Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Members under age 50

I am distressed to see that AARP, an organization that purports to be for "retired persons" allows membership for individuals under age 50.  I have appreciated having an organization to advocate for rights of older adults.  Young people have different priorities than older adults and plenty of perks.  Why are they allowed to join this organization???  I am considering canceling my membership as I can obtain perks elsewhere.  Sadly, you are not an organization for retired persons any more.

Community Concierge

@SusanM402913 I hope you reconsider and decide to stick with us, Susan! AARP was formerly known as American Association of Retired Persons. People do not have to be retired to join AARP. In fact, 44% of AARP members are currently still working. For these reasons, AARP shortened its name in 1999 from the American Association of Retired Persons to just four letters: AARP. While we still own the name American Association of Retired Persons, our new name reflects the full diversity of our membership. We welcome members between the ages of 18 and 50 to enjoy all of the benefits of membership that are not restricted by law or contract, like age-restricted insurance products. I'm always here to help if you need anything, please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything I can do!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for your message.  Unfortunately, I renewed my membership through 2025, so I'm stuck for a couple of years; however, I will cancel when that expires and simply keep membership at Costco.  AARP is no different, except I actually can shop at Costco!  The perks are no longer relevant since I thought I was getting something special as a senior and I am not any longer.  There is NO advocacy organization that simply serves seniors any more!  With more members under age 50, priorities will change.  The very reason I joined (and my husband, who is older than I am) was to belong to an organization that is purely for seniors.  There are plenty of other organizations that serve the general population.  

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@SusanM402913 AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live as they age. Our priorities will never change. I invite you to learn more about what we do on our site: https://www.aarp.org/what-we-do/ and you can also check out how we advocate for you and our other 38 million members here: https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy//

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I'm not sure of the ages you've written about, but please remember membership is open to spouses? So how should this be governed if someone weds someone under 50?

Based on experience in Cali in the 80s, that is age-discrimation...

I believe in AARP; have lifetime membership and purchased for sibs when they qualified. But I remember a former co-worker who lost her mind when she received AARP invitation. So angry she disrupted the office (this was back in pre-inet days when mail was paper).

My thought is it is for some, not for all?

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP