Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Send a Prescription Back?

I take a prescription med for sleep and the generic that I just received from Optum does nothing. I still have maybe 10 left from Costco that work fine. However since this is a low level controlled medication, zolpidem, I can't just turn around and order them from somewhere else I would have to return these somehow. I'm not looking for 90 extra zolpidem just to return these to someone and order some that work. I really doubt anyone that answers the phone at Optum will understand what I am asking since they're like talking to a brick wall so I was hoping someone here has some insight into how this would be accomplished. I'm going to ask my doctors office about it also just figured I'd ask here.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JimJ439704 wrote:
I take a prescription med for sleep and the generic that I just received from Optum does nothing. I still have maybe 10 left from Costco that work fine. However since this is a low level controlled medication, zolpidem, I can't just turn around and order them from somewhere else I would have to return these somehow. I'm not looking for 90 extra zolpidem just to return these to someone and order some that work. I really doubt anyone that answers the phone at Optum will understand what I am asking since they're like talking to a brick wall so I was hoping someone here has some insight into how this would be accomplished. I'm going to ask my doctors office about it also just figured I'd ask here.

No, you cannot return the zolpidem you got from Optum -

Find Law - Is It Illegal to Return Prescription Drugs?

There are several manufacturers of generic medication.  Do the pills look the same, including any markings on the different tabs from Costco and Optum?

If they look different, even down to their markings, look up the actual look or have a pharmacist do it and see if the medication is what it is labeled.

If they are exactly the same - they should be identical in action. 

Make sure that you aren't taking another medication which stops the action of this med. Make sure that you are taking this sedation on an empty stomach.. 

WebMD.com - Ambien GENERIC NAME: Zolpidem

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Regular Contributor

The link you posted states its a pharmacy policy not a law and the story only relates to CVS not to Optum at all. Since Optum is mail order they probably don't but Optum wouldn't even be able to answer that question, lol. The generic they sent has the most variance from the real thing. I know each and every available generic for ambien, the markings and the ingredients that vary from the original. The prescription bottles have the manufacturer written on them also. A few of these are exact or very close while this one has numerous added ingredients. The FDA allows differences in bioavailability of the active ingredient in generics. This is an extended release so the other ingredients and how they're assembled has a lot to do with whether the pills work the same or not. The garbage they sent me acts just like the regular zolpidem not the extended release version. Ambien CR other ingredients silicon dioxide Ambien FD&C Blue No. 2 lactose monohydrate magnesium stearate microcrystalline cellulose potassium bitartrate titanium dioxide ferric oxide yellow Sun Pharmaceutical zolpidem XR from OptumRX other ingredients lactose monohydrate microcrystalline cellulose ferric oxide yellow hypromelloses sodium starch glycolate type A potato magnesium stearate tartaric acid shellac propylene glycol butyl alcohol ferrosoferric oxide ammonia magnesium silicate polyethylene glycol polysorbate 80 OptumRX says they will only send in whatever they have in stock which wasn't a responce to whether they would honor a prescription that specified a certain generic brand. Emailing them is a lot like talking to them over the phone, useless. This just pushes me more to say goodbye to UHC and their English as a second language customer service. If I use CVS through UHC it costs much more. If I use Aetna and use CVS its the same cost and I can refuse a prescription at the counter if it's this garbage.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JimJ439704 

Unless you can prove a mistake in the actual Rx, most pharmacies aren't gonna take it back - especially a mail order pharmacy.

Yes, most large pharmacies and even the VA Health System, will get the generic that gives them the best price and this can change because of continuing negotiations.  The FDA says that any generic has to be effectively the same (bioequivalent) as the brand that it replaces.  But yes, the fillers or inactive ingredients may change.  

A generic drug must also:

• Be identical to the brand-name drug in strength, dosage form, and how you take the drug.
  • Be prescribed for the same conditions and in the same way as brand-name drugs for those conditions
  • Meet the same requirements for identity, strength, purity, and quality as the brand-name drug
  • Be manufactured under the same standards of the FDAโ€™s good manufacturing practice regulations required for brand-name products

The generic has to produce the same effects as the brand - meaning that if you have an Rx for the time-release version, the generic has to also match that qualifier.

It sounds like you are on top of verifying any new "look" that the pharmacy might send to you.  I was only mentioning that so that you verify that they did send you the correct medication - mistakes do happen.  But it sounds like you have that covered.

GoodRx - Some Zolipdem Images

I don't know what else to tell you - except that yes, if you deal with a local pharmacy, you can refuse the med at the counter - your doc could also only prescribe the brand but at a higher price.

As an asside - if Medicare starts negotiating the cost of drugs to cut down on cost - any options for generic choice could be limited by the manufacturer that gives the best price.

I am still wondering if some concerned, sympathetic pharmacist in your area might have some other suggestions on the ineffectiveness of this particular batch of generics. 

So do the ones from Optum look identical to the ones that you got from Costco?  If you look them up and compare them in look and active ingredients or any other specifics like time-release versions - are they they same? 

Seems some on this Zolpidem User Review site have the same complaints.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/zolpidem/for-insomnia.html

If you could prove some difference(s) from your actual Rx, you might have a shot of getting some financial restitution from Optum - but it may be a long battle.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP