before your payment was received. This article will show you how to check when your membership expires: https://aarp.info/2F6T1E2 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not necessarily true.  I have received numerous numberous renewal notices (with my name on mailing not addressed to valued member).  My notices of renewal started MONTHS before my subscription expired.  Please use the postage $$ for a good cause as is promoted by AARP!!!  Thank you

I am having the same problem.  My membership is paid through May 2024 and I already received a mailing addressed to me about renewing my membership.  Today I received an email titled "Renew now to extend your great AARP member benefits." I immediately assumed my annual membership had not been renewed (I did it on their website using my credit card in April), yet when I opened the email, it says "Your membership status is active through May 2023" and "Now's a great time to renew" to receive my great AARP benefits for the next year. If I already paid for a year, I should be "receiving my great benefits for the next year." If I wanted to renew for 2 or 3 years, I would have. Stop with the deceptive mail and emails. They are worded in a way that  takes advantage of not-so-savy seniors. And a lot of us are on a tight budget, especially due to the pandemic, and the last thing we need is to pay you more money.

0 Kudos

I have called to complain about this very thing, every year. Your organization knows very well about this. I used to do mass mailings for a small company and I was able to customize selection by customer status or demographics. Maybe it is time to place complaints about this elsewhere.

I am paid up through February of 2026 and am also receiving renewal notices.
This is certainly not following AARP's charter of being an advocate for seniors. The practice of soliciting membership renewal years before it is required should be stopped. I would like to see a reply from AARP regarding this.

Honored Social Butterfly

I negotiate all my subscriptions from xm radio, to the newspaper, to Time Magazine, to AARP membership.

I get at least 50% to 75% off the regular rate for XM, 50% off my newspaper, got 3 years of Time for $30, and, best of all, got five years of AARP for $31, not the $16 a year ($80 for five years) they try to charge you.

It pays to negotiate your subscriptions, especially if you are on a fixed income.

Contributor

who do you negotiate with as it is almost impossible to get a human?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP